ImageImageImageImageImage

Media on the Wizards thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Media on the Wizards thread 

Post#1 » by keynote » Fri Jun 3, 2022 11:32 pm

While we occasionally dust off the "Wizards in the Media" thread to discuss the ways the media covers the Wizards, we don't have a single thread for discussion about the members of media that covers the Wizards.

To kick things off: The Athletic's Joshua Robbins has been getting into it with board favorite BetMGM's Quentin Mayo over attribution etiquette on Twitter:

Read on Twitter
?t=1Xd2Vr8uCPN2WmBQnPANRQ&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=Ujw_tYtRAEKzs4XrV2E5fQ&s=19

WaPo's Ava Wallace retweeted the second one, as did a Commanders beat reporter for the Washington Times.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Re: Media on the Wizards thread 

Post#2 » by AFM » Sat Jun 4, 2022 12:39 am

Is he related to OJ Mayo?
Jay81
Starter
And1: 480

Post#3 » by Jay81 » Sat Jun 4, 2022 4:26 am

AFM wrote:Is he related to OJ Mayo?
He is the adopted son of Mr and Mrs Beal
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,359

Post#4 » by doclinkin » Sat Jun 4, 2022 12:16 pm

Jay81 wrote:
He is the adopted son of Mr and Mrs Beal

HAH!
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#5 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jun 4, 2022 3:12 pm

Jerod Mayo who played and now coaches for the NE Patriots is his cousin
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#6 » by 9 and 20 » Sat Jun 4, 2022 6:15 pm

Mayo just seems like a kid who is trying to make a name for himself. He got spanked for not knowing the twitter rules by two young reports trying to make names for themselves.

I miss the days of full court press on channel 4. George Michael yelling nonsensically. Wilbon and Kornheiser both mostly hated the Wiz, lol. Kornheiser coined the 9-20 thing so I kind have to love him. I think he hated the Wiz for their incompetence and I can respect that.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#7 » by penbeast0 » Sat Jun 4, 2022 9:29 pm

I think he also coined the phrase "Curse of Les Boulez" which was fun (or as fun as it gets making fun of a dysfunctional franchise).
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
keynote
General Manager

Post#8 » by keynote » Sun Jun 5, 2022 12:41 am

9 and 20 wrote:Mayo just seems like a kid who is trying to make a name for himself. He got spanked for not knowing the twitter rules by two young reports trying to make names for themselves.

I miss the days of full court press on channel 4. George Michael yelling nonsensically. Wilbon and Kornheiser both mostly hated the Wiz, lol. Kornheiser coined the 9-20 thing so I kind have to love him. I think he hated the Wiz for their incompetence and I can respect that.
Kornheiser is from NY, I believe, but adopted DC teams by dint of being in the area for a while. Wilbon, in contrast, continues to root for his Chicago teams.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
keynote
General Manager

Post#9 » by keynote » Sun Jun 5, 2022 12:44 am

On a side note: I'm fine with Joshua Robbins standing up for himself. But as an Athletic reader, I miss Fred Katz. He hosted the best Wizards podcast around. Robbins has picked up Katz's slack with his beat writing, but he's not quite there as a podcaster, as evidenced by his guest appearance on Bleavin (or was it Locked on Wizards? I forget which one).
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#10 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jun 5, 2022 12:56 am

keynote wrote:On a side note: I'm fine with Joshua Robbins standing up for himself. But as an Athletic reader, I miss Fred Katz. He hosted the best Wizards podcast around. Robbins has picked up Katz's slack with his beat writing, but he's not quite there as a podcaster, as evidenced by his guest appearance on Bleavin (or was it Locked on Wizards? I forget which one).

I don't know enough about Josh Robbins, but he was irrelevant to me until he Tweeted that Q was stealing his stuff. Katz was good at his job and is a much more exciting guy. Nowadays, you have to be more than a good writer. Especially at The Athletic, you need to Tweet and elevate your brand by doing podcasts. Maybe he'll pick it up more this year. Basically just got here.
9 and 20
Rookie

Post#11 » by 9 and 20 » Sun Jun 5, 2022 1:49 am

penbeast0 wrote:I think he also coined the phrase "Curse of Les Boulez" which was fun (or as fun as it gets making fun of a dysfunctional franchise).

He also made fun of Susan O'Malley. LaSooz was the OG 1990's urinal cake queen - tasked with prettying up some straight garbage. We had a good run for a minute or two with Webber, Howard, and Strickland, but in the end, we were still the Bullets.
9 and 20
Rookie

Post#12 » by 9 and 20 » Sun Jun 5, 2022 1:51 am

80sballboy wrote:
keynote wrote:On a side note: I'm fine with Joshua Robbins standing up for himself. But as an Athletic reader, I miss Fred Katz. He hosted the best Wizards podcast around. Robbins has picked up Katz's slack with his beat writing, but he's not quite there as a podcaster, as evidenced by his guest appearance on Bleavin (or was it Locked on Wizards? I forget which one).

I don't know enough about Josh Robbins, but he was irrelevant to me until he Tweeted that Q was stealing his stuff. Katz was good at his job and is a much more exciting guy. Nowadays, you have to be more than a good writer. Especially at The Athletic, you need to Tweet and elevate your brand by doing podcasts. Maybe he'll pick it up more this year. Basically just got here.

These guys and gals need to be graded on a curve. Wiz beat is a tough one. Keeping it light and interesting for the average reader, after 40 years of losing, is impossible now so they write for the die-hard, RealGM Wiz board crowd. We're not an easy bunch to keep happy. We thrive on the pain that is being a Wiz fan.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 251

Post#13 » by gesa2 » Sun Jun 5, 2022 4:09 pm

9 and 20 wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

These guys and gals need to be graded on a curve. Wiz beat is a tough one. Keeping it light and interesting for the average reader, after 40 years of losing, is impossible now so they write for the die-hard, RealGM Wiz board crowd. We're not an easy bunch to keep happy. We thrive on the pain that is being a Wiz fan.

That’s true. Katz was a treat while he was here though. Gave a lot of thought to the team, asked original questions. His writing and podcast were really good. Robbins is … fine. Writes the sentences you already know if you care about the team for the most part, rarely adds to the conversation. More of a reporter than an analyst. Likes the “one coach one scout one assistant GM” quote pieces.

Return to Washington Wizards