ImageImageImageImageImage

"Not IT?": Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Re: The real Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward. 

Post#41 » by Shoe » Sun Aug 8, 2021 2:35 pm

DCZards wrote:This kid needs to get a lot smarter and stronger but his size, length and shooting stroke are why you draft and develop him.

He has a Mike Scott half court game, but he was also 90th percentile in transition.
DCsOwn
Junior
And1: 126

Post#42 » by DCsOwn » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:37 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#43 » by Frichuela » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:00 pm

DCsOwn wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Proof that Tommy really likes him as a prospect. Time will tell...
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#44 » by Frichuela » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:02 pm

According to Hoopsrumors: a four-year minimum deal for a rookie would be worth about $6.3MM, so it sounds like Todd’s first-year salary will be higher than the minimum. Washington will complete the signing using a portion of the team’s mid-level exception, which allows the club to offer up to four years.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/wizards-isaiah-todd-agree-to-four-year-deal.html
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,347

Post#45 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Frichuela wrote:According to Hoopsrumors: a four-year minimum deal for a rookie would be worth about $6.3MM, so it sounds like Todd’s first-year salary will be higher than the minimum. Washington will complete the signing using a portion of the team’s mid-level exception, which allows the club to offer up to four years.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/08/wizards-isaiah-todd-agree-to-four-year-deal.html

He also gave him 3 years guaranteed. Often, a 2nd round pick gets the Cassius Winston treatment with the later years unguaranteed.

I guess there's a little negotiating advantage if you are the first pick in the 2nd round.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,111

Post#46 » by J-Ves » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:40 pm

I can’t believe they gave him 3 years guaranteed. Even 1st rounders only get 2.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#47 » by tontoz » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:50 pm

My guess is that they intend to leave him in the G league in his first year to develop. They probably don't expect him to actually produce for the Wiz until year 3 or 4.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#48 » by pcbothwel » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:10 pm

J-Ves wrote:I can’t believe they gave him 3 years guaranteed. Even 1st rounders only get 2.

Its not every player, but its certainly common now... 3 of the first 4 picks in the 2nd round of the 2020 draft (Terry, Carey, Maledon) signed 4 year deals in the 6.5-7.2M range with 3 years guaranteed. Carson Edwards in 2019, and Brunson in 2018.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#49 » by 9 and 20 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:11 pm

They gave Admiral Schofield some guaranteed years too, if I remember right. Hopefully it works out better this time around.

I saw that documentary on Todd and his mom. His mom could have been a character on The Wire. Leonsis would be Clay Davis, sheeeeeeeeit.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#50 » by Kanyewest » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:16 pm

J-Ves wrote:I can’t believe they gave him 3 years guaranteed. Even 1st rounders only get 2.

According to hoopsype, it seems to be similar to last year's 1st picsk of the 2nd round Tyrell Terry, Vernon Carey, Xavier Tillman whose first 3 years are guaranteed and 4th year has a team option. Theo Maledon was guaranteed all 4 years. Tre Jones of the Spurs guaranteed 3 years.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#51 » by payitforward » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:10 am

tontoz wrote:My guess is that they intend to leave him in the G league in his first year to develop....

Todd was signed to the regular roster, which means he is one of our 15 players.

He might still be able to spend time in the G League, I don't know. But, we'll be down a player in that case.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#52 » by Dark Faze » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:20 pm

Lol G-League.

He's going to be 20 years old when the season starts. If Tommy slid back 10 spots out of the first round of a very good draft in order to "stash" someone in the G-League, then...yeesh.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,347

Post#53 » by nate33 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:39 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Lol G-League.

He's going to be 20 years old when the season starts. If Tommy slid back 10 spots out of the first round of a very good draft in order to "stash" someone in the G-League, then...yeesh.

?

The issue with Todd being stashed has little to do with the quality of the pick. It has to do with the depth of the roster. What were the odds that a 2nd round pick was going to be better than the 13th and 14th best players on the roster (Neto and Gill)?

Expecting a 2nd round pick rookie to break into the rotation on this roster is a pretty tall order.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#54 » by tontoz » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:59 pm

nate33 wrote:

?

The issue with Todd being stashed has little to do with the quality of the pick. It has to do with the depth of the roster. What were the odds that a 2nd round pick was going to be better than the 13th and 14th best players on the roster (Neto and Gill)?

Expecting a 2nd round pick rookie to break into the rotation on this roster is a pretty tall order.

I watched a scouting vid on Todd that didn't just show the strengths but also showed the weaknesses. He definitely has some issues he needs to work out before he can really help us. Most notably he loves taking contested long 2s off the dribble. I would be perfectly ok leaving him in the G-League all year so he gets the chance to play and work on his issues. Needs to get stronger as well.

Just look at Beal. He didn't even average 20 ppg until year 5 after playing big minutes his first 4 seasons. He used to be a terrible pick and roll player, settled for long 2s way too much and didn't get to the foul line.

In year 4 Beal got to the foul line 3.2 times per game. This past season it was 7.7 per game.

We have a lot of forwards. Assuming none of them get traded who is Todd playing in front of?
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#55 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:28 pm

tontoz wrote:
nate33 wrote:

?

I watched a scouting vid on Todd that didn't just show the strengths but also showed the weaknesses. He definitely has some issues he needs to work out before he can really help us. Most notably he loves taking contested long 2s off the dribble. I would be perfectly ok leaving him in the G-League all year so he gets the chance to play and work on his issues. Needs to get stronger as well.

