F
No votes

Total votes: 28

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,046

Re: 2021 Offseason 

Post#101 » by queridiculo » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:16 pm

dckingsfan wrote:I am just guessing we aren't going into full rebuild. I am guessing we have one more year of the Beal/Westbrook/Brooks experiment before we finally go into a real rebuild.

If you are Ted/Tommy and going all-in on this experiment - look for them to try to recruit another veteran which will make the rebuild that much harder.

You can't head into the season without securing an extension with Beal, that's the bottom line.

It would be the worst case of asset management to head into next season with a wishy washy plan of running it back and then ending up with having Beal exercise his player option to become a free agent.

This plan is to just see what happens is suicidal from a team building perspective.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,046

Post#102 » by queridiculo » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:18 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I absolutely hate Ben Simmons. He's a good kid , not as douchy as LeBron. But man the kid will not shoot the ball and he can't hit free throws. A shooter that bad is never gonna be an above average shooter. And he's injury prone. No thank you.
queridiculo wrote:I love Beal, but the Leonsis has only himself to blame for the timeline of a successful team built around Beal being **** up.

He'll be 28 in about three weeks, what are the chances Washington can put a legit team around him before he turns 30?

If I am Washington I'll setup a deal with the 76ers for Simmons.

He's locked up into his prime and would shift the timeline to be more favorable for Washington.

Once you secure a deal for Simmons, move Westbrook for the highest bidder and start over.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

You're willing to trade Beal for RJ Barrett and a bunch of meaningless picks but you'll balk at a deal that returns a soon to be 25 year old perennial All-Star and DPOY finalist?

That makes sense...
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#103 » by Dark Faze » Sun Jun 6, 2021 7:47 pm

Nah. Our FO is fully prepared to let Brad walk for nothing in the off-season.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#104 » by NatP4 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:16 pm

I’m not sure if it’s been posted or not, but in the playoffs, Daniel Gafford had a ridiculous +31.5 on/off differential. Obviously, that was 1st on the team by a mile. The next closest Wizard at #2 was Ish Smith at +19.4 and Neto at +5.8.

Gafford is the real deal. They need him on the court for as many minutes as possible next season.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#105 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:47 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’m not sure if it’s been posted or not, but in the playoffs, Daniel Gafford had a ridiculous +31.5 on/off differential. Obviously, that was 1st on the team by a mile. The next closest Wizard at #2 was Ish Smith at +19.4 and Neto at +5.8.

Gafford is the real deal. They need him on the court for as many minutes as possible next season.

Low post defense matters alot. He's the only reason we made the playoffs.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#106 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 6, 2021 8:48 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Nah. Our FO is fully prepared to let Brad walk for nothing in the off-season.

I don't think he goes the summer without at least another one year extension.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#107 » by mhd » Sun Jun 6, 2021 9:01 pm

Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I’m not sure if it’s been posted or not, but in the playoffs, Daniel Gafford had a ridiculous +31.5 on/off differential. Obviously, that was 1st on the team by a mile. The next closest Wizard at #2 was Ish Smith at +19.4 and Neto at +5.8.

Yup. He's the future at center. Our defense was actually passable because he can defend laterally and alter shots.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#108 » by DCZards » Sun Jun 6, 2021 9:11 pm

queridiculo wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I absolutely hate Ben Simmons. He's a good kid , not as douchy as LeBron. But man the kid will not shoot the ball and he can't hit free throws. A shooter that bad is never gonna be an above average shooter. And he's injury prone. No thank you.
queridiculo wrote:I love Beal, but the Leonsis has only himself to blame for the timeline of a successful team built around Beal being **** up.

He'll be 28 in about three weeks, what are the chances Washington can put a legit team around him before he turns 30?

He's locked up into his prime and would shift the timeline to be more favorable for Washington.

Once you secure a deal for Simmons, move Westbrook for the highest bidder and start over.

You're willing to trade Beal for RJ Barrett and a bunch of meaningless picks but you'll balk at a deal that returns a soon to be 25 year old perennial All-Star and DPOY finalist?

That makes sense...

Like Beal, Simmons will never be the best player on a championship team. Ben is just too limited offensively.

If you trade for Simmons you better be prepared to build a team of great perimeter shooters around him.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Post#109 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jun 6, 2021 9:55 pm

Dat2U wrote:

What is funny - we usually go into the off-season saying we need low post defense. Not this year.

I would hope Gafford becomes the starting C next year - Bryant/FA get to be the backups. I hope he really works on his conditioning so he can play ~28 minutes a game.

Kind of a luxury, no?
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Post#110 » by dckingsfan » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:01 pm

And of course the other off-season topic - which youngster will make the jump?

Avdija (20), Bonga (21), Gafford (22), Hachiura (22), Bryant (23), Hutchison (24) and Mathews (24).

And where do you cut-off the line for youngster? Note ages are as of today.

For me, I think it is going to be Avdija but not until the second half of the season.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#111 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:21 pm

You're willing to trade brad for the potential of Ben Simmons. Simmons wouldn't be an all star if that team was loosing and he has no signs of improvement in the shooting. I don't believe he's ever gonna be the LeBron everyone wants him to be. also his skills are heavily relient on his athletic ability he's one blow Achilles or one lingering knee problem away from him never being worth his next contract.

So yes I would trade beal for quickly, Barret toppin and 5 picks. That's 9 shots at talents under 23 vs one 25 year old who's never going to take that next leap imo And is one contract away from being one of the worst over paid bad contracts in the league.
queridiculo wrote:

That makes sense...

Dat2U
RealGM

Post#112 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:34 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

What is funny - we usually go into the off-season saying we need low post defense. Not this year.

I would hope Gafford becomes the starting C next year - Bryant/FA get to be the backups. I hope he really works on his conditioning so he can play ~28 minutes a game.

Kind of a luxury, no?

Big problem with this is his propensity to foul. He's probably never going to be more than a 24-28 min guy which is fine but certainly you want his replacement to be solid as well.

I continue to be bearish on Bryant due to the defensive limitations. It is true that might be migated some against backups.

I still dream of that elite two-way big who can space the floor but Gafford has been a gamechanger so far.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#113 » by NatP4 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:35 pm

dckingsfan wrote:And of course the other off-season topic - which youngster will make the jump?

Avdija (20), Bonga (21), Gafford (22), Hachiura (22), Bryant (23), Hutchison (24) and Mathews (24).

For me, I think it is going to be Avdija but not until the second half of the season.

My predictions:

Avdija makes the big jump.

Bonga gets a fresh start with new coach and becomes a quality 3&D rotation player

Hachimura stays the same

Bryant has a nice bounce back from injury and closes a handful of games, brings a ton of energy off the bench.

Gafford either suffers the big injury because he’s absolutely terrible at landing safely, or he has a huge breakout season as our starting C and becomes our best player.

Hutchison gets traded.

New coach realizes Mathews’ talent and he becomes a regular rotation player and key piece.

And Franz Wagner wins ROTY :D
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#114 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:39 pm

dckingsfan wrote:And of course the other off-season topic - which youngster will make the jump?

Gafford seems like he made the jump. Rui is probably the only one who gets the shots to do so next year. I don't know how Deni fits... especially with Russ. His usage rate is not going to cut it. He's definitely not a stand in the corner and wait to shoot 3s type of guy, it's just a colossal waste of his skill.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#115 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:47 pm

I've long thought Ben Simmons best position is point C which Doc Rivers used him at to run us out the building in game 5.

Put 4 shooters around him and run. Defensively he allows you to switch everything. That's the best bet to maximize his skill set.

Tyrese Maxey would have to be a part of any deal. I thought he flashed enough game to suggest he's going to be really good.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#116 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jun 6, 2021 10:48 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Nah. Our FO is fully prepared to let Brad walk for nothing in the off-season.

I don't think he goes the summer without at least another one year extension.

If he makes an All-NBA team, Ted is going to bring the bag immediately.

Dat2U wrote:

Gafford seems like he made the jump. Rui is probably the only one who gets the shots to do so next year. I don't know how Deni fits... especially with Russ. His usage rate is not going to cut it. He's definitely not a stand in the corner and wait to shoot 3s type of guy, it's just a colossal waste of his skill.

Joe Ingles off the bench role.... that's what Deni should be doing
DCZards
General Manager

Post#117 » by DCZards » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:16 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Joe Ingles off the bench role.... that's what Deni should be doing

One could only hope that Deni has the shooting range of Ingles. He’s far from a knockdown 3pt shooter now but maybe he’ll be someday.
DCZards
General Manager

Post#118 » by DCZards » Sun Jun 6, 2021 11:22 pm

Dat2U wrote:

I’m sure Rui gained a ton of confidence from his solid playoff performance. Ideally, that carries over into next season.

Let’s hope Rui’s 3ball shooting continues to improve...and that the Zards hire a coach who runs an offense that takes advantage of his midrange game.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#119 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jun 7, 2021 1:05 am

DCZards wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

I’m sure Rui gained a ton of confidence from his solid playoff performance. Ideally, that carries over into next season.

Let’s hope Rui’s 3ball shooting continues to improve...and that the Zards hire a coach who runs an offense that takes advantage of his midrange game.

We'll see Rui in two months playing for Team Japan hosting the Olympics.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#120 » by doclinkin » Mon Jun 7, 2021 12:06 pm

Dat2U wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Low post defense matters alot. He's the only reason we made the playoffs.

Kind of a luxury, no?

Big problem with this is his propensity to foul. He's probably never going to be more than a 24-28 min guy which is fine but certainly you want his replacement to be solid as well.

I think as he develops a reputation as a solid player on a winning team some of those fouls go away. The refs really called the Philly series differently, where Gafford would get tagged for things that Simmons or Embiid did every trip down the court. Let Gafford make a few highlight reels and he begins to get the benefit of the doubt.

Return to Washington Wizards