ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread - Part XLII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XLII 

Post#1041 » by Frichuela » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:37 pm

Following the news that Derrick Jones Jr of the Bulls is expected to miss up to 6 weeks with a knee injury, it's likely the Bulls are going to be desperate for a trade to beef up their depleted front court.

If we want to keep Kuzma, how about a Harrell+Rui for D Jones Jr+Coby White + POR 2022 1st (Lottery protected). This should be followed by trading Neto somewhere (Cleveland?) for a bag of peanuts..

The Bulls get two players to boost their front court and the Wiz get a reliable third guard who is a 3 pt sniper + POR 1st.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#1042 » by NatP4 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:43 pm

I’m like 99% sure that Beal actually thinks he’s a superstar worth 50 million. He also probably thinks that we are one Rui or Deni leap away from contending or something. He’s all over the place. Beginning of the year this was “finally the roster I’ve been waiting for” then we lose a few games and 2 weeks later he’s all cryptic talking about free agency again.

Whatever Sheppard does with Beal will reveal whether or not we are a franchise that has the goal of building a championship contender, or simply having a feel good team that wins 45 games and loses in round 2.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#1043 » by payitforward » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:01 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Can someone explain how Grant is THAT much better of a player/asset than Kuz?....

That's easy. He's not "THAT much better." In fact, he's not better at all.

What Grant has over Kuzma is that a couple of years earlier in his career (his last 2 w/ OKC) were better than any of Kuzma's 5 years. So what? That's a long time ago.
pcbothwel wrote:Age: Kuz is 1.5 years younger than Grant
Contract: Kuz makes the same amount (40M), but with an additional year. Grant makes 50% more annually!...

Age isn't particularly relevant in this comparison, but salary sure is. Above all, b/c we have control over Kuzma for an extra year.

pcbothwel wrote:Skill set/archetype: Both versatile wings that are a bit of Jack of all Trades

Stats: Both have a TS of ~54% and similar AST:TOV ratio. Grant gathers more STOCKS, while Kuz rebounds at almost double the rate.

Now, I'd give the nod to Grant due to his increased usage...but is he really that much more valuable than Kuz?

Actually, both guys play the 4 not the 3 if that's relevant. Kuzma's numbers are FAR better overall than Grant's.

Grant's higher usage hurts his case. The 5.3 extra points he produces per 40 minutes come by his taking up 5.5 more possessions. That doesn't help; it hurts. Now... maybe his scoring efficiency would go up if his usage went down. Maybe he'd move his TS% up to equal Kuzma's if he shot less.

But in that case -- if they were equally productive scorers -- why would you want Grant? Kuzma rebounds; Grant doesn't. The slightly higher # of blocks Grant records sure don't make up for Kyle getting literally twice as many defensive boards as Grant!

Grant for Kuzma makes us worse. Grant for Deni makes us worse. Basically, Grant would make us worse, period.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1044 » by payitforward » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:13 pm

badinage wrote:I think the guy to target is Fox. ...

I disagree totally. Fox had a couple of good years, early on. He's become a useless chucker.

badinage wrote:They need a guy who can break down a D and get to the cup....

Fox's 2-point % is his only positive stat -- it's not positive enough.

badinage wrote:Imagine Gafford with Fox. Lob City. A la last year w/ ‘brook. He’d get a few extra points a game. ...

No. He wouldn't. Fox posts about 1/2 as many assists as Westbrook. He's a terrible point guard.

badinage wrote:The shooting would improve, thanks to better spacing. A good thing for Bertans, Kispert, Deni, and KCP. Who aren’t bad shooters — they just need more room to get shots off. ...

Whose shooting is he improving on the Kings? This is all in your head, my friend.

badinage wrote:By the way, Deni haters/skeptics/haven’tseenthelight-ers: (our) best first quarter and fourth quarter lineups include Deni. And he hasn’t even scratched the surface of who he is as a player.

In this case, on the other hand, you are absolutely correct.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1045 » by payitforward » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:20 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:The biggest thing that should dissuade us from Grant who is already overrated is that team like Chicago and New York have interest. After their destruction at home versus the Nets last night, Bulls will likely go after a wing that can have a chance at defending the likes of Durant and Giannis. Last thing we should get into is a bidding war for I player that was great as a bench player on a reasonable contract but not so much anymore.

Agree 100000% & that's the perfect way to characterize him. He has "stay away" written all over him.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#1046 » by deneem4 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:21 pm

Kuzma should not be traded, at that salary and production, he earned his status as a key part, now with the rest of our guys coming back we can actually evaluate the team based on performance…
Harrell also shouldn’t be traded unless it’s a large top tier deal….
We actually have a deep team that brings different approaches at the wings, it’s up to Beal and dimwiddie now…
Knicks just got cam for basically nothing, we should do a deal like that for a promising guard
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#1047 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:29 pm

deneem4 wrote:Kuzma should not be traded, at that salary and production, he earned his status as a key part, now with the rest of our guys coming back we can actually evaluate the team based on performance…
We actually have a deep team that brings different approaches at the wings, it’s up to Beal and dimwiddie now…
Knicks just got cam for basically nothing, we should do a deal like that for a promising guard

We cannot keep both Harrell and Bryant next year. One of them WILL be gone. We need to figure out which one will stay and trade the other rather than lose him for nothing.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1048 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:51 pm

Frichuela wrote:Following the news that Derrick Jones Jr of the Bulls is expected to miss up to 6 weeks with a knee injury, it's likely the Bulls are going to be desperate for a trade to beef up their depleted front court.

If we want to keep Kuzma, how about a Harrell+Rui for D Jones Jr+Coby White + POR 2022 1st (Lottery protected). This should be followed by trading Neto somewhere (Cleveland?) for a bag of peanuts..

The Bulls get two players to boost their front court and the Wiz get a reliable third guard who is a 3 pt sniper + POR 1st.

Wow, they are desperate for forwards. I might try to get them to take Bertans for Jones and White. Fleece their arses.

That Portland pick might not convey for a while. It's top 14 protected for several year - and then turns into 2nd rounders. Portland's not good. If we trade them Rui, I want Patrick Williams.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1049 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:15 pm

Read on Twitter

:lol:
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1050 » by gambitx777 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:50 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can't put into words how much that clown mayo annoys the ever loving **** out of me.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1051 » by pcbothwel » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Frichuela wrote:Following the news that Derrick Jones Jr of the Bulls is expected to miss up to 6 weeks with a knee injury, it's likely the Bulls are going to be desperate for a trade to beef up their depleted front court.

Wow, they are desperate for forwards. I might try to get them to take Bertans for Jones and White. Fleece their arses.

That Portland pick might not convey for a while. It's top 14 protected for several year - and then turns into 2nd rounders. Portland's not good. If we trade them Rui, I want Patrick Williams.

Call me crazy, but if Im the Bulls Im looking to use Vuc, prospects (White and Williams), and expirings(Jones and TBJ) to garner enough assets to get Simmons.

Ball
Lavine
Caruso
Derozan
Simmons
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1052 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:35 pm

Ruzious wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Panic in ATL

Read on Twitter

I'm surprised at how poorly Bogdanovic has played for them this season. Can we get him for Bertans and Neto? Nah, but might as well ask.

With Collins supposedly unhappy there, I guess we could try to take advantage of that situation - Beal and Rui for Collins, Hunter, and Huerter. And try to get that restricted FRP Atl got in the Reddish trade. And then we'd have to trade Kuz and Trez.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#1053 » by deneem4 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:08 am

nate33 wrote:
deneem4 wrote:Kuzma should not be traded, at that salary and production, he earned his status as a key part, now with the rest of our guys coming back we can actually evaluate the team based on performance…

We cannot keep both Harrell and Bryant next year. One of them WILL be gone. We need to figure out which one will stay and trade the other rather than lose him for nothing.

We can worry about that after the playoffs
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1054 » by keynote » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:15 am

nate33 wrote:I don't think he is necessarily wrong in the assumption. My problem isn't that he is taking on the small risk that Beal leaves. My problem is that he is seriously considering paying Beal $225M over 5 years. That absolutely puts a cap on the success of this franchise. With that much money devoted to Beal, and with no chance of tanking, it will be completely impossible to add a player who is as good or better than him. And if Beal is your best player, you are no better than a 45-win team, and that might be optimistic.

I hear you, and share your frustration. My guess is that two recent examples are encouraging GMs with a single mid-tier star to stay the course: Phoenix and Chicago.

Phoenix was looking fairly treadmill before the CP3 trade. They had Booker, who wasn't elite, plus two solid draft moves (Ayton, and trading to pick Bridges). They went on a run in the bubble, then went all in for CP3. Now they're in year two of their window as a contender.

Chicago had Lavine and precious little else. Uninspired draft picks (Markkanen, White). They cashed in their future draft capital to bring in Vucevic -- and still missied the play-in tourney (although injuries contributed). They then leveraged their cap space to bring in a bunch of guys, including an arguable overpay for DeRozan. And now they're in a contender window themselves, and should be buyers at this deadline.

Beal isn't going to lead a team to a championship by himself. But they have an abundence of adequate rotation players and, if we can give the right sweetener to OKC, some future draft capital to play with. If we trade Beal for trade capital: if we draft well, we might end up with a player as good as...Beal. If we're savants and/or incredibly lucky, we can land someone better -- but there's no guarantee, and a numbers of ways that could go wrong. In the interim, we'd be trotting out a miserable on-court product.

I'm not saying that I fully agree with this framing. But I can understand why Shep would look at Phoenix and Chicago, and think "why not us?"
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#1055 » by doclinkin » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:53 am

gambitx777 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can't put into words how much that clown mayo annoys the ever loving **** out of me.

Yep. A secondary benefit of any Beal trade would be that we jettison Mayo as a throw-in to the deal.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1056 » by keynote » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:59 am

gambitx777 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm glad Beal has a mouthpiece in the media. I mean, why not? We all enjoy the palace intrigue -- at least, based on the time we spend parsing it, anyway.

I don't even care that Mayo gets stuff wrong from time to time. Who else is bothering to push Wizards-related rumors with the veneer of authenticity? Content is king.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1057 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:28 am

keynote wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm glad Beal has a mouthpiece in the media. I mean, why not? We all enjoy the palace intrigue -- at least, based on the time we spend parsing it, anyway.

I don't even care that Mayo gets stuff wrong from time to time. Who else is bothering to push Wizards-related rumors with the veneer of authenticity? Content is king.

He talks trade deadline at 25 min

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#1058 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:51 am

deneem4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

:banghead:
After the playoffs, both guys are unrestricted free agents and have no trade value.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#1059 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:02 am

nate33 wrote:
deneem4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:We cannot keep both Harrell and Bryant next year. One of them WILL be gone. We need to figure out which one will stay and trade the other rather than lose him for nothing.

:banghead:
After the playoffs, both guys are unrestricted free agents and have no trade value.

The problem is neither has any trade value now; they are just matching contracts. And, they are both among the top 5 most productive players on the team (assuming Bryant returns to what he was before the injury). I'd resign them both if it could be done reasonably then work out the details.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1060 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:02 am

I absolutely hate the idea of trading Kispert , deni or Rui TBH. Kispert has by the numbers bee one if the better rookies this year. Deni has advanced so much you wanna Ben Simmons but people are willing to trade deni a similar type of player for grant of all people .... And Rui I'm still not giving up on tbh, Unless it's specifically bertans and Rui for grant no picks or anything. I know some may say that's stupid but that's what I'd hold firm at and let them trade him else where if they want.

Return to Washington Wizards