Official Trade Thread - Part XLII

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,349

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XLII 

Post#1161 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:58 pm

Sam Amick is saying that the Kings are feeling a ton of pressure and he seems pretty sure that they will make a big trade by the Deadline, preferably for Simmons or Sabonis.

I love to hear when bad teams are feeling pressure to make a big move. We need to get in on this. There may never be this opportunity:

Beal to Philly
Simmons to Sacramento
Lots of stuff from a desperate Sacramento team to us! (And also some Sixers picks to us.)

Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#1162 » by Frichuela » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:12 pm

nate33 wrote:Sam Amick is saying that the Kings are feeling a ton of pressure and he seems pretty sure that they will make a big trade by the Deadline, preferably for Simmons or Sabonis.

I love to hear when bad teams are feeling pressure to make a big move. We need to get in on this. There may never be this opportunity:

Beal to Philly
Simmons to Sacramento
Lots of stuff from a desperate Sacramento team to us! (And also some Sixers picks to us.)

This would be a no brainer for a well run franchise. But we have Terd at the helm who wants to make the play-in rain or shine and thinks Brad is well worth the super max.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#1163 » by WallToWall » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:15 pm

….but Shep, in his interview, already said that he will not mortgage the future for a “win now” move. Therefor, I don’t see Grant coming here if picks go out. Grant is not a “missing piece” kind of player for the team as it is currently constructed.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1164 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:02 pm

nate33 wrote:Sigh.

Did you even read my post?

I suggested that, based on his production last year and the year before, could post a TS% in the .574 range while scoring about 27 points per 100 possessions. I don't think that's unreasonable if you look at his TS% and usage over the last 2 years.

And if Grant is capable of scoring 27 points per 100 on a TS% of .574, it would make sense if he took a few shots from Beal (.541 TS%), Kuzma (.545 TS%), and Dinwidde (.525 TS%). I don't see why this is controversial.

:) -- Of course I read your post, nate!

You are suggesting that if Grant increases his TS% to .574 on, say, 20 FGAs & 8 FTAs per 100 possessions, so as to produce 27 points, it would be "logical" for him to take shots from guys posting a lower TS%.

Of course it would! That's just arithmetic, not analysis.

Only a) he isn't doing that, b) he's never done that, or anything remotely close to it on that high a usage, & c) there's no reason whatever to imagine that he ever will do that!

Brad, OTOH, over his 5 previous years & @13,000 minutes has averaged a TS% of over .58. So, no, I don't think it's likely that Grant will be taking shots from Beal.

Think about it, nate. I'm not looking for an argument; I'm just looking straight at the subject matter with my eyes open.

I know that, as you say, you're "not pining for" Grant. But, it's easy to talk yourself into the "logic" of an idea that makes no sense. Bertans' contract is a perfect example.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1165 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:11 pm

This team needs to keep rebuilding. Nothing else. Whether we trade Beal or not. Whether we supermax him or not.

Whatever we do about Brad Beal, the very last other thing we need to do is acquire a volume shooter like Grant.

If we trade Brad, we need young talent for a rebuild.

If we keep Brad, we can't swallow a $20m contract -- & anyway Grant is insanely overpaid at that $$.

To put it another way, if we acquire Jerami Grant this team is done for another generation. We already shot ourselves in the foot once (Bertans). Not a good idea to do it to the other foot!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1166 » by payitforward » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:13 pm

nate33 wrote:Sam Amick is saying that the Kings are feeling a ton of pressure and he seems pretty sure that they will make a big trade by the Deadline, preferably for Simmons or Sabonis.

Beal to Philly
Simmons to Sacramento

There you go! Now you're talking!!!!
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1167 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:22 pm

Might explain why Holiday hasn't played much since coming off the COVID list.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1168 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:32 pm

80sballboy wrote:Might explain why Holiday hasn't played much since coming off the COVID list.
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Other teams are seeing that we're paying Holiday well over twice what we're paying Neto - while playing Neto well over twice what we're playing Holiday and probably wondering what's going on in DC Comics. Not that Holiday's anything special - but he has much better defensive ability.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1169 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1170 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:07 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sabonis is a better player than Fox, so that doesn't necessarily sound like Sac is panicking, but a question rises - how much more than Fox are they offering? Tommy needs to get involved in those trade talks - even if it's just as an intermediary.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,014

Post#1171 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:09 pm

Interesting competing trade ideas.

The Philly/Sac/Wiz trade as described by Nate above vs. a Sac/Indy trade of Turner + LeVert for Hield + Bagley + protected 1st type trade.

This is all moot if Ted doesn't want to let go of Beal - elephant in the room if you will.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1172 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:37 pm

Any chance we could convince Toronto to trade us Dragic for Bertans? Throw in Todd and a right to exchange FRPs in a future year? Granted, Dragic might have nothing left (I think he might fill an on-court leadership role), but the obvious benefit is his large expiring contract. He's on personal leave, and word is he's not coming back to Toronto.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1173 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:43 pm

Ruzious wrote:Any chance we could convince Toronto to trade us Dragic for Bertans? Throw in Todd and a right to exchange FRPs in a future year? Granted, Dragic might have nothing left (I think he might fill an on-court leadership role), but the obvious benefit is his large expiring contract. He's on personal leave, and word is he's not coming back to Toronto.

Bertans has been so bad this year that I don't think he is moveable.

We are just going to have to wait and hope that he regains his old shooting form.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1174 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:46 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Interesting competing trade ideas.

The Philly/Sac/Wiz trade as described by Nate above vs. a Sac/Indy trade of Turner + LeVert for Hield + Bagley + protected 1st type trade.

This is all moot if Ted doesn't want to let go of Beal - elephant in the room if you will.

I don't see how SAC pulls off a Hield + Bagley for Turner + Levert trade. Turner is way better than Hield, and LeVert is better than Bagley. A protected 1st doesn't bridge that gap.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1175 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:42 pm

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Interesting competing trade ideas.

I don't see how SAC pulls off a Hield + Bagley for Turner + Levert trade. Turner is way better than Hield, and LeVert is better than Bagley. A protected 1st doesn't bridge that gap.

When you have two teams under pressure... I could also see the Fox for Sabonis trade as well. Probably makes more sense, I can see a Barnes/Sabonis/Holmes FC working out pretty well. And moving Haliburton to the starting PG along with Hield back to the starting SG would work fine.

I would also say, there is no way that Ted trades Beal. So like most trades, there is a low probability it goes anywhere.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1176 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:21 pm

Ruzious wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Sabonis is a better player than Fox, so that doesn't necessarily sound like Sac is panicking, but a question rises - how much more than Fox are they offering? Tommy needs to get involved in those trade talks - even if it's just as an intermediary.

Read on Twitter

:lol:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1177 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:30 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

:lol:

Still, actions speak louder than words. If they're building around 2 combo guards (Fox and Hali) who are more PG than SG, why did they use their lotto pick last year on another combo guard who's more 1 than 2? Not to mention, doing that forced Hield to move out of position to the 3. Are they really looking to trade Mitchell halfway through his rookie year? I don't see Barnes or Bagley or Hield getting them much in trade and doubt they want to trade Holmes.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1178 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:43 pm

Read on Twitter
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1179 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:10 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not sure how we get in on this one? Guess it doesn't matter if the Sixers aren't interested? And would we do this?

Washington: Haliburton, Hield, Barnes + 2 firsts
Philly: Beal, Bertans, Bagley, Harrell
Sacramento: Harris, Simmons, Thybulle
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1180 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:55 pm

It seems like the market for Simmons is pretty cool.

Will there come a point where we could talk Philly into Dinwiddie + Kuzma for Simmons?

Return to Washington Wizards