ImageImageImageImageImage

Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Re: Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread. 

Post#341 » by NatP4 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:07 am

Yeah Todd seems like one of the classic tweener forwards that lacks a certain level of upside because he doesn’t understand team defense/protecting the rim/rebounding.

Probably more exciting as a wing/3 prospect.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#342 » by NatP4 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:11 am

While we’re on the subject, Joel Ayayi looks like a serious player in the g-league.

14.8 points 7.7 assists 6.7 rebounds 68.5% TS.

Reminds me of a combination of KCP/Josh Hart. Can guard 1-3, plays on or off the ball, stuffs the stat sheet. Highly efficient.

Wiz hit a home run with this pickup. Hopefully we move on from Holiday soon and give Ayayi a shot.
leswizards
Pro Prospect
And1: 212

Post#343 » by leswizards » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:42 pm

Gill has only played limited minutes in his career, and they have been pretty much all garbage minutes, but his advanced statistics in those limited minutes are enough for me to wish that he got off the bench more. It is not like any of the Wizards forwards are doing so great that he shouldn’t merit at least a look.

And now on to beating a dead horse: with the Wizards getting limited production from their forwards, I am desperate to see Trez and Gafford on the court at the same time for 12 minutes a game against the opposing teams back up power forward to see if one them can produce as a power forward.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#344 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:29 pm

With Kispert stepping up, and Rui on the verge of returning, I see no reason to continue with Bertans. If we can get a taker for him and get back an expiring we can buy out I'd be all for it. At this point he's weighing down the whole team. I'd rather use his roster spot on Ayayi.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#345 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 7:12 pm

Wes needs to shorten the rotation to 9

Can’t play 12 guys
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#346 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jan 8, 2022 9:40 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Wes needs to shorten the rotation to 9

Can’t play 12 guys

Fully healthy I see a main 8 of Dinwiddie, Beal, KCP, Deni, Kuz, Rui, Trez, Gafford.

Ideally, I see a generic rotation as follows...

Starting:
Dinwiddie, Beal
Kuz, Rui
Gafford

6 min subs:
Beal, KCP
Deni, Kuz
Trez

2nd Q:
Dinwiddie, KCP
Deni, Rui
Trez

6 min:
Dinwiddie, Beal
Kuz, Rui
Gafford

Repeat 2nd Half

This breaks down 36 min Dinwiddie, Beal, Kuz, Rui. 24 min KCP, Deni, Trez, Gafford.

This leaves an "extended bench" of Holiday, Neto, Kispert, Bertans, Gil, Bryant to pool from on an as-need basis to fill in for skill set (ex Bertans for added 3pt shooting), depth, fouls, health/injury, rest, etc.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#347 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jan 9, 2022 1:54 am

Read on Twitter
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#348 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:13 pm

So.. 10 man rotation?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#349 » by penbeast0 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:30 pm

If we are going to try to build around Beal (and God willing, NOT as a supermax though he probably deserves a regular max deal in this environment), I would like to see us build around Beal and Harrell. He's the only other player that regularly gets the better of his opposing player and while he has weaknesses, he has impressive strengths as well. This offseason, we resign Montrezl and reconfigure the team to fit around his (and Beal's) abilities. That means getting rid of some of the excess PFs as Harrell would be the main big and seeing if he can play with Bryant and/or Gafford next to him. By the raw numbers, Harrell is one of the best scorers in the league with a rare combination of efficiency and volume. Give him a chance to see if he can do it as a full time starter and be Mr. Inside to Beal's Mr. Outside.

Of course, if we can get a big offer for Beal and choose to go full Hinkie, then he's just going to keep us from being bad enough to make it work and we have to move on. This is contingent on our keeping Beal and trying to compete.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#350 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:04 am

Wes just got hired and they're not going to fire him any time soon. He should just play who he wants instead of this ridiculous 10-11 man rotation.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#351 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:08 am

penbeast0 wrote:If we are going to try to build around Beal (and God willing, NOT as a supermax though he probably deserves a regular max deal in this environment), I would like to see us build around Beal and Harrell. He's the only other player that regularly gets the better of his opposing player and while he has weaknesses, he has impressive strengths as well. This offseason, we resign Montrezl and reconfigure the team to fit around his (and Beal's) abilities. That means getting rid of some of the excess PFs as Harrell would be the main big and seeing if he can play with Bryant and/or Gafford next to him. By the raw numbers, Harrell is one of the best scorers in the league with a rare combination of efficiency and volume. Give him a chance to see if he can do it as a full time starter and be Mr. Inside to Beal's Mr. Outside.

Of course, if we can get a big offer for Beal and choose to go full Hinkie, then he's just going to keep us from being bad enough to make it work and we have to move on. This is contingent on our keeping Beal and trying to compete.

Harrell is a good player. But he’s undersized, doesn’t set screens well and gets absolutely shredded on the PNR. He also doesn’t space the floor.

The front office loves Thomas Bryant. Cause of his shooting, screening and he’s younger.
penbeast0

Post#352 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:39 am

And Bryant can be a good player but there's no signs he might be dominant. Trez has big weaknesses that you will have to build around but he is at times dominant. The question is can they play together . . . is the interior defense hole too big and is Harrell's needed to play close to the basket taking away enough of Bryant's game to make him less effective than he needs to be to start. Similar offensive questions with Gafford and Harrell except then neither spaces the floor or sets picks well which Bryant can do but Gafford looks like he can provide NBA defense.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
penbeast0

Post#353 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:41 am

Seriously I don't see this lineup ever being all that competitive but if these are the main cogs you have going forward, Harrell to me looks like the only potential second offensive star next to Beal. The rest appear to top out at role player.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#354 » by DCZards » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:53 am

penbeast0 wrote:Seriously I don't see this lineup ever being all that competitive but if these are the main cogs you have going forward, Harrell to me looks like the only potential second offensive star next to Beal. The rest appear to top out at role player.

I don’t see Trez as ever being a second (or even third or fourth) offensive star. Love Harrell’s energy and what he does bring, but I think Rui, Deni, Kispert and Bryant all have more offensive upside.
penbeast0

Post#355 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:31 pm

Harrell has 5 consecutive years scoring north of 20 pp36 with true shooting percentages well into the .600 range. I see almost no chance of any of the players you mention approaching those numbers though Bryant is as efficient.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,351

Post#356 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:09 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Harrell has 5 consecutive years scoring north of 20 pp36 with true shooting percentages well into the .600 range. I see almost no chance of any of the players you mention approaching those numbers though Bryant is as efficient.

Harrell does his damage against weaker and/or less experienced backup centers. His production doesn't hold up against full sized starters. Look at his on/off numbers with the starting unit:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/harremo01/lineups/2022

Harrell is what he is. He's a great instant offense backup center who can help sustain a team in the regular season by dominating weaker second units. But he is absolutely not a true #1 or #2 option against starters. He never has been.

That doesn't make him a bad player. He's a very good player. But he will not look good if we put him in the role you are suggesting.
Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Post#357 » by Dolevi » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:45 pm

Harrell can't lock down the paint for you like Gafford can. As been said here, he's undersized and i wouldn't built around him. It's a problem in D with all due respect for his explosiveness and domination in O, I do love him though, but it's a miss-match in the paint i think against every team in the NBA (tell me if not). Anyway, great guy, i'm a fan.
penbeast0

Post#358 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:47 pm

Mybe not, but I don't see the Wiz's other options. I don't think Kuzma, Rui, Bertans, etc. have much of a chance of developing into 1st or 2nd option impact players, I could be wrong. I think Harrell, if you build the offense around his skills and those of Beal, could. It certainly might won't work, our centers don't necessarily fit with him, and I might vote for a full Hinkie if that was an option but building the team around Beal with Kuzma or Rui as a second option (or anyone else other than Harrell) I would say is an even longer shot.

And, again, I see him as a 4, not a 5. I think you would need to work out an offense that could work with him playing with Gafford or Bryant at center. So, he's not locking down the paint, he's guarding the opposing 4.
penbeast0

Post#359 » by penbeast0 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:42 pm

I haven't had a huge problem with Gafford's limited minutes (assuming we are trying to win and not tanking) given that the team's only other player who could play center was Harrell and while Gafford has been one of the main rays of hope on this team, Harrell has been the best player (Gafford second). But, if you want to work Bryant into the rotation, don't bench one of the few guys that plays efficiently and with energy. Play Bryant with Harrell, at least to try it out, bring Kuzma off the bench. Kuzma has been better than I thought but other then Beal, the next 3 best players on the team should be Harrell, Bryant, and Gafford . . . find a way to get them on the floor. You don't need to copy the GS 4 out offense if your personnel doesn't fit it; use the schemes we used for the first 60 years of the league with two real big men. At least give it a try.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,351

Post#360 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:49 pm

penbeast0 wrote:You don't need to copy the GS 4 out offense if your personnel doesn't fit it; use the schemes we used for the first 60 years of the league with two real big men. At least give it a try.

The rules during the first 60 years of the league were different. That's why everyone plays 4-out or 5-out now.

That said, I do think Harrell and Bryant could co-exist on offense with Bryant working around the top of the key in the high post and Harrell down low (sort of how Cleveland makes it work with Mobley and Allen). The real problem is on defense. Neither of those guys can guard 4's. And frankly, neither are very good defensively as rim-protecting 5's either.

Return to Washington Wizards