Total votes: 3

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Re: OT: So… Ted Leonsis wants to buy the Nationals 

Post#21 » by Kanyewest » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:46 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
queridiculo wrote:DC Sports doomed for all eternity.

I dunno. He lucked into championships with the Caps, Mystics, and his silly eSports team. Plus the indoor football thingamabob. Shoot, I'd take Leonsis running the local NFL franchise over the current douch3bag. I bet he would have overpaid to keep Bryce Harper, and probably would have ante'd up on Soto. Ted's deal is overpaying for loyalty and his homegrown guys. Even if that gets in the way of other considerations.

Pretty sure we wouldn’t have won a WS had we overpaid for Harper. We wouldn’t have had room under the cap to sign Corbin, who now stinks but was the final piece to the puzzle in 2019.

And trading Soto was ridiculously hard to do but necessary. Over the years, we’d done deadline deal after deadline deal to get a legit WS contender. We needed to replenish the farm to have any chance of scaling the mountain again.

I’m quite close to 100% certain that Ted Leonsis would be an abject failure as owner of the Nats.

The Commodes on the other hand. Yes, can he purchase them tomorrow pretty please.

Corbin was one of the finalist for the CY Young- and maybe the Nationals don't make the playoffs. Although aside for a couple of bullpen appearances, Corbin was kind of garbage in the postseason.

Shouldn't the farm system have been replenished with Scherzer/Turner from last season plus others anyway?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,667

Post#22 » by penbeast0 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:29 pm

Think positively. Maybe he needs to raise money to buy the Nats so he sells the Wiz.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#23 » by FAH1223 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:38 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Think positively. Maybe he needs to raise money to buy the Nats so he sells the Wiz.

The rumors online is that Laurene Powell-Jobs would be much more involved with the Wizards and Mystics...

She's the 2nd largest partner of MSE...I think she has a 20% stake and theoretically if she ever wanted to, she could just buy Ted out. :lol:
lastemp3ror
Junior
And1: 107

Post#24 » by lastemp3ror » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:22 pm

Going from the Lerner's to Leonsis would be a step in the wrong direction. This would pretty much seal the fate of all the professional franchises in Washington of never being a championship-caliber team between Snyder and Leonsis owning them all.

In regards to Leonsis winning a championship with the Capitals, he lucked into it. The way I see it is, how does he not have more than one championship with a player who is arguably one of the best to ever do it?

As the saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#25 » by Wizardspride » Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:31 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=EbVk7p0EuGZmGdEQB0q56w&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#26 » by gambitx777 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:26 am

lastemp3ror wrote:Going from the Lerner's to Leonsis would be a step in the wrong direction. This would pretty much seal the fate of all the professional franchises in Washington of never being a championship-caliber team between Snyder and Leonsis owning them all.

In regards to Leonsis winning a championship with the Capitals, he lucked into it. The way I see it is, how does he not have more than one championship with a player who is arguably one of the best to ever do it?

As the saying goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
That's just hater talk. The caps have been good for ages. Overall a great hockey team. Lucked into a cup my ass that year was legit and they could have won it several of these last few years.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#27 » by Endless Loop » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:32 pm

More about the Lerners than Ted-

The Lerners deserve a LOT of criticism for how they've handled the Nats last couple of years.

Their payroll this year is just over $100 million, and of that $59 million is owed to Corbin and Strasburg. They basically have gutted the franchise. They've traded off some of the best players in the game. No significant free agent signings.

Take away Corbin and Strasburg (who they couldn't dump) and the Nationals are WORSE- by quite a bit- even than the A's in what they spend on the product they put on the field. The A's payroll this year is $52 million. The Nats, minus the big two, are $43 million. Pretty amazing.

I understand that commercial real estate sucks right now, but if the Lerners can't afford to own a team, they need to sell. And it's not OK to take two years of half-hearted effort at the sale. If the offers aren't good enough, then they need to invest in putting a decent product on the field.

We cut them slack because of the WS win. But based on the last couple of years, the Lerners deserve more criticism than Snyder or Leonsis.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

Post#28 » by Rafael122 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:56 pm

I still don't get the hate for Leonsis, I mean the Nats/Wizards etc could do a lot worse than him.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#29 » by gambitx777 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:19 am

In sports where teams matter more than generational talents it's hard to build a dynasty. The nats were good. Won A tittle, been competitive. But, it's hard to make money and have a really high caliber team for a long time. Monumental and Ted have the deep pockets to **** it let Ted do it.

Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,236

Post#30 » by Godymas » Wed May 10, 2023 12:57 pm

It's annoying that the Caps were able to win not too long ago because basically it inflated Ted's own ego in terms of being an owner and let him double down on his own strategy.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#31 » by Tyrone Messby » Wed May 10, 2023 3:38 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I still don't get the hate for Leonsis, I mean the Nats/Wizards etc could do a lot worse than him.

This is sarcasm right? The Wizards have been the WORST NBA franchise since he took over outside of the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets. 0 conference title appearances and that clown didn’t do more to help our prime Ovechkin with better coaching and defense over the years. The Caps should’ve had 2-3 titles with a once in a generation type talent like the great 8. The Nats would be terrible under Leonsis.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

Post#32 » by Rafael122 » Wed May 10, 2023 3:42 pm

Tyrone Messby wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:I still don't get the hate for Leonsis, I mean the Nats/Wizards etc could do a lot worse than him.

This is sarcasm right? The Wizards have been the WORST NBA franchise since he took over outside of the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets. 0 conference title appearances and that clown didn’t do more to help our prime Ovechkin with better coaching and defense over the years. The Caps should’ve had 2-3 titles with a once in a generation type talent like the great 8. The Nats would be terrible under Leonsis.

I'm talking more of the person. He's not worse than Snyder, not even by a longshot. I agree his management and lack of awareness is terrible but folks here making it seem like Ted's the worse of the worse.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#33 » by gambitx777 » Thu May 11, 2023 2:12 am

Tyrone Messby wrote:

That is just blatantly untrue.

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#34 » by payitforward » Thu May 11, 2023 2:40 am

gambitx777 wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:

How far from the bottom would you put the Wizards?

Over the last 15 years, the Washington Wizards have averaged just under 34 wins a year (on an 82-game season).

How many NBA teams have been worse in that stretch?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#35 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:23 am

I believe this is what Ted was waiting on.

Read on Twitter
?t=bLk3Re0H5fV9ww12d4QSVw&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#36 » by ozthegap » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:03 am

payitforward wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:
Tyrone Messby wrote:This is sarcasm right? The Wizards have been the WORST NBA franchise since he took over outside of the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets. 0 conference title appearances and that clown didn’t do more to help our prime Ovechkin with better coaching and defense over the years. The Caps should’ve had 2-3 titles with a once in a generation type talent like the great 8. The Nats would be terrible under Leonsis.

How far from the bottom would you put the Wizards?

Over the last 15 years, the Washington Wizards have averaged just under 34 wins a year (on an 82-game season).

How many NBA teams have been worse in that stretch?

Detroit and Orlando maybe

Return to Washington Wizards