ImageImageImageImageImage

Bradley Beal - Part IV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

zero2hero
Senior
And1: 487

Re: Bradley Beal - Part IV 

Post#61 » by zero2hero » Wed Feb 9, 2022 2:53 am

John Wall situation all over again - almost to the T. If we give him the super max I might actually root for another team.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#62 » by NatP4 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 3:04 am

Not the John Wall situation, or even close.

Wall tore his achilles, and really wasn’t a good player before that. He also was not the greatest leader, his game was completely predicated on athleticism with no shooting ability to show far.

Some of these takes have been wildly over dramatic. Beal is still a really good player and person that has been loyal to the wizards for a very long time. Back off the ledge, it’s not even a serious injury. This wiz could tank into a generational talent now.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,160

Post#63 » by AFM » Wed Feb 9, 2022 3:17 am

nate33 wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:This "decision" by Beal looks all too similar to college athletes shutting it down for the season before entering the draft or entering the transfer portal. I saw it first hand with LSU's two starting DB's shutting it down this season midway through. I personally think he's a coward and I hope we trade him. We CANNOT extend him.

GTFO with that BS. Or at least go say it to his face.

Beal may have flaws, but calling him a coward because he got injured has to be one of the worst takes I've seen on this board. You can want the team to trade him without making up reasons to disparage the man.

You're right Nate. Tyrone Messby, RealGM Veteran, should go say it to Bradley Beal's face.
AFM
General Manager

Post#64 » by AFM » Wed Feb 9, 2022 3:21 am

The funny thing is, when Beal is inevitably traded to a better team, I feel like he's going to play incredibly. As a 2nd or 3rd option on a good team, he will thrive. Such is the fate of a Wizards fan. Camus said "One must imagine Sisyphus happy". But to be a wizards fan means you must imagine the boulder rolling back and crushing you completely every time you think you've made an inkling of progress.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#65 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Feb 9, 2022 3:38 am

What a disaster this season has become.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#66 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Feb 9, 2022 3:41 am

I hope we sign and trade Beal. I'm just really tired of this.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
AFM
General Manager

Post#67 » by AFM » Wed Feb 9, 2022 3:46 am

There was a meme I saw where a Christian looked defeated and asked Christ "please stop challenging me, I've had enough" and Christ said "but you are my strongest soldier".
Such is the fate of a Wizard's fan.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#68 » by Tyrone Messby » Wed Feb 9, 2022 3:52 am

NatP4 wrote:Not the John Wall situation, or even close.

Wall tore his achilles, and really wasn’t a good player before that. He also was not the greatest leader, his game was completely predicated on athleticism with no shooting ability to show far.

Some of these takes have been wildly over dramatic. Beal is still a really good player and person that has been loyal to the wizards for a very long time. Back off the ledge, it’s not even a serious injury. This wiz could tank into a generational talent now.

And Beal is? :lol: Wall was the one leading us to the playoffs. What did Beal ever accomplish as the main guy? Westbrook ran this team in his only season here.

And wow... Loyal to the Wizards? What has that ever got this team? Nothing. This is a great example of why this team will forever suck. So many fans and ownership are content with being completely average. And yeah Beal will probably go flourish somewhere else, but it won't be as a franchise player. So what is the point in keeping him here? That is what we need. And we can't even tank right so our chances of landing a generational talent are slim to none. And if this team does max Beal, I'm absolutely walking from this clown organization. It's clear ownership, management, and the players aren't serious about contending. Beal probably wants nothing more than to get a fat contract and play out the remaining prime years of his career here and then go chase a ring when that deal expires. Beal is a great talent, but he isn't right for this team. And if we supermax him who can we realistically afford? You trust Shep to make the right moves in the draft to help build around him? It's all just depressing when you really think about it. Wall and Beal were supposed to be our Steph and Klay and well...that didn't happen. Time to move on. I'm sick of being a 5-8 seed, it's no fun.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#69 » by FAH1223 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 4:02 am

Tyrone Messby wrote:

And Beal is? :lol: Wall was the one leading us to the playoffs. What did Beal ever accomplish as the main guy? Westbrook ran this team in his only season here.

And wow... Loyal to the Wizards? What has that ever got this team? Nothing. This is a great example of why this team will forever suck. So many fans and ownership are content with being completely average. And yeah Beal will probably go flourish somewhere else, but it won't be as a franchise player. So what is the point in keeping him here? That is what we need. And we can't even tank right so our chances of landing a generational talent are slim to none. And if this team does max Beal, I'm absolutely walking from this clown organization. It's clear ownership, management, and the players aren't serious about contending. Beal probably wants nothing more than to get a fat contract and play out the remaining prime years of his career here and then go chase a ring when that deal expires.
zero2hero wrote:John Wall situation all over again - almost to the T. If we give him the super max I might actually root for another team.

There’s some revisionist history.

John signed his 4 year $170M supermax extension in 2017. John was coming off his best season, Bullets were a game away from the ECFs.

John also still had 2 years left on his 5 year $80M extension that kicked in for the 2014-15 season. He was due to become a free agent in 2019.

John started off the 2017-18 campaign pretty good! Then he got hurt, missed a couple months, and the Bullets went from the 4th or 5th seed all the way down to 8th and had to play Toronto which ended in 6 games.

Then we had the horrible 2018-19 season and John tore his Achilles in the shower. And we never saw him suit up again.

This situation with Brad is different. He’s actually going to test free agency. The 5 year $240M will be on the table on July 1, 2022.

And he may opt to leave. Then we see what the sign and trade options are.

But if he re-signs, he will still have value as long as he’s healthy. League executives love Beal. He has a much better reputation than his play.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#70 » by queridiculo » Wed Feb 9, 2022 1:25 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

John signed his 4 year $170M supermax extension in 2017. John was coming off his best season, Bullets were a game away from the ECFs.

John also still had 2 years left on his 5 year $80M extension that kicked in for the 2014-15 season. He was due to become a free agent in 2019.

John started off the 2017-18 campaign pretty good! Then he got hurt, missed a couple months, and the Bullets went from the 4th or 5th seed all the way down to 8th and had to play Toronto which ended in 6 games.

Then we had the horrible 2018-19 season and John tore his Achilles in the shower. And we never saw him suit up again.

This situation with Brad is different. He’s actually going to test free agency. The 5 year $240M will be on the table on July 1, 2022.

But if he re-signs, he will still have value as long as he’s healthy. League executives love Beal. He has a much better reputation than his play.

The only revisionist history here is to blame Wall coming up short as the leader of this franchise on his injuries.

Wall had not earned the supermax and strategically there was absolutely zero sense of urgency to extend him following the 2016/17 season.

If anything, Wall's extension was entirely predicated on the game winner in game 6 of the Boston series.

There was no due diligence and no objective evaluation of Wall's play that took place, and the Wizards under the Monumental One's leadership are about to repeat the same mistake.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#71 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 1:59 pm

queridiculo wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

The only revisionist history here is to blame Wall coming up short as the leader of this franchise on his injuries.

Wall had not earned the supermax and strategically there was absolutely zero sense of urgency to extend him following the 2016/17 season.

If anything, Wall's extension was entirely predicated on the game winner in game 6 of the Boston series.

There was no due diligence and no objective evaluation of Wall's play that took place, and the Wizards under the Monumental One's leadership are about to repeat the same mistake.

queridiculo is correct that Wall was never a great leader. (I consider him the primary cause of the overconfidence issues the team has had for a decade.) And he is right that Wall hadn't really earned a supermax contract even after his 2016-17 campaign. The rush to extend him was due to the typical inferiority syndrome of the Washington Wizards. We had to give the most money we possibly could at the earliest possible time to prove to the NBA that we are a credible organization that takes care of it's own. No, you idiot! It only proves that you are a pushover who lacks the self-esteem to make players earn their money.

All that said, I think FAH1223's primary point was that Wall wasn't hurt when we extended him. It wasn't like the Gilbert Arenas extension. Wall was actually playing pretty well and had come off his greatest playoff performance ever at the time he was extended. He had just been selected for All-NBA 3rd team. The idea of giving the max to such a player wasn't crazy. It was just premature to give it to him for no good reason when we had him under contract for two more years.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#72 » by FAH1223 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 2:04 pm

queridiculo wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

I agree it was way too early. If he earned All NBA again and stayed healthy on a deep playoff run in 2018 postseason, I could see it being “earned”.

They probably save $40M or whatever by waiting to do it later.

The main issue though is he got hurt but luckily we got some value for that contract.

With Beal, as long as he stays healthy and productive, his reputation around the league is so positive, there will be teams ready to dance on a deal.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#73 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 9, 2022 2:06 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote:

:nod: :nod:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#74 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 9, 2022 2:15 pm

With Wall coming up on the last year of his contract, I'd be happy to trade Bertans, Dinwiddie, and Trez for him. Sorry, this is probably the wrong thread to post that.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#75 » by closg00 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 2:16 pm

Washington Wizards guard Bradley Beal — who’ll undergo season-ending surgery on his left wrist — and his agent Mark Bartelstein of Priority Sports met with owner Ted Leonsis and general manager Tommy Sheppard on Monday to discuss the three-time All-Star’s future and the franchise’s plans for constructing a roster, sources told ESPN. 5 hours ago – via Adrian Wojnarowski @ ESPN

I get to keep my house
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Post#76 » by daSwami » Wed Feb 9, 2022 2:31 pm

Beal clearly injured himself knowing this franchise LOVES over-paying injured vets. Smart move, imo.
:banghead:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#77 » by nate33 » Wed Feb 9, 2022 2:38 pm

Ruzious wrote:With Wall coming up on the last year of his contract, I'd be happy to trade Bertans, Dinwiddie, and Trez for him. Sorry, this is probably the wrong thread to post that.

That would be a good trade, but I don't really see the incentive for Houston. I guess, instead of buying out Wall at $47M, next year, they can pay Dinwiddie (who may be better and is probably more durable) and Bertans a combined $32M. But they have to do so for 2 years.

It could really set us up for Summer 2023. The team would be just Beal, Gafford, Avdija, Kispert, and our 2022 draft pick, plus Kuzma's $13M cap hold. That's only about $85M, giving us maybe $40M in cap room.

All that said, I'm guessing that bringing Wall back here is a complete non-starter as long as Ted is owner.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#78 » by payitforward » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:47 am

nate33 wrote:...Wall hadn't really earned a supermax contract even after his 2016-17 campaign. The rush to extend him was due to the typical inferiority syndrome of the Washington Wizards. We had to give the most money we possibly could at the earliest possible time to prove to the NBA that we are a credible organization that takes care of it's own. No, you idiot! It only proves that you are a pushover who lacks the self-esteem to make players earn their money....

LOL! Preach, nate!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
General Manager

Post#79 » by AFM » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:07 am

Please stop mentioning Wall. Reminder that he did the unforgivable and threw up a W west coast sign in a tik tok video. He should be arrested.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#80 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards