ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 Draft Thread - Part II

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Re: 2021 Draft Thread - Part II 

Post#281 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:49 am

gambitx777 wrote:If we trade beal for that 7 pic and stuff I wouldn't be mad taking moody and maybe grabbing Kispert at 14. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

I find it very tempting. At 7 we could have our choice of Moody, Wagner, Giddey, Seguin, Garuba.

14 and 15 can take 2 of Mitchell, Butler, Duarte, Kispert, Springer
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#282 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:55 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:If we trade beal for that 7 pic and stuff I wouldn't be mad taking moody and maybe grabbing Kispert at 14. Just saying.

I find it very tempting. At 7 we could have our choice of Moody, Wagner, Giddey, Seguin, Garuba.

14 and 15 can take 2 of Mitchell, Butler, Duarte, Kispert, Springer
Moody, Kispert and springer would be wonderful .

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#283 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:24 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,342

Post#284 » by doclinkin » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:31 pm

Jaden Springer.
Best vert leap for all guards in this draft
Best max leap for all guards in this draft.
Wider handspan than most PF's and C's in this draft.

The raw tools are there for him to grow into a serious player in this league. If we don't trade down, I'm happy with this pick. If we do trade down, I'd love to get him if we could, plus an asset. So I'd prefer trade backs for teams that have picks near to ours. I don't even require extra 1st round picks this year, I'd take future picks, protected or not, with/out 2nd rounders.

OKC 18 and 34 would be nice. But so would the OKC 18 and something from their future horde of pics. That said, Springer fits the profile of an OKC team, so if they had the 15 and 16 they'd be likely to take him with one of their picks. Likewise the Griz at 17, he fits what they take. Trading back even 3 spots means we are likely picking Duarte, Trey Murphy, Jared Butler. Or you know, whichever incomplete international player Tommy has his eye on. LOL.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,967

Post#285 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:02 pm

5 days to go - all sorts of maneuvering and disinformation going on...
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#286 » by queridiculo » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:05 pm

doclinkin wrote:Jaden Springer.

The raw tools are there for him to grow into a serious player in this league. If we don't trade down, I'm happy with this pick. If we do trade down, I'd love to get him if we could, plus an asset. So I'd prefer trade backs for teams that have picks near to ours. I don't even require extra 1st round picks this year, I'd take future picks, protected or not, with/out 2nd rounders.

OKC 18 and 34 would be nice. But so would the OKC 18 and something from their future horde of pics. That said, Springer fits the profile of an OKC team, so if they had the 15 and 16 they'd be likely to take him with one of their picks. Likewise the Griz at 17, he fits what they take. Trading back even 3 spots means we are likely picking Duarte, Trey Murphy, Jared Butler. Or you know, whichever incomplete international player Tommy has his eye on. LOL.

Just watching this kid defend is a delight.

He's so comfortable and natural sliding his feet in his stance and coupled with his quick hands he looks like a problem out there.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#287 » by Dat2U » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:13 pm

My 1st & 2nd choice for a while have been Sharife Cooper & Jaden Springer. I'd be very happy with either one.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#288 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:35 pm

queridiculo wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Jaden Springer.

Just watching this kid defend is a delight.

He's so comfortable and natural sliding his feet in his stance and coupled with his quick hands he looks like a problem out there.

Using NBA Draft room right now who I have as my biggest bargains or currently most undervalued prospects...

Jaden Springer (SG projected 24)
Deuce McBride (PG projected 31)
DayRon Sharpe (C projected 32)
Joe Wieskamp (SF projected 36)
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#289 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:15 pm

Springer shoots the 3 well -- but in low volume; only 2.8 per 40 minutes. He also shoots FTs well -- .810. & he does get to the line a lot.

He did take a lot of 2-point shots -- 11.2 per 40 minutes -- & those he shot at .475, which is not good. Does that figure in to assessing him as our #15 pick?

His rebounding and assists are adequate for a 2. But he turned the ball over 3.7 times per 40 minutes. That's high. Does that figure in to our assessment?

OTOH, he's only played 1 year of college, & he is still 18 until September. I don't find it easy to develop a solid view of Springer. Can't get sure as to what I think of him at 15.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#290 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:18 pm

OTOH, if I had two lower picks, I'd be less nervous about picking him with one of them -- not because i expect less from, say, a #24 pick, but because I'd be taking two guys. Which improves your overall chance of getting a good player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#291 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:22 pm

OTOH, I'd certainly prefer Springer to Trey Murphy, whom we're bringing back for a 2d session....

Edit: But, if you look at Murphy's UVA season based on productivity per 100 possessions (rather than 40 minutes), he looks way better. So, to tell the truth, I am very very up in the air right now.

Whatever else is true, if we come out of this draft with only 1 guy, it will be a real travesty.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,967

Post#292 » by dckingsfan » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:33 pm

Dat2U wrote:My 1st & 2nd choice for a while have been Sharife Cooper & Jaden Springer. I'd be very happy with either one.

If one "could" make the trade with Houston, and purchase a reasonably high 2nd round pick and late 2nd round pick. I would be really happy with Springer, Garuba, Cooper and Ibou Badji (draft and stash).

If folks don't like Garuba - insert your other favorite PF that falls to this level.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,300

Post#293 » by nate33 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:42 pm

I'd be totally happy with Springer, Bouknight, or Moody.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#294 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:55 pm

nate33 wrote:I'd be totally happy with Springer, Bouknight, or Moody.
If moody makes it to 15 I'll eat my hat.

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#295 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:18 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'd be totally happy with Springer, Bouknight, or Moody.
If moody makes it to 15 I'll eat my hat.

I see the legit candidates at 15, based on potential to still be on the board, and fit for our team (talent, skillset, personality, intangibles, etc) to be Duarte, Mitchell, Butler, Kispert, Murphy. And possibly Garuba, Springer.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#296 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:23 pm

Looking at this group, as I've said before, instead of one of these players, I'd prefer to trade back and come away with McBride, Sharpe & Wieskamp.

doclinkin
RealGM

Post#297 » by doclinkin » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:51 pm

payitforward wrote:Springer shoots the 3 well -- but in low volume; only 2.8 per 40 minutes. He also shoots FTs well -- .810. & he does get to the line a lot.

He did take a lot of 2-point shots -- 11.2 per 40 minutes -- & those he shot at .475, which is not good. Does that figure in to assessing him as our #15 pick?

His rebounding and assists are adequate for a 2. But he turned the ball over 3.7 times per 40 minutes. That's high. Does that figure in to our assessment?

OTOH, he's only played 1 year of college, & he is still 18 until September. I don't find it easy to develop a solid view of Springer. Can't get sure as to what I think of him at 15.

Right. It is tricky to project the youngest players. And it will be even harder for this class since high school seniors had their tournaments cancelled. Springer went to IMG academy for highschool, and was slated to play in the MCDonald's all-american game before you know, global pandemic. You are not looking at an accomplished veteran, you are projecting from the flashes they show.

What I have found in looking back at successful players to the earliest age I can find their stats: Young players turn the ball over. And foul. That part is to be expected. The willingness to pass matters, if they can rack assists at a decent rate, they will usually improve in that ast/TO ratio. Yes the ability to score on the interior is significant, most players develop this before they get an outside shot. A good dribble drive game can get you into trouble if that is all you have, some players never develop much beyond that ball-hogging one on one game. Still it is easier to develop an outside shot than a handle. A true handle shows up on a kid who grew up with a ball as his best friend.

