ImageImageImageImageImage

2022 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Re: 2022 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#41 » by NatP4 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:50 pm

Sochan with 16 points and 11 rebounds last night. 3-6 from 3.

I’ll be shocked if Baylor doesn’t win it all again.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#42 » by NatP4 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:52 pm

Is Banchero even better than his teammate AJ Griffin?

Griffin, Moore, and Williams are my favorite Duke prospects, not Banchero or Keels.

We need a Duke-Baylor national championship, just like we needed Gonzaga-Baylor last year.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#43 » by NatP4 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:01 pm

I know true big men are going extinct in the modern NBA, but the Purdue bigs have been insane this year:

Edey: 29.4 points 15.3 rebounds per36 on 72.6% TS

Williams: 24.0 points 15.7 rebounds 4.8 assists 2.0 steals per36 on 62.6% TS

Williams is only 21 years old on draft night despite being a senior. Between those two guys+Jaden Ivey, that’s 75 points per 36 minutes. Insane
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#44 » by closg00 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:54 pm

Re: 2011 DRAFT blather goes here. Part 3...
#531 » by nate33 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:13 pm

closg00 wrote:
We have a fall-back plan then, Leonard @ 6, Nikola @ 18 :clap: Rico, get on the phone, we know you and Ernie are close :)

Yup. I can live with that. If we draft Leonard at #6, I'd want a jumpshooting big man at #18. Vucevic or Markieff Morris would be nice.

Draft flashback, the board has often done better than the Wizards FO 8-)
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#45 » by pcbothwel » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:26 pm

NatP4 wrote:I know true big men are going extinct in the modern NBA, but the Purdue bigs have been insane this year:

Edey: 29.4 points 15.3 rebounds per36 on 72.6% TS

Williams: 24.0 points 15.7 rebounds 4.8 assists 2.0 steals per36 on 62.6% TS

Williams is only 21 years old on draft night despite being a senior. Between those two guys+Jaden Ivey, that’s 75 points per 36 minutes. Insane

Young, somewhat plodding/undersized senior big that has great touch and feel that can pass and create turnovers... He reminds me of Xavier TIllman at Mich St. Was a big fan of his and same with Williams.
https://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=trevion-williams--xavier-tillman
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#46 » by Ruzious » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:19 pm

Edey might never play in the NBA, but his 44.2 PER is astounding. I have Ivey as the 1st pick in the draft. Purdue has the biggest player and the best prospect in college ball.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Ruzious » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Nat mentioned Christian Braun. I think he's a player who goes late first that's not going to wow anyone but will be one of those glue guys that helps you win. He's 6'6 210ish, good at everything, but he needs to show some improvement on his 3 - which he probably will because he's an excellent FT shooter and makes a very high percent of his 2's - really high BBIQ, gets steals and blocks, good assist/to ratio.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM

Post#48 » by NatP4 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:16 pm

I’m still blown away by this Purdue team. Last night, Edey put up 21 points 5 rebounds and 4 assists in only 16 minutes!! And Williams had 9 points 8 assists and 11 rebounds in 23 minutes!!! How are these guys so productive?

Per usual, that Purdue backcourt shot the freaking lights out. Ivey/Thompson/Stefanovic combined to shoot 10-20 from 3.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#49 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jan 4, 2022 4:49 pm

Victor Wembanyama should be a really good PF

;ab_channel=BasketNews%E2%80%A4com
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 4, 2022 9:44 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Victor Wembanyama should be a really good PF

;ab_channel=BasketNews%E2%80%A4com

What a great talent. By the current rules, he won't be eligible for the 2022 draft, but there's talk that Silver is considering changing the rules.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 4, 2022 9:51 pm

NatP4 wrote:I’m still blown away by this Purdue team. Last night, Edey put up 21 points 5 rebounds and 4 assists in only 16 minutes!! And Williams had 9 points 8 assists and 11 rebounds in 23 minutes!!! How are these guys so productive?

Per usual, that Purdue backcourt shot the freaking lights out. Ivey/Thompson/Stefanovic combined to shoot 10-20 from 3.

Johnny Davis stepped up like a star with a phenominal game against Purdue - 37 points, 14 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. He and Benedict Mathurin (who had a very good game in Arizona's win over Washington) are shooting guards that would fit the Wiz if they trade Beal. Mathurin's a little bigger and longer, but Davis seems like a more explosive scorer. They're both sure first rounders; I think Davis is more likely to be a lotto pick, but that could change.

Keegan Murray continues to look like a star forward by shredding MD's defense with 35 points and answered the question about his 3 point shooting - making 5 of 6. He also had 8 boards and 3 blocks. Dude still has a 43.6 PER with a .672 TS% - just crazy stats. People thought maybe he'd slow down once conference play started - well, he hasn't. In today's NBA, he could play either forward position - at 6'8 225. One subtle thing I like about him - only 14 turnovers in 13 games - very low for a prolific scorer. Also gets lots of blocks plus steals for a forward. I have him going 6th.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#52 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jan 4, 2022 10:18 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I’m still blown away by this Purdue team. Last night, Edey put up 21 points 5 rebounds and 4 assists in only 16 minutes!! And Williams had 9 points 8 assists and 11 rebounds in 23 minutes!!! How are these guys so productive?

Johnny Davis stepped up like a star with a phenominal game against Purdue - 37 points, 14 boards, 3 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. He and Benedict Mathurin (who had a very good game in Arizona's win over Washington) are shooting guards that would fit the Wiz if they trade Beal. Mathurin's a little bigger and longer, but Davis seems like a more explosive scorer. They're both sure first rounders; I think Davis is more likely to be a lotto pick, but that could change.

