ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Frichuela
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,343
And1: 764
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
 

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#41 » by Frichuela » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:55 pm

Looking at 3-men lineups stats for 2020-21, the combo of Kuzma-KCP-Harrell (250 minutes total) was pretty fine, particularly defensively. A ORTG of 106.8 and a DRTG of 101.3, for a Net rating of +5.5.

Let's hope these 3 bring some much needed defensive intensity to the Wiz!
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 12,284
And1: 4,737
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#42 » by FAH1223 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:55 am

Image
User avatar
SUPERBALLMAN
Analyst
Posts: 3,361
And1: 647
Joined: Aug 08, 2006
     

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#43 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:36 am

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
WallToWall
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,993
And1: 545
Joined: May 20, 2010
         

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#44 » by WallToWall » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:06 am

Frichuela wrote:Looking at 3-men lineups stats for 2020-21, the combo of Kuzma-KCP-Harrell (250 minutes total) was pretty fine, particularly defensively. A ORTG of 106.8 and a DRTG of 101.3, for a Net rating of +5.5.

Let's hope these 3 bring some much needed defensive intensity to the Wiz!

Was LeTravel and AD on the floor with them? If yes, then that is a big factor.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
9 and 20
Sophomore
Posts: 227
And1: 141
Joined: Mar 28, 2021
 

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#45 » by 9 and 20 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:43 am

FAH1223 wrote:


Kuzma saying pretty much all the right things - shooting, defending, passing and facilitating. Also cites the benefit of learning from Lebron and talked about the challenges for young guys having their roles change significantly - going from a focal point to a support role in LA. Talked a bit about the glut of forwards also.

My low expectations of him are driven almost entirely by his dumb hair (I'm a terrible, superficial person). Maybe he's a player for us this year. Tall, can shoot and defend - he definitely looks the part and checks most boxes for a modern NBA forward.

With Bertans coming in fat last year and Kuzma sounding like a more mature, veteran guy - Bertans has overtaken Kuzma as the leading candidate for the Turd Leonsis award for terriblest Wiz player.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 45,859
And1: 10,100
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:15 pm

9 and 20 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:


Kuzma saying pretty much all the right things - shooting, defending, passing and facilitating. Also cites the benefit of learning from Lebron and talked about the challenges for young guys having their roles change significantly - going from a focal point to a support role in LA. Talked a bit about the glut of forwards also.

My low expectations of him are driven almost entirely by his dumb hair (I'm a terrible, superficial person). Maybe he's a player for us this year. Tall, can shoot and defend - he definitely looks the part and checks most boxes for a modern NBA forward.

With Bertans coming in fat last year and Kuzma sounding like a more mature, veteran guy - Bertans has overtaken Kuzma as the leading candidate for the Turd Leonsis award for terriblest Wiz player.

Lol, I think what you said about his hair is what everyone was thinking - at least I was. No doubt that he is a talented player who has improved (finally) and has a championship ring. And I saw someone said Lebron called him the NBA's most improved player last season. Hopefully there's more improvement yet to come. I think he'll get first shot at starter's minutes.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
User avatar
keynote
General Manager
Posts: 9,145
And1: 2,355
Joined: May 20, 2002
Location: Acceptance
         

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#47 » by keynote » Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:52 pm

I just watched the highlights of his career night vs Detroit (41 points in 3 quarters).

He might have a little poor man's Tatum in him(!). Is he maddeningly inconsistent, like a Jeff Green?
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
User avatar
doclinkin
RealGM
Posts: 11,038
And1: 3,211
Joined: Jul 26, 2004
Location: .wizuds.

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#48 » by doclinkin » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:17 pm

keynote wrote:I just watched the highlights of his career night vs Detroit (41 points in 3 quarters).

He might have a little poor man's Tatum in him(!). Is he maddeningly inconsistent, like a Jeff Green?


Thing is young players often take a bit to figure out how to be consistent. To string games together at that peak. In the case of Kuzma seems like he was learning and growing, then LeBJ came and his role changed, then AD was added and he was bumped to a different position. Never know, could be that his breakout year was delayed as he learned new roles. I do like the narrative that his defense has improved. It may not show up in the stats, though his rebounding increased, which is a notable thing playing next to LEBJ and AD.
User avatar
FAH1223
RealGM
Posts: 12,284
And1: 4,737
Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Location: Laurel, MD
       

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#49 » by FAH1223 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:50 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Image
User avatar
gambitx777
Head Coach
Posts: 6,485
And1: 897
Joined: Dec 18, 2012

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#50 » by gambitx777 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:46 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
The dude will have no issues getting a hottie in the DMV!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 17,249
And1: 5,623
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#51 » by payitforward » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:01 pm

(moving this to more appropriate spot)....
doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:I
As to how Kuzma became "an elite rebounder," sometimes I wonder who goes for this stuff? As a rookie, Kuzma averaged 8.1 boards per 40 minutes. This last year, he averaged 8.6 rebounds per 40 minutes.

That's right! He has raised his rebounding by 1/2 a board every 40 minutes! Whoa!

In fairness, Lakers' overall rebounding dropped a bit in those years. Thinking of it that way you could credit him with a little bigger jump. Anyway... better is better.

As well, Kuzma's rebounding dropped his 2d & esp. his 3d year. Hence, if you just look at the change from his year 3 to 4, the increase is a bit more significant. Especially the increase in offensive rebounding.


Okay, me I go for this stuff. Sure, we can say 'elite' is overstating it. However, while his rebounding dropped off with the addition of LeBJ and then AD, he managed to recover and then some. This despite being posted to the SF position, even as a perimeter player he managed to increase his rebounding significantly, especially in Offensive boards. Even while LeBJ and AD siphoned heavy minutes in the front court. Hell they added monster rebounder Andre Drummond, who averaged 15 boards per 40min. And Montrezl Harrell (10/40).

So, okay elite maybe not, but Kuz was among the better rebounders playing out of the SF spot, especially in offensive boards work. With his increased effort and focus on this skill it seems to be he could post better numbers in the front court, even better perhaps than the bigger stronger Hachimura, who posted 6 boards per 40 minutes, ostensibly playing PF.

Well, it was only the word "elite" that prompted my reaction. The points you make are good ones.

Kuzma played PF his first two years. His productivity fell way off his 3d year when he was more or less exclusively a 3. The very good news is that he recovered & more, improved significantly, last season. That's the right trajectory. Especially since SF is where he should be playing. Or, simply say that he should be, mostly, a perimeter player on offense.

Thing is, if you look at what's changed for him over those 4 years -- what made him drop off his 2d & 3d years & made him more productive his 4th year -- it really is the improvement in his rebounding. Despite my critical comment above.

In fact, it's almost exclusively his improvement in offensive rebounding!

So, if you think of Kuzma as a 4, his defensive rebounding is a little above average, & his offensive rebounding is way above average. But, if you think of him as a 3, his defensive rebounding is way above average, & his offensive rebounding is absolutely tremendous.

Best comparison? Otto Porter -- only not nearly as good as Otto's 2 best years. But, I think that's the idea for Kuzma. Be like good Otto Porter.
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#52 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:04 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This is really significant. Dude is going to be hell-bent on basketball without any distractions
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#53 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:05 am

payitforward wrote:(moving this to more appropriate spot)....
doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:I
As to how Kuzma became "an elite rebounder," sometimes I wonder who goes for this stuff? As a rookie, Kuzma averaged 8.1 boards per 40 minutes. This last year, he averaged 8.6 rebounds per 40 minutes.

That's right! He has raised his rebounding by 1/2 a board every 40 minutes! Whoa!

In fairness, Lakers' overall rebounding dropped a bit in those years. Thinking of it that way you could credit him with a little bigger jump. Anyway... better is better.

As well, Kuzma's rebounding dropped his 2d & esp. his 3d year. Hence, if you just look at the change from his year 3 to 4, the increase is a bit more significant. Especially the increase in offensive rebounding.


Okay, me I go for this stuff. Sure, we can say 'elite' is overstating it. However, while his rebounding dropped off with the addition of LeBJ and then AD, he managed to recover and then some. This despite being posted to the SF position, even as a perimeter player he managed to increase his rebounding significantly, especially in Offensive boards. Even while LeBJ and AD siphoned heavy minutes in the front court. Hell they added monster rebounder Andre Drummond, who averaged 15 boards per 40min. And Montrezl Harrell (10/40).

So, okay elite maybe not, but Kuz was among the better rebounders playing out of the SF spot, especially in offensive boards work. With his increased effort and focus on this skill it seems to be he could post better numbers in the front court, even better perhaps than the bigger stronger Hachimura, who posted 6 boards per 40 minutes, ostensibly playing PF.

Well, it was only the word "elite" that prompted my reaction. The points you make are good ones.

Kuzma played PF his first two years. His productivity fell way off his 3d year when he was more or less exclusively a 3. The very good news is that he recovered & more, improved significantly, last season. That's the right trajectory. Especially since SF is where he should be playing. Or, simply say that he should be, mostly, a perimeter player on offense.

Thing is, if you look at what's changed for him over those 4 years -- what made him drop off his 2d & 3d years & made him more productive his 4th year -- it really is the improvement in his rebounding. Despite my critical comment above.

In fact, it's almost exclusively his improvement in offensive rebounding!

So, if you think of Kuzma as a 4, his defensive rebounding is a little above average, & his offensive rebounding is way above average. But, if you think of him as a 3, his defensive rebounding is way above average, & his offensive rebounding is absolutely tremendous.

Best comparison? Otto Porter -- only not nearly as good as Otto's 2 best years. But, I think that's the idea for Kuzma. Be like good Otto Porter.


When you think of Kyle Kuzma at small forward now you understand why Kenneth Holmes said that Tommy Shepard is a freaking genius.
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#54 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:07 am

Kuzma at small forward and Rui might have to worry about coming off the bench, Where we will suddenly discover that he is a tremendous sixth man.

Montrezl Harrell should be the starting power forward.

Thomas Bryant should be the starting center with Gafford probably finishing games because of his tremendous defense.

Corey Kispert should be the back up shooting guard and the back of small forward when KCP is not playing.

We have a 50 win team if it is called correctly
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#55 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:08 am

I clearly said coached correctly and Google changed it to called correctly
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
User avatar
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
Posts: 49,360
And1: 7,418
Joined: Aug 05, 2001
Location: Mililani, Hawaii (Oahu)
Contact:
       

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#56 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:09 am

ADA think of my posts as those of a disabled veteran who is really trying to contribute despite having a few distractions. Also since nobody is posting in his forum lately this gives us something to look at when we’re bored
After the Wizards GM really went and did it by having an imaginative, strong, draft day. I totally feel this as well;

AFM wrote:Don't sleep on these white bois. That's all I'm saying.
Godymas
Junior
Posts: 467
And1: 309
Joined: Feb 27, 2016

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#57 » by Godymas » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:23 pm

I'm happy to have Kuzma on the roster

there were talks of whether it was Kuzma or Trez that should be the Lakers 6MotY candidate last year. This year he's in the perfect position to have a Jordan Clarkson type of breakout. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get solid minutes when the other scorers aren't on the floor. He brings good size with scoring punch and solid defensive capability, basically everything he has the Wizards need. A couple years playing second fiddle to LeBron doesn't change the fact that he's still capable of being a 19 ppg scorer on solid efficiency. That plus a solid 6+ boards he's got good value on the NBA floor and maybe he still has a bit more to show in the tank, especially now that he'll have a bigger role than before.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Posts: 24,240
And1: 5,941
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Location: South Florida
 

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#58 » by penbeast0 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 12:14 am

I'd like to see Kuzma compete with Avdija for the starting 3 slot. Similarly, I'd like both Gafford and Bryant given a shot at earning the starting 5 with Harrell having a chance to start at the 4 (better fit with Bryant but would try him with Gafford as well). Bertans and KCP are pretty much known quantities; you know what they can give you and if none of the others step their game up given the opportunity, they could be the starting forwards. But try the others to see what lineups work and if any of them can take a major step forward.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
User avatar
closg00
RealGM
Posts: 21,279
And1: 2,880
Joined: Nov 21, 2004

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#59 » by closg00 » Sun Sep 5, 2021 11:47 pm

Dang, video removed :(
I am for trading Beal
payitforward
RealGM
Posts: 17,249
And1: 5,623
Joined: May 02, 2012
Location: On the Atlantic

Re: The Official Kyle Kuzma Thread 

Post#60 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 6, 2021 12:16 am

Can anyone pick out Joel Ayayi in this group?
Remember -- if you don't like the post above: blame Doc not me.

Return to Washington Wizards