ImageImageImageImageImage

The real IT: Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 7,226

Re: The real Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward. 

Post#21 » by queridiculo » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:24 pm

tontoz wrote:Good news is size, athleticism and shooting.

Bad news is that he has a bit of Jordan Crawford in him.

High ceiling so I can understand their reasoning for picking him. However I don't know enough about the other players available to know whether he is a good pick. TBD I guess

He is a tantalizing prospect and I'll be rooting for him to do Charm City proud.

Bawlmer represent, get to work kid.

Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 937

Post#22 » by Shoe » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:56 pm

doclinkin wrote:I actually think Todd may take Rui's minutes at PF before too long. More aggressive and decisive in attacking the basket, smoother and more proficient with his outside shot. Rui is training with big Guards tutors instead of learning to play with big Bigs. Not sure this was the smartest tactical move for him.

Any evidence of that? He shot 46.7% at the rim and I haven't seen him attack off the dribble in these highlights. He looks to be a movement shooter with good relocation instincts sort of like Kispert.
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 57

Post#23 » by likwitdesi » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:01 pm

Denver has been one of the best teams in terms of player development. Look at where all their stars were picked. Let's hope Wes can bring some of that over
smoothSeph
Senior
And1: 307

Post#24 » by smoothSeph » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:37 pm

;t=20s&ab_channel=NBAonESPN

Nice interview/breakdown from back in February. Seems like a smart kid, willing to learn. Extremely self aware which could be good for his development.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 3,902

Post#25 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
SUPERBALLMAN
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#26 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:24 am

80sballboy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Hey hopefully he'll pattern his game after Sheed! Would be a good style to emulate. He's got the shooting stroke and shot blocking ability.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 5,623

Post#27 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:00 am

Ed Wood wrote:It is certainly a reminder how not keyed into this process I am that Todd was picked 31st and is a consensus mild reach there because of the work left to do when Kuminga, his teammate, appears at least as the stats tell it to have been a pretty similar but markedly worse player. Kuminga was a year younger, which is a major major point in his favor for the purposes of the comparison. Anyway, he was a functional player in the G League at 18 and is apparently also very projectable.

I'd have preferred one of McBride or Cooper nevertheless.

We could have had both of them -- & a good deal more!

We picked Todd #31 -- the Knicks traded #32 to the Thunder for #34 & #36: McBride & Cooper.

But wait... having made that trade, we probably could have traded #34 down to the Pels for 40 & 43: now, it's McBride, Jared Butler (or Joe Wieskamp) & Cooper.

But wait... maybe we'd rather trade 43 to the Sixers for 50 & 53. We miss on Cooper, but we do have Miles McBride, Jared Butler or Joe Wieskamp, & both Filip Petrusev & Charles Bassey. But, sadly, no Isaiah Todd.

Unless, that is, Todd was available at one of those spots further down. Which, after all, does seem likely, wouldn't you say?
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 335

Post#28 » by daSwami » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:04 am

That fade-away jumper off one foot, if legit, is a weapon. Otherwise, he reminds me of Gafford with a jump shot. I wonder how he defends?
:banghead:
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 3,211

Post#29 » by doclinkin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:22 am

smoothSeph wrote:;t=20s&ab_channel=NBAonESPN

Nice interview/breakdown from back in February. Seems like a smart kid, willing to learn. Extremely self aware which could be good for his development.

Yeah I loved that video. Humble, analyzing the game, learning what he can do and what he should do. The coaching staff is going to love a player like this. Again I want the team to have a true big man coach to teach some low post footwork and fundamentals. he needs a move or two so he doesn't have to rely on the jab-step to a fadey one leg J when he is in traffic like that. But he has the balance and spin move to begin to string a few countermoves together and really be a danger down there. Plus he looks like his body will build serious strength when he gets a chance to work on it as a full time year round job.

But yeah: The fact that he saw it as a revelation that you need to clear your man on the box out, find him and move him off his spot, shows me that he has been getting by mostly on raw athletic potential more than fundamentals. And he understands that. He seems like the sort who is going to soak up any lesson you can give him, he's eager to understand. That may be why he is still thinking the game a step slow out there, cerebral more than instinctive, but once he gets it I think he is the sort who will suddenly put it all together and understand he belongs.

Seems like the exact sort of raw material that a coach like Wes can really work with. One thing I do like, we only added one raw player this draft so the staff can really devote individual attention to him. Deni is learning fast, Rui is starting to figure it out, but Kispert and Huff are seniors, they know what they are supposed to be doing out there. iTodd looks like the sort who will learn in surges and plateaus. He will show flashes, then need to watch film to see why he was successful so that he can string those flashes together, and become consistently good.

