The Russell Westbrook Trade

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

JD1357
Ballboy
And1: 5

The Russell Westbrook Trade 

Post#1 » by JD1357 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:02 pm

Laker fan here...I come in peace. :beer:

As you all undoubtedly know, the Lakers suck, and most Laker fans are putting the blame entirely on Westbrook.

I don't, but anyway...

I'm just wondering what you guys thought of the trade when it happened, and what you think now, and if you are happy with KCP and Kuzma, etc.

Peace out!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Re: The Russell Westbrook Trade 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:49 pm

9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#3 » by 9 and 20 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:35 am

Westbrook was a monster for us at the end of last year. Every night was must-see TV with him. Plus, he brought a level of competitiveness that we just never see in DC. We lose and our players don't give a crap. Russ gave a crap and that was refreshing.

I don't know how he fell off a cliff like this. He was almost as bad at the beginning of last year for us but the national media didn't really care because Wiz (lol). I thought for a while he might do the same thing in LA and pick up his play in the second half. Doesn't look like it's happening, though, unfortunately.

The Lakers guys have been fine. Most here are probably disappointed they weren't all traded for picks so we can really rebuild. Our owner refuses to do that. Also, part of that Lakers trade was us getting Dinwiddie, who has now been traded for Porzingis - and part of the KP trade was dumping Bertans which was a huge win for us. So, overall, a trading Russ to the Lakers was just a huge win for us. Unfortunate it looks like it wasn't a win-win trade - if not the sake of Lakers, then at least for Russ' sake.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#4 » by FAH1223 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:02 am

Read on Twitter

I find Tommy’s recollection of his convo with Russ kinda funny
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Post#5 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:13 am

The Clippers swept Russell Westbrook and his Lakers.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#6 » by payitforward » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:40 am

9 and 20 wrote:Westbrook was a monster for us at the end of last year. Every night was must-see TV with him. Plus, he brought a level of competitiveness that we just never see in DC. We lose and our players don't give a crap. Russ gave a crap and that was refreshing.

I don't know how he fell off a cliff like this. He was almost as bad at the beginning of last year for us but the national media didn't really care because Wiz (lol). I thought for a while he might do the same thing in LA and pick up his play in the second half. Doesn't look like it's happening, though, unfortunately.

The Lakers guys have been fine. Most here are probably disappointed they weren't all traded for picks so we can really rebuild. Our owner refuses to do that. Also, part of that Lakers trade was us getting Dinwiddie, who has now been traded for Porzingis - and part of the KP trade was dumping Bertans which was a huge win for us. So, overall, a trading Russ to the Lakers was just a huge win for us. Unfortunate it looks like it wasn't a win-win trade - if not the sake of Lakers, then at least for Russ' sake.

This is exactly correct -- best thing that happened here in a long time.

& it should really be thought of as a multi-part move: Wall & a protected pick for Westbrook who went for Kuzma, KCP, Harrell & the #22 pick. Then Harrell brought a R2 pick plus the expiring Ish Smith & Vernon Carey Jr. & the #22 pick was traded (foolishly IMO) for Aaron Holiday & the #31 pick, which was used (foolishly IMO) on Isaiah Todd.

So, in the end, it was Wall & his boat anchor contract, plus a protected pick, for Kuzma, KCP, Isaiah Todd, a R2 pick, Ish, VC Jr., & a little cash (in return for Holiday).

It's not that we got so much. It's that we got out from under John Wall's contract & gained flexibility. &, of course, it would have been much better if we'd simply used that #22 pick rather than flipping it away in the idiotic deal for Holiday -- which, btw, pretty much everyone here, except not me, was for!

In fairness, if we'd used the #31 on Ayo Dosunmu, it would look altogether different. Better yet, if we'd traded the #31 to OKC for the #34 & #36 (what the Knicks got for the #32) & proceeded to pick Herb Jones & Dosunmu, Tommy would look like a genius!

But... that's hindsight.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#7 » by FAH1223 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:23 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards