ImageImageImageImageImage

"Not IT?": Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Re: The real IT: Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward. 

Post#121 » by The Consiglieri » Fri Apr 7, 2023 9:12 pm

Dark Faze wrote:The worst part of this trade is that there actually *was* legitimate good 2nd round value to grab in a trade down between guys like Dosunmu and Herb Jones. The Knicks sent #32 for #34 for #36. Could have gotten both with those picks. Clearly we could have gotten more for effing #22.

We didn't care about value at all when we made this deal.

Reinforces the argument that when you're in that sorta zone, you should be moving down for more bullets (especially future year bullets) rather than fixating on 1 particular player you think your smart front office nailed as a value play. The counter to this is that there are only so many roster spots, you only have so many rookies etc, but when it comes to genuinely bad teams, and now that we have a G league, there isn't really any justifying putting all eggs in one basket (I guess an exception might be the falling Brandon Clarke scenario so there is that) and pretending your scouts are so awesome, that they can beat the odds based on their genius scouting. The evidence for us aint great (and I don't really care what guys we coulda got, there isn't a lot of evidence we would have selected the guys most of you would've wanted us too):

Since I've been watching:
Ledell Eackles
Ed Davender
Ed Horton
Doug Roth
Greg Foster
AJ English
Gheorghe Muresan
Conrad McRae
Jim McIlvaine
Terrence Rencher
Ronnie Henderson
God Shammgod
Predrag Drobnjak
Jahidi White
Calvin Booth

Mike Smith
Rod Grizzard
JCN
Steve Blake
Peter John Ramos
Andray Blatche
Vladimir Veremeenko
Dominic McGuire
Henry Walker
Jermaine Taylor
Nemanja Bjelica
Shelvin Mack
Tomas Satoranksy
Nate Wolters
Arsalan Kazemi
Jordan Clarkson
Aaron White
Issuf Sanon
Vit Krejci
Nzosa

I can't remember w/certainty how many weren't totally irrelevant, I may have missed on some, but basically it's literally 25 years worth of nothing beyond bench role players. Nobody turned into a star, there were some hits in terms of usable assets, I think 8 or 9 in 25 years, so it's not a complete waste of time, but if looks through round 2 should tell you anything, it's that you need multiple bullets for it to be worth anything at all (including late round 1st selections). Most drafts are basically a wasteland in that zone w/handfuls of relevant bench fodder, role players, and often a hidden gem of a starter once every other or third year (I mean a guy that make an all star team).

So from my perspective, the big sin in moves like w/Todd is in the presumptuousness of the selection, the assumption that you know where the value and the talent is, when quite clearly you do not. Be humble, trade down, and trade out, and take a couple of swings in 1 year or across multiple years, its the only approach that ever has a hope in hell of working, we've got decades of information and thousands of selections telling us as much.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Re: "Not IT?": Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward. 

Post#122 » by doclinkin » Fri Apr 7, 2023 9:23 pm

The IT move was actually the sort of move I'd normally applaud. They needed flexibility to sign Spencer, needed a PG in case they couldn't, needed leverage in making the deal so landing a PG would suggest they were not desperate and could keep down the trade price. So they traded down out of the guaranteed money of the 1st round, traded for a prospect that their analytical department liked, picked a talent with high upside.

The stupid in the deal was that Holliday was meh, IT was unplayable -- alright bad call but not every pick is a winner. Still what was worse was pointlessly inking a multi year deal without opt-outs so that Zay clogged the roster and made other moves more difficult. I suppose if he hit big it would have looked great to have a solid player locked into a cheap contract. But he was given more money than some 1st rounders anyway.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,971

Post#123 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:55 pm

45 minutes for Todd yesterday.

2-13 from the field and 1-7 from deep. But he had 12 rebounds and 4 assists with only 1 turnover.
Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Post#124 » by Jay81 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:49 am

FAH1223 wrote:45 minutes for Todd yesterday.

2-13 from the field and 1-7 from deep. But he had 12 rebounds and 4 assists with only 1 turnover.
I'll chalk it up to rust lol

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Return to Washington Wizards