ImageImageImageImageImage

New Wizards TV Broadcast: Chris Miller named Play-by-Play Voice; Meghan McPeak replaces him on sidelines for NBCSW

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Like the move?

YES
82%
NO
18%

Total votes: 11

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: Chris Miller named as new Wizards TV Play-by-Play Announcer for NBC Sports Washington 

Post#21 » by 80sballboy » Wed May 4, 2022 7:34 pm

doclinkin wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
Ah, Miller not being completely obnoxious is a handful of games he relieved Kutcher… give him a promotion, why not?

Right. There are better options, People are less excited about Miller than they were passionate about jettisoning Kutcher.

Probably a cost factor there as well. Hey, give Chris a promotion (not huge $$) and hire a cheaper, younger sidelines person.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Re: Chris Miller named as new Wizards TV Play-by-Play Announcer for NBC Sports Washington 

Post#22 » by FAH1223 » Thu May 5, 2022 1:54 am

80sballboy wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:
Ah, Miller not being completely obnoxious is a handful of games he relieved Kutcher… give him a promotion, why not?

Right. There are better options, People are less excited about Miller than they were passionate about jettisoning Kutcher.

Probably a cost factor there as well. Hey, give Chris a promotion (not huge $$) and hire a cheaper, younger sidelines person.

Meghan McPeak calls Mystics games and fills in as color analyst on the #RadioParty when Glenn Consor is doing TV.

She’s young, attractive, a former hooper, knows the game and is on payroll already.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,463

Re: New Wizards TV Broadcast: Chris Miller Named Play-by-Play Voice for NBC Sports Washington 

Post#23 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu May 5, 2022 11:59 am

While glad that Kornichiwa is gone, I’m actually excited about Miller. He’s pretty smooth, funny and knowledgeable. And he’ll grow.
In Rizzo we trust
FAH1223
RealGM

Re: New Wizards TV Broadcast: Chris Miller Named Play-by-Play Voice for NBC Sports Washington 

Post#24 » by FAH1223 » Thu May 12, 2022 5:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 547

Re: New Wizards TV Broadcast: Chris Miller Named Play-by-Play Voice for NBCSW 

Post#25 » by daSwami » Wed May 25, 2022 4:11 pm

I approve of this, but they got rid of the wrong guy. Miller seems like a decent guy, he's paid his dues and seems to have a good rapport with the players - not sure how any of that will translate into play-by-play skills, we'll see I guess.
:banghead:
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#26 » by badinage » Wed May 25, 2022 5:51 pm

But if this was motivated by Lady Macbeal, or done in deference to her or to him in any way, whether directly or indirectly — as a way to install a Bradley Beal favorite, a Bradley Beal mouthpiece, and appease the franchise player — then we NEED TO KNOW. And the soft, hands-off DC media fanboys NEED TO DO SOME WORK.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,298

Post#27 » by NatP4 » Wed May 25, 2022 6:03 pm

Man I totally forgot about Lawson being the analyst a few years back. She was great. This entire franchise needs a massive overhaul anyways. Kutcher&Gooden are morons. Would love to have an intelligent advanced understanding of the game up in the booth, and the front office/coaching staff for that matter.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#28 » by FAH1223 » Wed May 25, 2022 6:09 pm

NatP4 wrote:Man I totally forgot about Lawson being the analyst a few years back. She was great. This entire franchise needs a massive overhaul anyways. Kutcher&Gooden are morons. Would love to have an intelligent advanced understanding of the game up in the booth, and the front office/coaching staff for that matter.

Meghan McPeak is great on the radio
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,332

Post#29 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:45 pm

Miller is far more bearable as a play-by-play guy than as a side-line reporter. Less unctuous and smarmy. He also seems to have actual rapport with Drew so it comes off less forced than Sayonara Konichiwa Shabbat Shalom Kutcher.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 882

Post#30 » by badinage » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:36 pm

He’s been pretty good. A few language things here and there, but pretty good. It just feels like a homey, trying-for-the-bigs broadcast.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#31 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:50 am

doclinkin wrote:Miller is far more bearable as a play-by-play guy than as a side-line reporter. Less unctuous and smarmy. He also seems to have actual rapport with Drew so it comes off less forced than Sayonara Konichiwa Shabbat Shalom Kutcher.

For a guy who didn't do play-by-play outside of the times he filled in for Buckhantz and Kutcher over the last few years, Chris is pretty solid. He is a homer and when they were getting destroyed by the Nets, he and Drew were so laughable, but otherwise its been much better this season. I can tell he puts in the work of prep because he's knowledgeable about the opposing teams night after night.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#32 » by FAH1223 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,330

Re: New Wizards TV Broadcast: Chris Miller named Play-by-Play Voice; Meghan McPeak replaces him on sidelines for NBCSW 

Post#33 » by dobrojim » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:24 pm

Miller needs to pay a little more attention to what is actually happening. He's been somewhat error prone so far.
And understanding others may not see this negatively at all, I don't care for the gambling based use of "cashing out"
when a player makes a shot or does something good. I'm sure sponsor MGM loves it as it normalizes gambling
which I believe is a societal negative although better legal than illegal. But see Back to the Future II.
There are a myriad of other perfectly good expressions which could alternatively be used.
Miller is also a ridiculous Beal fanboy and major league homer. Could be argued that is a job
requirement across many teams in the NBA. They think fans are stupid.

I would not complain for a sec if CWS replaced Drew. His mantra of "you will be rewarded" has
grown tiresome. But he's better than he was a couple years ago when he 1st got the job.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,330

Re: New Wizards TV Broadcast: Chris Miller named Play-by-Play Voice; Meghan McPeak replaces him on sidelines for NBCSW 

Post#34 » by dobrojim » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:14 am

I guess the KP-BB combination wasn’t actually “insurmountable”.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#35 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:58 am

dobrojim wrote:Miller needs to pay a little more attention to what is actually happening. He's been somewhat error prone so far.
And understanding others may not see this negatively at all, I don't care for the gambling based use of "cashing out"
when a player makes a shot or does something good. I'm sure sponsor MGM loves it as it normalizes gambling
which I believe is a societal negative although better legal than illegal. But see Back to the Future II.
There are a myriad of other perfectly good expressions which could alternatively be used.
Miller is also a ridiculous Beal fanboy and major league homer. Could be argued that is a job
requirement across many teams in the NBA. They think fans are stupid.

I would not complain for a sec if CWS replaced Drew. His mantra of "you will be rewarded" has
grown tiresome. But he's better than he was a couple years ago when he 1st got the job.

Miller has always been an obsequious turd to the organization. How anybody ever thought he would be good baffles me. He always tries so hard to be chummy with players to the point of being unbecoming. But to be fair, he's just one of the reasons I never listen to the Wizard's team on League Pass, always listening to the away folks because I can't stand the arse kissing of veterans and Beal that the Ted-owned Comcast folks have always done, even before his acquisition of the affiliate.
trast66
Rookie
And1: 613

Post#36 » by trast66 » Sat Dec 3, 2022 4:13 pm

Eric Collins and Dell Curry for the Hornets are really good. I can’t think of a worse duo then Miller\Drew. I think we are stuck with them for a while, hope they work hard and get better but think Miller is a sideline guy and really does not know basketball.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#37 » by FAH1223 » Sat Dec 3, 2022 4:26 pm

trast66 wrote:Eric Collins and Dell Curry for the Hornets are really good. I can’t think of a worse duo then Miller\Drew. I think we are stuck with them for a while, hope they work hard and get better but think Miller is a sideline guy and really does not know basketball.

Read on Twitter
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,965

Post#38 » by DCZards » Sat Dec 3, 2022 4:54 pm

trast66 wrote:Eric Collins and Dell Curry for the Hornets are really good. I can’t think of a worse duo then Miller\Drew. I think we are stuck with them for a while, hope they work hard and get better but think Miller is a sideline guy and really does not know basketball.

I’m also hoping that the Miller/Gooden team gets better with experience. This is their first year together so improvement may come with time.

But there are some worse NBA broadcasting teams.
The Boston play-by-play guy Mike Gorman is solid but all of the Celtics color commentators are over the top homers. Tommy Heinsohn (RIP) was downright nauseating.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,965

Post#39 » by DCZards » Sat Dec 3, 2022 4:57 pm

I’m also hoping that the Miller/Gooden team gets better with experience. This is their first year together so improvement may come with time.

But there are some worse NBA broadcasting teams.
The Boston play-by-play guy Mike Gorman is solid but all of the Celtics color commentators are over the top homers. Tommy Heinsohn (RIP) was downright nauseating.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,865

Post#40 » by payitforward » Sun Dec 4, 2022 3:52 am

off topic, but fun anyway....

Read on Twitter
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards