ImageImageImageImageImage

Shams: Wizards signing Taj Gibson

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Re: Shams: Wizards signing Taj Gibson 

Post#41 » by barelyawake » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:30 am

We’ve only had two or three full team meltdowns, including just last year, with Beal as one of the team leaders. But, that’s ok, KP has exhibited he’s a true team leader. Right? Then again, maybe some undrafted 19 year old would do better at keeping the guys together, when things get contentious in the locker room.

We needed a guy like Taj. Frankly, we need a hell of a lot better, but he will do until trade deadline.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#42 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:37 am

barelyawake wrote:We’ve only had two or three full team meltdowns, including just last year, with Beal as one of the team leaders. But, that’s ok, KP has exhibited he’s a true team leader. Right? Then again, maybe some undrafted 19 year old would do better at keeping the guys together, when things get contentious in the locker room.

We needed a guy like Taj. Frankly, we need a hell of a lot better, but he will do until trade deadline.
I agree with this.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#43 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:11 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:This signing makes no sense whatsoever

Gibson has the same agent as Beal.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 896

Post#44 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:29 pm

"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#45 » by payitforward » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:44 pm

When you make a hot fudge sundae, & you've got the really good ice cream, the terrific & delicious sauce, got it in a really nice glass bowl, you know what...? It's great to put a cherry on top of it. Whole thing perfect, mmm-mmmm!

But, put a cherry in a bowl that's mostly empty w/ some leftovers in it, & you're wasting your time.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,335

Post#46 » by Phish Tank » Tue Aug 9, 2022 4:21 am

knicks fan here bumping a nearly month-old topic to provide some insight on Taj:

1) The Knicks originally signed Taj to a then-absurd 2/$20M deal in 2019 to fill up cap space & add "vets." He was around during the Fizdale abomination and the Mike Miller salvation before Thibs arrived. He was rightfully cut before the 20/21 season before coming back once again on a vet min deal after the team cut Omari Spellman (who was never going to play anyways). He was then signed again to a weird enough 2/$10M deal before being cut to open up space for Brunson. All in all, he made $17M/3 seasons, which is still absurd, but bleh.

2) Of the 3 seasons, he was only expected to play significant minutes during the first season, ironically the non-Thibs season. He was expected to be the 3rd string big at best in 20/21 until Mitchell Robinson got hurt. In 21/22 he was the 3rd string center at best until Nerlens Noel couldn't stay healthy. Eventually, they got Taj to sit a bit after the All-Star break, but not enough to be honest.

3) Taj was a great vet for us. He helped Mitchell Robinson, Randle (at least during the 20-21 season), RJ Barrett, Jericho Sims. He should be able to make an impact on guys like Gafford, Carey, and even Porzingis. With that said, Taj will also make Carey earn that backup center spot.

4) In looking at your rotation, I don't really see a way he gets any consistent rotation minutes. If he does get minutes, hopefully it's not too many. He won't be a liability for your team, unless he's playing 30+ minutes due to injury. Even then, he won't kill your squad beyond taking minutes away from Carey or Rui. Unfortunately the latter point is the key point.

5) Taj can rebound a bit, play some defense, hit the corner 3 on occasion... not terrible if he's playing limited minutes. Hopefully, Carey & Rui make sure he never plays.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#47 » by payitforward » Tue Aug 9, 2022 2:41 pm

Hey -- thanks for the useful info/input! Good luck for the season....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#48 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:09 am

Nvm
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,345

Post#49 » by doclinkin » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:27 pm

“I can’t stress enough, last time I’ll say it: Taj is one of those guys,” Sheppard said. “Just in the short time that he’s been in here, watching Daniel Gafford learn some tricks of the trade…When you set a screen, make sure you lay somebody out, that’s okay. When you learn that from a peer, I think it means a lot more—no offense to our coaching staff. They could say the same things, but sometimes a player will say it in a way…that leaves a little bit more imprint on their head. I’ve seen that.”

This is the kind of guy I have wanted in Hachimura's ear. Westbrook helped motivate him, but Gibson can teach and exemplify how the game can be played by an undersized guy in the front court, using strength and technique. He may be at the tail end of his playing career, but there is room for him at the end of the bench as far as I'm concerned.

payitforward
RealGM

Post#50 » by payitforward » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:26 pm

It's fun to see Taj 12 years ago!
These days he's 37 not 25. Still, Taj had a great year for the Knicks in '20-21. Not nearly as good last year, but who knows... maybe he can recapture a bit of that...?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#51 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:42 am

Phish Tank wrote:knicks fan here bumping a nearly month-old topic to provide some insight on Taj:

1) The Knicks originally signed Taj to a then-absurd 2/$20M deal in 2019 to fill up cap space & add "vets." He was around during the Fizdale abomination and the Mike Miller salvation before Thibs arrived. He was rightfully cut before the 20/21 season before coming back once again on a vet min deal after the team cut Omari Spellman (who was never going to play anyways). He was then signed again to a weird enough 2/$10M deal before being cut to open up space for Brunson. All in all, he made $17M/3 seasons, which is still absurd, but bleh.

2) Of the 3 seasons, he was only expected to play significant minutes during the first season, ironically the non-Thibs season. He was expected to be the 3rd string big at best in 20/21 until Mitchell Robinson got hurt. In 21/22 he was the 3rd string center at best until Nerlens Noel couldn't stay healthy. Eventually, they got Taj to sit a bit after the All-Star break, but not enough to be honest.

3) Taj was a great vet for us. He helped Mitchell Robinson, Randle (at least during the 20-21 season), RJ Barrett, Jericho Sims. He should be able to make an impact on guys like Gafford, Carey, and even Porzingis. With that said, Taj will also make Carey earn that backup center spot.

4) In looking at your rotation, I don't really see a way he gets any consistent rotation minutes. If he does get minutes, hopefully it's not too many. He won't be a liability for your team, unless he's playing 30+ minutes due to injury. Even then, he won't kill your squad beyond taking minutes away from Carey or Rui. Unfortunately the latter point is the key point.

5) Taj can rebound a bit, play some defense, hit the corner 3 on occasion... not terrible if he's playing limited minutes. Hopefully, Carey & Rui make sure he never plays.
Thanks, indeed!

Sent from my SM-A536U using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#52 » by payitforward » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:47 am

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,349

Post#53 » by Kanyewest » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#54 » by Frichuela » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:46 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honestly, I don't get this. Why sign the corpse of Gibson? There are prospects still available at center, Garuba and Queta for example...And now we have 17 guaranteed contracts!!

There must be upcoming moves in store, right???
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#55 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:08 pm

This is idiotic.
In Rizzo we trust
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#56 » by Frichuela » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:22 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:This is idiotic.

Totally. It's like the ghosts of Ernie and Tommy are back :banghead:
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Post#57 » by closg00 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:39 pm

Frichuela wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honestly, I don't get this. Why sign the corpse of Gibson? There are prospects still available at center, Garuba and Queta for example...And now we have 17 guaranteed contracts!!

There must be upcoming moves in store, right???

WTF, this is vintage Ernie Grunfeld, Garuba or someone else would have been fine for the tank. OTOH, they probably want Gibson for calm vet leadership for the young guys.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#58 » by nate33 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:07 pm

I really like Gibson as the prototypical "veteran mentor" third string center. He's great in the locker room and knows all the dirty tricks. He's the type of guy who goes 6 games in a row without playing a minute and not complaining about it, but then can give you 18 good minutes on a given night due to some injury or foul trouble.

My only issue is that you really only want that prototype if you already have the young guys at the position for Gibson to mentor. This acquisition makes little sense while the other two centers on the roster are 4-year-vet Daniel Gafford and 10-year-vet Mike Muscala.

It'll make a lot more sense if there's a plan in place to move Muscala and bring in a young center.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#59 » by nate33 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:12 pm

I'm assuming that $3.2M salary is the minimum salary for a 10-year-vet. (In 2022-23, the 10-year-vet minimum salary was $2.9M.) If it is indeed a vet minimum signing, then a portion of his salary is actually being subsidized by the league. The cost to Ted's wallet is just $2.0M. His cap hit, luxtax hit, and trade matching salary would also be just $2.0M.

He is useful trade filler, I suppose.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#60 » by nate33 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 5:21 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards