Maybe this was the star-free agent Ted was talking about. :D
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Re: Shams: Wizards signing Taj Gibson 

Post#3 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jul 8, 2022 9:38 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
Read on Twitter
Ewwwwww. Taj is washed and we already have gil as a towel waiver. We have Cary and enchique

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,163

Post#4 » by AFM » Fri Jul 8, 2022 9:43 pm

A 37 year old. Nice. Maybe he’s just there for the locker room but I don’t know about this one.
NiteOwl
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#5 » by NiteOwl » Fri Jul 8, 2022 9:45 pm

Udonis Haslem role - culture/locker room. I guess you could get away with playing him 10 min a game, but he has to be the last big off the bench.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#6 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jul 8, 2022 9:47 pm

NiteOwl wrote:Udonis Haslem role - culture/locker room. I guess you could get away with playing him 10 min a game, but he has to be the last big off the bench.

He's fine for that role, but when Porzingis misses about 20-25 games, he's going to have to play 20mpg behind Gafford. I guess he can do that fine because he can rebound and defend a bit.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Post#7 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jul 8, 2022 9:49 pm

I really think the teams should be increased to 20 spots imo

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#8 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 8, 2022 9:53 pm

I don't have a problem with this. He's basically an assistant coach who won't play except when Porzingis gets hurt. You need one or two guys like that - professionals who know their role and can produce in a pinch, but won't cry about minutes.

Old guys can still play well in spurts, they just can't handle the grind of regular minutes throughout the season. He might even start when Porzingis is out to maintain the same role as a high post screen setter who can nail an 18-footer - though he would play shorter stints and cede more minutes to Gafford off the bench.

I'd love for him to get in the ear of Hachimura and teach him to rebound and play physical.

Vernon Carey Jr. can't be too happy about this though.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#9 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jul 8, 2022 9:56 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't have a problem with this. He's basically an assistant coach who won't play except when Porzingis gets hurt.

Old guys can still play well in spurts, they just can't handle the grind of regular minutes throughout the season. He might even start when Porzingis is out to maintain the same role as a high post screen setter who can nail an 18-footer - though he would play shorter stints and cede more minutes to Gafford off the bench.

I'd love for him to get in the ear of Hachimura and teach him to rebound and play physical.

Vernon Carey Jr. can't be too happy about this though.

Yes, that's a bit of a "younger" Haslem role because he can still play some. Shot 39% from three-point range with limited shots. Maybe he can help the young guys like Rui and Deni when it comes to rebounding and playing more physically.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,357

Post#10 » by nate33 » Fri Jul 8, 2022 9:57 pm

How many guys do we have now?

PGs: Morris, Wright
SGs: Beal, Barton, Davis
SFs: Kispert, Avdija
PFs: Rui, Kuzma, Gill, Todd
Cs: Porzingis, Gafford, Carey, Gibson

That's all 15 roster spots. Add two 2-way guys - presumably Pierria Henry and maybe Dotson.

It seems unnecessarily deep at center, particularly when Kuzma and Gill can play there in a pinch.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#11 » by doclinkin » Fri Jul 8, 2022 10:01 pm

CHAMPIONSHIP!

This is the one more free agent Ted was talking about. What we need most is one more 4/5 because at some point we will own ALL the forwards in the league and then teams will have to beg to pry one away from us.

I liked Taj a ton when he was at USC playing with Nick Young. I was happy to see him succeed in the league despite being undersized for the position. Tough dude, not bad to exemplify front court defense based on technique and effort. I just think this sort of signing may be the type we get used to over the next few years. Veterans on short deals to fill in the back end of the roster. And probably be played a little too much by coaches who know they can trust them.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#12 » by 80sballboy » Fri Jul 8, 2022 10:04 pm

nate33 wrote:How many guys do we have now?

PGs: Morris, Wright
SGs: Beal, Barton, Davis
SFs: Kispert, Avdija
PFs: Rui, Kuzma, Gill, Todd
Cs: Porzingis, Gafford, Carey, Gibson

That's all 15 roster spots. Add two 2-way guys - presumably Pierria Henry and maybe Dotson.

It seems unnecessarily deep at center, particularly when Kuzma and Gill can play there in a pinch.

What is Carey's contract? Can they cut him if he doesn't work out? Sounds like we need to make a real trade.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#13 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 8, 2022 10:09 pm

Taj Gibson has had a nice career. He's been a better 4 than 5, but... he doesn't seem to have much left.

Last year & the year before he took just over 6 shots per 40 minutes. You read that right.

His rebounding is still solid. Last year, his foul rate soared -- I'm assuming he's lost a step. Or 3.

Signing Taj Gibson to a team with 4 PFs, mostly young & about whom we need to start making decisions, is completely ridiculous. This is an Ernie-level decision.

Really hard to believe. Plus, for the first time in Tommy's reign as GM, we've signed a meaningless veteran who can't be part of the team for any meaningful amount of time. Whose only conceivable benefit could be a short-term win or two this season (though even that benefit is actually out of the question: we'd be far better off playing Gill for any of the minutes Taj gets).

I take it this is the first fruit of Ted's announcement that he is "focused on the Wizards." Perhaps, being -- as he claimed -- "a free agent away," Taj is that guy.

"Away" from what? We all know perfectly well what Ted means, don't we? He wants to compete for the play-in game. What a joke!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#14 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 8, 2022 10:11 pm

doclinkin wrote:CHAMPIONSHIP!

This is the one more free agent Ted was talking about. What we need most is one more 4/5 because at some point we will own ALL the forwards in the league and then teams will have to beg to pry one away from us.

I liked Taj a ton when he was at USC playing with Nick Young. I was happy to see him succeed in the league despite being undersized for the position. Tough dude, not bad to exemplify front court defense based on technique and effort. I just think this sort of signing may be the type we get used to over the next few years. Veterans on short deals to fill in the back end of the roster. And probably be played a little too much by coaches who know they can trust them.

We are now officially back to the Ernie era, where we acquire veteran "band-aids."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Gig18
Junior
And1: 138

Post#15 » by Gig18 » Fri Jul 8, 2022 10:19 pm

another coach, just as 15th guy...
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#16 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jul 8, 2022 10:27 pm

I've always wanted Taj Gibson...a decade ago.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#17 » by montestewart » Fri Jul 8, 2022 10:32 pm

JWizmentality wrote:I've always wanted Taj Gibson...a decade ago.

“We’ve had our eye on him for a long time” is the quote on his tombstone
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 551

Post#18 » by daSwami » Fri Jul 8, 2022 11:08 pm

WTAF?
:banghead:
payitforward
RealGM

Post#19 » by payitforward » Fri Jul 8, 2022 11:20 pm

nate33 wrote:I don't have a problem with this. He's basically an assistant coach who won't play except when Porzingis gets hurt. You need one or two guys like that - professionals who know their role and can produce in a pinch, but won't cry about minutes.

Old guys can still play well in spurts, they just can't handle the grind of regular minutes throughout the season....

To me, the problem with telling the story this way is that it leaves out the most important fact: Taj takes up a roster spot that could go to a kid who has some kind of a future -- at least potentially. He gets in the way of developing the team.

& what is the message in that kind of decision? "We don't have a problem; things're good, & now we're just cleaning up around the edges." But, the truth is that this franchise is a colossal mess & absolutely refuses to deal with its real situation.

The other factor, equally negative, is that this move signals (at least to me it seems to) greater involvement from Ted -- which is the last thing needed.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#20 » by keynote » Sat Jul 9, 2022 12:03 am

This sets the stage nicely for a consolidation trade in the front court. Hopefully this means we can add Collins, or Ingram, or whichever "big swing" Shep is able to overpay for.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using RealGM mobile app
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.

Return to Washington Wizards