ImageImageImageImageImage

Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Re: Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread. 

Post#1961 » by payitforward » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:02 pm

NatP4 wrote:Rollins is a non prospect that puts up empty stats. GS gave him and Baldwin away for a reason.

Why would you write something like that?

Johnny Davis is playing better this year than last. Are his numbers also "empty stats?"

Eugene Omoruyi has played about the same # of minutes as Rollins, & like Rollins he's put up excellent numbers. Are his stats "empty" too?

Everyone deserves a chance, & Rollins has done a terrific job in the minutes he's been on the floor. A small sample size of course, but that doesn't affect how productive he's been.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,975

Post#1962 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:12 pm

I’m fine with Bilal coming off the bench…as long he continues to get big minutes and a prominent role down the stretch of tight games. I also want to give Poole a little more time to possibly get his act together.

I also want to see both Davis and Rollins get consistent, quality minutes. Rollins may actually be the second-best true PG on the Zards now that Delon is out.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#1963 » by DCZards » Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:49 pm

Dub post
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1964 » by tontoz » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:42 am

Poole is practically forcing the team to bench him.

I watched GS a fair amount the last two years and was pissed when we traded for him. I knew he was a low IQ player.

I didn't think he would be this bad though.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#1965 » by doclinkin » Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:56 am

BCool has shot well enough that I'd be okay starting him and sending Poole to the bench. Seems to me we'd instantly have an upgraded defense, and therefore fewer demoralizing blow-out quarters. Our bench would REALLY suck on D, especially with Wright out, but we can live with it as we playtest 2nd line combinations to see if we have anything in the rest of the youth movement.

Mostly I'd love to see chemistry develop in the core of Deni, Bilal, Kuz. Aside from those 3 I don't see other players on the roster that the team is sure to build around long term. Maybe Kispert if he can recover some of his prior efficiency. Everyone else is a placeholder for a talent upgrade.

OK we traded for Poole as a gamble on a devalued asset, hoping he might mature with a starring role, but he was what was available as a consequence of the Beal trade. Not proving to be a core player right now. Whereas Cool Kuz Avdija are the 3 players the front office selected and signed for the next few years. This is the framework around which the team will add all those draft picks we picked up. Might as well allow that crew to learn each others' games and build intuitive timing etc. so they can help carry the next wave of rookies as we input talent around them.

If a young cat like Johnny D or Rollins or Baldwin happens to force the issue and earn added minutes, awesome. Likewise if Poole recovers his value. But if not, no big deal, I don't see that this front office is trying to feature them as our foundation and future. We need upgrades at lead guard and defensive Big. Those guys are not on the roster yet. We can tank around that core and keep scouting for draft prospects.

The only other issue is showcasing the productive vets for midseason trades. But given how poorly the team has performed, there's unlikely to be a robust trade market for anybody on the squad. Play the core, let the bench battle for scraps.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,322

Post#1966 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:41 am

pcbothwel wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
bsilver wrote:We don't know why Rollins was included in the trade.
Garbage time stats are generally meaningless, as is the "empty stats" comment.
What's your solution at guard?

Rollins has a large sample size of mediocrity in the g-league and summer league and at Toledo. He’s never been a positive impact guy. He plays with tunnel vision on O and makes no one better around him and gives zero effort on defense.

We don’t need a “solution” at guard, we need to give opportunities to promising young players. In my opinion, that’s guys like Jared Butler and Johnny Davis, not Rollins.

Rollins and Butler had almost identical stats in the G-League last year. In college, he averaged a per36 of 21/6/4 with a TS of 57% on 29% usage... Nothing "Mediocre" about that for 19 y/o.
While I dont see a consistent/locked in defender, I see a guy that collects steals and rebounds and appears to show IQ.
To me, his profile as an undersized combo guard that profiles to shoot better from 3 (80% FT shooter on high volume).

I see a Maxey/Rozier type and think that upside is worth riding out.

Meh, upside worth riding out maybe, but I think he’s more of a career g league guy. His on/off numbers in the g-league were bad, he looked awful to me in the summer league. The college numbers were wildly mediocre as a 20 year old playing against poor competition.

Subpar playmaking, subpar floor spacing/3pt shooting volume, subpar defense. I’m significantly higher on Jared Butler and would rather invest in his development if it were up to me.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#1967 » by DCZards » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:12 pm

NatP4 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Rollins has a large sample size of mediocrity in the g-league and summer league and at Toledo. He’s never been a positive impact guy. He plays with tunnel vision on O and makes no one better around him and gives zero effort on defense.

We don’t need a “solution” at guard, we need to give opportunities to promising young players. In my opinion, that’s guys like Jared Butler and Johnny Davis, not Rollins.

Rollins and Butler had almost identical stats in the G-League last year. In college, he averaged a per36 of 21/6/4 with a TS of 57% on 29% usage... Nothing "Mediocre" about that for 19 y/o.
While I dont see a consistent/locked in defender, I see a guy that collects steals and rebounds and appears to show IQ.
To me, his profile as an undersized combo guard that profiles to shoot better from 3 (80% FT shooter on high volume).

I see a Maxey/Rozier type and think that upside is worth riding out.

Meh, upside worth riding out maybe, but I think he’s more of a career g league guy. His on/off numbers in the g-league were bad, he looked awful to me in the summer league. The college numbers were wildly mediocre as a 20 year old playing against poor competition.

Subpar playmaking, subpar floor spacing/3pt shooting volume, subpar defense. I’m significantly higher on Jared Butler and would rather invest in his development if it were up to me.

Agree with you on Butler. He may have as much, or more, upside as Rollins. But I wouldn’t be so quick to give up on Rollins’ potential. He did struggle some in SL but his assist and steal #s were very good…among the best on the team.

Also want to see Johnny D get more PT. I don’t think he’s a future PG like Rollins or Butler but he has the defensive chops and IQ to be a difference maker on D…and as an above average rebounder for a guard.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1968 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:19 pm

It just blows my mind that this is even a discussion right now. This is a 2-10 team with no shot at making the playoffs much less winning a championship, totally rebuilding, and last night, WUJ shrunk down to an 8 man rotation, one of the 8 being 35 year old Danilo Gallinari. Our top 10 draft pick from last year is just collecting DNPs.

It’s just silly.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#1969 » by dckingsfan » Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:55 pm

nate33 wrote:So, something like this:

PG Tyus 28, Butler 16*, Poole 4
SG Kispert 12, Poole 20, Davis 16
SF Avdija 10, Coulibaly 26, Kispert 12
PF Kuzma 30, Avdija 18
C Gafford 26, Muscala 18**

*I would alternate Butler with Rollins on a week by week basis. Let Butler get 5 games in a row as the primary backup while Rollins rides the bench; and then switch them. Give them both opportunities and see who rises to the top.

** I would play either Muscala or Gallo in the backup center role depending on the matchup. Generally, I wouldn't play them both in the same game unless foul trouble required it.

I think I am with TGW on this one. I would like to see Tyus, Coulibaly, Avdija, Kuzma and Gafford start. What would be your rotational minutes in this case?

I like your thoughts on center. Rotating Muscala and Gallo on a nightly basis as the backup C. I see no reason not to do the same with Butler and Rollins. And yeah, Davis has to get some run - not sure our coach is the right one for a rebuild and developing the youngsters (rhetorical)?
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1970 » by tontoz » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:35 pm

Just two years ago Poole averaged 18 ppg with a TS of 60%. He actually led the league in FT%.

Looks like Draymond hit him so hard he forgot how to shoot.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#1971 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:05 pm

NatP4 wrote:It just blows my mind that this is even a discussion right now. This is a 2-10 team with no shot at making the playoffs much less winning a championship, totally rebuilding, and last night, WUJ shrunk down to an 8 man rotation, one of the 8 being 35 year old Danilo Gallinari. Our top 10 draft pick from last year is just collecting DNPs.

It’s just silly.

You are right that the younger guys need to play, but it was a 9-man rotation, not 8. Kispert, Coulibaly, Shamet, and Gallo came off the bench.

And in Wes’ defense, there aren’t any young alternatives to play center. It’s either Gallo or Muscala. (PBJ is unplayable.)
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1972 » by NatP4 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:55 pm

Shamet played 7 minutes. Muscala played 7 minutes in the previous game.

He’s basically playing 8 guys
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#1973 » by mhd » Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:15 pm

Either Davis just blows in practice, the Wizards new FO just has no faith in him and isn't pushing for him to get PT, or Wes just hates him and has no faith in him. I know I'm the resident Davis hater, but there has to be something as to why he isn't getting any PT.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1974 » by dckingsfan » Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:26 pm

mhd wrote:Either Davis just blows in practice, the Wizards new FO just has no faith in him and isn't pushing for him to get PT, or Wes just hates him and has no faith in him. I know I'm the resident Davis hater, but there has to be something as to why he isn't getting any PT.

I think that Davis also has some nagging injuries? I think it was an elbow sprain that he from October.

But yes to the Wes doesn't like playing youngsters and is trying to win now. Let's see how that works out for him...
DCZards
RealGM

Post#1975 » by DCZards » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:32 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
mhd wrote:Either Davis just blows in practice, the Wizards new FO just has no faith in him and isn't pushing for him to get PT, or Wes just hates him and has no faith in him. I know I'm the resident Davis hater, but there has to be something as to why he isn't getting any PT.

I think that Davis also has some nagging injuries? I think it was an elbow sprain that he from October.

But yes to the Wes doesn't like playing youngsters and is trying to win now. Let's see how that works out for him...

I don’t think Wes is focused on winning now. This is not last season.

Wes is playing Bilal big mins. He’s a youngster. In fact, he’s the second or third youngest player in the NBA.

The only other Zards youngster who should be getting regular minutes, imo, is Davis and he’s had a nagging injury that has had him in and out of uniform these first few weeks of the season.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1976 » by dckingsfan » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:06 am

DCZards wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

I don’t think Wes is focused on winning now. This is not last season.

Wes is playing Bilal big mins. He’s a youngster. In fact, he’s the second or third youngest player in the NBA.

The only other Zards youngster who should be getting regular minutes, imo, is Davis and he’s had a nagging injury that has had him in and out of uniform these first few weeks of the season.

I do think that he came out at the beginning of the season trying to win, but these are just opinions - your opinion is as good as mine.

Historically he has always favored veterans and I think to the detriment of the younger players. Again, an opinion.

But this season he has shied away from playing the younger players other than Bilal. And that to me makes no sense especially since we have lost big in many games. In those games, players like Baldwin and Rollins should get more than 3 or 5 minutes, unless he is trying to show that the Wizards are competitive or he is trying to pull out a win or two. Again an opinion.

Play the young guys during the tank. Let's see what we have... (yet another opinion).
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#1977 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:22 am

When the ball goes up & the game starts of course you "try to win." What kind of game is it, what kind of sport is it, if both teams are not trying to win?

Should the players dog it? Obviously not.
Should the coaching staff do its best to put the players in a position to do their best? Of course they should!

Nor are "player development" & "trying to win" at odds with each other!
You "develop" (get better, both move towards your potential & increase your potential) by learning to play better. & the better your team plays the more games you win.

"Rebuilding" is something done by the Front Office -- not by the players & not by the coaches.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,448

Post#1978 » by mhd » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:45 pm

payitforward wrote:When the ball goes up & the game starts of course you "try to win." What kind of game is it, what kind of sport is it, if both teams are not trying to win?

Should the players dog it? Obviously not.
Should the coaching staff do its best to put the players in a position to do their best? Of course they should!

Nor are "player development" & "trying to win" at odds with each other!
You "develop" (get better, both move towards your potential & increase your potential) by learning to play better. & the better your team plays the more games you win.

"Rebuilding" is something done by the Front Office -- not by the players & not by the coaches.

If Davis was showing out like Bilal is, then he'd be getting PT. Bilal easily passes the eye test. Davis must be just sucking in practice or something.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1979 » by dckingsfan » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:37 pm

mhd wrote:If Davis was showing out like Bilal is, then he'd be getting PT. Bilal easily passes the eye test. Davis must be just sucking in practice or something.

Davis has an elbow injury.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,359

Post#1980 » by nate33 » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:59 pm

Thread continued here

Return to Washington Wizards