ImageImageImageImageImage

Coach Wes Unseld Jr, Appreciation Thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Re: Coach Wes Unseld Jr, thread. 

Post#41 » by queridiculo » Tue Nov 9, 2021 12:19 pm

Dolevi wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Deni never would have been unlocked like this if Brooks was still the coach. Granted, Deni has a long way to go and he's playing through his offensive issues, but he's legit one of our best perimeter defenders and that wouldn't have happened under Brooks.

At the very least, the team comes out prepared and there is some semblance of sanity in the play calls, rotations, subs, etc. That's all I ever wanted lol. Just make it make sense.

This is what it means to have a real NBA coach instead of the calamity that Scotty Brooks is...Unbelievable that we had to suffer him for 5 freaking years...thank you Ernie & Ted :banghead:

Does Scott Brooks coaching a team nowadays?

He's assistant for the Trail Blazers.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#42 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Nov 9, 2021 1:37 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Dolevi wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
This is what it means to have a real NBA coach instead of the calamity that Scotty Brooks is...Unbelievable that we had to suffer him for 5 freaking years...thank you Ernie & Ted :banghead:

Does Scott Brooks coaching a team nowadays?

He's assistant for the Trail Blazers.

He’s probably fine as an assistant. Let him go pick up sandwiches for meetings, drive players’ in-laws to the airport. Stuff like that
In Rizzo we trust
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#43 » by leswizards » Tue Nov 9, 2021 6:26 pm

I would love to know why Wes is giving Kyle so many minutes. I don’t get it, but the tram is 7-3, so I guess that I shouldnt complain.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#44 » by Wizardspride » Tue Nov 9, 2021 6:31 pm

leswizards wrote:I would love to know why Wes is giving Kyle so many minutes. I don’t get it, but the tram is 7-3, so I guess that I shouldnt complain.

I think he's playing well.

And besides, who else should get those minutes at the moment?
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#45 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 6:46 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
leswizards wrote:I would love to know why Wes is giving Kyle so many minutes. I don’t get it, but the tram is 7-3, so I guess that I shouldnt complain.

Yeah. In the first few games, Avdija and Bertans were really bad and Rui was hurt. Kuzma was really the only guy Unseld could play. And Kuzma rose to the occasion, providing defense and rebounding every night, and sporadic but not awful offense.

I think, after his recent stretch, Avdija might be making a case to challenge Kuzma for minutes, but up until 2 or 3 games ago, it made perfect sense for Kuzma to get all those minutes.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#46 » by tontoz » Tue Nov 9, 2021 7:16 pm

Kuzma's problem is that he is not as good a scorer as he thinks. If he can accept his limitations and improve his shot selection he can be a useful player.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#47 » by NatP4 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 7:21 pm

nate33 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

Yeah. In the first few games, Avdija and Bertans were really bad and Rui was hurt. Kuzma was really the only guy Unseld could play. And Kuzma rose to the occasion, providing defense and rebounding every night, and sporadic but not awful offense.

I think, after his recent stretch, Avdija might be making a case to challenge Kuzma for minutes, but up until 2 or 3 games ago, it made perfect sense for Kuzma to get all those minutes.

I’m not sure what this means. Avdija leads the team on/off by a lot(for players that have played 100+ minutes), and Kuzma is dead last on the team.

It makes no sense to play Kuzma more than 15 or so minutes. Both Kispert and Avdija could play way more. Hell, Anthony Gill is probably a better player than Kuzma.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#48 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 9:05 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’m not sure what this means. Avdija leads the team on/off by a lot(for players that have played 100+ minutes), and Kuzma is dead last on the team.

It makes no sense to play Kuzma more than 15 or so minutes. Both Kispert and Avdija could play way more. Hell, Anthony Gill is probably a better player than Kuzma.

You can't treat on/off as gospel over such small sample sizes. Particularly when one guy is a starter and matches up against Anunoby, Turner, Durant, Tatum and Collins, while the other guy is a backup matching up against Torrey Craig, Chris Boucher, Millsap, Jabari Parker, and Gallinari.

