Official Trade Thread - Part XLIV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,391

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XLIV 

Post#1781 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:36 am

WallToWall wrote:Thinking of some buy low options with PG's and C/PF's... what are thoughts on the Pistons PG, Hayes, and PF, Bagley FOR Barton and Gill? These players will fall in the 24 y.o. and under timeline that we seem to be gunning for. In the absence of Cunningham, Hayes has started to play a bit better given that he has more play time. He needs a good PG coach to make him better, but there is enough there to take a chance on. Regarding Bagley...some days I like how he plays, some days I dont. A big man coach would do him good. These are two players to roll the dice on. Barton and Gill arent giving us much right now. Barton has this year left on his contract, and that should be attractive enough for the Pistons, especially since they have Joseph and Diallo to resign after this season. Add a 2nd rnd pick if needed.

Why in the world would Detroit do that?
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,696

Post#1782 » by penbeast0 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:55 am

Detroit would probably dump Bagley to get out from under his contract; same reason we probably wouldn't make the deal if we plan to resign Kuzma. Hayes looks good until he takes a shot, then he looks awful. Maybe he can make a Rubio type career but neither his playmaking or defense seem to be at that level. I'd rather go with Delon Wright and Jordan Goodwin, less playmaking but Wright's shooting is NBA level.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#1783 » by WallToWall » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:22 am

nate33 wrote:
WallToWall wrote:Thinking of some buy low options with PG's and C/PF's... what are thoughts on the Pistons PG, Hayes, and PF, Bagley FOR Barton and Gill? These players will fall in the 24 y.o. and under timeline that we seem to be gunning for. In the absence of Cunningham, Hayes has started to play a bit better given that he has more play time. He needs a good PG coach to make him better, but there is enough there to take a chance on. Regarding Bagley...some days I like how he plays, some days I dont. A big man coach would do him good. These are two players to roll the dice on. Barton and Gill arent giving us much right now. Barton has this year left on his contract, and that should be attractive enough for the Pistons, especially since they have Joseph and Diallo to resign after this season. Add a 2nd rnd pick if needed.

Why in the world would Detroit do that?

Bagley’s career reminds me a bit of Kwame Brown. Bagley could mature and be useful. Right now, the Pistons want to just dump him. Hayes put up some decent numbers as a starter (on a really bad team). True, he needs to work on his shot, and his D is below average. However, he does seem to have good court vision, and can dish the ball. As a spot up shooter, he seems to do ok. Just don’t ask him to create a shot for himself. On the Pistons, coach Casey seems to want a shot creator at PG, so he isn’t starter material for them right now. With Cunningham (injured now) and Ivey at PG, Hayes is expendable.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,924

Post#1784 » by TGW » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:38 am

There’s no way Detroit is trading two young players for our trash.

I was actually hoping they did something like Rui for Hayes but I’m sure Detroit wouldn’t have done it.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,075

Post#1785 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:04 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Detroit would probably dump Bagley to get out from under his contract; same reason we probably wouldn't make the deal if we plan to resign Kuzma. Hayes looks good until he takes a shot, then he looks awful. Maybe he can make a Rubio type career but neither his playmaking or defense seem to be at that level. I'd rather go with Delon Wright and Jordan Goodwin, less playmaking but Wright's shooting is NBA level.

So is Goodwin's.
penbeast0
And1: 8,696

Post#1786 » by penbeast0 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:54 pm

I haven't seen Goodwin enough to tell yet.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,785

Post#1787 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:04 pm

Winning streak and they got the 4th easiest remaining schedule in the league. I mean back in December, the way things were looking, I was expecting them to win a handful of games through the end of January. Now they could conceivably get back at .500 or better by the end of the week. It also helps that it seems like 90% of the league is at .500.

Anyway, as for trades, we have no assets. Barton might get a couple of seconds and an expiring back, but the pick being tied to the Knicks is holding everything up. Truthfully, and I will probably get slack for this, the Wizards are almost better off going to the playoffs just so that the pick isn't hanging over their head. I realize the 2023 draft class is deep, but if they're terrible, it gives them a favorable draft position but hamstrings them from making actual trades because the pick is still being held up, or they make the playoffs and Shep essentially has carte blanche to throw a Murray to ATL type of offer to someone and get a star or star-adjacent player back because he now has full control over their picks.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#1788 » by Frichuela » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:20 pm

So it appears Bones Hyland is available...is there any way Tommy could engineer a trade to get him?

Using the trade machine, this is the best I could do:

Wizards get Hyland+Green+Saric
Denver gets Nunn+Carey+3 2nd rounders (two from PHO, 1 one from WAS)
Phoenix gets Monte Morris

Swapping Nunn with Johnny Davis would also work, but Denver is on winning mode so not sure they'll have appetite for a reclamation project such as Davis..

Now, most likely Denver hangs off the phone but hey worth a shot...

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=hvi_4pc_qwYEOeHxT6Aktw
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,892

Post#1789 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:22 pm

Rafael122 wrote:...as for trades, we have no assets. Barton might get a couple of seconds and an expiring back, but the pick being tied to the Knicks is holding everything up. Truthfully, and I will probably get slack for this, the Wizards are almost better off going to the playoffs just so that the pick isn't hanging over their head. I realize the 2023 draft class is deep, but if they're terrible, it gives them a favorable draft position but hamstrings them from making actual trades because the pick is still being held up, or they make the playoffs and Shep essentially has carte blanche to throw a Murray to ATL type of offer to someone and get a star or star-adjacent player back because he now has full control over their picks.

1. Barton is supposedly going to be bought out. Well... that's a rumor at least.
2. Why would the pick being held up hamstring Tommy from making trades that don't involve the pick -- i.e. since you wd (almost) rather give it up?
3. What possible good, long-term, would come from trading a zillion assets to get a "star-adjacent player?" Are you thinking we are "one player away?" If so, from what?

For clarity, a grand total of 8 teams in the NBA -- 8 out of the other 29 -- have worse records than the Washington Wizards. That's one spot worse than we were last season when we won 34 games.

That's who the Wizards are; we are bottom-dwellers.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1790 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:34 pm

payitforward wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:...as for trades, we have no assets. Barton might get a couple of seconds and an expiring back, but the pick being tied to the Knicks is holding everything up. Truthfully, and I will probably get slack for this, the Wizards are almost better off going to the playoffs just so that the pick isn't hanging over their head. I realize the 2023 draft class is deep, but if they're terrible, it gives them a favorable draft position but hamstrings them from making actual trades because the pick is still being held up, or they make the playoffs and Shep essentially has carte blanche to throw a Murray to ATL type of offer to someone and get a star or star-adjacent player back because he now has full control over their picks.

1. Barton is supposedly going to be bought out. Well... that's a rumor at least.
2. Why would the pick being held up hamstring Tommy from making trades that don't involve the pick -- i.e. since you wd (almost) rather give it up?
3. What possible good, long-term, would come from trading a zillion assets to get a "star-adjacent player?" Are you thinking we are "one player away?" If so, from what?

For clarity, a grand total of 8 teams in the NBA -- 8 out of the other 29 -- have worse records than the Washington Wizards. That's one spot worse than we were last season when we won 34 games.

That's who the Wizards are; we are bottom-dwellers.

I can't remember the last time the Wizards actually bought someone out. A quick google search would tell me its Mike Bibby and that was 12 years ago. A buyout might be on the table, but I would assume Shep would rather trade him for an expiring and a few seconds than to buy him out.

Regarding your second point, the Wizards can't trade any first round picks until the pick that is owed to the Knicks conveys and this team doesn't have assets to pull of trades without picks so this is what we have.

I don't think we're one player away, I would prefer they tank, get a good pick and potentially try to do something next year but with the winning streak and the fact that 90% of the league seems to have a similar record, we're probably play in bound.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1791 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:34 pm

payitforward wrote:1. Barton is supposedly going to be bought out. Well... that's a rumor at least.

Before the Rui trade, the Wizards had a motivation to buy out Barton in the hopes of saving about $1M which would give them the luxtax room to sign Goodwin.

But now, the Wizards have the luxtax room for Goodwin independent of Barton, so there's no compelling need to buy him out (other than to create a roster spot). They may still buy him out to prove to the league that they're nice people, but they no longer have to.

I disagree with Rafael122, in the notion that Barton could bring back "a couple of seconds". I don't think anyone would give up an expiring contract for him, much less actually give us compensation in the process. The one exception might be the Lakers, who might have interest in trading Beverley for Barton just so they can add a wing defender with a bit more size.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,892

Post#1792 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:03 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:1. Barton is supposedly going to be bought out. Well... that's a rumor at least.

Before the Rui trade, the Wizards had a motivation to buy out Barton in the hopes of saving about $1M which would give them the luxtax room to sign Goodwin.

But now, the Wizards have the luxtax room for Goodwin independent of Barton, so there's no compelling need to buy him out (other than to create a roster spot).....

...which they would need in order to sign Goodwin.
Seems like the motivation remains -- or am I missing something?

nate33 wrote:...I disagree with Rafael122, in the notion that Barton could bring back "a couple of seconds". I don't think anyone would give up an expiring contract for him, much less actually give us compensation in the process. The one exception might be the Lakers, who might have interest in trading Beverley for Barton just so they can add a wing defender with a bit more size.

OTOH, we don't have much motivation to make that trade inasmuch as Beverly isn't producing either.
Like trading one dead battery for another dead battery!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Post#1793 » by mhd » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:06 pm

nate33 wrote:

But now, the Wizards have the luxtax room for Goodwin independent of Barton, so there's no compelling need to buy him out (other than to create a roster spot). They may still buy him out to prove to the league that they're nice people, but they no longer have to.

I disagree with Rafael122, in the notion that Barton could bring back "a couple of seconds". I don't think anyone would give up an expiring contract for him, much less actually give us compensation in the process. The one exception might be the Lakers, who might have interest in trading Beverley for Barton just so they can add a wing defender with a bit more size.

What about this deal:

Wiz trade Barton+Johnny Davis for Fournier+our pick back?

If we make the playoffs, we lose our pick. Sure, this deal takes us into the lux tax (Turd should pay it for once considering he demands mediocrity) when we resign Kuz, but it also gives us a tradeable expiring in Fournier next year (his last year is a team option). Knicks shave some cap space and gamble on Davis.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1794 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:11 pm

mhd wrote:
nate33 wrote:

What about this deal:

Wiz trade Barton+Johnny Davis for Fournier+our pick back?

If we make the playoffs, we lose our pick. Sure, this deal takes us into the lux tax (Turd should pay it for once considering he demands mediocrity) when we resign Kuz, but it also gives us a tradeable expiring in Fournier next year (his last year is a team option). Knicks shave some cap space and gamble on Davis.

We can't do it. We can't take on Fournier's deal and still resign KP and Kuzma.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1795 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:41 pm

Frichuela wrote:So it appears Bones Hyland is available...is there any way Tommy could engineer a trade to get him?

Swapping Nunn with Johnny Davis would also work, but Denver is on winning mode so not sure they'll have appetite for a reclamation project such as Davis..

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1796 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:54 pm

Kinda crazy the Nuggets traded Morris to make room for Hyland only for them to turn around and put Hyland on the block. He still has two full years left before he's eligible for any kind of extension
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,986

Post#1797 » by DCZards » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter

Sit down and shut up, George!

George Karl has a history of making a
punching bag of DeMarcus Cousins and Black players

The former coach reminds us again of his tendency to devalue a certain crowd

By Carron J. Phillips
April 19, 2022

Back in 2016, excerpts of a book that Karl was getting ready to publish started being released. One of the trigger points were Karl’s comments about Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin, and J.R. Smith, as he used coded language to discuss the “posses” that came along with them, and what he felt was holding them back as men and players.

“Kenyon and Carmelo carried two big burdens — all that money and no father to show them how to act like a man,” he wrote. It’s always funny how white men are viewed as triumphant for overcoming not having a father in the home, but Black men get depicted as lacking masculinity.

Oh, and the name of the book was also a shot at Karl’s former Black players, as it was titled “Furious George: My Forty Years Surviving NBA Divas, Clueless GMs, and Poor Shot Selection.”

https://deadspin.com/george-karl-has-a-history-of-making-a-punching-bag-of-d-1848813103
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1798 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:22 pm

DCZards wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
Frichuela wrote:So it appears Bones Hyland is available...is there any way Tommy could engineer a trade to get him?

Read on Twitter

Sit down and shut up, George.

George Karl has a history of making a punching bag of DeMarcus Cousins and Black players
The former coach reminds us again of his tendency to devalue a certain crowd

By Carron J. Phillips
April 19, 2022

Back in 2016, excerpts of a book that Karl was getting ready to publish started being released. One of the trigger points were Karl’s comments about Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin, and J.R. Smith, as he used coded language to discuss the “posses” that came along with them, and what he felt was holding them back as men and players.

“Kenyon and Carmelo carried two big burdens — all that money and no father to show them how to act like a man,” he wrote. It’s always funny how white men are viewed as triumphant for overcoming not having a father in the home, but Black men get depicted as lacking masculinity.

Oh, and the name of the book was also a shot at Karl’s former Black players, as it was titled “Furious George: My Forty Years Surviving NBA Divas, Clueless GMs, and Poor Shot Selection.”

https://deadspin.com/george-karl-has-a-history-of-making-a-punching-bag-of-d-1848813103

So, Karl could very well be racist, I haven't read the book.

But is Karl wrong about the trade?
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,986

Post#1799 » by DCZards » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:38 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
DCZards wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Sit down and shut up, George.

Karl is wrong for using his large and influential platform to diss a young, raw player.

His negativity is consistent with previous comments he’s made about Black players and coaches.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1800 » by dckingsfan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:57 pm

DCZards wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
DCZards wrote:

Karl is wrong for using his large and influential platform to diss a young, raw player.

His negativity is consistent with previous comments he’s made about Black players and coaches.

Okay, I get that you don't like what he has done.

But in this case he is saying that for Denver at this point-in-time when they are going for a championship that the given young player isn't optimal for their run. Is he wrong on that or given your lens, is it impossible to judge?

Return to Washington Wizards