Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: Corey Kispert, Wizards Sniper. 

Post#61 » by prime1time » Wed Aug 4, 2021 3:48 am

Ruzious wrote:
prime1time wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
Interesting observations.

Kispert made some solid plays but also they seemed to put Kispert on the worst perimeter player out there. Butler really took advantage of Kispert when he was switched onto him. It also seemed like Kispert's best stretch during that run at the end of the first half happened when Gonzaga played zone. Basically it looks like Kispert could be an ok team defender but would be worried about him guarding point guards on switches.

Which plays do you think Butler really took advantage of Kispert? If Butler makes a stepback 3, that's not really on Kispert imo. In 2021, if a guard is going to consistently knock down stepback 3's the only answer is really to double team. The play is unguardable.
I really don't remember any clear plays where someone blew by Kispert with a simple move and got a straight-line drive. The only switches I'd be worried about with Kispert are the switches that I'd be worried about regardless. Lillard, Kyrie, Harden, KD, Curry, Young, Mitchell etc.

What I was more concerned about were the come-from-behind blocks of his layups by the athletic Baylor defenders. When we get into playoff Basketball, teams with long athletic wing defenders will be able to put the clamps on him. A lot of people on this board knocked the Raptors for drafting Barnes but in a league where shooting is becoming more and more commonplace, long switchable defenders are going to be needed sadly the Wizards are lacking these players.

*Baylor's game plan was also a good one. Get Drew Timme in the switch and attack him relentlessly. I look forward to watching Kispert guard in isolation in Summer league.

Probably the best comp for him that's been mentioned is Bojan Bogdanovich - Kispert's probably an inch taller. Bojan looked real good shooting in the playoffs I saw this year. There's no reason why Kispert can't do the same. Just because team's generally do not shoot 3's as well in the playoffs doesn't mean they aren't just as important. I think it's even more important then to have snipers like him.

I agree, you certainly have to have them. What I was trying to say - all be it badly - was that his own efficiency might drop. But the benefit to the offense is why it drops. Defenses get a lot tighter on their defensive keys. Who do they have to stick close to and who can they help off of. If you have a non-shooter in Kispert's place, then immediately they are helping off. So I'd argue that in the playoffs against good defensive teams that are 100% committed to playing defense, the benefit of 3-point shooting is that you give your star player room to create. Ideally, we'd put teams in the same situation that the 76ers put us in this playoffs. Do you help off a 3-point shooter to slow down Embiid, or do you play Embiid straight up and let him torch you.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#62 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:36 am

prime1time wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
prime1time wrote:Which plays do you think Butler really took advantage of Kispert? If Butler makes a stepback 3, that's not really on Kispert imo. In 2021, if a guard is going to consistently knock down stepback 3's the only answer is really to double team. The play is unguardable.
I really don't remember any clear plays where someone blew by Kispert with a simple move and got a straight-line drive. The only switches I'd be worried about with Kispert are the switches that I'd be worried about regardless. Lillard, Kyrie, Harden, KD, Curry, Young, Mitchell etc.

What I was more concerned about were the come-from-behind blocks of his layups by the athletic Baylor defenders. When we get into playoff Basketball, teams with long athletic wing defenders will be able to put the clamps on him. A lot of people on this board knocked the Raptors for drafting Barnes but in a league where shooting is becoming more and more commonplace, long switchable defenders are going to be needed sadly the Wizards are lacking these players.

*Baylor's game plan was also a good one. Get Drew Timme in the switch and attack him relentlessly. I look forward to watching Kispert guard in isolation in Summer league.

Probably the best comp for him that's been mentioned is Bojan Bogdanovich - Kispert's probably an inch taller. Bojan looked real good shooting in the playoffs I saw this year. There's no reason why Kispert can't do the same. Just because team's generally do not shoot 3's as well in the playoffs doesn't mean they aren't just as important. I think it's even more important then to have snipers like him.

I agree, you certainly have to have them. What I was trying to say - all be it badly - was that his own efficiency might drop. But the benefit to the offense is why it drops. Defenses get a lot tighter on their defensive keys. Who do they have to stick close to and who can they help off of. If you have a non-shooter in Kispert's place, then immediately they are helping off. So I'd argue that in the playoffs against good defensive teams that are 100% committed to playing defense, the benefit of 3-point shooting is that you give your star player room to create. Ideally, we'd put teams in the same situation that the 76ers put us in this playoffs. Do you help off a 3-point shooter to slow down Embiid, or do you play Embiid straight up and let him torch you.

Oh I agree - not really disagreeing with any point you made. One surprising thing about Bojan - he actually defends Lebron really well - so maybe there's hope for Kispert on defense if he really works at it. Speaking of Philly, imagine if they had better shooters to surround Embiid. They had a great draft - though Springer likely won't help them as a rookie, but with the 50th pick, I think Petrusev could end up playing a big role as a stretch 4 for them. I love players like Maxey, Thybulle and Simmons, but their lack of 3 point shooting (all 3 shot 30%) doesn't complement Embiid - though they're all valuable. Kispert, Holiday and filler for Simmons solves their problem, lol.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#63 » by prime1time » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:54 am

Ruzious wrote:
prime1time wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Probably the best comp for him that's been mentioned is Bojan Bogdanovich - Kispert's probably an inch taller. Bojan looked real good shooting in the playoffs I saw this year. There's no reason why Kispert can't do the same. Just because team's generally do not shoot 3's as well in the playoffs doesn't mean they aren't just as important. I think it's even more important then to have snipers like him.

Oh I agree - not really disagreeing with any point you made. One surprising thing about Bojan - he actually defends Lebron really well - so maybe there's hope for Kispert on defense if he really works at it. Speaking of Philly, imagine if they had better shooters to surround Embiid. They had a great draft - though Springer likely won't help them as a rookie, but with the 50th pick, I think Petrusev could end up playing a big role as a stretch 4 for them. I love players like Maxey, Thybulle and Simmons, but their lack of 3 point shooting (all 3 shot 30%) doesn't complement Embiid - though they're all valuable. Kispert, Holiday and filler for Simmons solves their problem, lol.

Where do you get defensive stats/what do you use? I still haven't found anything that I can rely on.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#64 » by Kanyewest » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:59 am

prime1time wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
prime1time wrote:;ab_channel=MarchMadness
Good game to watch. I watched part of it when it happened live, but I wasn't really watching focusing on Kispert. Imo, his defense is way better than advertised. I expected a Davis Bertans level of defense with consistent blow-byes. Instead, what I saw was a guy who really only got beat on step-back 3's. He got taken off the dribble once at 19:27 but that was after Baylor had already knocked down several 3's and the Zags were trying to run them off the free throw line.

In addition, to connect it to something I wrote in the Rui thread, Kispert has a good natural feel for the game. 46:05 Baylor traps him as he comes off the PnR, he doesn't panic, but rather he simply accepts the trap and finds the roll man.
He can anticipate what's happening and where the ball will go. 1:11:40 is a good example of this. 1:01:55 again, just a good feel for the game. My favorite play from Kispert was at 53:29. The only thing I'd change is that I wouldn't save the ball.

I can see Kispert struggling offensively in playoff games where teams really turn up the intensity and challenge everything. But even then you're talking about a great 3-point shooter and an average defender with good defensive instincts.

Interesting observations.

Kispert made some solid plays but also they seemed to put Kispert on the worst perimeter player out there. Butler really took advantage of Kispert when he was switched onto him. It also seemed like Kispert's best stretch during that run at the end of the first half happened when Gonzaga played zone. Basically it looks like Kispert could be an ok team defender but would be worried about him guarding point guards on switches.

Which plays do you think Butler really took advantage of Kispert? If Butler makes a stepback 3, that's not really on Kispert imo. In 2021, if a guard is going to consistently knock down stepback 3's the only answer is really to double team. The play is unguardable.

1st half- 18:14- Pick and roll defense- Not sure if this is on Kispert unless he was supposed go over the screen
14:28- A poor close out. He may have had to protect the paint although not sure he would have been able to do that either, was kind of in no man's land
13:37- A bit of a poor contest off of a 3 on the offensive rebound- maybe he was worried about him attacking the paint.
12:57- Poor pick and roll defense- not all on Kispert though
6:35- Kispert gets a tip on the lob down low but ultimately leads to a Baylor basket. Tough play for Kispert to make.

2nd half\
19:32 - Step back 3 by Butler. Mitchell shows good judgment by passing to Kispert on a switch. Ultimately Gonzaga plays zone because of this adjustment and Butler proceeds to make a DEEP 3 .
18:13- Kispert doesn't stop the ball in transition
8:14- Teague Hits a layup

The good
1st half- Had a nice steal

2nd half
11:50- Good block

Offensively, I think Kispert was fine, he ultimately had his shot blocked a few times but I think Suggs getting shutdown is what cost them the game, not Kispert.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#65 » by payitforward » Wed Aug 4, 2021 9:09 pm

prime1time wrote:Also, Kispert won't be nearly the defensive sieve people expect. Look at his combine numbers: 10.91 in the lane agility faster than Herbert Jones, he had the 3rd fastest shuttle run at 2.99 (same as Scottie Barnes), his 3 quarter sprint was 3.12 the same as Zaire Williams, he has a standing vertical of 30 and a max vertical of 37.5. Not nearly as bad of an athlete as people made him out to be.

Extremely important -- & it means that hard work will make him at least a good enough defender. So, it comes down to how hard he wants to work -- which seems to me maybe the most critical component in transition from college, where every R1 pick was pretty much just plain better than the players around him, and the NBA where they're all good.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#66 » by penbeast0 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:41 am

I'm curious whether he can defend the 2 in the NBA.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#67 » by Benjammin » Fri Aug 6, 2021 1:58 pm

penbeast0 wrote:I'm curious whether he can defend the 2 in the NBA.

Despite his athletic testing at the Combine, I don't see it. But there are some 2s he could probably cover.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#68 » by queridiculo » Fri Aug 6, 2021 2:33 pm

Benjammin wrote:

Despite his athletic testing at the Combine, I don't see it. But there are some 2s he could probably cover.

Everything is possible but he seriously needs to work on his footwork

When you see him defend on an island against quicker guards he consistently looks off balance, a step late and just generally does a poor job sliding his feet.

Part of that seems to be a combination of poor timing and just a having a penchant to play on his heels.

To be able to defend you have to get low and get your knees over your toes and it just seems that perhaps a general lack of flexibility is what's holding him back there.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#69 » by FAH1223 » Fri Aug 6, 2021 4:22 pm

payitforward
RealGM

Post#70 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 7, 2021 1:01 am

queridiculo wrote:
Benjammin wrote:

Everything is possible but he seriously needs to work on his footwork

When you see him defend on an island against quicker guards he consistently looks off balance, a step late and just generally does a poor job sliding his feet.

Part of that seems to be a combination of poor timing and just a having a penchant to play on his heels.

To be able to defend you have to get low and get your knees over your toes and it just seems that perhaps a general lack of flexibility is what's holding him back there.

But wait... how's his hip-bend?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#71 » by FAH1223 » Sat Aug 7, 2021 8:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Ruzious » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:19 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

You can see - maturity wise - he's there - much moreso than Deni was last season. Of course, that's probably because he's older. We likely won't be seeing the dear in the headlights look that other young players have.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#73 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:32 pm

Yep. You can see he has captain like qualities. Maybe we should change the title of this thread to Corey Kispert Wizards Skipper
In Rizzo we trust
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#74 » by Kanyewest » Sun Aug 8, 2021 5:49 pm

Ruzious wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

You can see - maturity wise - he's there - much moreso than Deni was last season. Of course, that's probably because he's older. We likely won't be seeing the dear in the headlights look that other young players have.

Maybe- although Deni didn't have summer league last season so it's hard to tell.

Found this video of Troy Brown from the last summer league the Wizards participated in.

https://bg-bg.facebook.com/Wizards/videos/388337701807956/
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:05 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Maybe- although Deni didn't have summer league last season so it's hard to tell.

Found this video of Troy Brown from the last summer league the Wizards participated in.

https://bg-bg.facebook.com/Wizards/videos/388337701807956/

Hopefully the Wiz can get in some SL this year. Anyway, I wasn't comparing SL play - just giving my early impressions.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#76 » by nate33 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:26 pm

Ruzious wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Seems like a very likeable guy.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#77 » by AFM » Sun Aug 8, 2021 6:31 pm

He's dethroned Kelly Oubre as the sexiest Wizards player ever IMO.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#78 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Aug 8, 2021 9:46 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Yep. You can see he has captain like qualities. Maybe we should change the title of this thread to Corey Kispert Wizards Skipper

On the other hand, if he gets burned on the perimeter like I fear he will, he might be Wizards Sniper Corey Krispert.
In Rizzo we trust
payitforward
RealGM

Post#79 » by payitforward » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:26 pm

Biggest thing I got out of that video -- he's pretty funny!
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#80 » by gambitx777 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 10:27 pm

AFM wrote:He's dethroned Kelly Oubre as the sexiest Wizards player ever IMO.
He is a foooooood looking man!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Washington Wizards