Re: Corey Kispert, Wizards Sniper. 

Post#141 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jan 4, 2022 2:49 am

Read on Twitter
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,222

Post#142 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:26 pm

Last 15 games: 12.4 points 3.4 rebounds 1.7 assists 0.6 steals 0.6 blocks 1.0 turnovers per 36 minutes on 45.7/38.6/89.5 shooting. 6.4 net rating in the month of January.

He was never a swing for the fences pick with all star potential, but he’s already a quality NBA player 37 games into his rookie season at age 22. Great value for the 15th overall pick.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#143 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:46 pm

I stick by what I said - he was a decent pick (who I predicted the Wiz would take), but I would have traded down for Weiskamp (picked 41st) and gotten more picks (maybe a future FRP).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#144 » by payitforward » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:36 pm

But, we didn't need to use the #15 pick to trade down! We had the #22 pick.

Even after the trade for Holiday, we had the #31 pick.

Given that the Knicks moved the #32 pick to OKC for the #34 & #36 picks, we could have preempted them & made the same move ourselves.

Then take Dosonmu #34 & Wieskamp #36. Solves a lot of problems!

(Or, more speculatively, move the #34 to Philly for the #50 & 53 plus a low R2 pick next year. Then take Wieskamp #36, Petresev & Bassey #50 & 53, & have a pick in the bank for next year.)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#145 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:02 pm

payitforward wrote:But, we didn't need to use the #15 pick to trade down! We had the #22 pick.

Even after the trade for Holiday, we had the #31 pick.

Given that the Knicks moved the #32 pick to OKC for the #34 & #36 picks, we could have preempted them & made the same move ourselves.

Then take Dosonmu #34 & Wieskamp #36. Solves a lot of problems!

(Or, more speculatively, move the #34 to Philly for the #50 & 53 plus a low R2 pick next year. Then take Wieskamp #36, Petresev & Bassey #50 & 53, & have a pick in the bank for next year.)

Prehaps we could, but in addition, we could have gotten a strategic future first - from a team we'd expect to be bad this season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#146 » by Kanyewest » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:11 pm

Not to mention Garrison Matthews leaving- theoretically the Wizards could have drafted both Kispert and re-signed Mathews although maybe it did play a factor in Shepherd's mind of not re-signing him.

Even with this relatively good stretch, Kispert is still only shooting 30.7% from 3- Still, I am more encouraged by Kispert than I was earlier in the season.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#147 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:21 am

Kanyewest wrote:Not to mention Garrison Matthews leaving- theoretically the Wizards could have drafted both Kispert and re-signed Mathews although maybe it did play a factor in Shepherd's mind of not re-signing him.

Even with this relatively good stretch, Kispert is still only shooting 30.7% from 3- Still, I am more encouraged by Kispert than I was earlier in the season.
Kispert does compare pretty favorably to Korver as a rookie. His misses from 3 seem somewhat a function of his prioritizing defensive schemes which is the right approach. And despite that he's found a way to be reasonably efficient; the only guys on the team with a better TS% than him with any reasonable minutes played are centers.
Bucket! Bucket!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#148 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:30 am

I hated the pick, but I was completely wrong.

Kispert has been very good, & he's getting better week by week. He needs to be a little better defensive rebounder, & at this point he isn't delivering the level of assists you usually get from a wing.

But, he's posting an above average TS% already, & that is impressive. Especially since he started kind of slow. Plenty of room to grow, sure, but he's gotten off to a good start.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#149 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:14 am

payitforward wrote:I hated the pick, but I was completely wrong.

Kispert has been very good, & he's getting better week by week. He needs to be a little better defensive rebounder, & at this point he isn't delivering the level of assists you usually get from a wing.

But, he's posting an above average TS% already, & that is impressive. Especially since he started kind of slow. Plenty of room to grow, sure, but he's gotten off to a good start.

Just wondering - what did he do in college that makes you think he'll do any better at getting assists and rebounds in the NBA? The most important NBA skill is shooting, and that's why the Wiz drafted him - not because he's going to be a cookie-cutter all-around player. He has his other pros and cons at various things, but his primary purpose is going to be spreading defenses and hitting 3's.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#150 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:44 pm

Kispert's TS% on the season is .566 and his 3P% is .320. However, he had a pretty horrific start, particularly with his 3-point shooting.

In his first 22 games, his TS% was .487 and his 3P% was .205. :eek1:
Over the past 17 games, his TS% is .617 and his 3P% is .409.
Over the last 8 games, his TS% is .691 and his 3P% is .438. :o

He seems to have really settled into a rhythm now. I also like that his 2P% is a very respectable .580. He can finish around the rim and in midrange. Bertans, for example, consistently posts a 2P% of just .480.

At this point, the main thing I want to see out of Kispert is a higher usage rate, particularly from 3-point range. He is averaging 5.6 3PA's per 36. He doesn't have the high release point and insane range of Bertans who can get up 10+ 3PAs per 36, but I'd like to see Kispert shoot at least as often from 3 as KCP, who gets up 6.7 3PA's per 36.
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#151 » by smoothSeph » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:51 pm

His shots are also going straight in now. He was having a problem with arc early in the season and always hitting back rim. Amazing how much of a change he made over the course of half a season.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,879

Post#152 » by Frichuela » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:20 pm

Yes, Kispert is playing solid right now. He looks like a copy of Joe Harris, with hopefully a bit more upside? Displays good basketball IQ, positioning on court and sneaky athleticism. Not bad for a 15th pick to be honest.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#153 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Just wondering - what did he do in college that makes you think he'll do any better at getting assists and rebounds in the NBA?...

Nothing -- & you're pointing to the factors that made me doubt him as a pick. After all, the NBA success of a player with a single critical skill depends entirely on his being able to migrate that skill to the league. If he shows that he might be able increase other skills as an NBA player, that immediately increases your sense, or at least your hope, that he might turn out well.

Ruzious wrote:...The most important NBA skill is shooting, and that's why the Wiz drafted him - not because he's going to be a cookie-cutter all-around player. He has his other pros and cons at various things, but his primary purpose is going to be spreading defenses and hitting 3's.

Makes perfect sense: Kispert's ability to stay in the league, earn minutes, & succeed will depend on his shooting. Without that, nothing.

But, if he jumps that hurdle, then the question of how good he can be at the other stuff becomes relevant to his overall success. You can view it as "a bonus," if you like, but it's important to remember that every basketball player has to do every single basketball activity pretty much every time he gets on the floor.

I mentioned Kispert's defensive rebounding, because he's already posting a slightly above average number of offensive boards.

But my main point was to say that I was wrong to be critical of the pick. As nate points out, Kispert is improving rapidly, has posted terrific results the last few weeks.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#154 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:42 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:Not to mention Garrison Matthews leaving- theoretically the Wizards could have drafted both Kispert and re-signed Mathews although maybe it did play a factor in Shepherd's mind of not re-signing him.

Kispert does compare pretty favorably to Korver as a rookie. His misses from 3 seem somewhat a function of his prioritizing defensive schemes which is the right approach. And despite that he's found a way to be reasonably efficient; the only guys on the team with a better TS% than him with any reasonable minutes played are centers.

True. Just 5 games ago, Kispert's TS% was at 52.9%. He has now raised it to 56.6% since.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#155 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:59 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:

That's a nice comp to Korver - even their names come off the tongue the same. If Kispert can have a similar career, that'd be terrific. Korver made an amazing 2,450 out of 5,715 3's for a percentage of .429 - a hair below the all-time greatest 3 point shooter Steph Curry's .430. And while Korver didn't have particularly quick feet, he had very quick hands which he used effectively on D.

One thing that makes Kispert so effective is that he's already getting in shooting position before he catches the ball. I think he'd do even better if we had a point guard who was particularly adept at driving and dishing out to the corner 3 shooter - like John Wall was.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#156 » by doclinkin » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:51 pm

The benefit and drawback of drafting an upperclassman is that they can play and adjust more quickly, they have a mature and developed game, however, they likely have less room to grow. It is tough to say if Kispert was the right pick at 15, depends on the eventual career upside of whomever was drafted after him. Still, he has earned his minutes on the floor this year, crowding out veteran players. A quick start is a good thing. Steady improvement over the season is an even more hopeful sign.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,222

Post#157 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:04 am

Kispert also ranks 2nd on the team in on/off differential behind Harrell.

Usually rookies are total boat anchors, Kispert has been great.

Biggest misconceptions about him coming out of school were that he was a spot up shooter and an underwhelming athlete, both completely false. Talking about a guy that posted 21 points per 36 on 53/44/88 shooting in his final year in college. He’s going to score at this level and he’s a great finisher and a guy that can compete for rebounds and block a shot on occasion. Underrated athlete.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#158 » by Dark Faze » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:08 pm

Saw him live against the Blazers and his defense impressed me for a rook. He's also in incredible shape. Not sure what his ceiling is but he'll play in the league a long time.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#159 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:36 am

Dark Faze wrote:Saw him live against the Blazers and his defense impressed me for a rook. He's also in incredible shape. Not sure what his ceiling is but he'll play in the league a long time.

Your experience reminds me of seeing a freshman (first year:)) Joe Harris playing live at UVA.

It was in Bennett’s first or second year and he didn’t have much talent so he was forced to play Joe at the 4 for long stretches. You could see it. Skinny little white boy did everything really well although he was just an average shooter.

He came to Virginia heralded primarily as a shooter and it took him a few years in the NBA to turn that pretty stroke into a high FG %.

Meanwhile, he still does everything else efficiently and with purpose — like Kispert.

Moral of the story. Hold on to Kispy. He’s going to be a good one.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#160 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:29 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:Saw him live against the Blazers and his defense impressed me for a rook. He's also in incredible shape. Not sure what his ceiling is but he'll play in the league a long time.

Your experience reminds me of seeing a freshman (first year:)) Joe Harris playing live at UVA.

It was in Bennett’s first or second year and he didn’t have much talent so he was forced to play Joe at the 4 for long stretches. You could see it. Skinny little white boy did everything really well although he was just an average shooter.

He came to Virginia heralded primarily as a shooter and it took him a few years in the NBA to turn that pretty stroke into a high FG %.

Meanwhile, he still does everything else efficiently and with purpose — like Kispert.

Moral of the story. Hold on to Kispy. He’s going to be a good one.

Still, Joe is in the NBA because he has a particular set of skill. Dude can flat out shoot 3's.

Return to Washington Wizards