ImageImageImageImageImage

Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread. 

Post#381 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 8, 2022 2:23 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
9 and 20 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:

IMO Brogan is a no brainer target for us. Gooden even mentioned during the broadcast he is not in the Pacers plans moving forward.

From the vet collection of Ish, Neto, Sato I think we got the backup/depth at PG covered with one or 2 of them brought back on a low cost deal, they're all good team & locker room guys. But we need to find a starter.

Assuming Beal at SG. Kispert & KCP provide depth.

The Forwards I see a rotation of Kuz, Rui, Deni rotating at the 3 & 4 spots throughout the game, what order doesn't really matter... Kuz/Deni, Kuz/Rui, Rui/Deni. KCP adds depth at SF & Gil at PF brought back at low cost deal.

Center KP with Gaf as his backup. Wouldn't mind keeping Bryant as KP injury insurance but unlikely. Carey & Gil will be the C depth.

I think the team is pretty much set as is , just need the PG.

I'd like Brogdan too but if we keep all of Rui/Deni/Kispert, the only thing left to trade are future firsts. I'm not sure we should do that.

We probably still have the rights to Party John Ramos????

Good points. I’d give up Rui or Krispy plus Todd. Don’t know if that would do it.

PIF will kill me, but I’d consider giving up our first instead. If we’re going to try to win in this window, might as well go for it.

Nah, we shouldn't trade for Brogdon. He's a quality all-around player, but he hasn't shown to be a difference-maker on some pretty decent rosters at Indiana. Also, his 3 point shot has gone downhill - somewhat like Beal's - which makes me doubt he'd be a good complement for Beal.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#382 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Mar 8, 2022 2:34 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
9 and 20 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:

IMO Brogan is a no brainer target for us. Gooden even mentioned during the broadcast he is not in the Pacers plans moving forward.

From the vet collection of Ish, Neto, Sato I think we got the backup/depth at PG covered with one or 2 of them brought back on a low cost deal, they're all good team & locker room guys. But we need to find a starter.

The Forwards I see a rotation of Kuz, Rui, Deni rotating at the 3 & 4 spots throughout the game, what order doesn't really matter... Kuz/Deni, Kuz/Rui, Rui/Deni. KCP adds depth at SF & Gil at PF brought back at low cost deal.

Center KP with Gaf as his backup. Wouldn't mind keeping Bryant as KP injury insurance but unlikely. Carey & Gil will be the C depth.

I'd like Brogdan too but if we keep all of Rui/Deni/Kispert, the only thing left to trade are future firsts. I'm not sure we should do that.

We probably still have the rights to Party John Ramos????

Good points. I’d give up Rui or Krispy plus Todd. Don’t know if that would do it.

PIF will kill me, but I’d consider giving up our first instead. If we’re going to try to win in this window, might as well go for it.

If Indy is mainly looking to move his large salary & get younger, we may be able to put something together with Kispert & Todd + a 2nd? I believe we have a TPE we can work into the trade? We'd probably have to make that pick a 1st though. Maybe see if Indy wants Rui or KCP? Maybe a Rui + Kispert (the Gonzaga duo) package?
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,348

Post#383 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 8, 2022 3:05 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I know the majority of posters think Brogdan is too old for our window. But boy is he good.

Brogs
Beal
Deni
Kuz
Bazinga Gaff

Would the Pacers take Rui, KCP and a second for Brogdan?

Indy is a bad trade partner because they have the exact same goal as us: get younger and reload without bottoming out. Usually, trades only please both parties if they have different goals: i.e. one is trying to win now and the other is building toward the future.

Indy is going to want picks/prospect in a Brogdan trade, and I don't want to give up picks/prospects for a 29-year-old who isn't particularly durable. The price for Brogdan would probably be Rui and our lotto pick (and KCP as contract filler).

I'd rather just look for a younger, less-established guard using only Rui as the trade incentive. Something like Rui for Coby White makes more sense. Even better would be Rui for Jalen Suggs. I definitely want to retain our lotto pick and keep building through the draft.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#384 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Mar 8, 2022 3:32 pm

nate33 wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:I know the majority of posters think Brogdan is too old for our window. But boy is he good.

Brogs
Beal
Deni
Kuz
Bazinga Gaff

Would the Pacers take Rui, KCP and a second for Brogdan?

Indy is a bad trade partner because they have the exact same goal as us: get younger and reload without bottoming out. Usually, trades only please both parties if they have different goals: i.e. one is trying to win now and the other is building toward the future.

Indy is going to want picks/prospect in a Brogdan trade, and I don't want to give up picks/prospects for a 29-year-old who isn't particularly durable. The price for Brogdan would probably be Rui and our lotto pick (and KCP as contract filler).

I'd rather just look for a younger, less-established guard using only Rui as the trade incentive. Something like Rui for Coby White makes more sense. Even better would be Rui for Jalen Suggs. I definitely want to retain our lotto pick and keep building through the draft.

Do agree with this.... I actually really like the roster, especially the potential of our forwards rotation of Kuz, Deni, Rui. The size and versatility of those 3 rotating between the 3 & 4 spots, the switchability, the length, the D & scoring. KCP is a perfect 2/3 off the bench who can defend & score. Kispert gives us the sharp shooter off the bench. Ish, Sato, Neto are solid vets who are reliable off the bench and provide backcourt depth. Gil is a consumate pro who can fill in spots at the 4/5 and do the dirty work. Gafford is an ideal C off the bench who can defend and bring energy. Todd and Carey are big men with athleticism & skill who can add depth while continuing to develop. Maybe Ayayi can also be included in the backcourt mix as a developmental player?

Then top it with Beal and Porzingis.

Agree I want to keep our 1st to add more young talent to this roster.

At PG I still like the idea of making a strong push for FA Tyus Jones. I also like Pippen Jr as a 2nd round target in the draft.

Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 175

Post#385 » by Endless Loop » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:21 am

I'm puzzled about the G League team.
In late January they gave up 2 first round G League picks for DeJon Jarreau.
Now I can't even find him on the roster...
Fastest flameout ever??
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#386 » by 9 and 20 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:16 am

Ernie Grundlefeld secretly hired as head of the GoGo. DeJon Jarreau traded for Randy Foye's dirty underwear and Mike Miller's sweatband. We think it's a good, winning trade for us. Doodoo'd up underpants will help us in our playoff push. Miller's gaptooth aura will rub off on the rest of the GoGo. Still holding out hope for Rod Grizzard.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#387 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:50 pm

Endless Loop wrote:I'm puzzled about the G League team.
In late January they gave up 2 first round G League picks for DeJon Jarreau.
Now I can't even find him on the roster...
Fastest flameout ever??

So I'm watching this Go Go game and I'm surprised to see they still do have Ayayi! And Monroe? As well as Winston, Todd, etc. In fact Ayayi put up 19 in the 1st quarter!

Unfortunately my main reason for putting this on was I was hoping to see Carey and he is apparently not here, I guess he is strictly on the big club roster.

But watching this just reaffirms my confusion about what does Ayayi need to do to get a chance to play with the Wizards? He looks like an NBA player out here, making plays all over the court!
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Post#388 » by doclinkin » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:59 am

moving this:

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:But it is fair to say his greatest strength is not outside shooting, which is one of this team's greatest weaknesses.

You've mentioned this a couple of times, but I'm not so sure it's the case.

The Wizards finished with a 3P% of .342, which ranked 26th, so in the aggregate you are right. But I was playing around with the game logs and noticed something. The Wizards were terrible shooting team earlier in the season when Beal and Dinwiddie played. The offense was mostly a lot of isolation (after the first 15 games of the season when teams scouted us). Beal, Dinwiddie and Kuzma ended up with the bulk of the shots, and none of them are good 3-point shooters. If you look at the first 54 games (Beal's last game was the 49th game, and Dinwiddie's was the 54th), the team shot a horrific .323 from 3-point range on 30.9 attempts.

However, once those guys were gone and Wes Jr. had to implement a ball-movement offense, things improved dramatically. Over the final 28 games, the Wizards shot .381 from 3-point range, which would rank 1st in the league! KCP got a higher percentage of shots, Kispert got his NBA footing, and Rui came back from his hiatus to shoot 43%. Even Deni improved from 30% to 33%.

So I guess I'm saying that it's not really the personnel that are the problem with our shooting. It was the system. This probably doesn't belong in the Draft thread, lol.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Post#389 » by doclinkin » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:33 pm

Welp. Currently:

Monte. Beal. Davis.
Beal. Davis. Kispert.
Deni. Kispert. Kuz. Barton.
Kuz. Rui. Zay Todd.
KP. Gafford. Kuz. Carey.

Monte brings the ball up. Finds a spot to wait for a 3.

Porzingus in the high post takes the first pass, keeps the ball high overhead while players go in motion. Works the pick and roll/pick and pop game to keep the opponents guessing and force them to guard him out high. Offense flows through him as or literally biggest mismatch. Kuzma is the sub for this role.

Deni sets screens for Beal in motion. His screen and roll is a decoy, he will catch the ball but kick to the corner shooters on the drive. He will facilitate on the give and go when he sets a pick for a guard in motion and takes the dribble hand off or short pass after the pick. He is the relay man to move the ball around. Find who is open. Kuzma backs up this role.

Kuzma plays face up on the perimeter waiting for an open 3 or a mismatch on a switch. With doubleteams on Porzingis he is free to attack the now soft interior. Ruz is the back up for this role. Likewise Kispert, Barton.

Beal plays the off-ball motion game, running defenders into screens and picks, making a hard curl into the lane when he can get free. Johnny Davis is the understudy for this role. Also Kispert as a gunner who can hit a shot after motion.

We are short in the back court, but long up front. Wes liked the KP/Kuz/Deni line when we played it.

When Gafford is in the game we improve our defense, but clog our spacing on offense. Good for holding a lead though if we can get ahead early. Occasionally we will see the super-big line with Gafford/Zinger/Kuz up front.

If Davis develops quickly, he takes the place of Monte. We see more dribble handoffs than passing from the guards. But either is a threat to attack the lane.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#390 » by Frichuela » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:42 pm

doclinkin wrote:Welp. Currently:

Monte. Beal. Davis.
Beal. Davis. Kispert.
Deni. Kispert. Kuz. Barton.
Kuz. Rui. Zay Todd.
KP. Gafford. Kuz. Carey.

Monte brings the ball up. Finds a spot to wait for a 3.

Porzingus in the high post takes the first pass, keeps the ball high overhead while players go in motion. Works the pick and roll/pick and pop game to keep the opponents guessing and force them to guard him out high. Offense flows through him as or literally biggest mismatch. Kuzma is the sub for this role.

Deni sets screens for Beal in motion. His screen and roll is a decoy, he will catch the ball but kick to the corner shooters on the drive. He will facilitate on the give and go when he sets a pick for a guard in motion and takes the dribble hand off or short pass after the pick. He is the relay man to move the ball around. Find who is open. Kuzma backs up this role.

Kuzma plays face up on the perimeter waiting for an open 3 or a mismatch on a switch. With doubleteams on Porzingis he is free to attack the now soft interior. Ruz is the back up for this role. Likewise Kispert, Barton.

Beal plays the off-ball motion game, running defenders into screens and picks, making a hard curl into the lane when he can get free. Johnny Davis is the understudy for this role. Also Kispert as a gunner who can hit a shot after motion.

We are short in the back court, but long up front. Wes liked the KP/Kuz/Deni line when we played it.

When Gafford is in the game we improve our defense, but clog our spacing on offense. Good for holding a lead though if we can get ahead early. Occasionally we will see the super-big line with Gafford/Zinger/Kuz up front.

If Davis develops quickly, he takes the place of Monte. We see more dribble handoffs than passing from the guards. But either is a threat to attack the lane.

Good analysis but you appear to forget that Barton is likely to start and play +30 minutes a game. Teacher’s pet of Wes. Book it…and at the expense of Davis and Kispert mainly.

I sincerely hope I am wrong…
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#391 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 1, 2022 3:09 am

Most probably the rotation now:

PG: Morris/Wright
SG: Beal/Davis
SF: Barton/Kispert
PF: Kuzma/Avdija/Hachimura/Gill/Todd
C: Porzingis/Gafford
Menace2Sobriety
Sophomore
And1: 78

Post#392 » by Menace2Sobriety » Fri Jul 1, 2022 3:19 am

I mentioned in another thread, I’d like to see Deni start at SF with time at PF. What are the chances of that?

Consolidation trade at PF seems the natural next step.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#393 » by NatP4 » Fri Jul 1, 2022 3:22 am

FAH1223 wrote:Most probably the rotation now:

Kuzma+Barton for Collins would be absolutely perfect. Although I still don’t think that was a real rumor. Fun to dream:

Morris 28 Wright 20
Beal 32 Davis 16
Avdija 28 Kispert 20
Collins 30 Rui 18
Porzingis 28 Gafford 20
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#394 » by tleikheen » Fri Jul 1, 2022 7:57 am

Barton is too slender and is not moving from SG/Denver to SF/ Wiz. The threesome of Morris-Beal-Barton would be very small by NBA standards .
Just like the Denver fans ,it wouldnt take long for Wiz fans to find out why most Denver fans are glad he's gone .
Morris moves into a starters role not by his play ( a career backup PG) but because of injury or in the Wizzes case ,no other playable PG on the team.

PG) Morris ,Johnny D,Wright
SG) Beal , Barton,Kispert
SF) Kuzma,Avidja,Kispert
PF) Hachimura,Avidja
C) Porzingus, Gafford

Id like to see Barton moved and the bench being

Johnny Davis,Deni Avidja,Corey Kispert, Daniel Gafford the bench squad
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#395 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jul 1, 2022 8:16 am

tleikheen wrote:PG: Morris/Wright

Barton is too slender and is not moving from SG/Denver to SF/ Wiz. The threesome of Morris-Beal-Barton would be very small by NBA standards .
Just like the Denver fans ,it wouldnt take long for Wiz fans to find out why most Denver fans are glad he's gone .
Morris moves into a starters role not by his play ( a career backup PG) but because of injury or in the Wizzes case ,no other playable PG on the team.

PG) Morris ,Johnny D,Wright
SG) Beal , Barton,Kispert
SF) Kuzma,Avidja,Kispert
PF) Hachimura,Avidja
C) Porzingus, Gafford

Id like to see Barton moved and the bench being

Johnny Davis,Deni Avidja,Corey Kispert, Daniel Gafford the bench squad

Troy Haliburton says here he believes Rui and Kuz are starting

SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#396 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Fri Jul 1, 2022 2:35 pm

I’m liking the size and versatility of a front 5 with

Porzingis, Rui, Kuz, Beal, Morris

2nd unit

Gafford, Deni, Barton, Davis, Wright

Rest of bench

Carey, Gill, Todd, Kispert, Dunn

I like the D of the 2nd unit with Barton & Davis to score... of course all of this is maneuverable based on matchups etc
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#397 » by Frichuela » Fri Jul 1, 2022 2:53 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I’m liking the size and versatility of a front 5 with

2nd unit

Rest of bench

I like the D of the 2nd unit with Barton & Davis to score... of course all of this is maneuverable based on matchups etc

Yes, the issue is that one of Davis or Kispert is going to be squeezed out of the rotation, because trust me: Wes is gonna play Barton a lot of minutes.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#398 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Jul 1, 2022 2:55 pm

NatP4 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:Most probably the rotation now:

Kuzma+Barton for Collins would be absolutely perfect. Although I still don’t think that was a real rumor. Fun to dream:

Morris 28 Wright 20
Beal 32 Davis 16
Avdija 28 Kispert 20
Collins 30 Rui 18
Porzingis 28 Gafford 20

That's a decent, balanced lineup.

Does anyone think that the expirings of Kuz and Barton would be enough to pry Collins from the Hawks? Are they desperate to offload him?
In Rizzo we trust
NatP4
RealGM

Post#399 » by NatP4 » Fri Jul 1, 2022 3:32 pm

I don’t even think the report is real. It was just some Kings reporter. Atlanta is probably trying to get a better offer from SAC. Mayo says the wiz have been interested for awhile, but that is Q Mayo.

I would assume it would take atleast a future 1st and/or Deni or Kispert.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#400 » by NatP4 » Fri Jul 1, 2022 3:34 pm

Frichuela wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I’m liking the size and versatility of a front 5 with

2nd unit

Rest of bench

Yes, the issue is that one of Davis or Kispert is going to be squeezed out of the rotation, because trust me: Wes is gonna play Barton a lot of minutes.

Agreed. If we don’t move Barton, he will basically be the new Kuzma: guy that doesn’t help you win at all but plays over 2000 minutes. Now we would have two of those guys.

Also prepare yourself for lots of 3 guard lineups with Morris/Wright/Beal and not much PT of Davis.

Return to Washington Wizards