What a word rockets OKC trade.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 8 

Post#303 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 2, 2022 2:45 am

Someone please explain this trade to me:

"Rockets today announced they have traded Sterling Brown, Trey Burke, Marquese Chriss, and David Nwaba to Oklahoma City in exchange for Derrick Favors, Maurice Harkless, Ty Jerome, Théo Maledon, a 2026 second round pick and cash considerations."

Note that OKC had acquired Harkless for Vit Krecji (whom they took with the 2020 R2 pick we traded to them, b/c we are draft-day idiots) the day before they traded him to Houston.

I note that the Rockets have 16 guys with guaranteed contracts. Plus they already have 2 guys signed to 2-way contracts.

In addition, they have options on Garrison Mathews & Kenyon Martin Jr. -- which they won't be able to pick up. I'd certainly like to have Martin instead of Todd....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#304 » by gambitx777 » Sun Oct 2, 2022 3:37 am

payitforward wrote:Someone please explain this trade to me:

"Rockets today announced they have traded Sterling Brown, Trey Burke, Marquese Chriss, and David Nwaba to Oklahoma City in exchange for Derrick Favors, Maurice Harkless, Ty Jerome, Théo Maledon, a 2026 second round pick and cash considerations."

Note that OKC had acquired Harkless for Vit Krecji (whom they took with the 2020 R2 pick we traded to them, b/c we are draft-day idiots) the day before they traded him to Houston.

I note that the Rockets have 16 guys with guaranteed contracts. Plus they already have 2 guys signed to 2-way contracts.

In addition, they have options on Garrison Mathews & Kenyon Martin Jr. -- which they won't be able to pick up. I'd certainly like to have Martin instead of Todd....
They are gonna eat money some where I can't see them letting Mathews or Martin go for nothing.

payitforward
RealGM

Post#305 » by payitforward » Sun Oct 2, 2022 5:05 pm

To be sure. More to the point, their situation will provide at least 1 team the opportunity to pick up a good player on the cheap.

I.e. we could send them Barton & Kuzma for Eric Gordon, Boban, TyTy Washington & Kenyon Martin Jr. -- we would then have to waive Boban, eating his salary. & waive Todd as well -- unless he can be traded for a R2 pick.

The downside is taking on Eric Gordon's $$ for this year & next. The upside is that we become a much younger team overall, future-oriented. & maybe Gordon could be traded at the deadline...?

I'm not proposing this in the trade thread, b/c I doubt anyone would like it. I'm just mulling over a way to profit from Houston's roster problem.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Post#306 » by nate33 » Sun Oct 2, 2022 10:36 pm

Tyler Herro just signed a 4-year $130M extension.

This is why I was never remotely tempted by any Miami trade package for Beal. Herro at $32.5M a year is not a good contract. It's far from certain whether the guy can even start for you in a playoff game because his defense is so suspect.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#307 » by payitforward » Mon Oct 3, 2022 2:19 am

I wonder... does anyone recall how many times I mentioned Kenneth Lofton Jr.?

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401474843
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#308 » by gambitx777 » Mon Oct 3, 2022 2:20 am

nate33 wrote:Tyler Herro just signed a 4-year $130M extension.

This is why I was never remotely tempted by any Miami trade package. Herro at $32.5M a year is not a good contract. It's far from certain whether the guy can even start for you in a playoff game because his defense is so suspect.
I see this as another Tyler Johnson move by the heat remember that deal.

Like Beal if healthy and playing at his normal level is at least a nurtral contract.

But I sturggle to see how Tyler can even be a net positive at all at that number.

Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#309 » by Tyrone Messby » Mon Oct 3, 2022 2:46 am

Remember when we could’ve drafted Tari Eason?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Post#310 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 3, 2022 2:54 am

payitforward wrote:I wonder... does anyone recall how many times I mentioned Kenneth Lofton Jr.?

I'll see your Kenny Lofton and raise you a Tari Eason:

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401474847

21 pts, 10 boards, 2 ast, 2 steals, 69% shooting, 50% from 3. 1TO, 2 fouls. +/- +14 in 21 minutes.

Looks like David Roddy played well in the Memphis game. That's a burly team, damn. Stocked with widebodies and bruisers. Tough guys who can hoop. They start Steven Adams (265lbs), then pull Xavier Tillman (245lbs), Kenny Lofton (270lbs) and David Roddy (252lbs) off the bench. If they could trade for Zion WIlliamson they'd have a complete offensive line.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#311 » by gambitx777 » Mon Oct 3, 2022 2:55 am

Tyrone Messby wrote:Remember when we could’ve drafted Tari Eason?
Remember when half the league could have drafted tari eason? I think Davis is gonna be fine sure the ideal thinklg would have been to trade back with OKC before they moved that 30 pick to Denver and gotten 30,34 and our first back next year before they traded that too. Maybe Davis fell all the way to 30 and he would look like a good steal at 30, we picked up jalyin Williams too and still too the kid from over season and we won the draft by getting our picks back. But Honda sight is just that.

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#312 » by closg00 » Mon Oct 3, 2022 11:41 am

payitforward wrote:I wonder... does anyone recall how many times I mentioned Kenneth Lofton Jr.?

I was completely wrong about him, I had visions of Hotplate Williams.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#313 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 4, 2022 12:48 am

gambitx777 wrote:
Remember when half the league could have drafted tari eason? I think Davis is gonna be fine sure the ideal thinklg would have been to trade back with OKC before they moved that 30 pick to Denver and gotten 30,34 and our first back next year before they traded that too. Maybe Davis fell all the way to 30 and he would look like a good steal at 30, we picked up jalyin Williams too and still too the kid from over season and we won the draft by getting our picks back. But Honda sight is just that.

Those who do not learn from the past repeat the past.
Those who do not admit their mistakes make them over & over.
Nor is this hindsight -- not in the slightest.

Hindsight is when you say "if I'd have been smart, I would have seen what a good prospect Tari Eason was."

Many of us *did* see that. In real time not hindsight.

Just as some of us saw, in real time, what good prospects Brandon Clarke, Matisse Thybulle, Grant Williams, Keldon Johnson & Daniel Gafford were in 2019. & suggested ways to turn the pick we used on Rui into at least 3 of those players.

& just as a few of us saw what a good prospect Tyrese Halliburton was in 2020. & Desmond Bane. & Xavier Tillman. & suggested that we should pick Halliburton, & mentioned that Bane could have been ours if we'd taken the pick offered us for Bertans, & called on us to trade up for Tlllman.

& just as some of us thought it was idiotic to trade a #22 pick for Aaron Holiday & a #31, & that -- if you'd made that dumb trade you could at least have turned it into the #34 & #36 to pick up Dosunmu & Herb Jones (or 2 other prospects).

All that said, of course Johnny Davis may be "fine," whatever that means.

What it doesn't mean is that picking Johnny Davis at #10 in the 2022 draft was a smart choice. It wasn't. & many of us said so right on the spot. Nor was "trading back with OKC" the only good way to use the pick. It wasn't even the best way, IMO.

And anyway, if you screw up 9 drafts in a row (as we have done from 2014 - 2022), you sure as h*ll better expect people to mention the fact!

& if you've been a 30-something win team (as we have been the last 5 years -- &, on average, the last dozen or more years!) maybe it's time to start looking at what you are doing wrong, don't you think?
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Post#314 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 4, 2022 12:53 am

Honda sight. Ha!

There's an 'Acura' joke in there but I'm no Ruzious.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#315 » by gambitx777 » Tue Oct 4, 2022 3:14 am

payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

Those who do not learn from the past repeat the past.
Those who do not admit their mistakes make them over & over.
Nor is this hindsight -- not in the slightest.

Hindsight is when you say "if I'd have been smart, I would have seen what a good prospect Tari Eason was."

Many of us *did* see that. In real time not hindsight.

Just as some of us saw, in real time, what good prospects Brandon Clarke, Matisse Thybulle, Grant Williams, Keldon Johnson & Daniel Gafford were in 2019. & suggested ways to turn the pick we used on Rui into at least 3 of those players.

& just as a few of us saw what a good prospect Tyrese Halliburton was in 2020. & Desmond Bane. & Xavier Tillman. & suggested that we should pick Halliburton, & mentioned that Bane could have been ours if we'd taken the pick offered us for Bertans, & called on us to trade up for Tlllman.

& just as some of us thought it was idiotic to trade a #22 pick for Aaron Holiday & a #31, & that -- if you'd made that dumb trade you could at least have turned it into the #34 & #36 to pick up Dosunmu & Herb Jones (or 2 other prospects).

All that said, of course Johnny Davis may be "fine," whatever that means.

What it doesn't mean is that picking Johnny Davis at #10 in the 2022 draft was a smart choice. It wasn't. & many of us said so right on the spot. Nor was "trading back with OKC" the only good way to use the pick. It wasn't even the best way, IMO.

And anyway, if you screw up 9 drafts in a row (as we have done from 2014 - 2022), you sure as h*ll better expect people to mention the fact!

& if you've been a 30-something win team (as we have been the last 5 years -- &, on average, the last dozen or more years!) maybe it's time to start looking at what you are doing wrong, don't you think?
We agree most of the time on our draft put looks. I wanted to trade back just as much as you did and thought Jonny Davis would look much better at 15-20 or below. But I hate this cherry picking of history. Grant Williams wasn't mentioned until he got more playing time for Boston this past year and when I mentioned trading for him in the past people **** on that. But not that's he's looking better he's the missing piece out **** gm could have drafted. You always mention Brandon Clarke but you also use to mention Michel Porter JR. You don't any more? Because he's injury prone and he's on one of the worst contract in the league and doesn't support your argument anymore.

I'm not saying the conclusion is wrong. We could have drafted better but that's true for almost 20 teams every single year. I just don't think cheery picking dude who well out preformed there draft position and saying we should have taken them 30 spots over guys who were rated at the spots where we took them. I just don't like the argument. I'm not saying you're wrong.

BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#316 » by BearlyBallin » Fri Oct 7, 2022 6:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=Tl7DLqcGqe_2ka4L-t1eXg

The bonding trip to Japan didn’t do much for the Warriors I guess.
Hope it turns out better for our guys.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=RufRgEh_3P_J6av_2MdVYA
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#317 » by FAH1223 » Fri Oct 7, 2022 7:32 pm

I lowkey said let's just draft him at 10. You know what you're getting.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#318 » by FAH1223 » Fri Oct 7, 2022 7:42 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=Tl7DLqcGqe_2ka4L-t1eXg

The bonding trip to Japan didn’t do much for the Warriors I guess.
Hope it turns out better for our guys.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=RufRgEh_3P_J6av_2MdVYA

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM

Post#319 » by payitforward » Fri Oct 7, 2022 9:41 pm

doclinkin wrote:

I'll see your Kenny Lofton and raise you a Tari Eason:

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401474847

21 pts, 10 boards, 2 ast, 2 steals, 69% shooting, 50% from 3. 1TO, 2 fouls. +/- +14 in 21 minutes.

Looks like David Roddy played well in the Memphis game. That's a burly team, damn. Stocked with widebodies and bruisers. Tough guys who can hoop. They start Steven Adams (265lbs), then pull Xavier Tillman (245lbs), Kenny Lofton (270lbs) and David Roddy (252lbs) off the bench. If they could trade for Zion WIlliamson they'd have a complete offensive line.

:)
Memphis won the game, & all in all the rookies looked good, for sure. That said, LaRavia, Roddy, Lofton & Chandler also combined for 13 turnovers! :)

Eason is a phenom. & you mentioned him first. I just followed up by looking at his numbers & video & agreeing a thousand per cent. He looks like he'll be a great player.

Getting him at #17... that looks like the highest-value draft pick since SA nabbed Kawhi at 15 & the Bulls got Butler at 30. I can't think of any comparable value grab since then.... Well... I guess Giannis too, huh? :)

Speaking of value, have you seen what my guy Nathan Knight has been doing for Minny so far this pre-season? In 26 minutes, he has 25 points on 12 shots & 12 FTAs, plus 10 rebounds & 3 assists. :)
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#320 » by FAH1223 » Sat Oct 8, 2022 5:51 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards