ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Johnny Davis Thread!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Re: The Official Johnny Davis Thread! 

Post#121 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 8, 2022 5:40 pm

Great to see all this optimism about Johnny Davis -- both here & in the press. Can't wait to watch the kid tomorrow!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#122 » by FAH1223 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:10 am

Terrible debut. Liked his defensive intensity at the comeback part of the game.

He can’t create space and his average athleticism shows against the Pistons SL squad.

Sigh.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#123 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:54 am

FAH1223 wrote:Terrible debut. Liked his defensive intensity at the comeback part of the game.

He can’t create space and his average athleticism shows against the Pistons SL squad.

Sigh.
He looks hesitant. Like butterfly's there were several times where you could see his wheels turning. I think he was just nerves.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#124 » by tleikheen » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:56 am

Its ok to start slow ,Kispert got stronger by the month in better production. Now expectations of Davis grabbing a starting position or even a rotation spot can be put on hold. Kispert is a sniper which the Wiz need more of and if he forces himself into more playing time it will be at SG. This could push Beal into sharing the backcourt with Kispert. The last 22 gms ( 2 months) Kispert shot 52/132 for 39 per cent. Kispert is going to be allowed to shoot his way into the lineup and it wont be at SF which already has Avidja and Kuzma there. Kispert earning playing time alongside Beal opens the door for a 3 headed threesome of Avidja ,Kuzma ,Hachimura playing equal minutes at the forward position. Then the length of the Wiz and all the 1st round picks are getting minutes on the court.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#125 » by queridiculo » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:46 am

I liked every pick 11-17 better than Davis, but you can’t really judge these guys after one game.

Of course what puzzles me more than anything, what’s with the Wizards obsession playing their rookies out of position?

You’d think these guys did their homework and know exactly whom they picked.

Johnny Davis is not a small forward, stop it.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#126 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:57 am

FAH1223 wrote:Terrible debut. Liked his defensive intensity at the comeback part of the game.

Sigh.
Tari Eason...

Sent from my SM-A536U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#127 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:53 pm

queridiculo wrote:I liked every pick 11-17 better than Davis, but you can’t really judge these guys after one game....

Right. &, really, it's not about whether every single pick winds up better than Davis -- which would be a very unlikely result anyway.

For that matter, there's no reason to think that Davis was a reach. We took him more or less where he had been mocked. & there were plenty of people who liked him a lot & some who didn't -- as with any prospect. Plus, again as with any prospect, how he works out long-term is an open question. & it's not something a GM can know when he makes a pick.

The question about the draft is whether we got the most potential value out of it given what assets & tools we were able to bring to bear. I.e. it's all about how Tommy managed the draft, & we can't blame Johnny Davis for that! :)

But after 4 drafts it is now pretty clear that Tommy doesn't bring much imagination to this part of his job. Who knows why? For sure, however, it's not Johnny's fault!

No reason why Johnny Davis can't work out to be a really good NBA player!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#128 » by doclinkin » Sun Jul 10, 2022 3:49 pm

payitforward wrote:But after 4 drafts it is now pretty clear that Tommy doesn't bring much imagination to this part of his job. Who knows why?

I swear the answer is "Character". He likes nice guys who interview well.
NiteOwl
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#129 » by NiteOwl » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:13 pm

I hope he doesn't have Otto's passive gene - if he does he is never gonna be more than a 2nd stringer...
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#130 » by Dat2U » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:14 pm

doclinkin wrote:
payitforward wrote:But after 4 drafts it is now pretty clear that Tommy doesn't bring much imagination to this part of his job. Who knows why?

I swear the answer is "Character". He likes nice guys who interview well.

Yep. Guys he can hold a good convo with. Its like the Wizards approach the draft judging a personality contest. They looking for the guy that professes to be the hardest worker and most receptive to coaching. Without the awareness to recognize that a prospect's actual skill level is often an indicator of these.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,110

Post#131 » by J-Ves » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:30 pm

I’m no draft guru but just watching Davis’ YouTube highlights don’t look 10th pick worthy. So much of his offense was settling for a long 2 or getting bailed out with questionable calls at the rim. Clearly not a playmaker. I’m sure he can make it in the league as a Garret Temple 3nD type but his 3 point shot will need plenty of time to develop. Not exactly a thrilling prospect
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#132 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:22 pm

J-Ves wrote:I’m no draft guru but just watching Davis’ YouTube highlights don’t look 10th pick worthy. So much of his offense was settling for a long 2 or getting bailed out with questionable calls at the rim. Clearly not a playmaker. I’m sure he can make it in the league as a Garret Temple 3nD type but his 3 point shot will need plenty of time to develop. Not exactly a thrilling prospect
There are plenty of years where people would be thrilled to get Garret temple with the tenth pick oveer some of the guys in the draft on certain years.

I look at him and see a young Wesley Matthews. I think he has some work to be that good of a 3 pt shooter but I see that defence in his game and that scoring style.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,315

Post#133 » by NatP4 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:45 pm

J-Ves wrote:I’m no draft guru but just watching Davis’ YouTube highlights don’t look 10th pick worthy. So much of his offense was settling for a long 2 or getting bailed out with questionable calls at the rim. Clearly not a playmaker. I’m sure he can make it in the league as a Garret Temple 3nD type but his 3 point shot will need plenty of time to develop. Not exactly a thrilling prospect

The playmaking develops down the road for a number of those combo guard score first guys. Donovan Mitchell averaged 2.2 assists in college and 3.7 as a rookie in the nba. Now he’s a consistent 5+ assist guy. Demar Derozan averaged less than 2 assists in college and his first 3 years in the NBA, now he’s a 7 assist guy. Devin Booker averaged 1.1 assists in college and 2.6 as a rookie, now a 5-6 assist guy. Jamal Murray actually averaged more turnovers than assists in college and only 2.1 assists as a rookie.

With guys that can get to the rim off the bounce and handle the ball like lead guard, it’s one of those things that is a sure bet to improve with experience, as the game slows down.

And once again, you have to have context on his time at Wisconsin. He was playing against big time competition and dragging a team full of future accountants to a share of the big 10 regular season title. The offense was horrendous, there was no spacing. They ranked near the bottom in the country on just about every offensive category. Davis was like Lebron on the cavs when Love and Irving were out, going up against GS.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#134 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:39 pm

NatP4 wrote:(Davis) was ...dragging a team full of future accountants to a share of the big 10 regular season title. ...

:) -- it's very hard for a teammate to play well with a pencil behind his ear!
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#135 » by Frichuela » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:20 pm

This is one of the biggest concerns with Davis: his lack of elite first step. The defender was expecting him not to shoot. I hope the Wiz coaching staff are in his ear telling him that he’s got to take and make those open ones and then (and only then) drives will open up.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=Lh6NNn4AUNbzWTXvFHOSPQ
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#136 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:57 pm

Frichuela wrote:This is one of the biggest concerns with Davis: his lack of elite first step. The defender was expecting him not to shoot. I hope the Wiz coaching staff are in his ear telling him that he’s got to take and make those open ones and then (and only then) drives will open up.

Read on Twitter

Yeah, Johnny should pull that 3. He's got the space.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#137 » by Dark Faze » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:58 pm

My only concern is him not playing this year. You shouldn't be playing first round talent in the G-League beyond a very limited amount of time if you can avoid it. Otherwise, why the **** did you pick said player?
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#138 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:10 pm

Dark Faze wrote:My only concern is him not playing this year. You shouldn't be playing first round talent in the G-League beyond a very limited amount of time if you can avoid it. Otherwise, why the **** did you pick said player?

There should be no shame putting your rookie in the G-League.

If he can't crack the rotation, I'd definitely put him there.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#139 » by Frichuela » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:27 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:My only concern is him not playing this year. You shouldn't be playing first round talent in the G-League beyond a very limited amount of time if you can avoid it. Otherwise, why the **** did you pick said player?

There should be no shame putting your rookie in the G-League.

If he can't crack the rotation, I'd definitely put him there.

Agreed. Johnny Davis needs to play and is clear he'll be the odd man out to start the season as the top-10 players in the rotation look obvious. Below it's how I'd do the rotation...though I fear Wes will over-play Burton much more..

Morris (26)/Wright (22)
Beal (34)/Burton (14)
Deni (26)/Kispert (14)/Burton (8)
Kuzma (28)/Rui (20)
Porzinga (30)/Gafford (18)
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#140 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:37 pm

Frichuela wrote:This is one of the biggest concerns with Davis: his lack of elite first step. The defender was expecting him not to shoot. I hope the Wiz coaching staff are in his ear telling him that he’s got to take and make those open ones and then (and only then) drives will open up.

Read on Twitter

While I agree with the criticisms of him not having a great first step may be valid- that play itself isn't that bad. He tried to get a pump fake to get an easy basket but it didn't work which happens all the time. Then he sets up his teammate with an open 3 pointer from the corner which could have been a better look than the one he attempted.

Return to Washington Wizards