Post#21 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Feb 8, 2022 7:07 am

Perhaps it is time to bump this up
Bye bye Beal.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,036

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Wes Unseld Jr. Thread 

Post#22 » by queridiculo » Tue Feb 8, 2022 7:27 am

An uninspiring hire in a long list of personnel moves along that line, but our GM isn't really doing him any favors with his approach.

Sheppard's approach to team building has been suspect from the go, no clear strategy, no vision, no future.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#23 » by FAH1223 » Tue Feb 8, 2022 11:20 am

queridiculo wrote:An uninspiring hire in a long list of personnel moves along that line, but our GM isn't really doing him any favors with his approach.

Sheppard's approach to team building has been suspect from the go, no clear strategy, no vision, no future.

Blame Tim Connelly

Michael Malone

Jamal Murray

Nikola Jokic

They put a huge PR campaign for Wes in the interview process.

On the merits, I don’t think it was a bad hire.

Darvin Ham was one of the finalists. Would he be doing better? He would have championship bonafides.

But it’s weird how he was making adjustments two months ago, pushing the right buttons and now he and his staff just don’t stick with combos that work. I don’t understand it.

Yeah you got guys with egos and they were complaining he about the offense even when they were winning. But it’s like he can’t operate without that Denver structure.

Tommy fukked up of course. You get a guy who’s obsessed with structure and organization but get players who can’t fit within it.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#24 » by FAH1223 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Is Wes Unseld Jr. doing a good job as head coach? Troy Haliburton joined Ron and me on the #SoWizards Podcast to dissect this question from a number of directions.

If you’re looking for rah-rah cheerleading, this isn’t the episode for you (it’s not the right podcast for you, to be honest). This is an unflinching analysis of how and why Unseld is falling short, how he compares to his predecessors and competitors, as well as how the Wizards organization is failing him as a rookie head coach. And we get into what he — and the front office — needs to do for him and the team to succeed.

In preparation for the episode, I went through the mental exercise of asking basic question: Comparing Unseld to the other 29 NBA head coaches, who would I pick to run my hypothetical team for the next 3-4 seasons? I’ve done this before with Randy Wittman and Scott Brooks. Here’s the list of current NBA coaches I would not pick ahead of Unseld (not in order of preference):

James Borrego, Charlotte Hornets
Tom Thibodeau, New York Knicks
Jamahl Mosley, Orlando Magic
Stephen Silas, Houston Rockets
Willie Green, New Orleans Pelicans
Mark Daigneault, Oklahoma City Thunder
Chauncey Billups, Portland Trail Blazers
Alvin Gentry, Sacramento Kings

That means, I have Unseld ranked no higher than 22nd among current NBA coaches. Note that most of the guys on the list above are fairly new coaches — several are also in their first year. The exceptions: Borrego (4th year in Charlotte; 30 games as interim in Orlando), Thibodeau (10th season as head coach), and Gentry (18th season as head coach, including three stints as interim).

Reasonable minds could differ on a few of my choices. If someone wanted Unseld over Dwane Casey (Detroit Pistons) or Jason Kidd (Dallas Mavericks), I wouldn’t argue much.

Note: we talked a fair amount about how Unseld is not primarily to blame for the team’s struggles. The Wizards’ basic problem this season is the same as it’s been for years: the players aren’t good enough. That said, Unseld hasn’t been able to correct repeated mistakes, connect the individual goals of players to the greater team context, and to maintain competitive motivation.

Listen here, or wherever you get your podcasts.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#25 » by FAH1223 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:59 pm

Wizards twitter already out on Wes

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I push back
Read on Twitter
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 170

Post#26 » by Endless Loop » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:58 pm

It's hard to blame the Wizards' performance on Tommy this year.

They started out great and faded. Got rid of four guys, and all four are playing well for their new teams. Even Aaron Holiday! Playing more minutes for friggin' Phoenix than he did for the Wizards. In his most recent game, he played 24 minutes, got 12 points, 4 rebounds and 5 assists with 1 turnover.

IMO the Wizards had enough talent to be a whole lot better this year than they are.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#27 » by Kanyewest » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:26 pm

Wizards have plenty of depth but they are missing top end talent especially with Beal out- it looks like they have the worst backcourt in the NBA as well. They are 5-15 since he's been out.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#28 » by FAH1223 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:50 am

Seems like Wes is playing politics with his rotations and I'm saying this before the season starts

Morris will never come off the bench even if Wright plays amazing D.

Rui will continue to come off the bench even if he breaks out. Unlikely but it could happen.

Barton who is suited to be the 6th man, will start and the defense will be terrible with him, Morris, Beal, and Kuzma on the floor at the same time..
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,969

Post#29 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:55 am

I'm going to judge Wesley JUNIOR in eight to ten game increments this season. I already think he's MEH. Nepotism no better than Scott our last coach. NOT AS GOOD AS Wittman....

But WHAT do I know?
Bye bye Beal.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,969

Post#30 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:56 am

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is Wes Unseld Jr. doing a good job as head coach? Troy Haliburton joined Ron and me on the #SoWizards Podcast to dissect this question from a number of directions.

If you’re looking for rah-rah cheerleading, this isn’t the episode for you (it’s not the right podcast for you, to be honest). This is an unflinching analysis of how and why Unseld is falling short, how he compares to his predecessors and competitors, as well as how the Wizards organization is failing him as a rookie head coach. And we get into what he — and the front office — needs to do for him and the team to succeed.

In preparation for the episode, I went through the mental exercise of asking basic question: Comparing Unseld to the other 29 NBA head coaches, who would I pick to run my hypothetical team for the next 3-4 seasons? I’ve done this before with Randy Wittman and Scott Brooks. Here’s the list of current NBA coaches I would not pick ahead of Unseld (not in order of preference):

James Borrego, Charlotte Hornets
Tom Thibodeau, New York Knicks
Jamahl Mosley, Orlando Magic
Stephen Silas, Houston Rockets
Willie Green, New Orleans Pelicans
Mark Daigneault, Oklahoma City Thunder
Chauncey Billups, Portland Trail Blazers
Alvin Gentry, Sacramento Kings

That means, I have Unseld ranked no higher than 22nd among current NBA coaches. Note that most of the guys on the list above are fairly new coaches — several are also in their first year. The exceptions: Borrego (4th year in Charlotte; 30 games as interim in Orlando), Thibodeau (10th season as head coach), and Gentry (18th season as head coach, including three stints as interim).

Reasonable minds could differ on a few of my choices. If someone wanted Unseld over Dwane Casey (Detroit Pistons) or Jason Kidd (Dallas Mavericks), I wouldn’t argue much.

Note: we talked a fair amount about how Unseld is not primarily to blame for the team’s struggles. The Wizards’ basic problem this season is the same as it’s been for years: the players aren’t good enough. That said, Unseld hasn’t been able to correct repeated mistakes, connect the individual goals of players to the greater team context, and to maintain competitive motivation.

Listen here, or wherever you get your podcasts.

Bumpity
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#31 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 7, 2022 4:20 pm

Bump
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,880

Post#32 » by Frichuela » Tue Nov 8, 2022 2:37 pm

Per the Athletic, the Wizards are the WORST team in the NBA in transition defense: 132.2 points per 100 possessions (30th).

This has to be on Wes and his coaching staff...

"Goodness, the Wizards are horrendous at transition defense. Giving up over 130 points per 100 possessions is pretty pathetic, and it shows just how little effort is going into them getting back. The defensive intensity is not there anywhere on the floor, but this disgusting transition defense is setting them up for failure constantly. While their transition offense is solid, it’s not nearly enough to counteract when it goes the other way. The Wizards appear to have a lot of issues right now, and things are holding on by a thread. Wes Unseld Jr. has his work cut out for him in getting through to have these guys just try more."
leswizards
Senior
And1: 201

Post#33 » by leswizards » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:58 pm

This site has a tendency to crash on me in the midst of writing posts, so I am going to make a bunch of short posts, rather than 1 long one.
leswizards
Senior

Post#34 » by leswizards » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:59 pm

Festivus is around the corner, and I want to air my grievances with Wes jr.
leswizards
Senior

Post#35 » by leswizards » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:01 pm

The inbound play to end the game a few nights ago was atrocious.
leswizards
Senior

Post#36 » by leswizards » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:03 pm

Kuzma hit a key three in the last game, convincing himself that he was an excellent shooter, and consequently followed it up with at least 3 brick 3 pointers almost costing the Wizards the game.
leswizards
Senior

Post#37 » by leswizards » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:04 pm

Kuzma is arguably one of the worst Wizards to get regular minutes, yet once again this season, he is 2nd in mpg.
leswizards
Senior

Post#38 » by leswizards » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:06 pm

Gafford is arguably one of the best Wizards, yet again he is struggling to get minutes.
leswizards
Senior

Post#39 » by leswizards » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:08 pm

There is a long list of players who have produced for the Wizards far below their career norms for production under Wes jr. Some of these players have moved on to other teams and returned to their career norms in terms of production.
leswizards
Senior

Post#40 » by leswizards » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:12 pm

Not one of the Wizards young first rounders have shown substantial improvement under Wes jr. (However over the past few games, 3 of them have looked quite good, so maybe, hopefully, this about to change.)

Return to Washington Wizards