ImageImageImageImageImage

Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,360

Re: Line-ups, rotation, analysis thread. 

Post#321 » by nate33 » Mon Dec 6, 2021 2:17 pm

KL78192020 wrote:when is Rui coming back

2-3 weeks.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,971

Post#322 » by FAH1223 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 3:47 am

Read on Twitter
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#323 » by gambitx777 » Thu Dec 9, 2021 11:23 am

Can Trez be effect at a lower usage. That's the issue his minutes have dropped and his production is going down too. Is he just. Coming back down to earth? Would it be wise to move him now whole he has some positive value. ?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
youngWizzy
Rookie
And1: 481

Post#324 » by youngWizzy » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:14 am

Read on Twitter
Twitter: @youngwizzydfs
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#325 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:39 pm

Both Gafford and Harrell have terrific ORTG and DRTG ratings; Gafford 126 vs 103 and Harrell 134 vs 108. Beal is 102 vs 112.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#326 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:46 pm

DRtg is a totally useless stat, except perhaps for looking at centers. It is so dependent on team performance, and non-centers often have very little to do with team defensive performance. Nemanja Bjelica, at age 32, had a DRtg of 119 with Sacramento, but now in Golden State, at age 34, he is the 2nd best defensive player in the league with a DRtg of 97. Any stat that fluctuates like that has no meaning.

Literally every player on the Golden State Warriors, including guys like Curry, Juan Toscano-Anderson and Jordan Poole, rank as far better defenders than Bam Adebayo, Mikal Bridges and OG Anunoby.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#327 » by Ruzious » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:59 pm

nate33 wrote:DRtg is a totally useless stat, except perhaps for looking at centers. It is so dependent on team performance, and non-centers often have very little to do with team defensive performance. Nemanja Bjelica, at age 32, had a DRtg of 119 with Sacramento, but now in Golden State, at age 34, he is the 2nd best defensive player in the league with a DRtg of 97. Any stat that fluctuates like that has no meaning.

Literally every player on the Golden State Warriors, including guys like Curry, Juan Toscano-Anderson and Jordan Poole, rank as far better defenders than Bam Adebayo, Mikal Bridges and OG Anunoby.

I mostly agree - which is why I wasn't comparing them to players on other teams, and my point was showing the difference between the DRTG and ORTG for the players I mentioned - responding to the tweat in the previous post.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#328 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:DRtg is a totally useless stat, except perhaps for looking at centers. It is so dependent on team performance, and non-centers often have very little to do with team defensive performance. Nemanja Bjelica, at age 32, had a DRtg of 119 with Sacramento, but now in Golden State, at age 34, he is the 2nd best defensive player in the league with a DRtg of 97. Any stat that fluctuates like that has no meaning.

I mostly agree - which is why I wasn't comparing them to players on other teams, and my point was showing the difference between the DRTG and ORTG for the players I mentioned - responding to the tweat in the previous post.

Sorry if my post came off as attacking you. Didn't mean it that way.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#329 » by tontoz » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:19 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Can Trez be effect at a lower usage. That's the issue his minutes have dropped and his production is going down too. Is he just. Coming back down to earth? Would it be wise to move him now whole he has some positive value. ?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

I would think he is becoming more of a focus for the scouts/coaches of opposing teams.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,025

Post#330 » by dckingsfan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:45 pm

youngWizzy wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think there is something there... not exactly sure what.

Possibly Kuzma/Harrell and Avidja/Gafford could be better fits?

Or the Dinwiddie/Beal/KCP/Kuzma/Gafford lineup isn't all that for whatever reason?

I don't see Wes changing his rotations much yet. There are some adjustments but he seems to be making in game but doesn't seem to be changing up the pairings that much (except due to foul trouble, injuries, etc.).
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,977

Post#331 » by DCZards » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:59 pm

I’d expect Wes to give his lineups and rotations a chance to gel (or not) before making any moves. Four of the 5 starters weren’t even with the Zards at this point last season.

My biggest concern is the Beal-Dinwiddie chemistry. Not seeing anything close to what I expected…hopefully that changes.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#332 » by nate33 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:31 pm

dckingsfan wrote:I think there is something there... not exactly sure what.

Or the Dinwiddie/Beal/KCP/Kuzma/Gafford lineup isn't all that for whatever reason?

I don't see Wes changing his rotations much yet. There are some adjustments but he seems to be making in game but doesn't seem to be changing up the pairings that much (except due to foul trouble, injuries, etc.).

I'm not really sure there is anything to this but random noise.

The only real synergy I see out there is that Avdija and Harrell work well together because Avdija's low-usage offensive mindset and excellent help defense match up perfectly with Harrell's aggressive offensive mindset and mediocre defense. Other than that, no other combination seems particularly ideal in some intrinsic manner.

One other thing that sticks out to me is that Aaron Holiday seems better as a starter. He's one of the few guys who shows up in the first quarter with high energy, aggressively driving to the lane. If Dinwiddie doesn't start picking up his aggressiveness, it might be worth starting Holiday. (I'd still try and give Dinwiddie starter's minutes though. He is the better overall player.) It's worth noting that Holiday's net rating is massively positive when alongside Beal (+9.8) and woefully negative when not (-7.9), so by starting him, we would presumably be getting the best out of him. The sample sizes are really small though.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,323

Post#333 » by NatP4 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:30 am

Isaiah Todd is shooting the ball really well in the g-league. He might be a decent prospect after all
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#334 » by dckingsfan » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:37 am

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:I think there is something there... not exactly sure what.

I'm not really sure there is anything to this but random noise.

The only real synergy I see out there is that Avdija and Harrell work well together because Avdija's low-usage offensive mindset and excellent help defense match up perfectly with Harrell's aggressive offensive mindset and mediocre defense. Other than that, no other combination seems particularly ideal in some intrinsic manner.

One other thing that sticks out to me is that Aaron Holiday seems better as a starter. He's one of the few guys who shows up in the first quarter with high energy, aggressively driving to the lane. If Dinwiddie doesn't start picking up his aggressiveness, it might be worth starting Holiday. (I'd still try and give Dinwiddie starter's minutes though. He is the better overall player.) It's worth noting that Holiday's net rating is massively positive when alongside Beal (+9.8) and woefully negative when not (-7.9), so by starting him, we would presumably be getting the best out of him. The sample sizes are really small though.

Yep, could very well be.

And maybe they will work it out but Dinwiddie/Beal isn't all that. But Holiday hasn't been that solid. Not many good choices for Wes.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,323

Post#335 » by NatP4 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:43 am

The most obvious adjustment in the world is to start Avdija at the 4 and make Kuzma an 18-20 minute rotation player instead of the main f’ing event. Aaron Holiday simply isn’t a NBA player. He should be a 3rd string PG that only plays when injuries occur. Just play your 15th overall pick in that spot.

I’m really not sure if Wes Unseld is anything more than an average coach. At this point, I’m pretty bored with this team. They look a 45 win 2nd round exit with little to no upside and a mediocre coach. I’m starting to think trading Beal and giving guys like Todd, Kispert, and Ayayi more opportunities would be a far more appealing direction.
Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Post#336 » by Dolevi » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:40 pm

I heard Kuzma is in quarantine. Maybe it's a good idea to try Deni with Harrell in the starting line-up?
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#337 » by dckingsfan » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:00 pm

Dolevi wrote:I heard Kuzma is in quarantine. Maybe it's a good idea to try Deni with Harrell in the starting line-up?

Well certainly start Deni - I guess we will see where Wes' mindset is at. With Deni/KCP on the floor, it seems like Harrell would be the best option unless you want to start with your best defensive lineup.

I am giving Wes a pass for the first half of the season given that he is a rookie coach - maybe I shouldn't do that...

But if the starting lineup with Deni works and he goes back to Kuz :nonono:
Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Post#338 » by Dolevi » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:57 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Dolevi wrote:I heard Kuzma is in quarantine. Maybe it's a good idea to try Deni with Harrell in the starting line-up?

Well certainly start Deni - I guess we will see where Wes' mindset is at. With Deni/KCP on the floor, it seems like Harrell would be the best option unless you want to start with your best defensive lineup.

I am giving Wes a pass for the first half of the season given that he is a rookie coach - maybe I shouldn't do that...

But if the starting lineup with Deni works and he goes back to Kuz :nonono:

Lol
This is a Scott Brooks's move :)
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#339 » by tontoz » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:40 pm

NatP4 wrote:Isaiah Todd is shooting the ball really well in the g-league. He might be a decent prospect after all

Looking at his highlights he looks like a 3 to me. He likes the one foot thing.

"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#340 » by doclinkin » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:22 pm

tontoz wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Isaiah Todd is shooting the ball really well in the g-league. He might be a decent prospect after all

Looking at his highlights he looks like a 3 to me. ]

Showing NBA range from outside. Deep from above the elbow extended on that 3rd shot.

Definitely playing outside on offense, and still looking a bit inactive or lost on defense. Ballwatching, no boxing out, etc.

Return to Washington Wizards