Yeah. Davis is more Alec Burks and Mathurin a bit more Jeremy Lamb/Oubre draft. Mathurin has a higher floor due to his defense, size, and shooting. Davis is an more of a creator who, like all initiators, will be either be an AS caliber guard or on the bench. I really like them both either way...
Those 2 along with Murray, Chandler, and Eason are the guys im looking at in the 8-14 range
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 4, 2022 10:32 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Yeah. Davis is more Alec Burks and Mathurin a bit more Jeremy Lamb/Oubre draft. Mathurin has a higher floor due to his defense, size, and shooting. Davis is an more of a creator who, like all initiators, will be either be an AS caliber guard or on the bench. I really like them both either way...
Those 2 along with Murray, Chandler, and Eason are the guys im looking at in the 8-14 range

Now that conference play has finally started we're getting a better look as to who's legit over the next few weeks. Davis' performance was an eye-opener star-making game, but Mathurin's got that size/lenth for a swingman and reliable 3 point shot that every team craves.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,018

Post#54 » by dckingsfan » Tue Jan 4, 2022 11:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Spoiler:
dckingsfan wrote:Victor Wembanyama should be a really good PF

What a great talent. By the current rules, he won't be eligible for the 2022 draft, but there's talk that Silver is considering changing the rules.

Ah, I thought he was draft eligible this year...

Yeah, he is definitely going to need to grow into his body so I think it is a couple of years until he is ready but I think he is going to be really special (if that happens).
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 552

Post#55 » by daSwami » Wed Jan 5, 2022 12:19 am

Ruzious wrote:Edey might never play in the NBA, but his 44.2 PER is astounding. I have Ivey as the 1st pick in the draft. Purdue has the biggest player and the best prospect in college ball.

Curious - why might Edey never play in the NBA? He's highly skilled, especially around the basket. Basically unstoppable in the post at the college level. He's also a decent FT shooter. His slow foot speed will hurt his draft stock, but the kid has game.
:banghead:
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 5, 2022 12:49 am

daSwami wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Edey might never play in the NBA, but his 44.2 PER is astounding. I have Ivey as the 1st pick in the draft. Purdue has the biggest player and the best prospect in college ball.

Curious - why might Edey never play in the NBA? He's highly skilled, especially around the basket. Basically unstoppable in the post at the college level. He's also a decent FT shooter. His slow foot speed will hurt his draft stock, but the kid has game.

Back when the NBA made 2 rule changes - instituting the defensive 3 seconds rule and the no hand-checking rule - it was the beginning of the end for big slow-footed centers - not to mention the increased emphasis on centers to have a 3 point shot. Look at last season - Luka Garza was arguably the top player in college ball, but he was slow footed and just a late 2nd round pick who's barely played for the lowly Pistons.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#57 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 5, 2022 6:40 am

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:I think another relevant discussion is going to emerge at the possibility of sending Beal to NOP for that top 5 pick and snatching up Jaden Ivey, who is an absolute stud and IMO the 2nd best player in the draft.

Wonder if we could tank into another one of Murray/Brown after shipping out Beal and Harrell. Maybe we net another late 1st for Harrell and grab Wendall Moore/Johnny Davis/Marc Williams late 1st.

Imagine walking away from this season with Ivey/Brown/Davis

Jaden Ivey and Kendall Brown are definitely... players to tank for. They are freaks. It's possible that Jabari Smith, Banchero, and Chet go before them, but Ivey and Brown are the game-changers. I haven't even really studied this draft, but those 2 are legit #1 #1 type prospects, imo, and those bigs aren't. I was just watching Brown, and I don't think he's even touched what he could be. He's hardly taken any 3's, and he hasn't racked up assists, but watching the video - you can see great passing and shooting potential. He's a ridiculous leaper at 6'8 and a little over 200 lbs. It looks like he has a second level to his jump when he needs it - almost like David Thompson back in the day. He's made 74% of his 2's - what non-big has ever done that? And he's 18 - on undefeated Baylor. Dude is an athletic freak with a rising BBIQ.

Good video, because it shows his bad plays as well as his good ones.

Now that life and death did indeed happen; I can get back to focusing on real important after my heart stuff, basketball.

Thanks for the heads up on guys I have yet to follow. Top-6 of Jab Smith, Batchelor, Holmgren, Murray, Brown and Ivey--perhaps a superstar in time.
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#58 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 7, 2022 7:51 am

Kofi Cockburn

Good

Excellent pick. Draft him
Bye bye Beal.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#59 » by NatP4 » Sat Jan 8, 2022 3:06 pm

At the slot we will be picking, AJ Griffin and Johnny Davis are my guys. Without a doubt. Kennedy Chandler has lost some steam for me, Eason as well. Braun and Moore are still projected way too low in the late 1st/early 2nd, both would be great trade down candidates.

I’m starting to think both Griffin and Davis are A level prospects being completely overlooked.

Still think you make the obvious move to acquire a late 1st for Harrell at the deadline.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Ruzious » Sat Jan 8, 2022 5:18 pm

NatP4 wrote:At the slot we will be picking, AJ Griffin and Johnny Davis are my guys. Without a doubt. Kennedy Chandler has lost some steam for me, Eason as well. Braun and Moore are still projected way too low in the late 1st/early 2nd, both would be great trade down candidates.

I’m starting to think both Griffin and Davis are A level prospects being completely overlooked.

Still think you make the obvious move to acquire a late 1st for Harrell at the deadline.

Davis continues to show a star mentality alpha type out there that allows him to play better than I think his physical tools are. Griffin definitely has star tools, but Coach K is bringing him along awfully slowly. Why Coach K seems to have more faith in Trevor Keels than AJ Griffin is a mystery to me. I think both of them go somewhere around 10th. Now, are the Wiz going to get a high enough pick to get either one? I don't know.

Return to Washington Wizards