Kuzma averaged 15.2 points, 11.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists per 36 over his first 6 games as the Wizards went 5-1. That actually happened. (His TS% was a pretty sucky .499 though.)

During those same 6 games, Avdija averaged 8.4 points 9.3 boards and 2.1 assists per 36 against backups, with an even worse TS% of .448.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#49 » by NatP4 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I’m not sure what this means. Avdija leads the team on/off by a lot(for players that have played 100+ minutes), and Kuzma is dead last on the team.

You can't treat on/off as gospel over such small sample sizes. Particularly when one guy is a starter and matches up against Anunoby, Turner, Durant, Tatum and Collins, while the other guy is a backup matching up against Torrey Craig, Chris Boucher, Millsap, Jabari Parker, and Gallinari.

Kuzma averaged 15.2 points, 11.6 rebounds and 1.8 assists per 36 over his first 6 games as the Wizards went 5-1. That actually happened. (His TS% was a pretty sucky .499 though.)

During those same 6 games, Avdija averaged 8.4 points 9.3 boards and 2.1 assists per 36 against backups, with an even worse TS% of .448.

Kuzma has been a boat anchor for the last 3 years, it’s not just 6 games.

The point is moreso that we should play our last couple former 1st round picks over a random 27 year old journeyman fringe player that really has no positive impact.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#50 » by tontoz » Tue Nov 9, 2021 10:59 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

The point is moreso that we should play our last couple former 1st round picks over a random 27 year old journeyman fringe player that really has no positive impact.

RPM has him at .24 last year so roughly average. And we need him because Rui and Bertans are out. He has experience playing on a contender.

If we get guys back and his scoring efficiency doesnt improve then by all means cut his minutes. Until then i have no problem with him playing, just as long as he doesn't try to do too much with the ball.

I like what i have seen from him the last two games. Similar to Beal it looks like he is toning down his 1 on 1 antics. I would guess Wes is getting in their ear.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#51 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 9, 2021 11:06 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

You gotta earn your playing time, particularly on a team that is winning like the Wizards are at the moment. The fact is, Avdija did not produce enough to earn minutes over Kuzma in the first 6 or 7 games, so Wes gave Kuzma the minutes. That has changed a bit in the last couple of games and Avdija is rightfully getting more minutes. I don't see the problem.
Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Post#52 » by Dolevi » Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:02 am

I don't think it's right to criticize Kyle's game at the moment. Really, i know sometimes he makes some bricks, but overall and generally he has his moves and ways to make buckets. his contribution to our offense is important in order to score and win games. I don't think he's that bad right now. He does need consistency on his performances but overall i'm good with him. I do think he deserves his minutes. He can be useful for the offense, Deni more for the defense.

RPM has him at .24 last year so roughly average. And we need him because Rui and Bertans are out. He has experience playing on a contender.

If we get guys back and his scoring efficiency doesnt improve then by all means cut his minutes. Until then i have no problem with him playing, just as long as he doesn't try to do too much with the ball.

I like what i have seen from him the last two games. Similar to Beal it looks like he is toning down his 1 on 1 antics. I would guess Wes is getting in their ear.

Agreed.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#53 » by DCZards » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:19 am

Kuzma has his shortcomings but right now most nights he's helping the Zards win games. Until that changes I would expect Coach Wes to give him pretty much the minutes he's getting now.

The driving lay up Kuzma makes near the end of this video was one of the biggest shots of the last game. It came when the Zards were struggling to score, and the Bucks had the momentum and had cut the lead to 7.

[url][/url]
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#54 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:29 am

Kuzma started out like a ball of fire. The last few games, his shot stopped dropping; his rebounding declined as well. His minutes have dropped some, but he's still starting & playing a lot.

There's no particular reason to put him up against Avdija for minutes. In fact, there's no particular reason to see a problem of any kind at all.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#55 » by payitforward » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:41 am

Actually, this is pretty much wrong:
payitforward wrote:Kuzma started out like a ball of fire. The last few games, his shot stopped dropping; his rebounding declined as well....

He's been up and down as a scorer & rebounder. Had an unbelievable game vs. the Pacers for sure. But, he also had a good game vs. the Bucks the other night.

Again... I'm not sure what problem we could possibly be discussing.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#56 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:48 am

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:I think he's playing well.

I’m not sure what this means. Avdija leads the team on/off by a lot(for players that have played 100+ minutes), and Kuzma is dead last on the team.

Dude, I think you’re harshing on the Kuz. He’s not LeBron, but he’s a replacement level player or slightly better. He’s a 6’10” combo forward who can rebound, defend and shoot a little. Wes is doing a good job mixing and matching. Nothing to see here. Let’s all move along.
In Rizzo we trust
NatP4
RealGM

Post#57 » by NatP4 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:33 am

The wizards have a -0.3 net rating with Kuzma on the court and a +11.9 with him OFF THE COURT. He’s posting a brutal 50.7% TS.

My point is fairly simple: Kuzma shouldn’t lead the team in minutes. It’s a fact: the wizards have been better with him off the court......by a lot.

At best, Kuzma is a backup PF and 9th or 10th man. Not trying to dog on Unseld Jr. I think he’s been great. That would be my only critique.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#58 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:26 am

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Play a 20 year-old over a 27 year old veteran who's been on a championship team? Think of a guy who's busting his tail as a boat anchor. (Same guy is an age wise and experience wise peer of Beal.)

That would ruin any good will from Kuzma. It would alienate players. It would destroy team chemistry. It would ruin the asset value of Kuzma.

You like Deni but you're not seeing the biggest thing. Winning this way is better. Deni is developing BETTER than if he played twice as many minutes and made at least twice as many mistakes.

I know you're not budging but I think that you are way wrong on this.

Bertans is the player who seems to not deserve minutes but he's another player who needs his value increased.

Sent from my SM-A526U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#59 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:36 am

NatP4 wrote:The wizards have a -0.3 net rating with Kuzma on the court and a +11.9 with him OFF THE COURT. He’s posting a brutal 50.7% TS.

My point is fairly simple: Kuzma shouldn’t lead the team in minutes. It’s a fact: the wizards have been better with him off the court......by a lot.

At best, Kuzma is a backup PF and 9th or 10th man. Not trying to dog on Unseld Jr. I think he’s been great. That would be my only critique.
Reading comments from others I see noone agrees with you. Way too harsh. Ninth or tenth man?

Since you like to condemn by past performance riddle me this: How does the same player go from 5.6 defensive rebounds per 36 minutes to 9.0 per 36? Rebounding shows hustle and desire. Kuzma is putting in work. That is what LEADERS do. (His overall rebounds right now are 10.3 vs career 7.7 per 36)

Guess what else? He's shooting less than in past seasons. Not more. Less. About 10% less than career norms for him.

Sent from my SM-A526U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#60 » by nate33 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:37 am

NatP4 wrote:The wizards have a -0.3 net rating with Kuzma on the court and a +11.9 with him OFF THE COURT. He’s posting a brutal 50.7% TS.

Consider a hypothetical 5-man starting unit, each with a clone who plays on the 2nd unit. The starting unit and the second unit would be identical in ability. However, the 2nd unit clones would have a much better on/off rating because they play the opposition's 2nd units, while the starting clones had to face the opposition's starters.

The greatest strength of the team is our depth. Our 2nd best player isn't much better than our 9th best player. Effectively, outside of Beal, our 2nd unit is barely worse than our starters, if they're worse at all. With that the case, ANYONE who plays on the 2nd unit is likely to have a good on/off differential because they are nearly as good as our starters but they play against the opposition's weak 2nd unit players. Aaron Holiday has a better on/off differential than Bradley Beal and Spencer Dinwiddie, but he is not a better player. Likewise, Kispert is not better than KCP.

If Avdija started all season and Kuzma came off the bench, I guarantee you that Avdija's on/off wouldn't be so good and Kuzma's would be much better.

Return to Washington Wizards