But as for the raw materials: so damn long, agile, good brain, humble, hard working. At some point he seems like he's going to be a fan favorite. Shoot, maybe we can hire Rasheed as a Bigs coach, since he worked him out. OK, It sounds like Sheed is happy as a highschool coach, since he wants to give back to the community, but still, I always thought he would be a good coach. Even if he would probably get ejected a few times a season for arguing a call :)
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 2,095

Post#30 » by dobrojim » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:33 am

Based on his build and length is the dream scenario for him to be
like John Collins? (Ducking and running for cover).
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity
SUPERBALLMAN
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#31 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:41 am

Maybe he's a candidate to be flipped in a package to a team looking for young players with upside for more of a win now type player in return.... Kemba, Grant, etc....
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
gambitx777
Head Coach
And1: 897

Post#32 » by gambitx777 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:37 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Maybe he's a candidate to be flipped in a package to a team looking for young players with upside for more of a win now type player in return.... Kemba, Grant, etc....
NO .

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 1,749

Post#33 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 6, 2021 3:21 am

I am excited to see him play. Larry Hughes called him a sleeper leading up to this year's draft. Looks like he also closed out his G-League stint pretty strongly, cracking the starting lineup in his final 2 games of what was a very short G league season of 15 games and no playoffs.

He exploded for 25 points and 11 rebounds in his final game against the Austin Spurs

;ab_channel=nbagleague

Also comes across as pretty mature in his interview. He was actually coached a briefly by Rasheed Wallace.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 2,842

Post#34 » by DCZards » Sat Aug 7, 2021 9:45 pm

This kid needs to get a lot smarter and stronger but his size, length and shooting stroke are why you draft and develop him.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 10,100

Post#35 » by Ruzious » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:25 pm

doclinkin wrote:I actually think Todd may take Rui's minutes at PF before too long. More aggressive and decisive in attacking the basket, smoother and more proficient with his outside shot. Rui is training with big Guards tutors instead of learning to play with big Bigs. Not sure this was the smartest tactical move for him.

Tbh, I think aggressiveness and decisiveness are the major weaknesses in Todd's game, but if that's changing - that's great to hear.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 10,100

Post#36 » by Ruzious » Sat Aug 7, 2021 10:27 pm

DCZards wrote:This kid needs to get a lot smarter and stronger but his size, length and shooting stroke are why you draft and develop him.

Agreed - and I think he has gained weight since the Ignite games - perhaps a reason Tommy targeted him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 3,211

Post#37 » by doclinkin » Sat Aug 7, 2021 11:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Tbh, I think aggressiveness and decisiveness are the major weaknesses in Todd's game, but if that's changing - that's great to hear.

Yeah, I'm wrong on this for now. Rui's play in the Olympics showed a more determined decisive and focused player, not deferential and hesitant, more willing to bang in the front court than dribble into a doubleteam and pull up for a contested mid-range jumper. I've been impressed with this version of Rui. Clearly Westbrook had an effect on him.

I do suspect Todd's instincts to attack the basket are in there. If you see him in highschool he was attacking on the interior and feasting on whatever sacrificial lamb he faced.

I suspect he got his nose blunted when he was suddenly in practice with players as talented or even more talented than him, and facing full grown adults in games. He got hit and had an attitude adjustment. Lost a little confidence maybe. And had to wonder if his talent would translate the way the game had come easily to him before. This kid was 6'10" tall as a freshman in highschool. I don't think he was challenged all that much.

Still, his body has not hit that grown man strength yet, and as he adds muscle I think he will realize he still has all that in him. I get the sense at some point, maybe when he dunks on a pro in an NBA game, he's going to have that feeling: yeah I belong here. And want to do that again. He may need someone hyping him up and driving him, would have been great to have Russ here still, but yeah, he has the talent, needs the strength, confidence will follow.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 5,897

Post#38 » by Dat2U » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:20 am

I assume he spends the entire year with the Go-Go. Not gonna have many opportunities to any minutes this season looking at the depth chart.
gambitx777
Head Coach
And1: 897

Post#39 » by gambitx777 » Sun Aug 8, 2021 5:55 am

Depends if we trade bertans, if we move him. **** it sign him to a 4 year with some non G money and let him get some minutes.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
long suffrin' boulez fan
Head Coach
And1: 2,479

Post#40 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:07 pm

smoothSeph wrote:;t=20s&ab_channel=NBAonESPN

I really enjoyed this. He seems extremely thoughtful and humble and willing to put in the work. Got a potentially devastating inside out game.

He reminds me of Jermaine O’Neal.
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards