Offseason Plan

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,327

Offseason Plan 

Post#1 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:22 pm

Now that the dust has settled at the Trade Deadline, we have a pretty good idea what our team will look like in the offseason:

PG
SG Beal/KCP
SF Avdija/Kispert
PF Kuzma/Hachimura
C Porzingis/Gafford

Bench: Todd, Carey
Bird Rights on Bryant and Neto

We will add a likely lotto pick, and we will have about $21M in luxtax room, but only the $10M MLE to sign free agents.

So, what should we do? How do we fill the gaping hole at PG?
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Re: Offseason Plan 

Post#2 » by Frichuela » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:25 pm

nate33 wrote:Now that the dust has settled at the Trade Deadline, we have a pretty good idea what our team will look like in the offseason:

PG
SG Beal/KCP
SF Avdija/Kispert
PF Kuzma/Hachimura
C Porzingis/Gafford

Indeed. What are the options at PG in free agency for the MLE? I can see post ACL Rubio, Delon Wright, Tyus Jones, the return of Sato, anything else? Perhaps Tommy can engineer another trade...
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#3 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:28 pm

PG is such a huge need
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#4 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:38 pm

I feel like Hachimura and KCP are our mostly likely trade assets if we are to trade for a PG. But I don't really see a PG who is available. Is there any team out there with a surplus of decent PG's who would like a forward? Sacramento used to be the answer to that question, but with Haliburton gone, they no longer are.

Our best bet is probably to sign Sato or Rubio with a portion of the MLE and draft the best PG available. Beal better keep working on those ball handling skills. He is going to play a lot of PG.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#5 » by nate33 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:43 pm

Beal for Simmons would really be perfect right now. Simmons and Porzingis would complement each other nicely and it would re-establish the entire team around a much younger core. Porzingis is 26 and Simmons is 25.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#6 » by Frichuela » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:45 pm

nate33 wrote:Beal for Simmons would really be perfect right now. Simmons and Porzingis would complement each other nicely and it would re-establish the entire team around a much younger core. Porzingis is 26 and Simmons is 25.

Absolutely. Porzingis is the right stretch big for Simmons. Problem is I can not see the Nets trading Simmons if he gets back to his old self…
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:14 pm

I'm going to assume Beal stays for the money. Like I said in another thread, I think we offer the full MLE to pure PG Tyus Jones - such a smart little PG who never turns the ball over. Not a great scorer/shooter but good enough. Memphis doesn't need him, so I don't see them going after him. There's just no PG in the draft that really interests me. It's really hard to say who I'd target in the draft - I'll have to think about it. Trade the pick and one of our forwards for Haliburton. :)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#8 » by queridiculo » Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:25 pm

Plant evidence that Leonsis is the grand dragon of the KKK.

NBA forces a sale to Jeff Bezos who pivots to basketball after failing to land a NFL franchise.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#9 » by NatP4 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:01 am

I wonder if you could trade Kuzma for a mid 1st in the off-season to the Spurs or Grizzlies, who both have multiple mid 1sts. Then use that pick+ours (probably ends up 7-10), to trade up on draft night. Maybe #8+#16 can get you to 4 or 5, and possibly Jaden Ivey (who will go no higher than #4).

Also wonder if Jalen Brunson could be signed for the full MLE. I doubt it.

Dream roster:

Brunson Ivey
Beal KCP
Avdija Kispert
Porzingis Hachimura
Gafford Carey
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#10 » by NatP4 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:03 am

If we pick 7-10 again, we will get an absolute stud in this draft. Kendall Brown and Keegan Murray are being mocked in or below that range (which is ridiculous).

We could still make that Kuzma for Derrick White trade also. Plenty of options.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,359

Post#11 » by doclinkin » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:01 am

I like that we are running sets with Deni at point. If he can reliably play even substitute minutes at the position we have the advantage of being able to play large without sacrificing mobility.

PG Deni 6'9"
SG KCP 6'5"/Kispert 6'6"
SF Kuzma 6'10"
PF Rui 6'8" and solid
C Porzingis 7'3"

Defensively that is a lot of length, savvy, and athleticism. Offensively every player in the line-up has shown a willingness to shoot a 3 and handle the ball in a face-up attack. They just all need to improve on the outside shooting to really make it deadly.

The East is getting large. With Embiid. Giannis. The Hawks' big line up. The Cavs' twin towers. The Raptors entire squad of players 6'9" in height. If we can play big and still spread the floor, we can invert the floor balance on the Big teams on offense, and still cover them on D.

It is interesting to think on.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#12 » by dlts20 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:38 am

We will end up with Schroeder, this season or next
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#13 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:30 am

Read on Twitter
Eli Babak
Senior
And1: 506

Post#14 » by Eli Babak » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:53 am

I'd target Tyus Jones in FA and draft a PG (any good prospects?).

Jones / 1st / Winston or veteran
Beal / KCP / Ayayi?
Kuzma / Avdija / Kispert
Porzingis / Hachimura / Todd
Gafford / (Porzingis) / veteran / Carey

KCP/Kuzma/Rui should be available for the right package assuming Avdija/Kispert finish the season strong.

Bryant is most likely gone.

Sato would also be a nice option but I guess he hates Washington and maybe he wouldn't be the greatest fit after all.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#15 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:12 am

Eli Babak wrote:I'd target Tyus Jones in FA and draft a PG (any good prospects?).

Jones / 1st / Winston or veteran
Beal / KCP / Ayayi?
Kuzma / Avdija / Kispert
Porzingis / Hachimura / Todd
Gafford / (Porzingis) / veteran / Carey

KCP/Kuzma/Rui should be available for the right package assuming Avdija/Kispert finish the season strong.

Bryant is most likely gone.

Sato would also be a nice option but I guess he hates Washington and maybe he wouldn't be the greatest fit after all.

Nah, he hated Scott Brooks. :lol:

Of course Tommy loves Sato... having scouted him.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#16 » by gambitx777 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:24 am

John wall or Westbrook if they catch a buy out.
Schroder, Rubio, dragic, tyus jones Are the obvious options.
We should have trade options with some TPE. We have a couple over vet min generated now. Both about 3 mill.
Kira Lewis Jr in NO is one to keep an eye on there he should fit into one of them and they might look to dump him coming off an injury.
Fultz might be a tradable option for us to get if we wanna take a flyer on him.
The grizz might want to retain Jones and might look to move off Melton that would be a good option to go after.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#17 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:44 am

Two plans - first plan is the same as everyone else's - sign Beal, sign the best PG you can and draft the best PG you can and run this group back next year.

If Beal wants to go to Boston for Marcus Smart and picks -
-trade Kuzma after he has the rest of this year to show his new triple-double game.
-trade KCP to the highest bidder - maybe a future first? The only reason he's not gone after the trade deadline, I think, is they hold out hope he'll help convince Beal to come back.
-trade Smart to the highest bidder - if nobody offers up anything good, just keep him. He's good defensively and should be a good tank commander. If/when he starts to pout, then trade him.
-keep Porzingis on the off chance he gets over his injuries. AFter seeing what his trade value is - Dinwiddie/Bertans (lol) - I definitely would rather keep him than get more guys like that.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:25 pm

What do I think will happen? I've got a hunch the Wiz go after Brogdon, and Indy does seem to be in somewhat of a rebuild mode - after trading Sabonis for Hali. Neither Beal or Brogdon are true PG's, but both have played the position and can be hybrid guards. What will it cost? Probably Rui and KCP (who Indy would flip) plus our FRP (trade completed after the draft to comply with Stepien rule). Would I do it? NOOO. Brogdon at 29 is probably a soon to be declining asset after several injuries, and his 3 point shooting has gone down much like Beal's. I definitely would not trade for Brogdon. I'd go the Tyus Jones for the MLE route and probably swingman Kendall Brown (assuming we pick 9th yet again) in the draft.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#19 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:31 pm

dlts20 wrote:We will end up with Schroeder, this season or next

No. We won't.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by nate33 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:35 pm

Eli Babak wrote:Sato would also be a nice option but I guess he hates Washington and maybe he wouldn't be the greatest fit after all.

Sato would fit nicely into our new "big lineup" strategy.

Return to Washington Wizards