ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards preseason games in Japan.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Re: Wizards preseason games in Japan. 

Post#21 » by payitforward » Sat Oct 1, 2022 2:15 am

The game was fun to watch; that was, somehow, the most important takeaway for me.

We're not going to contend -- not this year & not in the next 4-5 years -- but we can be entertaining. We'll have to hope for that, & then enjoy it should it be the case.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#22 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Oct 1, 2022 5:56 am

payitforward wrote:The game was fun to watch; that was, somehow, the most important takeaway for me.

We're not going to contend -- not this year & not in the next 4-5 years -- but we can be entertaining. We'll have to hope for that, & then enjoy it should it be the case.

Usually not a hype guy… but that pregame was great.
In Rizzo we trust
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,651

Post#23 » by 80sballboy » Sat Oct 1, 2022 6:56 pm

I watched the replay (game was blocked out in Bmore), but I didn't see much out of the norm aside from the fact that both teams were probably jet-lagged and rusty. Delon Wright and Monte Morris will upgrade the 1 and combo spots. Wright is the best defensive guard we've had in a long time. Beal was just trying to get his legs. Davis, unfortunately, is who thought he was after a terrible SL play. It's not just the back; it's him. Another year of gaining some muscle might help, but the fact that they have him playing the 2 and really needed to draft a 3, makes you wonder WTF Tommy was thinking instead of just trading out of that spot.

Anyhow, I'm not as down on this team aside from the pick as others. I like the Gibson pickup at least as a veteran who can teach the younger frontcourt guys some things and new tricks. Also Rui is becoming a legit NBA rotation play. I don't care about stats from 2019. But Deni needs to get some time in preseason. And they need Barton to play some as well to get acclimated with Beal and KP. Where does Deni play? Where does Kispert play? Is Barton the starting 3 or backup 2 and 3? A lot of questions but at least we'll be able to see it in the next few games.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#24 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Oct 2, 2022 4:07 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=gFszNdfiJpDt10rKBNMTDA

Took my nap and bought some chicken & egg rolls.

Ready to watch this 1am tip off,
just hope I’m still awake to see the end of the game :lol:
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#25 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Oct 2, 2022 5:45 am

Who’s going to be our new play by play guy? Chris miller? I wish they bring Steve back buckantz
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#26 » by BearlyBallin » Sun Oct 2, 2022 5:55 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=wsNBgDpYMba561YFr-hs9A
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
dorianwrite
Rookie
And1: 273

Post#27 » by dorianwrite » Sun Oct 2, 2022 6:16 am

Davis hasn't shown he can shoot yet, but I don't think he's going to be a bust. Looks pretty comfortable defensively, fills the box score, good free throw shooter (smooth stroke, maybe a good sign that he'll eventually get his legs and nail some field goals). There's rookie tentativeness, but he's not playing scared.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,710

Post#28 » by montestewart » Sun Oct 2, 2022 6:25 am

dorianwrite wrote:Davis hasn't shown he can shoot yet, but I don't think he's going to be a bust. Looks pretty comfortable defensively, fills the box score, good free throw shooter (smooth stroke, maybe a good sign that he'll eventually get his legs and nail some field goals). There's rookie tentativeness, but he's not playing scared.

Agreed. He looks pretty active on the floor even if he isn’t scoring. Based upon what people were saying I expected much more of a deer in the headlights look.
truwizfan4evr
Assistant Coach
And1: 642

Post#29 » by truwizfan4evr » Sun Oct 2, 2022 7:17 am

Johnny davis a joke
You Shouldn't Play For Money, But You Should Play Because You Have A Passion For It -- Bradley Beal
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,209

Post#30 » by CobraCommander » Sun Oct 2, 2022 7:22 am

Davis doesn’t look quick… he actually looks really slow … wow
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#31 » by CobraCommander » Sun Oct 2, 2022 7:24 am

Todd might not be an nba player…
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#32 » by CobraCommander » Sun Oct 2, 2022 7:24 am

McClung is gonna be fun on the warrior g league team
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,710

Post#33 » by montestewart » Sun Oct 2, 2022 7:44 am

CobraCommander wrote:Davis doesn’t look quick… he actually looks really slow … wow

And maybe stamina issues too. He seemed slower in the second half. Everyone seemed slower in the fourth quarter.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#34 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Oct 2, 2022 7:46 am

Thoughts on Spencer?
CobraCommander
RealGM

Post#35 » by CobraCommander » Sun Oct 2, 2022 8:45 am

montestewart wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:Davis doesn’t look quick… he actually looks really slow … wow

And maybe stamina issues too. He seemed slower in the second half. Everyone seemed slower in the fourth quarter.

Man so young- 실

Need him to not to be tired - but honestly as someone has taken that flight…man it’s exhausting
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,449

Post#36 » by mhd » Sun Oct 2, 2022 12:08 pm

Only caught the 1st half. Davis looks the part at least size wise. However, he doesn't look like he belongs at all otherwise. Just a very below average athlete. He's not going to play one meaningful minute this year. A waste of a draft pick.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,362

Post#37 » by dobrojim » Sun Oct 2, 2022 1:39 pm

dorianwrite wrote:Davis hasn't shown he can shoot yet, but I don't think he's going to be a bust. Looks pretty comfortable defensively, fills the box score, good free throw shooter (smooth stroke, maybe a good sign that he'll eventually get his legs and nail some field goals). There's rookie tentativeness, but he's not playing scared.

I only watched the first half last night but I thought Davis looked a lot more like
an NBA player in this game.

edit to add - after watching the second half, it's still of considerable concern that Davis literally
can't hit a shot. Yes there are other things a player can do to help his team but if
you can't make baskets....the game is called basketball.

Rui seems to like playing on home turf.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Post#38 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Oct 2, 2022 11:00 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:Thoughts on Spencer?

I like him a lot. I wanted Wiz to offer him a two way. Understands the game and has a high upside given that he really hasn’t played much ball. Sneaky athletic too. He’ll make a roster eventually
In Rizzo we trust
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#39 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Mon Oct 3, 2022 1:47 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:Thoughts on Spencer?

I like him a lot. I wanted Wiz to offer him a two way. Understands the game and has a high upside given that he really hasn’t played much ball. Sneaky athletic too. He’ll make a roster eventually

That was pretty much what I was thinking. I think the Wizards missed a trick there. I particularly liked the nonchalance with which he made his free throws at the end of Q4.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,396

Post#40 » by doclinkin » Mon Oct 3, 2022 2:37 am

DCZards wrote:I’m not surprised that Davis is not a scorer at the NBA level yet. I believe his initial contribution to the Zards will be as a defender and high-energy, high-effort player off the bench.

I expect the combo of Davis and Wright to eventually become a tough and effective defensive duo.

That's the hope, but right, the upside of Davis is that he seems to be particularly driven and focused and competitive. So if it is within his ability to improve, he will put in the work and improve.

Leastways that has been his path so far. He dominated games in highschool against players who later ended up at the top of the lottery due to their pure talent. In highschool he was All-American as a basketball player, and All-state as a quarterback. Then he hit college where the talent level was another step up. His freshman year he was decent but not stellar, as a solid 6th man. He put in the work and as a sophomore he dominated at both ends, playing better against his toughest competition. But his game was never going to translate easily at the next level. He's not a strength mismatch at this level as he was in college. He needs a better 3-ball, has a decent handle but it can always improve, has good BBIQ and he will need it to be able to anticipate plays since his athleticism won't outpace opponents. Still, we have seen highly talented players flame out or fail to stick simply because they never improved. Isaiah Todd is more purely physically talented than Johnny Davis. I'd put money on Davis staying in the league longer than Zay Todd though.

This is his mindset. After early Summer League struggles:

"I get this first game probably wasn't what people wanted to see. But I'm just gonna keep building on it and keep getting better and better and eventually the Wizards are gonna be a championship team," Davis said.

Ha. Sucked his first time out, but is talking Championships anyway. Still without that level of focus, he would have no chance to have even gotten this far. We will see. I liked other guys in the draft, but don't put it past him to carve out a solid career in this league.

Return to Washington Wizards