Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1961 » by 80sballboy » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:30 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:SI Mock Draft from today. More Agbaji
#10 Washington Wizards - G Ochai Agbaji (Kansas, Senior)
The Washington Wizards are approaching this year’s draft with the mindset of getting the best available talent, in their minds, that falls to them. Finding ways to win right now and capitalize on the time they have with Bradley Beal is a “must,” which is why going after an NBA-ready guy like Ochai Agbaji in the backcourt tightens Washington’s rotations.

Should they keep this pick, Washington will have a ton of options on who to draft and they really could go anywhere with this pick given that they have a ton of needs as a franchise. Ochai Agbaji is not a high-potential, young prospect, but he does offer upside as an immediate source of scoring and shooting off-the-bench.

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/draft/brett-siegels-2022-nba-mock-draft-3-0-week-before-draft-edition

Wizards twitter would riot with Sharpe still on the board.

True, but I get the point that his rationale is that Beal wants immediate help and Agbaji can produce in a 3-and-D way at 6-6, 215, though not sure why you'd take him when you have KCP and Kispert.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,360

Post#1962 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:37 pm

80sballboy wrote:SI Mock Draft from today. More Agbaji
#10 Washington Wizards - G Ochai Agbaji (Kansas, Senior)
The Washington Wizards are approaching this year’s draft with the mindset of getting the best available talent, in their minds, that falls to them. Finding ways to win right now and capitalize on the time they have with Bradley Beal is a “must,” which is why going after an NBA-ready guy like Ochai Agbaji in the backcourt tightens Washington’s rotations.

Should they keep this pick, Washington will have a ton of options on who to draft and they really could go anywhere with this pick given that they have a ton of needs as a franchise. Ochai Agbaji is not a high-potential, young prospect, but he does offer upside as an immediate source of scoring and shooting off-the-bench.

https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/draft/brett-siegels-2022-nba-mock-draft-3-0-week-before-draft-edition

The rationale is totally self-contradictory. He says the Wizards are going for the "best available talent", but in the very next sentence, he says they must find an "NBA ready guy" who is not "high potential". :crazy:
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#1963 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:37 pm

Give me a guy who can finish at the rim, shoot the 3 (doesn't have to be Curry) and play some defense. Whoever that is, pick him at 10 even if its a reach. Do I really like Mathurin? Yes, but it sounds like he struggles defensively. Why draft a guy that can get you 20 but gives up 25 on the other end? What are we doing?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Post#1964 » by payitforward » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
Frichuela wrote:On the trade up discussion, these dudes suggest the following trade:

The Sacramento Kings trade the 4th pick (the rights to Jaden Ivey), Richaun Holmes, Maurice Harkless, and Justin Holiday to the Washington Wizards for the 10th pick, a 2025 1st round pick (top-5 protected), Kyle Kuzma, Rui Hachimura, and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope....

I'd be tempted to do the trade to be honest. ...

No. A future 1st round pick (from a team as bad as us) is far too much to give up to move from #10 to #4. I just think it's a real bad idea for bad teams to trade future 1sts...

Agree 100%.

nate33 wrote:...I think a fair deal would be #10 plus Avdija for #4. I hate giving up Avdija, but as a secondary playmaker, Avdija needs touches to be effective. He wouldn't get touches alongside Ivey, Beal and Porzingis...

Wait! You describe a problem that only arises if we trade for Ivey -- you can't use that as a reason to trade him for Ivey! :) At least not unless "trading for Ivey" is inevitable & we are discussing whom -- i.e. rather than whether -- to trade for him. I.e. assuming it were possible.

nate, you seem really "bought in" on Ivey. Do I have that wrong?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#1965 » by gesa2 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:50 pm

Is it bad that I’m thinking about how entertainingly hot the board will be as a consolation prize for making a #sowizards pick like Agbaji or Ty Ty?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1966 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:58 pm

payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Frichuela wrote:On the trade up discussion, these dudes suggest the following trade:

The Sacramento Kings trade the 4th pick (the rights to Jaden Ivey), Richaun Holmes, Maurice Harkless, and Justin Holiday to the Washington Wizards for the 10th pick, a 2025 1st round pick (top-5 protected), Kyle Kuzma, Rui Hachimura, and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope....

I'd be tempted to do the trade to be honest. ...

No. A future 1st round pick (from a team as bad as us) is far too much to give up to move from #10 to #4. I just think it's a real bad idea for bad teams to trade future 1sts...

Agree 100%.

nate33 wrote:...I think a fair deal would be #10 plus Avdija for #4. I hate giving up Avdija, but as a secondary playmaker, Avdija needs touches to be effective. He wouldn't get touches alongside Ivey, Beal and Porzingis...

Wait! You describe a problem that only arises if we trade for Ivey -- you can't use that as a reason to trade him for Ivey! :) At least not unless "trading for Ivey" is inevitable & we are discussing whom -- i.e. rather than whether -- to trade for him. I.e. assuming it were possible.

I'm with Dat2U on Ivey. Outside of Chet, he is really the only guy I think could end up as an all-NBA caliber player - a guy to build a franchise around.

And yes, I'm only making the trade with Ivey in mind. I would only do it on Draft Day with Ivey on the board.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,936

Post#1967 » by Frichuela » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:35 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:
nate33 wrote:No. A future 1st round pick (from a team as bad as us) is far too much to give up to move from #10 to #4. I just think it's a real bad idea for bad teams to trade future 1sts...

Agree 100%.

I'm with Dat2U on Ivey. Outside of Chet, he is really the only guy I think could end up as an all-NBA caliber player - a guy to build a franchise around.

And yes, I'm only making the trade with Ivey in mind. I would only do it on Draft Day with Ivey on the board.

For the record, I am also in agreement. Ivey has risks obviously, but his potential all-NBA ceiling is very appealing.

Put it in a different way, when are we going to have a similar opportunity to grab such upside talent? If we keep Beal, we'll be stuck in late lottery purgatory...
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,098

Post#1968 » by Dat2U » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:57 pm

NatP4 wrote:The Kings don’t care for Ivey, prefer Daniels&Sochan, want to improve their defense, and would like to turn 4 into another asset+a lower pick?

The Kings sound smart. What exactly tells anyone that Ivey will be a better NBA player than Avdija?

"The Kings sound smart". Never heard that before you could probably trademark it lol.

I'd give up Avdija in a heartbeat. Rui too. KCP or Kuzma? Sure. A future protected first? Eh....ok if it gets the deal done. You only get one chance to grab these type of players and that's during the draft because they are considered untouchable after that. I said the same thing about Ja Morant a few years ago when suggesting some convulted move involving Beal for him. :D
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1969 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:55 pm

Continued here

Return to Washington Wizards