Other notes: Defensive rebounding early suggests they will be rebounders for life. A high FT% is often evidence of a gym rat, a guy who practices for fun. Conversely, Defense, solid defense, is rare in young players, and generally shows a player who has either grown up with the game, or has had really good coaching early. Veterans develop this over time, a kid who plays defense well early commonly has an advanced understanding of the game, and a love of the team aspect. These are players who care about wins more than personal highlights. The kid who is willing to be in the poster for a chance to shut down the other player. Defense early tends to translate to winning later. Is usually evidence of a solid competitive foundation and good habits. Many highly talented athletes just fall into the game from being tall with run-jump gifts. No real knowledge or understanding of the game. The defenders are often the undersized ones who know they are only going to play against the bigger cats if they can hustle and scrap and pass and hit an outside shot when open. They want to be on the court, or to get minutes from a coach, and will do whatever it takes.

In this case it makes sense. Jaden is a kid from a basketball family. Jaden's dad was drafted by the Sixers. One older brother was at Iona. The other older brother played for Army, at West Point, a career soldier now. Two older brothers and a dad who played high level ball mean this kid has been through some tough games. It's often the younger brother who goes farther than his talented siblings. They had to fight to be allowed to play, before they hit their growth spurt. Playing is the prize. Then they grow into it and pass the others, but still have the desperation and desire.

Ultimately: young players are streaky. What you are looking for is a few sustained games of good play in a row. A few standout games that show what they can do. And the baseline athleticism to build on, plus evidence of hustle. Yeah he does not yet know how to use that advanced athletic potential. How to be aggressive on the interior to get things done. With Beal as a role model, and Russ as a motivator, do we think he can develop those guard skills to take the next step?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#298 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:04 am

Great post, doc -- given you and Dat and others being high on Springer, I'll be happy if we take him. Above all, however, I will really be upset w/ the Wizards organization if we wind up with only one rookie from this deep prospect pool.

edit: I should put that last sentence a little differently -- I will really feel that the Wizards organization has learned something, is genuinely changing, if we figure out how to come away from this draft with at least two guys.
Gig18
Junior
And1: 138

Post#299 » by Gig18 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:22 am

I honestly don't see the Moody love. Maybe I didn't watch enough. But he looked like he plays below the rim, doesn't have any explosion, and didn't drive and finish at the rim very well at all. Didn't see any passing that wowed me. Yes, he's long, but I fidn't sense he had very quick feet, which means he'd be reaching at the next level. I think he's going, so maybe he gets stronger.
As for a few others, wasn't wowed by wagner and i know shariffe is exciting, but if can't shoot from outside, how's he significantly different from Ish Smith?
I like tre mann, he and boughnight both look like they can shoot and score.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#300 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:36 am

payitforward wrote:Great post, doc -- given you and Dat and others being high on Springer, I'll be happy if we take him. Above all, however, I will really be upset w/ the Wizards organization if we wind up with only one rookie from this deep prospect pool.

edit: I should put that last sentence a little differently -- I will really feel that the Wizards organization has learned something, is genuinely changing, if we figure out how to come away from this draft with at least two guys.

I mean, I'm gonna find a way to be a homer and like whomever we take. This year odds are that there will be a good one. I won't be too pissed off at Tommy if he can't pull an extra pick. He didn't trade away our 2nd rounder, it is part of the crappile he inherited from the last regime. And you can't always convince teams to give you their pick. You need partners for a trade and this year everybody has the same read: this draft is deep, a guy you want will fall to whichever pick you have.

Do I want more? Yeah. I've said the various guys I am happy to get. If I got a couple of them I'd be grinning. I think Petrusev and Queta will be better than many bigs taken before them. I think Duarte would instantly have a role on this team, producing quicker than many of the upside guys and projects we could take. I'd want three picks if we had them. We have to patch holes in a roster that was taped together out of 1 yr free agents. We have a new coach who has a player development history, and who ought to be given a few guys to mold into his philosophy.

But by this time next week I fully expect to see the happy upside of whichever dude or multiple players we have landed.

Return to Washington Wizards