ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official Johnny Davis Thread!

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Re: The Official Johnny Davis Thread! 

Post#141 » by NatP4 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:44 pm

From what I have seen, his first step looks really good. He gets to the rim every time he drives, just hasn’t finished well. There’s not much deception in his game yet, kinda just drops his head and drives to score. The jumpshot and the playmaking will need to develop to open up the lane to drive.

The good thing is that he’s not going to be asked to be a primary scoring threat anytime soon. All of the other stuff like defense and competitiveness and basketball IQ look good. That’s the stuff that gets him on the court and let’s him contribute from day 1.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#142 » by dckingsfan » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:26 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:My only concern is him not playing this year. You shouldn't be playing first round talent in the G-League beyond a very limited amount of time if you can avoid it. Otherwise, why the **** did you pick said player?

There should be no shame putting your rookie in the G-League.

If he can't crack the rotation, I'd definitely put him there.

This. Leave him, Carey and Todd there the entire year (or two in some cases). I would much rather see him get big PT and work on his game in the G-League than wither away at the end of the bench.

When we are officially out of the running (game 50?) - you can sit Barton and let him play some minutes behind Beal.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#143 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:37 pm

Troy Brown played 11 games in the g-league in his rookie season. It's an option to explore if Johnny Davis is completely left out of the rotation. Although it will interesting to see if Davis gets a chance to play because of his defense- not to mention mabe he'll work on his 3 point shot during the next few months in the offseason.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#144 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:07 pm

Kanyewest wrote:Troy Brown played 11 games in the g-league in his rookie season. It's an option to explore if Johnny Davis is completely left out of the rotation. Although it will interesting to see if Davis gets a chance to play because of his defense- not to mention mabe he'll work on his 3 point shot during the next few months in the offseason.

Primo spent some time in the g league last season. Unless Davis is significantly better than I expect out of the gates, it makes sense to jump him back and forth a bit, particularly for Gogo home games.
Bucket! Bucket!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#145 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:44 am

Of course it does! Why not? Real games, real competition, can't be a bad thing!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Post#146 » by AFM » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:51 am

I don't see the value on sending anyone to the Gogo as the Wizards are practically a G league team already
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,880

Post#147 » by Frichuela » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:48 pm

Per John Hollinger, Davis was the biggest disappointment in Summer League amongst lottery prospects:

"Johnny Davis, Washington: Look, I was down on him heading into the draft, but I wasn’t this down on him. Davis played three games for the Wizards and never got going, shooting 8 of 27 and making a limited impact in the other box score categories. Washington had him mostly playing off the ball, which also was how he played at Wisconsin, but it was odd to see how uninvolved he was given the lottery pick investment in him. Overall, his 4.9 PER was the third-worst of any draftee in summer league, and the other two weren’t lottery picks.

The greater question resulting from his performance is the one of what his differentiating skill is at the pro level. He can jump and defend but he doesn’t have a point guard’s handle, is not a knockdown 3-point shooter and the midrangers he subsisted on in college are much tougher looks against NBA length. Perhaps his struggles in Vegas only end up as a mere blip, but perhaps it’s a sign of something more serious."
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#148 » by closg00 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:17 pm

Is this one of you guys?
The Consiglieri
Sixth Man
And1: 500

Post#149 » by The Consiglieri » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:24 pm

On the positive side, this is good news for the '22-'23 tank :)
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 871

Post#150 » by badinage » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:08 pm

closg00 wrote:Is this one of you guys?

It’s a dude on Twitter. Dialante.

Likes the Wizards, has the passion, but — and? — is always brooding, fretting, bitching, agitating, questioning, obsessing, gnashing his teeth.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#151 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:39 am

He looks more like me than one of my sons.

Sent from my SM-A536U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#152 » by barelyawake » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:20 pm

The thing is there are three positives out of this:

A) As I have stated, Beal and KP need a more pass first guy. And we need more of a defender.

B) Beal struggled early in his career with getting to the hoop, until he learned speed changes and fakes.

C) Beal has already stepped up as a leader and begun handing down alpha to Davis (a process we want to happen for many reasons).

Here’s the bad news:
Part of why Beal’s “trying too hard” flopped last year is the rule changes. Beal, and now Davis, will no longer get the benefit of the ref whistle when blindly barreling into defenders. Not that Beal, as a wizard, could ever reliably depend on the refs (especially when games mattered in the playoffs against bigger stars).
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,961

Post#153 » by FAH1223 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:09 pm

badinage wrote:

It’s a dude on Twitter. Dialante.

Likes the Wizards, has the passion, but — and? — is always brooding, fretting, bitching, agitating, questioning, obsessing, gnashing his teeth.

Yup

Tiring to watch after a couple videos
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#154 » by WallToWall » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:31 pm

Do we have any news regarding his back injury? What is it? Is it recurring? Is it something to worry about for the rest of his career? Did the Wizards know about this before selecting him? Will he recover in time for the start of the training camp or pre-season?
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#155 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:13 am

I love Davis as a prospect. I see Booker type upside. I think his rookie season he'll be your off the bench Tyler Herro type 6th man but with defense. It's something you badly need (depth and bench scoring) so I'm not understanding the concerns. Is it because of Summer League? It's really difficult to gauge young players during SL because you have try hards looking to make a mark, very poor guard play and no practices. I'm willing to bet by the time preseason is half done you guys will be wondering how you can squeeze him into the starting lineup lol.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,223

Post#156 » by NatP4 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:40 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:I love Davis as a prospect. I see Booker type upside. I think his rookie season he'll be your off the bench Tyler Herro type 6th man but with defense. It's something you badly need (depth and bench scoring) so I'm not understanding the concerns. Is it because of Summer League? It's really difficult to gauge young players during SL because you have try hards looking to make a mark, very poor guard play and no practices. I'm willing to bet by the time preseason is half done you guys will be wondering how you can squeeze him into the starting lineup lol.

Actually he’s a bust. I know this because he missed a couple shots in 3 summer league games.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,107

Post#157 » by J-Ves » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:30 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:I love Davis as a prospect. I see Booker type upside. I think his rookie season he'll be your off the bench Tyler Herro type 6th man but with defense. It's something you badly need (depth and bench scoring) so I'm not understanding the concerns. Is it because of Summer League? It's really difficult to gauge young players during SL because you have try hards looking to make a mark, very poor guard play and no practices. I'm willing to bet by the time preseason is half done you guys will be wondering how you can squeeze him into the starting lineup lol.

I hope you are right but the man didn’t even look like he belonged out there with a bunch of scrubs. Maybe he was playing with cement in his shoes for an extra challenge. That would explain the back soreness
RealGM

Post#158 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 2, 2022 12:42 am

Johnny Davis in Summer League was ...

some how ...

WORSE THAN KWAME IN HIS DEBUT AS A ROOKIE.

KWAME YOU CAN CALL ME OUT CUZ YOU MET ME AND I WILL SAY NORMAN VINCENT PEALE....

IIRC, KWAME WAS INJURED. NATIONAL TV GAME IIRC. HE TWISTED HIS ANKLE WAS WAS WRITHING IN PAIN ...but the young guy should have been protected. THEY LET KWAME STAY ON THE GROUND AND PRACTICALLY CRY. HE WAS JUST A BOY IMO BUT I THOUGHT AT THE TIME GET THE F UP.... JUST BEING HONEST.

JOHNNY IN SUMMER LEAGUE? WOW. BAD. REALLY OUT OF RHYTHM BAD. THAT'S ALL IM GONNA SAY... waY BAD AND ASK KEVIN BROOM ON BULLETS FOREVER OR JUST LOOK AT PPA.

sO BAD THAT I'M praying IT WAS ALL INJURY
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#159 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 2, 2022 12:44 am

jOHNNY DAVIS

be happy and be blessed young man

keep your head up

PHLUK Me and all your haters!!!

YOU EARNED YOUR DRAFt posiTION $$ and DO NOT BE HARD ON YOURSELF

just keep punching (Sylvester STallone quote)
Bye bye Beal.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#160 » by 80sballboy » Tue Aug 2, 2022 6:53 pm

J-Ves wrote:

I hope you are right but the man didn’t even look like he belonged out there with a bunch of scrubs. Maybe he was playing with cement in his shoes for an extra challenge. That would explain the back soreness

He was definitely hurt, but how else can you determine how good a player is until he plays in preseason against real (mostly) NBA players? Not just college against guys with no shot in the league where he can use his size to back people down against 6-3 wings. If he's struggling against G-League players or less, then sure, that's a concern because you can tell the lack of explosion, the lack of swag and left-hand dribble. That's not just SL. That's something he has to work on and hopefully, the lack of explosion was due to the back issues along with his tentative play. He probably shouldn't have played or played just one game. On the positive side, at least he knows a bit about what to expect and what to work on.

But to say he's a bust just because so Wizards or whatever is assinine.

Return to Washington Wizards