ImageImageImageImageImage

#SoWizards

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

#SoWizards 

Post#1 » by ozthegap » Mon Apr 4, 2022 12:04 pm

I can’t believe this thread doesn’t exist but how bout a thread to collect all things #SoWizards

I’ll start. Did you know that if you look up the list of top 25 longest playoff droughts for NBA teams, we make the list 3 times under our different team names. 11 years as the Baltimore Bullets, 8 years as the Washington Bullets, and 7 years as the Washington Wizards :nonono: #SoWizards
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,327

Re: #SoWizards 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Mon Apr 4, 2022 3:31 pm

For me, nothing in comparable to the fact that the Wizards haven't won 50 games in 42 years.

50 games is basically the threshold of when a team becomes relevant - having at least a long shot chance at a Finals appearance. The Wizards have not been relevant for literally 42 years. Jimmy freaking Carter was president that last time the Wizards were a contender. You could tell the history of the NBA for the last 4 decades, never mention the Wizards once, and your story would be totally complete.

Has any other team in any other sport gone through such a drought where they were never considered a serious contender for 40 years?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#3 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 4, 2022 4:13 pm

https://twitter.com/so_wizards

I thought this was about Kevin Broom's podcast
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#4 » by Halcyon » Mon Apr 4, 2022 5:26 pm

nate33 wrote:For me, nothing in comparable to the fact that the Wizards haven't won 50 games in 42 years.

50 games is basically the threshold of when a team becomes relevant - having at least a long shot chance at a Finals appearance. The Wizards have not been relevant for literally 42 years. Jimmy freaking Carter was president that last time the Wizards were a contender. You could tell the history of the NBA for the last 4 decades, never mention the Wizards once, and your story would be totally complete.

Has any other team in any other sport gone through such a drought where they were never considered a serious contender for 40 years?

It's actually remarkable. Even some of the bottom feeders of the NBA like Sacramento and Orlando have had more peak years recently.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#5 » by queridiculo » Mon Apr 4, 2022 6:08 pm

nate33 wrote:For me, nothing in comparable to the fact that the Wizards haven't won 50 games in 42 years.

Hey, at least we're not the Kings?

:-?

Imagine breaking a Clippers futility record.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,158

Post#6 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Mon Apr 4, 2022 9:23 pm

I was ticked that season we missed 50 by a game. Lost twice to a mediocre Heat team in two of the last three games. Started 2-8 ended 3-5, we were pretty nice in-between though. Too bad our bench was hot garbage other than Bojan. I really disliked Morris too because he just dogged it on defense so much despite a guy having a rep for defense.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#7 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Apr 4, 2022 11:45 pm

I mean, the Knicks are working hard to catch up. :D
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by nate33 » Tue Apr 5, 2022 12:00 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

The Knicks have had a bad run, but at least they were relevant in the 90's and had one outlier season in 2013.

The Knicks have been pretty freaking awful for the last 20 years, I must admit. They've only had 4 above .500 seasons out of the last 21. :lol:
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#9 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Apr 5, 2022 2:19 am

nate33 wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

The Knicks have had a bad run, but at least they were relevant in the 90's and had one outlier season in 2013.

The Knicks have been pretty freaking awful for the last 20 years, I must admit. They've only had 4 above .500 seasons out of the last 21. :lol:

This year's lotto aside, I think the Wiz are closer to a 50 win season than the Knicks. But I'm a KP-believer, so take that into account. :D
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#10 » by closg00 » Tue Apr 5, 2022 5:39 pm

A lot of the #sowizards stuff is sprinkled throughout the various threads, Tommy trading for Holiday/Todd being an example
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#11 » by 9 and 20 » Tue Apr 5, 2022 7:00 pm

An underrated entry into #SoWizards lore - Dwight Howard's tenure here. Signs for the MLE (plus a player option, of course) and then immediately gets ass surgery and is out for the year. Then, picks up his player option so we have to trade him for another garbage player. Dwight Howard all of a sudden gets better and contributes at least something to his next couple of teams. Probably nowhere near a top ten or even top 25 entry on this list. Still - so ridiculous. So Wizards.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#12 » by Frichuela » Tue Apr 5, 2022 7:36 pm

9 and 20 wrote:An underrated entry into #SoWizards lore - Dwight Howard's tenure here. Signs for the MLE (plus a player option, of course) and then immediately gets ass surgery and is out for the year. Then, picks up his player option so we have to trade him for another garbage player. Dwight Howard all of a sudden gets better and contributes at least something to his next couple of teams. Probably nowhere near a top ten or even top 25 entry on this list. Still - so ridiculous. So Wizards.

Agreed!

And how about:

Giving up a 1st to acquire Bogdanovic...as well as to get rid of Nicholson.. That first became Jarrett Allen and Bogdanovic was a 3-month rental :banghead:
Trading Kelly Oubre for the corpse of Ariza?
Trading Otto Porter for a rental of Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker???
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#13 » by FAH1223 » Tue Apr 5, 2022 8:13 pm

9 and 20 wrote:An underrated entry into #SoWizards lore - Dwight Howard's tenure here. Signs for the MLE (plus a player option, of course) and then immediately gets ass surgery and is out for the year. Then, picks up his player option so we have to trade him for another garbage player. Dwight Howard all of a sudden gets better and contributes at least something to his next couple of teams. Probably nowhere near a top ten or even top 25 entry on this list. Still - so ridiculous. So Wizards.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#14 » by miller31time » Tue Apr 5, 2022 11:32 pm

An obvious one but what the hell…

We drafted the poster-child for “First Overall Pick” busts - Kwame Brown.

#sowizards
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#15 » by 9 and 20 » Wed Apr 6, 2022 1:53 am

miller31time wrote:An obvious one but what the hell…

We drafted the poster-child for “First Overall Pick” busts - Kwame Brown.

#sowizards

It gets better though! Kwame gets famous again by getting into a flame war with Matt Barnes, then becomes a mouthpiece for MAGA world. I still remember his 30 and 19 game like it was yesterday. Who could have predicted?? #SoWiz.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#16 » by Benjammin » Wed Apr 6, 2022 2:10 am

I remember arguing that Kwame had more potential than Serge Ibaka.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 6, 2022 2:50 pm

Benjammin wrote:I remember arguing that Kwame had more potential than Serge Ibaka.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using RealGM mobile app

Hey, Kwame had a few games early on where he'd play about even with Tim Duncan and Jermaine O'Neal (in his prime). I think everyone believed in him to some degree at various points.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#18 » by Halcyon » Wed Apr 6, 2022 4:43 pm

I don't know if this really qualifies, but imagine if 2013 wasn't one of the weakest drafts in recent memory. Otto was a solid role player but having a #3 pick in a stronger draft was probably the best chance to have a way to build a 50+ win team with Wall, Beal and X. Of course, it doesn't mean EG would have made the correct pick in a stronger draft, but it's unfortunate that the draft class was so weak.
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#19 » by ozthegap » Thu Apr 7, 2022 5:35 am

Remember our fire sale after Gun gate. The pathetic haul we got back for Antwan Jamison and Caron Butler
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by nate33 » Thu Apr 7, 2022 12:09 pm

Frichuela wrote:Trading Otto Porter for a rental of Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker???

That actually turned out well for us. Dumping Porter when we did saved us 3 years of his horrible contract during which he barely ever played.

Return to Washington Wizards