Official Trade Thread - Part XLII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XLII 

Post#1101 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:35 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:With all due respect, no one seems interested in Harrell given his contract status and how he was used in the playoffs by the Lakers. He seems to me to have the biggest positive disparity between actual production and potential trade value on the team; keep him and try to resign him unless someone blows you away with an offer.

On the opposite end is Kuzma who is being paid like a productive starter, given minutes like a productive starter, and inconsistently even plays like a productive starter. I think his contract is pretty much attuned to his value and I'd move him if I could generate a decent return. I'd rather give his minutes to Harrell (if Bryant can play next to him), rehabbing Hachimura and Bertans, and developing Avdija and Todd. I'd trade him regardless of what we do with Beal; most other decisions follow from the Beal decision. I feel similarly about KCP but don't think his value is as high and his skill set is less dupicative on this roster so not as eager to move him.

I absolutely want us to keep Trez and Gafford.

To me, given his defensive shortcomings and lack of a post game, Bryant is the odd man out.

You can either get a cheap third big of the stretch variety (think Muscala) or a cheap third big of the give fouls variety (think Len)... or draft a 2nd round project like Queta and hope you hit it large.

Nah, Bryant is the best C on the roster. I'm keeping him.

Best screener, best shooter, and plays with as much energy as Trez.

His value is seen in the last couple games. There's SO MUCH MORE SPACE for the guards. If we get into the postseason, that's going to show up big time. And Trez's value in the postseason is diminished.

Trez in my mind is the odd man out. Whether that's at the deadline or when he leaves in free agency.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1102 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:10 am

I would absolutely trade Trez if at all possible mryant and gafford are a great young pair of centers. I think if we can some how trade bertans I would do it and I would move Trez for anything I can get from him.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1103 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:58 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
penbeast0 wrote:With all due respect, no one seems interested in Harrell given his contract status and how he was used in the playoffs by the Lakers. He seems to me to have the biggest positive disparity between actual production and potential trade value on the team; keep him and try to resign him unless someone blows you away with an offer.

On the opposite end is Kuzma who is being paid like a productive starter, given minutes like a productive starter, and inconsistently even plays like a productive starter. I think his contract is pretty much attuned to his value and I'd move him if I could generate a decent return. I'd rather give his minutes to Harrell (if Bryant can play next to him), rehabbing Hachimura and Bertans, and developing Avdija and Todd. I'd trade him regardless of what we do with Beal; most other decisions follow from the Beal decision. I feel similarly about KCP but don't think his value is as high and his skill set is less dupicative on this roster so not as eager to move him.

To me, given his defensive shortcomings and lack of a post game, Bryant is the odd man out.

You can either get a cheap third big of the stretch variety (think Muscala) or a cheap third big of the give fouls variety (think Len)... or draft a 2nd round project like Queta and hope you hit it large.

His value is seen in the last couple games. There's SO MUCH MORE SPACE for the guards. If we get into the postseason, that's going to show up big time. And Trez's value in the postseason is diminished.

Trez in my mind is the odd man out. Whether that's at the deadline or when he leaves in free agency.

Agreed with those points - including the energy part, but there is something unique about Trez on the Wiz - it's the edge that he plays with. Also, he's proven to be so much more durable than Bryant is. Unfortunately, Bryant hasn't been able to stay healthy. If that changes, then yes - he becomes a very valuable player, imo. Believe it or not, I think Trez can become an even better offensive player than he is if he'd take more jumpers - he's shown a good touch on the rare times he's taken jumpers.

Knowing that the Wiz aren't going to keep both (unless they trade Gafford?), they probably should decide before the trade deadline to trade one of Bryant or Trez - for everyone's benefit.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1104 » by Dark Faze » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:07 pm

Would anyone consider a package around Gaff for Nurkic? Obviously it's something Portland only considers if they know a teardown is imminent, but it's not an ideal time for them to be looking to extend Nurkic. Gaff given his young age and the contract he's signed to would be a nice player alongside Simons and whatever assets they could get back for CJ and Dame.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1105 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:13 pm

I don't think gafford can be traded can he? Since he just signed an extension? Idk with way it would be a poison pill anyway. Again gafford is a good young center I'd hold on to him. Centers usually don't hit their prime years until they are 28-32 IMO. Give him time.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1106 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:21 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I don't think gafford can be traded can he? Since he just signed an extension? Idk with way it would be a poison pill anyway. Again gafford is a good young center I'd hold on to him. Centers usually don't hit their prime years until they are 28-32 IMO. Give him time.

You're right - I keep forgetting that. Gafford's staying here for the long haul.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#1107 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:46 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Would anyone consider a package around Gaff for Nurkic? Obviously it's something Portland only considers if they know a teardown is imminent, but it's not an ideal time for them to be looking to extend Nurkic. Gaff given his young age and the contract he's signed to would be a nice player alongside Simons and whatever assets they could get back for CJ and Dame.

No. Nurkic is 27, can't stay healthy, and hasn't played very good defense for 3 years now.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1108 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:49 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

I'd lean toward keeping Bryant too.

I like Harrell's consistency and energy, but I'm hoping Gafford can get to the point where he can pretty much do the things Harrell does as an interior finisher. And when that happens, I'd rather be able to pair him with Bryant who can bring a stretch 5 dimension to the offense. Also, Bryant is much younger.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1109 » by payitforward » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:02 pm

The only problem with Daniel Gafford that I can see is that we just don't know that we can get more than 20 minutes a game out of him over time.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,669

Post#1110 » by penbeast0 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:28 pm

I'm open to keeping all 3 of Gafford, Harrell, and Bryant since in my mind they are the 3 best players on our roster not named Beal (though maybe I'm underrating Dinwiddie). I think you can play Harrell with Bryant, maybe Gafford too though not really with each other. The only other guy on the roster I've been impressed with is Avdija's defensive improvement, no one else has stood out for me as a keeper.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1111 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:33 pm

payitforward wrote:The only problem with Daniel Gafford that I can see is that we just don't know that we can get more than 20 minutes a game out of him over time.

I'm not really that worried about it. His PF's/36 have fallen from 5.8 to 4.5 to 4.1 in his 3 seasons respectively. It's a pretty normal progression.

I don't think he'll ever get to the Rudy Gobert/Tim Duncan tier of guys who can protect the rim at an elite level without fouling, but I don't see any reason he can't get to the Clint Capela/Tyson Chandler tier. Furthermore, as long as we are keeping a quality second center on the roster with an MLE-sized contract (rather than a mere minutes-eater at a vet-min level), we don't really need Gafford to log 30+ minutes a game. Finally, with the depth of this roster at the forward position, we should probably consider playing a bit more small ball with Rui/Kuzma at center so we can switch everything in crunch time.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1112 » by JWizmentality » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:07 pm

Honestly, if we have to give up one of Trez, Gafford or Bryant. I'm keeping Trez and Bryant. I never have to question their effort.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1113 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:17 pm

Undersized centers have a shelf life usually unless your nake is tucker or green. Most of the time those tweener guys fall off a clif when they hit 28 ish. Gafford and Thomas are 23 ish and not tweeners. Again I say centers usually don't hit their prime until they are about 27-30 so I'll keep Bryant and gafford.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1114 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:58 pm

From Wiretap:

The Detroit Pistons have received interest in Jerami Grant from the Los Angeles Lakers, Portland Trail Blazers, New York Knicks, Utah Jazz, Washington Wizards, Boston Celtics, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Sacramento Kings.

The Pistons are seeking either two first round picks or one first round pick plus a high upside young player in exchange for Grant.

Grant expects to sign a lucrative extension in the ballpark of four years, $112 million this offseason.

Washington is viewed by some league personnel as a favorite to trade for Grant. Grant grew up in the D.C. area and is familiar with Wes Unseld Jr. from their time together with the Denver Nuggets.

The Memphis Grizzlies have been mentioned in some circles speculatively, but they're not expected to pursue Grant.

From me:

:noway: :crazy: :nonono: :banghead:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Post#1115 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:From Wiretap:

The Detroit Pistons have received interest in Jerami Grant from the Los Angeles Lakers, Portland Trail Blazers, New York Knicks, Utah Jazz, Washington Wizards, Boston Celtics, Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Sacramento Kings.

The Pistons are seeking either two first round picks or one first round pick plus a high upside young player in exchange for Grant.

Grant expects to sign a lucrative extension in the ballpark of four years, $112 million this offseason.

Washington is viewed by some league personnel as a favorite to trade for Grant. Grant grew up in the D.C. area and is familiar with Wes Unseld Jr. from their time together with the Denver Nuggets.

The Memphis Grizzlies have been mentioned in some circles speculatively, but they're not expected to pursue Grant.

From me:

Bertans/Deni or Rui/1st rounder for Grant works

His extension kicks in the year Dinwiddie's last year is partially guaranteed ($10 mil but still, can cut him if you need the room).

I'm on the fence, if that's the trade package, and Sabonis will cost more, then I think you pull the trigger. I just don't think Grant is a number two option which is what you're trading him to be and what you're paying him to be. Plus he hasn't played in 5 weeks, and will miss another week or two. IDK
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1116 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:15 pm

Ruzious wrote:From Wiretap:

From me:

Meh, it sounds like Washington "is viewed by some league personnel as a favorite" because people are trying to drive a narrative. It's narratively compelling that Grant is from DC and Wes Jr. has coached him before, but those are utterly meaningless factors in any potential Sheppard decision to pursue Grant.

I'm still not worried about it. Grant doesn't fit Sheppard's MO, and the Wizards are in no position to pay the man $28M a year when he becomes a free agent. We also don't have an unencumbered pick to trade until 2027.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1117 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:22 pm

I'd trade Rui + Bertans for Grant, I suppose. Those salaries match and Rui would be getting an extension just as soon as Grant would be expecting his raise, so the salaries match over the long term as well. It clears a roster glut, eliminates some redundancy, and gives us another guy who can create a shot.

If we have to include a first, it would be our 2027 first and it better be lotto protected for a couple of years after which it turns into a 2nd rounder. (2027 will be right at the end of Beal's new contract and probably the time the team goes into rebuild mode.)
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,777

Post#1118 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:25 pm

nate33 wrote:I'd trade Rui + Bertans for Grant, I suppose. Those salaries match and Rui would be getting an extension just as soon as Grant would be expecting his raise, so the salaries match over the long term as well. It clears a roster glut, eliminates some redundancy, and gives us another guy who can create a shot.

If we have to include a first, it would be our 2027 first and it better be lotto protected for a couple of years after which it turns into a 2nd rounder. (2027 will be right at the end of Beal's extension and probably the time the team goes into rebuild mode.)

The move makes sense if Shep's got move #2 or #3 lined up after that. Neto's a zero right now, so you need a ball handler that can play 16-18 minutes or not be embarrassing if you need the spot start. Can you get that by trading Harrell?

Still probably need a 2 guard, but IDK if there's a move for that either. Guess you can play more Holiday.

Shep needs to figure out what he can get from this Harrell/Bertans/Rui/Deni situation. Kuz has the highest trade value but he's our 2nd best player.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1119 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:37 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'd trade Rui + Bertans for Grant, I suppose. Those salaries match and Rui would be getting an extension just as soon as Grant would be expecting his raise, so the salaries match over the long term as well. It clears a roster glut, eliminates some redundancy, and gives us another guy who can create a shot.

If we have to include a first, it would be our 2027 first and it better be lotto protected for a couple of years after which it turns into a 2nd rounder. (2027 will be right at the end of Beal's extension and probably the time the team goes into rebuild mode.)

The move makes sense if Shep's got move #2 or #3 lined up after that. Neto's a zero right now, so you need a ball handler that can play 16-18 minutes or not be embarrassing if you need the spot start. Can you get that by trading Harrell?

Still probably need a 2 guard, but IDK if there's a move for that either. Guess you can play more Holiday.

Shep needs to figure out what he can get from this Harrell/Bertans/Rui/Deni situation. Kuz has the highest trade value but he's our 2nd best player.

Dinwiddie is starting to come around. In his last 9 games, he has averaged 18 points, 8 assists and only 1.6 turnovers while posting a TS% of .593 that doesn't rely on fluke shooting from 3-point range (just .327). As long as Beal keeps sharing the ball, I think our backcourt can hold up. KCP should be the 3rd guard and I'd really like to see more of Holiday and less of Neto as the 4th guard.

I'd surely trade Harrell for a combo guard, but I don't see a trade out there that makes sense. If we just make the Bertans + Rui for Grant trade and then dump Harrell for 2nd round picks, our roster going forward would be pretty well balanced with enough depth but without benching guys who need minutes:

PG Dinwiddie/Holiday
SG Beal/KCP
SF Grant/Kispert
PF Kuzma/Avdija
C Gafford/Bryant

End of bench: Neto, Gil

Don't get me wrong, that is by no means a contender. But I think they're as good as New York, Toronto, Atlanta, Boston and Charlotte and therefore in the 6th-10th mix for the next few years. That's all Ted seems to care about.

If we're not going to rebuild, then let's at least be a 42-46 win team.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#1120 » by FAH1223 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jake Fischer's reporting

Several league personnel view Washington as a favorite to land Grant. He hails from the D.C. area, his father Harvey played for the franchise from 1988-93 and again from 1996-98. The Wizards' first-year head coach Wes Unseld Jr. also coached Grant as an assistant with the Nuggets.

Despite general manager Tommy Sheppard's contract extension, Washington's front office is still under a dose of pressure to build the best complementary roster it can around Bradley Beal ahead of the All-Star guard's contract extension this summer.

Following the Wizards' 10-3 start, they are currently in the play-in tournament tier of teams, and Grant would seemingly add the perfect punch to their frontcourt. Knowing Detroit's asking price, it's difficult to imagine a deal structure that doesn't send either Deni Avdija or Rui Hachimura back to the Pistons. Montrezl Harrell's expiring $9.7 million contract can help make the salaries match, and Harrell has been considered available for trade, according to league sources.

Return to Washington Wizards