ImageImageImageImageImage

Training Camp & Preseason

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Re: Training Camp & Preseason 

Post#41 » by Dat2U » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:20 am

dlts20 wrote:How come you guys aren't talking about Beal enough? This is the 1st time I have thought about trading him. I respect everyone's decision on the vaccine but if the league is going to have policies in place this year and in the future, when do you consider trading some of these guys? What if we have a good season but have to play Toronto or the New York teams in the playoffs? Automatic loss because he can't play on the road. MJ is not 6 for 6 if he couldn't play road games against the Knicks, etc.

The worse thing is I can tell by the way that he feels, if he had to get the shot, it would effect him mentally. He might think that he's sick or his arm feels funny even if it really doesn't. I just don't like the situation. It's too free flowing. Some cities you can play in and some you can't... Smh. If we are close to matching up with the NY teams or Toronto, we probably will have to tank to avoid them just because of that. We may have to tank to place a harder opponent.. Smh

As of now he can play in all 82 including NY or CA.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#42 » by dlts20 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:07 am

Dat2U wrote:
dlts20 wrote:How come you guys aren't talking about Beal enough? This is the 1st time I have thought about trading him. I respect everyone's decision on the vaccine but if the league is going to have policies in place this year and in the future, when do you consider trading some of these guys? What if we have a good season but have to play Toronto or the New York teams in the playoffs? Automatic loss because he can't play on the road. MJ is not 6 for 6 if he couldn't play road games against the Knicks, etc.

The worse thing is I can tell by the way that he feels, if he had to get the shot, it would effect him mentally. He might think that he's sick or his arm feels funny even if it really doesn't. I just don't like the situation. It's too free flowing. Some cities you can play in and some you can't... Smh. If we are close to matching up with the NY teams or Toronto, we probably will have to tank to avoid them just because of that. We may have to tank to place a harder opponent.. Smh

As of now he can play in all 82 including NY or CA.

Why is that. That's what I am not understanding. I thought the general board were saying that no one can play in those cities/states if not vaccinated? Does it only apply to the local teams
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#43 » by dlts20 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:11 am

Ok, I just read the rules and don't like it. Why will you not let your own guys play but you will allow a non vaccinated opponent? I just think that this is all too free flowing and giving teams advantages
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#44 » by Dat2U » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:36 pm

dlts20 wrote:Ok, I just read the rules and don't like it. Why will you not let your own guys play but you will allow a non vaccinated opponent? I just think that this is all too free flowing and giving teams advantages

The vax status of an out of state employee is outside their jurisdiction.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#45 » by prime1time » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:27 pm

Excited to see this team on the court. I like the depth we have and the implementation of a ball-movement-based offense. That combined with improved shooting can really bring dividends. No one expects a lot from us, but I am interested to see what we can do.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#46 » by doclinkin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:13 am

Training camp interviews:

Standout thoughts for me:

I liked Trez saying he was glad Holiday was on his team because he hated playing against him in Indy. That he was a full court pest. Called him a Pat Bev sort of player.

Davis is in shape. Healthy. Possibly the best health of his career, given that he has already had to deal with 2 ACLs and a calf injury but is now tuned up from rehab etc.

Kispert said training with 'maniac' Anthony Gill is helping his conditioning trying to keep up. Gill trains like a demon apparently.

Dinwiddie said some part of his job is to convince Brad to sign the supermax. By the team playing well of course. From 2:05 on him breaking down his role is satisfying. Will take pressure off Beal by taking on the 2nd best backcourt player defensively, with Pope taking on the primary attacker. 2:07:27 his nuanced breakdown of the personnel on the team is deeply satisfying.

Deni has been in DC all summer working on rehab and also on his game. Russ made him mentally tougher. In addition to building strength he was working on his ballhandling and his three point shot.

Gafford likewise has been in DC all summer, working on strength and conditioning, he admits he hasn't been in the best shape over his career. He also has been working on footwork in the paint, staying balanced, and adding a bit of a face-up game. All the things I wanted him to work on basically.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,876

Post#47 » by payitforward » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:54 am

prime1time wrote:Excited to see this team on the court. I like the depth we have and the implementation of a ball-movement-based offense. That combined with improved shooting can really bring dividends. No one expects a lot from us, but I am interested to see what we can do.

I feel the same way! Such a totally different style of team -- & with a brand new coach. It's pretty much the most significant set of changes I can recall from 1 season to the next. How can that not be exciting?

9 of our 15 players didn't play for us last year (I'm including Thomas Bryant).

As to the subtraction side of the equation, consider this: in every game Wizards players play 240 minutes. The guys who played 116 of those minutes (almost half of them!) last year are no longer with the team.

Of course, so much being new also means that there are a bunch of unknowns which, depending on how they turn out, might make a big difference in how good we are this year (& going forward).

& -- also "of course" -- there is a list of things Tommy didn't do that I hoped he would plus those he did do & that I wish he hadn't! But... that's true every year!! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#48 » by payitforward » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:14 pm

doclinkin wrote:Training camp interviews:

Standout thoughts for me:

I liked Trez saying he was glad Holiday was on his team because he hated playing against him in Indy. That he was a full court pest. Called him a Pat Bev sort of player.

Davis is in shape. Healthy. Possibly the best health of his career, given that he has already had to deal with 2 ACLs and a calf injury but is now tuned up from rehab etc.

Kispert said training with 'maniac' Anthony Gill is helping his conditioning trying to keep up. Gill trains like a demon apparently.

Dinwiddie said some part of his job is to convince Brad to sign the supermax. By the team playing well of course. From 2:05 on him breaking down his role is satisfying. Will take pressure off Beal by taking on the 2nd best backcourt player defensively, with Pope taking on the primary attacker. 2:07:27 his nuanced breakdown of the personnel on the team is deeply satisfying.

Deni has been in DC all summer working on rehab and also on his game. Russ made him mentally tougher. In addition to building strength he was working on his ballhandling and his three point shot.

Gafford likewise has been in DC all summer, working on strength and conditioning, he admits he hasn't been in the best shape over his career. He also has been working on footwork in the paint, staying balanced, and adding a bit of a face-up game. All the things I wanted him to work on basically.

Dinwiddie: "As long as Daniel Gafford is vaccinated, we have a fighting chance against every team in the league. I'm not just saying that because he's in the room."

This guy is funny!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#49 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:57 pm

That was a great line by Dinwiddie.

Gafford... get in shape!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#50 » by payitforward » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:02 pm

...Then after the funny bit, Spencer went on to some exceptionally thoughtful comments on a wide variety of subjects -- basketball, personal stuff, business, etc. Followed by Gafford, whom I hadn't heard talk much before now, & Bryant, about whom I can say the same.

I was kind of knocked out by these guys -- not just the 3 I just mentioned but pretty much the whole bunch of them. Thoughtful, articulate, focused... they absolutely knocked me out.

It's going to be a pleasure to root for this team.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#51 » by Kanyewest » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:09 pm

Dat2U wrote:
dlts20 wrote:Ok, I just read the rules and don't like it. Why will you not let your own guys play but you will allow a non vaccinated opponent? I just think that this is all too free flowing and giving teams advantages

So would Kyrie be able to play in San Francisco? Also, do NBA players technically earn money in that territory and pay taxes on that generated income or do they simply only pay taxes to their home state?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:28 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

So would Kyrie be able to play in San Francisco? Also, do NBA players technically earn money in that territory and pay taxes on that generated income or do they simply only pay taxes to their home state?

I think Kyrie would be able to play in CA, because he's not a CA employee.

As far as taxes, Yes, they have to pay taxes in the states they pay in - as long as those states tax non-residents. DC is out of luck, because they are not permitted to tax non-residents.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#53 » by doclinkin » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:23 pm

payitforward wrote:I was kind of knocked out by these guys -- not just the 3 I just mentioned but pretty much the whole bunch of them. Thoughtful, articulate, focused... they absolutely knocked me out.

Yeah. That is what has been in my sights. That if smarts and chemistry and team scheme can make the difference, this team might overachieve. Can BBIQ and hard work overcome outlier physical talent. What I said earlier in this thread:

doclinkin wrote:There is a chance that a smart coach and good chemistry can carry the team further than adding a single top talent. We have the pieces to cause pain on defense. Outside shooting + fouls drawn are a great equalizer. You can go on streaks if you get hot from outside, and you can slow the action if you can force them to foul you.

I get a good feeling about this squad. I get the sense that this is a team that on any night a different player will get hot, and because we don't rely on a single guy it makes it harder to scout the team.

Still, there are enough smart players on the team that a canny and insightful coach, who watches the stats and gameplans for his opponents, can get more juice from the squeeze than you might expect. There is a chance, a chance, that the team comes together really well.

This team truly feels like it is being built in Tommy's image. Hard working smart low-ego team-oriented guys who have been waiting their chance to be recognized. No prima donnas. Guys who truly seem to love the game more than the fame or high profile or lifestyle. If team play and scheme stand for anything, then once the team begins to gel and learn each other, we will surely surprise some teams who have greater talent but lesser understanding of the game.

If we had better rebounding I'd almost be cocky about our chances.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,322

Post#54 » by NatP4 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:00 pm

doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:I was kind of knocked out by these guys -- not just the 3 I just mentioned but pretty much the whole bunch of them. Thoughtful, articulate, focused... they absolutely knocked me out.

Yeah. That is what has been in my sights. That if smarts and chemistry and team scheme can make the difference, this team might overachieve. Can BBIQ and hard work overcome outlier physical talent. What I said earlier in this thread:

doclinkin wrote:There is a chance that a smart coach and good chemistry can carry the team further than adding a single top talent. We have the pieces to cause pain on defense. Outside shooting + fouls drawn are a great equalizer. You can go on streaks if you get hot from outside, and you can slow the action if you can force them to foul you.

I get a good feeling about this squad. I get the sense that this is a team that on any night a different player will get hot, and because we don't rely on a single guy it makes it harder to scout the team.

Still, there are enough smart players on the team that a canny and insightful coach, who watches the stats and gameplans for his opponents, can get more juice from the squeeze than you might expect. There is a chance, a chance, that the team comes together really well.

This team truly feels like it is being built in Tommy's image. Hard working smart low-ego team-oriented guys who have been waiting their chance to be recognized. No prima donnas. Guys who truly seem to love the game more than the fame or high profile or lifestyle. If team play and scheme stand for anything, then once the team begins to gel and learn each other, we will surely surprise some teams who have greater talent but lesser understanding of the game.

If we had better rebounding I'd almost be cocky about our chances.

Could not agree more. Unseld seems like a perfect fit for this particular culture/roster.

A ton of depth and high level effort+IQ+good coaching can lead to a ton of wins like those 50 win Hawks teams with Carrol/Korver/Milsap/Horford.

Love the structure of this team. 2 smart, unselfish, competitive lead guards, a ton of smart unselfish shooters on the wing, and a monster athletic rim protector. A great small ego, highly intelligent, Xs and Os-oriented head coach(complete opposite from Brooks).

I see a 48 win 3-5 seed that is highly enjoyable to root for and a tough 2nd round exit. The major swing factor is certainly Avdija.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,112

Post#55 » by J-Ves » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:07 pm

Kind of surprised there aren’t more people here up in arms about how terrible this training camp has started. It’s a solid indicator of how low our expectations are for this team despite what some might say.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#56 » by payitforward » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:23 pm

J-Ves wrote:Kind of surprised there aren’t more people here up in arms about how terrible this training camp has started. It’s a solid indicator of how low our expectations are for this team despite what some might say.

I don't follow this, J-Ves: what do you mean by "terrible"...? What's going wrong?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:27 pm

What to look for in alpha order:
Avdija - How much has he grown up - ready to fill a secondary distributor role, dependable open 3 point shooter, and solid defender?
Beal - SALY with a better 3 point shooting percentage?
Bertans - In shape?
Bryant - ready to play now or in "2 to 3 months"? Has he gotten quicker on defensive reactions?
KCP - really no questions about him. He's a pro who will consistently make 3's and play D.
Dinwiddie - Is he a jump shot away from being a big-time player? So... what's up with that J?
Gafford - How hard did he work in the offseason - both in his game and on his body?
Rui - How ya doing Rui? We love you.
Harrell - Did he expand his shooting range?
Holliday - Was Tommy right about him?
Kispert - Too uni-dimensional?
Kuzma - Is his talent level overrated, and is he ready to be a team player?
Neto - No questions. He is what he is. Just don't match him up against forwards.
Unseld - Will he get the team to buy in on D and on everyone eating on O?
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 899

Post#58 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:12 pm

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#59 » by Frichuela » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:41 pm

Music to my ears..so glad the Scotty era is over. 5 years of suffering his coaching or lack of thereof..

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Ruzious » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:27 am

Sounds like the big focus so far has been DEFENSE. Honestly, Wes Jr is doing his Dad proud. Heck, I'm proud of him.

Return to Washington Wizards