Just look at Beal. He didn't even average 20 ppg until year 5 after playing big minutes his first 4 seasons. He used to be a terrible pick and roll player, settled for long 2s way too much and didn't get to the foul line.

In year 4 Beal got to the foul line 3.2 times per game. This past season it was 7.7 per game.

We have a lot of forwards. Assuming none of them get traded who is Todd playing in front of?

Yeah, I doubt he plays at all unless they send him to the G League. It might be good for him to be around the NBA roster for the first month or so of the seasons so that he can practice with the team and learn good working habits - but then send him to the G League for a couple months so he can play.

Btw, I still think they should have taken JT Thor (who went 37th) if they were looking for a developmental athletic PF type.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#56 » by Kanyewest » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:35 pm

tontoz wrote:
nate33 wrote:

?

I feel like Beal still settles for a lot of long 2s, the difference is he's just making them. But yeah agree with the main point that Beal is much better at getting to the line.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#57 » by Kanyewest » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:11 pm

First 10 games of the G league season-
10.5 ppg, 4.1 rebounds per game, 0.3 steals per game, 0.4 assists per game, 0.5 blocks per game, 1.9 turnovers per game in 23 mpg on 38 fg%/35 3p%/77 FT%

Last 5 games of the G league season
16 ppg, 6.4 rpg, 1.6 apg, 0.8 steals per game, 1.2 blocks per game, 0.8 turnovers per game in 28 mpg on 50 fg%/39 3p%/100 ft% in 28 mpg

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Isaiah-Todd/GameLogs/117340
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Post#58 » by doclinkin » Thu Sep 2, 2021 11:56 pm

Read on Twitter

IT: I’m an energy guy. I run the floor. I’m a spacer. I’m long, athletic and can shoot the 3 and defend guards. I can stay in front of the little guys as well.

Do you think it was kind of like an eye-opening experience to see the physicality in the bubble?

IT: It definitely was an eye-opener. It let me see where I was, and I knew I had to get a little stronger so that’s what we focused on and keyed in on.

What has been the biggest area you're trying to improve?

IT: I’ve just been improving on my strength. I gained a lot of weight, I’m up to 220-225 now. I still have the same mobility and agility; I was around 210 in the bubble.

What was the biggest thing you took from the Ignite experience?

IT: It let me see where I was, what I needed to work on and where my game was and where it needed to be. In layman’s terms, it put my game into perspective.

Where do you think you were at that point?

IT: I think at that point, my focuses were knocking down the open shot, running the floor, being that spacer and finding my niche. I think that is for any rook.

How important is it for rookies to know what their role is?

IT: Just knowing where you’re supposed to be at on defense and being able to do your part. It helps everybody else and it helps the team move in the right direction. If you can’t do that, then we can’t even move forward with the real X’s and O’s and the real part of the game.

Have you heard about participating in the NBA Draft Combine?

IT: I’ll be at the combine, yes. An objective of mine going into the combine will be just to continue to show the glimpses of what I showed in the bubble and more, like how I’ve improved on rebounding especially.

Looks like his priorities are straight. He seems like a bright thoughtful kid in interviews. He seems to have good tools, physically and mentally, to grow and learn. I'll be curious to see how Wes' mentorship shapes him. Fundamentals and smart technique will carry him a long way, but he already runs the pick and roll game well.

I like that his highlights from summerleague are mostly defense. Doesn't rebound much yet but moves his feet well to guard guys from the perimeter in.

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Re: The real IT: Isaiah Todd. Wizards forward. 

Post#59 » by doclinkin » Fri Sep 3, 2021 12:03 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#60 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 3, 2021 12:18 am

doclinkin wrote:
Read on Twitter

IT: I’m an energy guy. I run the floor. I’m a spacer. I’m long, athletic and can shoot the 3 and defend guards. I can stay in front of the little guys as well.

Do you think it was kind of like an eye-opening experience to see the physicality in the bubble?

IT: It definitely was an eye-opener. It let me see where I was, and I knew I had to get a little stronger so that’s what we focused on and keyed in on.

What has been the biggest area you're trying to improve?

IT: I’ve just been improving on my strength. I gained a lot of weight, I’m up to 220-225 now. I still have the same mobility and agility; I was around 210 in the bubble.

What was the biggest thing you took from the Ignite experience?

IT: It let me see where I was, what I needed to work on and where my game was and where it needed to be. In layman’s terms, it put my game into perspective.

Where do you think you were at that point?

IT: I think at that point, my focuses were knocking down the open shot, running the floor, being that spacer and finding my niche. I think that is for any rook.

How important is it for rookies to know what their role is?

IT: Just knowing where you’re supposed to be at on defense and being able to do your part. It helps everybody else and it helps the team move in the right direction. If you can’t do that, then we can’t even move forward with the real X’s and O’s and the real part of the game.

Have you heard about participating in the NBA Draft Combine?

IT: I’ll be at the combine, yes. An objective of mine going into the combine will be just to continue to show the glimpses of what I showed in the bubble and more, like how I’ve improved on rebounding especially.

Looks like his priorities are straight. He seems like a bright thoughtful kid in interviews. He seems to have good tools, physically and mentally, to grow and learn. I'll be curious to see how Wes' mentorship shapes him. Fundamentals and smart technique will carry him a long way, but he already runs the pick and roll game well.

I like that his highlights from summerleague are mostly defense. Doesn't rebound much yet but moves his feet well to guard guys from the perimeter in.

Smart kid. Definitely has good insight and the ability to articulate. He’s likely a leader type. I think he’s going to meet and exceed expectations.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards