And1: 19,339

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1102 » by nate33 » Wed May 18, 2022 9:43 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Going to ride the Sochan train:

https://www.tankathon.com/players/jeremy-sochan

https://www.tankathon.com/players/herbert-jones

Herb Jones will probably be a 1st or 2nd team All Rookie and he's got a great shot at being on the all defensive team. If you're saying we have the potential to get a Jones/Barnes hybrid at 10, where do I sign up? The advantage Jones had over Sochan is that Jones was essentially a 3 year starter and was able to develop more. Sochan doesn't have that luxury but then again he's 3 years younger than Jones was coming into this draft. I'm not going to destroy Sochan for his lack of shooting ability just yet considering he'll be 19 when he's drafted.

Comparing Sochan to Barnes is a stretch. Barnes is a legit lead ball-handler. He can play point guard on offense and run pick and roll. Sochan is merely a good ball handler for his size. He can handle well enough to push the ball on a defensive rebound or attack a close out, but it's not like he has guard handles.

Sochan is more of an Aaron Gordon/OG Anunoby type of player than he is a Scotty Barnes.

But Nate, you mean to tell me wouldn't take an Aaron Gordon lite/OG lite at 10? Hopefully he's at the combine, I'd really interested to see what his combine stats are.

I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I'm not salivating over him either. I mean, how valuable is Aaron Gordon?

The bottom line is that you can't play non-shooters in this league anymore, except rim running centers. Sochan can play some small ball center, but you don't want him starting against a guy like Embiid, Jokic or Valanciunas. If Sochan can learn to shoot, then he will be a big asset. If he can't, then he's a limited role player who will get played off the floor in a playoff series. Ultimately, it will boil down to his coachability and work ethic.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1103 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 18, 2022 11:01 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Draft Express is posting the measurements out this afternoon right now!

Draft Eason at 10.

Or else, trade down and draft Walker Kessler plus a pick.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1104 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 18, 2022 11:01 pm

nate33 wrote:

Man, Agbaji is athletic as hell.

10.77 lane agility
3.13 3/4 sprint
32-inch standing vertical
39-inch max vertical

That and you're going to be sorry if you draft him instead of Eason.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1105 » by Dat2U » Wed May 18, 2022 11:03 pm

I think Sochan has a very good shot of being the pick regardless of who's there. I would also look out for his teammate Kendall Brown & Marjon Beauchamp as well.

My take on Sochan. Projects as a +plus defender, potentially switchable 1-5. A non-shooter with solid handle for a 6-9 guy but the handle would be neutralized in half court sets. Don't see him as a playmaker. He's more of a high energy guy with finishing skill who you hope makes enough shots to make teams pay for sagging off.

I see NBA utility as a Thybulle type. Could have a long career as a 7th/8th man on a team surrounded by shooters. Not my choice. Not the worse one either.
RealGM

Post#1106 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 18, 2022 11:35 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:Question: What do you do if...

It's draft day & OKC calls w/ a proposed trade: for our #10 they will give us #15 & #30

1. take it?
2. ask them to add something from their side? If so, what...?
3. ask them to add something from their side, & we add the #55 pick we have from Dallas. If so, what do they add?

They also have the #34 pick, btw -- in case you'd like to modify the trade to add elements.

If we are looking at like Mathurin or Sochan at our pick or whatnot, I'd happily drop back, especially if I could get some sweetener. If I came away with Mark Williams and SomethingSomething (Oscar Tshiebwe?) and Isiaih Mosely, I'd be happy with the draft.

If no on Mark Williams, with a late pick I'm intrigued with sweet passing big Trevion Williams if he can last to our pick.

He has a Draymond flavor to his passing, able to direct traffic from the high post. Old school, he can play with his back to the basket and bang to draw attention then feed the cutter with a nifty quick hit pass. Some of his passes are positively Unseldian. He can throw a full court inbounds pass, or a one handed full court outlet pass off a rebound to the mitts of the attacker for a dunk.. Just heads up smart old school play that makes my eyes happy.

I like this guy a lot also. Trevion Williams is a player I noticed last season as well. His college coach did not utilize them well enough in terms of minutes and I think he's going to surprise at the next level

bump
"Don't You Forget About Me"
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1107 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 18, 2022 11:36 pm

:P

double post
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1108 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed May 18, 2022 11:40 pm

The more I think about the #10 and all the UNCERTAINTY ... (just said draft Eason, I know) ... I think Trade Down works better.

https://www.tankathon.com/players/tari-eason EASON IS DEFINITELY A GOOD PICK at #10

HOWEVER, trading down for E.J. Liddell, who might be better overall than Eason is a GREAT move:

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=e-j-liddell--tari-eason
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1109 » by FAH1223 » Thu May 19, 2022 12:38 am

Mayo says he’s heard talk of trading down

Read on Twitter

He starts talking about it 19 minutes in
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1110 » by 80sballboy » Thu May 19, 2022 2:15 am

Quinton Mayo gave a 70% chance that they would make a deal to trade down. I'm not saying the kid is always right, but he does hustle and has his contacts. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they would trade down in a fairly deep draft, esp. if they can get two later first-rounders and take a shot on a point guard.

I also listened to Matt Modderno's podcast today (Bleav in Wizards). Thought he brought up a good point about Bennedict Mathurin. That Tommy Lloyd was a long-time Mark Few assistant coach and was head man of Arizona this season. Of course, we know how tight Shep is with Few. Doesn't mean he'll be there and doubtful he'll be there if they trade down (Charlotte? Memphis?).
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1111 » by gambitx777 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:41 am

I think a SA trade back would be great 10, cash abd todd for 20,25,38

Chandler at 20
Huston at 25
And best shooter available at 38

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1112 » by FAH1223 » Thu May 19, 2022 5:53 am

80sballboy wrote:Quinton Mayo gave a 70% chance that they would make a deal to trade down. I'm not saying the kid is always right, but he does hustle and has his contacts. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they would trade down in a fairly deep draft, esp. if they can get two later first-rounders and take a shot on a point guard.

I also listened to Matt Modderno's podcast today (Bleav in Wizards). Thought he brought up a good point about Bennedict Mathurin. That Tommy Lloyd was a long-time Mark Few assistant coach and was head man of Arizona this season. Of course, we know how tight Shep is with Few. Doesn't mean he'll be there and doubtful he'll be there if they trade down (Charlotte? Memphis?).

Yup, I listened to Bleav in Wizards earlier and Matt's point is a great one about LLoyd, Few, and Sheppard's connections. I think Mathurin checks the boxes... and has a different passport which is what Ted cares about.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#1113 » by 9 and 20 » Thu May 19, 2022 9:40 am

80sballboy wrote:Quinton Mayo gave a 70% chance that they would make a deal to trade down. I'm not saying the kid is always right, but he does hustle and has his contacts. It's not out of the realm of possibility that they would trade down in a fairly deep draft, esp. if they can get two later first-rounders and take a shot on a point guard.

Yeah, I guess the plan is to trade down and get a point guard? Does that mean they're all-in running it back with the current roster? We shooting for the moon (contender for the play-in game).

To be honest, though, I'm not even sure a mediocre rookie point guard prospect is enough to launch us to the heights of the 10 seed.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1114 » by closg00 » Thu May 19, 2022 11:17 am

Dat2U wrote:I think Sochan has a very good shot of being the pick regardless of who's there. I would also look out for his teammate Kendall Brown & Marjon Beauchamp as well.

My take on Sochan. Projects as a +plus defender, potentially switchable 1-5. A non-shooter with solid handle for a 6-9 guy but the handle would be neutralized in half court sets. Don't see him as a playmaker. He's more of a high energy guy with finishing skill who you hope makes enough shots to make teams pay for sagging off.

I see NBA utility as a Thybulle type. Could have a long career as a 7th/8th man on a team surrounded by shooters. Not my choice. Not the worse one either.

Sochan is Polish, so he's a lock to be #1 on Tommy's board
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1115 » by pcbothwel » Thu May 19, 2022 1:55 pm

Dat2U wrote:I think Sochan has a very good shot of being the pick regardless of who's there. I would also look out for his teammate Kendall Brown & Marjon Beauchamp as well.

Sochan projects to be MUCH better than Tybulle offensively. He actually reminds me of Kuzma offensively. Not vertically explosive, but a smooth ball handler that can finish really well with either hand. I know his shooting is suspect, but its all balance and form which can be taught. You cant really teach "Touch", and Sochan has that.
Like Kuz, he has no issue taking bigs on the perimeter or overpowering smaller wings. While not elite iso scorers, they both have no issue getting their own shot because of their size and skill.

Sochan's ceiling will always be deemed lower because of his usage and lack of rim protection, but his spatial awareness and IQ are tremendous at his age.

I see a Kuzma/Chris Webber/Thad Young/Horford type player that can guard almost anyone, rebound, communicate on defense, make the right pass, and create for himself. I would only take Eason, Daniels, and Sochan are the guys I have honed in on at 10.

PS. Mark Williams would be too if we moved Gafford for a later 1st.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#1116 » by Frichuela » Thu May 19, 2022 2:14 pm

Rumor that our front office likes Dyson Daniels. Makes sense...

His measurements at the draft combine were quite impressive: 6'6" in socks and a 6'10.5" wingspan. One of the best lane agility times and middle of the pack max vert leaps.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=707naa2GLz-0kAZ__kbRJw
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1117 » by payitforward » Thu May 19, 2022 2:20 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I think a SA trade back would be great 10, cash and todd for 20,25,38

Chandler at 20
Huston at 25

Glad to see support for this idea, which I expressed a couple of weeks ago.

I don't think cash would be relevant, & I doubt they'd want Todd. We could give our #56? Or the R2 pick OKC owes us in '24?

If there were a way to get Kuzma going out & Tre Jones coming back... that would make it all world great for us!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1118 » by payitforward » Thu May 19, 2022 2:24 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

Sochan projects to be MUCH better than Tybulle offensively. He actually reminds me of Kuzma offensively. Not vertically explosive, but a smooth ball handler that can finish really well with either hand. I know his shooting is suspect, but its all balance and form which can be taught. You cant really teach "Touch", and Sochan has that.
Like Kuz, he has no issue taking bigs on the perimeter or overpowering smaller wings. While not elite iso scorers, they both have no issue getting their own shot because of their size and skill.

Sochan's ceiling will always be deemed lower because of his usage and lack of rim protection, but his spatial awareness and IQ are tremendous at his age.

I see a Kuzma/Chris Webber/Thad Young/Horford type player that can guard almost anyone, rebound, communicate on defense, make the right pass, and create for himself. I would only take Eason, Daniels, and Sochan are the guys I have honed in on at 10.

PS. Mark Williams would be too if we moved Gafford for a later 1st.

Good stuff... I'm liking Sochan more & more.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1119 » by gambitx777 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:35 pm

payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:I think a SA trade back would be great 10, cash and todd for 20,25,38

Chandler at 20
Huston at 25

Glad to see support for this idea, which I expressed a couple of weeks ago.

I don't think cash would be relevant, & I doubt they'd want Todd. We could give our #56? Or the R2 pick OKC owes us in '24?

If there were a way to get Kuzma going out & Tre Jones coming back... that would make it all world great for us!
Well considering you can just buy seconds most of the time. 1.5-3 mill plus Todd is probably worth a second. I view that as more of a house keeping thing. Gets Todd, with 4 picks to use in the draft and idealisticly we would use all 4 lol .

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1120 » by Ruzious » Thu May 19, 2022 2:43 pm

Brown and Beauchamp are good trade down targets as is CCJ's guy, Trevion Williams- who is so much like Draymond Green. Say no to Sochan. If the Wiz want a shooting guard, trade down for Beauchamp. Chandler is the best PG in the draft despite his lack of size.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards