Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XLIII 

Post#921 » by Ruzious » Tue May 10, 2022 2:59 pm

payitforward wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:Yup. I'm not worried about this at all. Sheppard is not trading our lotto pick for Brogdon.

It's true Brogdon fills an obvious need and I'm sure Sheppard would like to acquire him, but if he does so, he'll trade some combination of Kuzma, Rui and KCP to get him. He won't trade our pick, Avdija or Kispert.

And frankly, I don't think he'll even trade veterans to get him because our vets are younger than Brodgon. In every trade but the Wall for Westbrook trade, we have gotten younger, not older. Sheppard has clearly gotten Beal on board with the philosophy of not trading future pieces to goose our short-term winning by a couple of games. He has had opportunities to do so every summer, and he has consistently declined.

Yeah.I could definitely see Brogdon coming here for a package revolving around Kuzma. It might have to include KCP, but I think the Wiz want to keep him.

Even in that case, I can't see it for 2 important reasons:

1. Brogdon's salary puts too tight a squeeze on our ability to develop this roster. Which makes it a bigger bet than he's worth.

2. I forget the other reason... no wait a minute! I remember it! Taking Brogdon off Indy's hands would help a core rival rebuild faster/better than they'd be able to otherwise. No way Tommy's doing that.

I'm not a fan of trading for Brogdon, but trading KuZ and KCP for him would save money in year 1 and wouldn't cost any of our future. and helping Indy should be the least of our concerns.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,870

Post#922 » by payitforward » Tue May 10, 2022 8:28 pm

True that it saves $ in year 1, but he's owed a lot more than Kuz/KCP combined. If you think about his injury history, it just seems too likely we'd be stuck paying him for years -- i.e. that's where I see the "bigger bet than he's worth" & its potential cost to our future.

Nobody seems interested in my suggested trade for Tre Jones -- I don't know why. If we could somehow move Kuzma for him... well, it'd be great.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#923 » by nate33 » Tue May 10, 2022 10:41 pm

payitforward wrote:Nobody seems interested in my suggested trade for Tre Jones -- I don't know why. If we could somehow move Kuzma for him... well, it'd be great.

I'm not interested because it's virtually impossible to trade for a young player who is still on his rookie contract, if he is playing well.

The price it would take to pry him out of San Antonio's hands is going to be a price that is prohibitive.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#924 » by payitforward » Wed May 11, 2022 1:43 am

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Nobody seems interested in my suggested trade for Tre Jones -- I don't know why. If we could somehow move Kuzma for him... well, it'd be great.

I'm not interested because it's virtually impossible to trade for a young player who is still on his rookie contract, if he is playing well.

The price it would take to pry him out of San Antonio's hands is going to be a price that is prohibitive.

Makes sense. I guess I've sort of been relying on the very soft info that SA had an interest in Kuzma (& in Rui for that matter). Oh well....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,348

Post#925 » by doclinkin » Wed May 11, 2022 3:58 am

Sure, but the rumor about the Spurs interest in Kuzma came from the Lakers front office when they were trying to reduce the cost for Buddy Hield. So it is a CGI trade, special effects and make-up. Pure Hollywood fantasy. Rui maybe, but not Kuzma. And even then we'd likely have to give more.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#926 » by payitforward » Wed May 11, 2022 1:47 pm

doclinkin wrote:

Sure, but the rumor about the Spurs interest in Kuzma came from the Lakers front office when they were trying to reduce the cost for Buddy Hield. So it is a CGI trade, special effects and make-up. Pure Hollywood fantasy. Rui maybe, but not Kuzma. And even then we'd likely have to give more.

I.e. wishful thinking on my part! Oh well....

OTOH, Rui & more would work for me -- depending on what the "more" was, of course. But, I think it's extremely unlikely that we trade Rui -- even less likely that we give him plus more for the guy taken #41 one year after we took Rui #9.

Not a desirable sequence of events on a GM's resume -- especially since the #41 guy in question was available for us to pick & we not only passed on him but traded the pick for next to nothing! :)
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#927 » by NatP4 » Wed May 11, 2022 3:22 pm

Didn’t Tommy do exactly that in trading Troy brown for Daniel Gafford?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#928 » by nate33 » Wed May 11, 2022 3:41 pm

NatP4 wrote:Didn’t Tommy do exactly that in trading Troy brown for Daniel Gafford?

That's an excellent point!

Tommy identified a promising young 2nd round pick toiling away as a second stringer on another team, and acquired him by trading our own young player, who was an underwhelming 1st round pick. That seems like a perfect analogy for a Rui for Tre Jones trade.

If San Antonio would go for it, it would really balance our roster nicely.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#929 » by payitforward » Wed May 11, 2022 3:43 pm

Another thought on San Antonio:

The Spurs have 4 of the top 34 picks in the draft (9, 20, 25 & 34). It seems less than likely that they'd want to use all of them. We, on the other hand, could certainly use another pick.

What might we give to get e.g. #25 in return? Or even #34?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#930 » by nate33 » Wed May 11, 2022 3:50 pm

payitforward wrote:Another thought on San Antonio:

The Spurs have 4 of the top 34 picks in the draft (9, 20, 25 & 34). It seems less than likely that they'd want to use all of them. We, on the other hand, could certainly use another pick.

I actually think we could extract one of those picks in a Rui for Jones trade. What diminishes Jones' trade value is the fact that he has just one more year on his rookie deal. I think Rui has more trade value.

So it's Rui for Tre Jones + #34. Sounds good to me!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#931 » by payitforward » Wed May 11, 2022 4:11 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Didn’t Tommy do exactly that in trading Troy brown for Daniel Gafford?

That's an excellent point!

Tommy identified a promising young 2nd round pick toiling away as a second stringer on another team, and acquired him by trading our own young player, who was an underwhelming 1st round pick. That seems like a perfect analogy for a Rui for Tre Jones trade.

If San Antonio would go for it, it would really balance our roster nicely.

Good point about that trade. But... Tommy traded a guy who'd been taken when Ernie was the decision-maker. Might make a difference.

Plus, we gave Brown Jr. in return for Gafford & Chandler Hutchison, who had gone 8 picks after Brown in 2018 -- & had had a respectable rookie year.

Still, that's a good point, Nat -- well done.

What if it was Rui &, say, Todd for Jones & the #34 pick. Or... Rui, Todd & OKC's 2024 R2 pick for Jones & the #25 pick? Or even the #34?

Does seem like there's some formula in there that might work.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#932 » by NatP4 » Wed May 11, 2022 5:36 pm

Tre Jones looks like one of the best young guards in the NBA, I just don’t see why the Spurs would look to move him.

I’ve always felt like they would have substantial interest in Rui. He seems like the kind of player that they acquire and turn into a highly useful player that plays defense.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#933 » by NatP4 » Wed May 11, 2022 5:38 pm

nate33 wrote:

I actually think we could extract one of those picks in a Rui for Jones trade. What diminishes Jones' trade value is the fact that he has just one more year on his rookie deal. I think Rui has more trade value.

Id do that trade without hesitation.

And give me Dalen Terry at 34.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#934 » by payitforward » Wed May 11, 2022 9:55 pm

nate33 wrote:

That would be great, obviously, but I think it's inconceivable that Ted agrees to trade Rui.

What might make this work for Tommy, OTOH, is that we get two assets back for Rui. Otherwise, he's trading the guy he took at #9 in 2019 for a guy he passed on at #37 in 2020 & who went at #41. The "optics" on that, as they say, are just too negative.

In fact, that's the main reason I've been more focused on Kuzma. We didn't go out to get Kuz. He wasn't a target. He simply came in the Westbrook trade.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#935 » by prime1time » Fri May 13, 2022 2:43 am

What are people's thoughts on trading for Harden?
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,053

Post#936 » by queridiculo » Fri May 13, 2022 2:47 am

prime1time wrote:What are people's thoughts on trading for Harden?

You must be joking.
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#937 » by ozthegap » Fri May 13, 2022 4:10 am

Gshhfhejjsjgdgjsjjshgs (that stands for I can’t find appropriate enough words to cuss you out)
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#938 » by pcbothwel » Fri May 13, 2022 1:36 pm

ZERO interest...but also, Philly is running it back. Harden will opt in and they'll hire MDA.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#939 » by nate33 » Fri May 13, 2022 1:40 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

ZERO interest...but also, Philly is running it back. Harden will opt in and they'll hire MDA.

Yeah, at this point, I don't see any way Philly can trade Harden without taking a big loss. They're better off trying to figure out a way to make it work with Harden next year.

If they do anything, it will be to use one or more of their future picks to add one more decent (and affordable) veteran.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,930

Post#940 » by Frichuela » Fri May 13, 2022 2:17 pm

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Yeah, at this point, I don't see any way Philly can trade Harden without taking a big loss. They're better off trying to figure out a way to make it work with Harden next year.

If they do anything, it will be to use one or more of their future picks to add one more decent (and affordable) veteran.

Dream scenario is a trade discussed in PHI's board...

WAS sends Beal+Kuzma+KCP to PHI
PHI sends Harris+Maxey+Thybulle to WAS

WAS then trades Harris to LAL for Westbrook and a 1st rounder (2027?).

(Big) If we get lucky and draft Ivey in the top 4...

Maxey/Westbrook (cut or keep him for a year)
Ivey/Kispert
Thybulle/
Rui/Deni
Porzinga/Gafford

Return to Washington Wizards