nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Re: Wizards Training Camp & Preseason 2022 

Post#101 » by nate33 » Tue Oct 4, 2022 1:05 pm

Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:I can imagine us ending the season above the Knicks but not above Charlotte, a team that won 8 more games than the Wizards last year.

They did lose Bridges, & we do have a chance to be better than last year, but that's a big jump. Not to mention that they have roster space & ample room under the tax line to add 2 more guys.

Bridges was their best player. I can definitely see Charlotte fall below us.

LaMelo??? Hell even Rozier. Bridges was flashy a bit overrated. He would tend to disappear for long stretches of games. Charlotte isn't better off but I think they can still tread water w/o Bridges.

I have the Wizards & Hornets close to being equal.

I think LaMelo is flashy but a bit overrated. Though given his age, that could certainly improve.

But I basically agree with you. I think the Wizards and Charlotte are in the same general tier. My main point was that, unlike PIF, I don't think Charlotte finishing ahead of us is a foregone conclusion.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#102 » by Dat2U » Tue Oct 4, 2022 1:54 pm

If anything, LaMelo is underrated. I think he's a legit franchise quality player and may actually make that jump this season. I think he's near magician with ball in his hands. His skill level is remarkable for his age.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#103 » by payitforward » Tue Oct 4, 2022 2:08 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
nate33 wrote:Bridges was their best player. I can definitely see Charlotte fall below us.

LaMelo??? Hell even Rozier. Bridges was flashy a bit overrated. He would tend to disappear for long stretches of games. Charlotte isn't better off but I think they can still tread water w/o Bridges.

I have the Wizards & Hornets close to being equal.

I think LaMelo is flashy but a bit overrated. Though given his age, that could certainly improve.

But I basically agree with you. I think the Wizards and Charlotte are in the same general tier. My main point was that, unlike PIF, I don't think Charlotte finishing ahead of us is a foregone conclusion.

That's totally fair. "Foregone conclusion" would be an overstatement.
I just don't see much of a reason for them to take a step backwards, certainly not a big step.

OTOH, if every positive factor on the Wizards plays out as hoped for -- the Beal bounce-back, Porzingis w/ whole & high level season, Morris & Wright playing at the same productivity levels they posted last year, ditto Barton, positive steps from Avdija & Kispert, & Rui finally taking hold -- sure! In fact, if all of the above unrolls as envisioned we could get to 43 wins & past.

But... there are some long-shots on that list. For which reason, finishing anywhere above 12th in the East is pretty speculative. Still, as they say, hope springs eternal.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#104 » by doclinkin » Wed Oct 5, 2022 1:24 am

payitforward wrote:John Wall was -- & let's hope he will be again -- a terrific player. No doubt about it. But, sorry, there is no such thing as the John Wall effect.

Been argued ad nauseum half a decade ago, but feel free to time travel back and argue with WizKev and all.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2013/8/27/4662250/john-wall-effect-washington-wizards-shooting

You could theoretically argue that the WIzards were the league's most proficient corner three-point shooting team. The Wizards hit 45.7 percent of their corner three-pointers last year, which was percentage points behind the Golden State Warriors for second in the entire league. Better than the Spurs, better than the Heat, better than other bombs-away squads like the Clippers and Knicks. But they did it while shooting 128 more shots from that spot than the Warriors, so they were getting more mileage out of their corner three-point shooting.

This is one area where it's clear that John Wall Effect exists. In 2011-12, Wall led the league with 77 assists for corner three-pointers, which accounted for nearly 15 percent of his total assists. This year, he had 70 assists for corner three-pointers in just 49 games, which accounted for nearly 19 percent of his total assists. (Here's some film work from January explaining how he does it). That's an absurd percentage. There's nobody better in the league at creating corner three-point shots.

As for the rest. Are you really trying to argue Chris Paul doesn't improve the quality of play around him?

Read on Twitter

Curious. Walking through Basketball Reference, it looks to me that every team he goes to takes a jump in eFG%. Is it your contention that this bump is solely due to CP3's own scoring? To be clear, it sounds like you are saying the only stats that matter for PG play is their own contribution in personal stats. That a good PG does not in fact help the players around them score more efficiently. I'd love to see a study that dives into that.

Assists are for sure a messy stat, arbitrary and influenced by home bias. And redundant in that they measure the cleaner stat called 'points'. But still, if you look at Catch and Shoot stats, and Undefended shots, you can tease out the effects of a good PG. Teams who have a proficient passer as the lead ballhandler do see an uptick in shots rated as open (defender further than 6 feet away). Not sure why this should be a contentious point in the context of your praising the addition of 2 players at the PG spot. Perhaps in your conception of the game, the idea of a PG position is nonsense, like the 'eye test', where it is not a necessary role at all, but just a relic of tradition that people hang onto out of habit.

I actually think the set-up role of PGs is due for a comeback in value. My sense is now with defenders able to crowd the dribble without fear of a whistle, skilled ballhandlers will become coveted (as will tall passers). Post entry passes to a high percentage scorer in the paint will become a more efficient play than expecting your combo guard to break down his man off the dribble and force his own offense. Lanes will still exist to drive for teams who have 3 or more skilled shooters on the court at all times, but otherwise I anticipate a renaissance for tall strong guards (6'6" and up) and players who can finish through contact. The guy who can get the ball to them through traffic becomes a more important asset by extension.

But to pull it back to the thread topic. Watching both Wright and Monte in these games did inspire confidence. Loved seeing Delon force Curry to give the ball up a few times, and dribble off his foot once. Monte scored better than he set the table for his teammates, but you could see the timing start to develop.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#105 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 5, 2022 2:25 am

1. Ok, fine. Once upon a time there was a modest John Wall effect.
2. Once again... did you actually look at how Booker played prior to CP3's arrival vs. CP3's first year with the team? Are you arguing that, no, Booker didn't go downhill that year? I.e. the opposite of what you claimed?

CP3, from every point of view, is one of the best players in the history of the game, arguably the best pg ever. What he does constitutes no evidence whatever that John does or doesn't do anything at all.

If you really want to argue for Kevin's point, don't you have to go forward to the next few years? Did we continue to have the best corner 3 % the following 2 years, for example? Maybe we did. But, unless that point is made, Kev's argument doesn't mean all that much based on a single long-ago year. Could be an anomaly, who knows?

OTOH, in fairness, if we did continue to excel, then that does add credence to the point. No question.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#106 » by montestewart » Wed Oct 5, 2022 3:32 am

payitforward wrote:1. Ok, fine. Once upon a time there was a modest John Wall effect.
2. Once again... did you actually look at how Booker played prior to CP3's arrival vs. CP3's first year with the team? Are you arguing that, no, Booker didn't go downhill that year? I.e. the opposite of what you claimed?

CP3, from every point of view, is one of the best players in the history of the game, arguably the best pg ever. What he does constitutes no evidence whatever that John does or doesn't do anything at all.

If you really want to argue for Kevin's point, don't you have to go forward to the next few years? Did we continue to have the best corner 3 % the following 2 years, for example? Maybe we did. But, unless that point is made, Kev's argument doesn't mean all that much based on a single long-ago year. Could be an anomaly, who knows?

OTOH, in fairness, if we did continue to excel, then that does add credence to the point. No question.

Note: Nivek said Wall led the league in corner 3 assists in 2011-12, and his corner 3 assist percentage improved the following year, so the claim was really based on two years of performance.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#107 » by gambitx777 » Wed Oct 5, 2022 4:10 am

Is there any real hope that we waive and stretch Todd and give that spot to Dotson or maker. ?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,373

Post#108 » by Jimmy Recard » Wed Oct 5, 2022 7:46 am

I really hope Barton is traded by the deadline
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#109 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 5, 2022 8:32 am

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=c0mQuoJDSBMr-qFtSToMJw

I was really sick a couple weeks back, tail end of Covid. Didn't have the energy to OBJECTIVELY EVALUATE what the Wizards have done. Delon Wright is a good one. What leads me to say this?

That was some damn good perimeter defense!

Text book hand high, defensive slide, dropping back into the lane to help double down on big, but THAT RECOVERY CLOSEOUT....Wow! I think I see the strategy between him and drafting Davis (though I think he wasn't the best pickup considering Corey Kispert shows promise defensively as well).
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#110 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 5, 2022 8:40 am

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=fd6AvlmWCMq1AhjGj42vGg

nate, recall my last exchange in the other thread about trading DG...

The Wizards need a big like DayRon Sharpe ( IMHO will be a future ail star, even better than DeMarcus Cousins--who I was MORE THAN RIGHT ABOUT) Do you recall? :D

I told Zach Randolph, in person to his face just ask him or his representative(s); YOU WILL BE AN ALL STAR. Told him this after his rookie year; whenever he had punched out a teammate (Wells) with the Portland Trailblazers. AT THAT TIME THE CONVENTIONAL THINKING (group think/consensus) didn't favor short/undersized PFs. Funny thing I was right.

The two players NO NO MORE... F this .... I'm NOT GOING TO GIVE AWAY GREATNESS .

One name YOU KNOW: OMARI SPELLMAN
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#111 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 5, 2022 8:40 am

Cut Todd and pick up Omari Spellman.

Thank me, CCJKen, Capt H, later.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#112 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 5, 2022 8:44 am

Todd is a great kid but too far off. Makur is a great prospect.

Spellman and oh, what the heck, JARED SULLIINGER, best fit the need of the Wizards at CENTER. They're not a redundancy like wasting Gafford's time and talents behind KP, when DG is arguably a better starting C. I love Gafford and don't want his career wasted. I do not really thing Wes Junior is a good coach.

Not based on what I saw last season.
Bye bye Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#113 » by Dat2U » Wed Oct 5, 2022 1:42 pm

Gafford hasn't proven he can play more than 20 minuted a night. Kristaps hasn't proven he can stay healthy for an entire year. I don't see the problem. Heck? I'm more concerned that Taj is going to eat alot of minutes due to KP or DG being injured/unavailable.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#114 » by nate33 » Wed Oct 5, 2022 2:13 pm

Dat2U wrote:Gafford hasn't proven he can play more than 20 minuted a night. Kristaps hasn't proven he can stay healthy for an entire year. I don't see the problem. Heck? I'm more concerned that Taj is going to eat alot of minutes due to KP or DG being injured/unavailable.

Good point. I guess that's exactly why they got Taj. As an over-the-hill vet, he'll be fine riding the pine when everyone is healthy. And when KP goes down, Taj can sort of emulate his role in the offense operating from the high post.

Effectively, Taj won't be eating any minutes from Gafford or KP. He'll just take all of Vernon Carey's minutes.

It'll be interesting to see if Taj starts when KP is out so that Gafford can stay in his same role as energy guy off the bench.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,927

Post#115 » by Frichuela » Wed Oct 5, 2022 4:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21&t=t2f_S6IRAYhM9XdeY3MtLA
payitforward
RealGM

Post#116 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 5, 2022 5:10 pm

montestewart wrote:
payitforward wrote:1. Ok, fine. Once upon a time there was a modest John Wall effect.

Note: Nivek said Wall led the league in corner 3 assists in 2011-12, and his corner 3 assist percentage improved the following year, so the claim was really based on two years of performance.

Ok, cool. Above all, I hope he has a great year for the Clips.
Oh, & that he has an outstanding team handling investments for his enormous fortune! That one even more than the first one! :)
payitforward
RealGM

Post#117 » by payitforward » Wed Oct 5, 2022 5:13 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Is there any real hope that we waive and stretch Todd and give that spot to Dotson or maker. ?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

You know the answer to that question! :)

One of them, or Quenton Jackson, will be the 2d 2-way player -- unless we cut Schakel & keep both....
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,047

Post#118 » by queridiculo » Wed Oct 5, 2022 9:24 pm

Kispert out for 4-6 weeks, off to a good start.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#119 » by dobrojim » Wed Oct 5, 2022 10:11 pm

queridiculo wrote:Kispert out for 4-6 weeks, off to a good start.

Looks like JD will be thrown into the fire sooner rather than later.
Or many more minutes for Barton.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#120 » by FAH1223 » Thu Oct 6, 2022 2:14 pm

Return to Washington Wizards