Corey Kispert, Wizards Sniper.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Re: Corey Kispert, Wizards Sniper. 

Post#121 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:24 pm

queridiculo wrote:
payitforward wrote:In every aspect of the game except scoring, Kispert's numbers are quite respectable -- overall better than average for an NBA wing.

If/when he starts making 3's we can be a little surer of him.

His shot isn't falling, but when I watch him play I am always pleasantly surprised by his effectiveness on defense and how well he cuts on offense.

That said, I am a bit disappointed by his overall effectiveness on offense....

Disappointed compared to what set of criteria? If we assume he'll bring his 3 pt. % up to average, he'll be a plus player on offense. Of course we can't assume that! But, otherwise I'm not seeing a problem....

queridiculo wrote:...Once again the NBA ready label is proving to be a tired trope for an upperclassman.

I definitely would have went with the potential of a Jalen Johnson at that spot over an undersized Senior with a questionable pro fit.

Me too. & it may turn out that we're right. But so far... not so much. Johnson has earned a total of 19 minutes. Can't get on the floor.

Actually, this year like pretty much every year, if you had any pick after #3, it looks like you'd have done better by trading down. In principle, that is -- obviously you'd have to find a trading partner.

That said, if we look at the 10 guys taken after Kispert, only Josh Christopher has been better so far. I don't remember anyone calling for us to pick Josh Christopher. I sure didn't.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#122 » by FAH1223 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:00 pm

payitforward wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
payitforward wrote:In every aspect of the game except scoring, Kispert's numbers are quite respectable -- overall better than average for an NBA wing.

If/when he starts making 3's we can be a little surer of him.

His shot isn't falling, but when I watch him play I am always pleasantly surprised by his effectiveness on defense and how well he cuts on offense.

That said, I am a bit disappointed by his overall effectiveness on offense....

Disappointed compared to what set of criteria? If we assume he'll bring his 3 pt. % up to average, he'll be a plus player on offense. Of course we can't assume that! But, otherwise I'm not seeing a problem....

queridiculo wrote:...Once again the NBA ready label is proving to be a tired trope for an upperclassman.

I definitely would have went with the potential of a Jalen Johnson at that spot over an undersized Senior with a questionable pro fit.

Me too. & it may turn out that we're right. But so far... not so much. Johnson has earned a total of 19 minutes. Can't get on the floor.

Actually, this year like pretty much every year, if you had any pick after #3, it looks like you'd have done better by trading down. In principle, that is -- obviously you'd have to find a trading partner.

That said, if we look at the 10 guys taken after Kispert, only Josh Christopher has been better so far. I don't remember anyone calling for us to pick Josh Christopher. I sure didn't.

The Duarte-ready analysis was spot on though!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#123 » by payitforward » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:30 am

Duarte is 3d among rookies in minutes. He's scoring more than Kispert, but overall his numbers aren't better.

Most important difference is that he's playing against starters. I like Duarte, not trying to criticize him at all. But, he's not one of the big draft surprises.

He's also almost a full 2 years older than Cory Kispert. Duarte will turn 25 in June. He's only 4 years younger than Bradley Beal -- who was picked 9 drafts earlier than Duarte!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#124 » by NatP4 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:54 pm

Kispert upped his TS all the way to 56% after last night.

+12.7 on/off differential. Best on the team. I’m not sure if Tommy hit a home run or not, but he definitely did not miss with this pick.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,970

Post#125 » by dckingsfan » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:36 pm

NatP4 wrote:Kispert upped his TS all the way to 56% after last night.

+12.7 on/off differential. Best on the team. I’m not sure if Tommy hit a home run or not, but he definitely did not miss with this pick.

Looking like back to back solid picks...
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#126 » by badinage » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:45 pm

Looking like three consecutive good drafts.

(And by good, I’m not getting into whether the team used its assets wisely or maximally blah blah — I mean, simply: did the team come away with a good or promising player in the first round?)
NatP4
RealGM

Post#127 » by NatP4 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:39 pm

2019 is still a miss for me.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#128 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:45 pm

RAPTOR ranks him as the 7th best rookie. He ranks 8th if you go by WAR, which factors minutes played.

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,970

Post#129 » by dckingsfan » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:24 pm

Just looking at the list above Kispert - we couldn't have sniffed Barnes, Mobley or Wager where we were sitting. I liked Sengun but we weren't going to take a C.

Of course this is early days... it will be interesting looking at the list in two years or so...
NatP4
RealGM

Post#130 » by NatP4 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:24 pm

nate33 wrote:RAPTOR ranks him as the 7th best rookie. He ranks 8th if you go by WAR, which factors minutes played.

How long do we have to pretend that Jalen Green isn’t an Anthony Edwards clone (total bust)

Also: shoutout to Ruz, he loved Herbert Jones from Alabama.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#131 » by DCZards » Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:48 pm

Anthony Edwards is not a bust and it's far too early to say what Green will or will not be....he's 19 years old and has played in all of 19 NBA games.

Ruz was not the only one touting Herb Jones.

DCZards wrote:I'd like to see the Zards buy one or two second round picks and target Alabama's Herb Jones, who may be the best perimeter defender in the draft and someone who has continued to improve his long ball shooting. Jones reminds me of Robert Covington.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#132 » by pcbothwel » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:27 pm

DCZards wrote:Anthony Edwards is not a bust and it's far too early to say what Green will or will not be....he's 19 years old and has played in all of 19 NBA games.

DCZards wrote:I'd like to see the Zards buy one or two second round picks and target Alabama's Herb Jones, who may be the best perimeter defender in the draft and someone who has continued to improve his long ball shooting. Jones reminds me of Robert Covington.

Agreed.
Suggs, Giddey, Green, and Cade are not bust (Though some will). They are simply asked to be the QB of the offense early on and its very common. Look at Cole Anthony last year vs this. Same with Edwards. Morant and Garland as well.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#133 » by verbal8 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:32 pm

DCZards wrote:Anthony Edwards is not a bust and it's far too early to say what Green will or will not be....he's 19 years old and has played in all of 19 NBA games.

Was it a reference to Anthony Bennett? He is clearly a total bust.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#134 » by NatP4 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:50 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

Agreed.
Suggs, Giddey, Green, and Cade are not bust (Though some will). They are simply asked to be the QB of the offense early on and its very common. Look at Cole Anthony last year vs this. Same with Edwards. Morant and Garland as well.

Suggs, Giddey, and Cunningham will be fine. Green will never be a good NBA player. Im actually shocked at how bad Green has been so far. -20.4 on/off differential in 580 minutes. Total boat anchor for Houston, just like he was for the Ignite. He’s been the worst player in the entire NBA by a mile. No 2nd overall pick should ever perform that poorly.

Now, it will take 3-4 years minimum for anyone to admit that he’s simply not good at basketball.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#135 » by payitforward » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:26 pm

Yes, actually I was remembering that Zards really liked Jones -- more vocal, I think, than Ruz.

& Edwards is playing a lot better this year than last. By no means does he look like a bust.

Zards has made this point about other players as well -- Darius Garland, De'Andre Hunter & Cam Reddish come to mind. The jury's not in on any of these guys, but he's for sure correct anyway: you can't write off a really young player.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#136 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:35 pm

payitforward wrote:

Yes, actually I was remembering that Zards really liked Jones -- more vocal, I think, than Ruz.

& Edwards is playing a lot better this year than last. By no means does he look like a bust.

Zards has made this point about other players as well -- Darius Garland, De'Andre Hunter & Cam Reddish come to mind. The jury's not in on any of these guys, but he's for sure correct anyway: you can't write off a really young player.

Agreed. There's no doubt that Jalen Green has been lousy this year, but it's generally not wise to write off a guy that young and that athletic, at least not until the end of their 2nd season.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#137 » by NatP4 » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:54 am

I don’t think I’ve seen a single person call either Garland or Hunter a bust. Reddish is still at 38% shooting for his career, not super convinced.

Throughout the entire leadup to the 2021 draft I said Green would be a bust, I’ll stick with it.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#138 » by pcbothwel » Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:58 pm

NatP4 wrote:I don’t think I’ve seen a single person call either Garland or Hunter a bust. Reddish is still at 38% shooting for his career, not super convinced.

Throughout the entire leadup to the 2021 draft I said Green would be a bust, I’ll stick with it.

Really? I wont dig back through the forum, but I'll just post this comparison.
https://stathead.com/tiny/6kU5H

Garland was almost a year older and the 5th overall pick.
Again, not arguing who will or will not be a bust, but lead guards/initiators routinely have trouble finding their footing. Is Suggs doing any better?
https://stathead.com/tiny/JkZZ4

Remember, Suggs plays for a much better team/organization with a much better coach.
If Green would of been allowed to play off of Wall he would of looked a bit better. Houston is a trash fire that has done him no favors.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#139 » by Dat2U » Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:06 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:RAPTOR ranks him as the 7th best rookie. He ranks 8th if you go by WAR, which factors minutes played.

How long do we have to pretend that Jalen Green isn’t an Anthony Edwards clone (total bust)

Also: shoutout to Ruz, he loved Herbert Jones from Alabama.

Calling the 2nd pick a bust after less than 600 minutes makes zero sense.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#140 » by Ruzious » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:37 pm

DCZ deserves a lot more credit than that guy who's name rhymes with Kuz. No, not Ruzma. Kispert was an understandable pick - great to see him improving.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards