ImageImageImageImageImage

Out of Nowhere: the Official Jordan Goodwin Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,398

Re: Out of Nowhere: the Official Jordan Goodwin Thread 

Post#21 » by doclinkin » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:16 pm

Frichuela wrote:Very exciting. Let’s hope that for once we hit on an undrafted prospect.

This guy says hello:

Tommy has done pretty well in trades and free agents, including a couple gems in Garrison and Goodwin. Too bad we didn't keep Mathews. Hopefully our young lotto picks develop well enough that we can reevaluate the evaluation that he stinks at draft evaluation. But our 2nd rounders have been uniformly terrible. So yeah.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#22 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:13 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=kTT-fW_meufZU2p8d2Y_xg

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=4hiImtiIxxzBDkvM4-uJFQ

:nod:

Around 2:16 is the play where JGoodwin boxes out Adams.

I was so sick of seeing Memphis grabbing all those offensive boards.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,548

Post#23 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:38 pm

Don't think other teams are not watching, he could be pinched like Matthews
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,975

Post#24 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:38 pm

Might have to convert him to a standard contract.

But that would necessitate a trade or someone getting cut… & Ted going into the tax
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#25 » by BearlyBallin » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:58 pm

Goodwin is on a two way contract so he can’t be poached by another team, but he is limited to 50 days with the Wizards. Around that time maybe the team will have an open roster available for him.

I read somewhere his current salary is half of the rookie min, so around $ 509,000 ?
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,975

Post#26 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:43 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:Goodwin is on a two way contract so he can’t be poached by another team, but he is limited to 50 days with the Wizards. Around that time maybe the team will have an open roster available for him.

I read somewhere his current salary is half of the rookie min, so around $ 509,000 ?

Yup.

They should sign him to a Jose Alvarado deal
closg00
RealGM

Post#27 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:31 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:Goodwin is on a two way contract so he can’t be poached by another team, but he is limited to 50 days with the Wizards. Around that time maybe the team will have an open roster available for him.

Understood, but either he signs again on a two-way (unlikely), or the Wiz have to offer a contract. Given that we already have JD in the wings, the exact same set of circumstances that led to Matthews being pinched exists.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,909

Post#28 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:54 pm

closg00 wrote:Don't think other teams are not watching, he could be pinched like Matthews

To be sure, only... Mathews wasn't "pinched." We simply let him go! We didn't give Garrison a qualifying offer, so he became an unrestricted FA.

The point isn't that Garrison Mathews is a tremendous player -- he isn't. The point is that he was an asset with value, & we simply gave him away. We didn't get another player for him. We didn't get a R2 pick for him. Nothing.

That's amateur-level management. In the NBA or any business whatever.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM

Post#29 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:20 pm

closg00 wrote:

Understood, but either he signs again on a two-way (unlikely), or the Wiz have to offer a contract. Given that we already have JD in the wings, the exact same set of circumstances that led to Matthews being pinched exists.

Hey, we all want to keep Jordan Goodwin! Who wouldn't? But, no, the circumstances don't remotely resemble those around Mathews. I just posted a reminder of how that went down. The current situation is not similar.

We cannot convert Jordan Goodwin to a regular contract right now -- & it's hard to see how we'll be able to do it before the trade deadline.

Right now we have 15 guaranteed contracts. I.e., if we were to waive, say, Isaiah Todd to create a roster spot for Goodwin, we'd still have to pay Todd's full salary this year.

That alone probably wouldn't stand in the way of making the move, but... we are @$90K under the luxury tax line right now. Cutting Todd & signing Jordan would take us over that line. Thus, we'd be paying a high premium to add Goodwin.

Unless there's a big move at this year's trade deadline, it's not going to be possible to add him this year. & for that matter it won't get any easier for next year either! Here's why:

As it stands, we have just over $145m in guaranteed contracts to 11 players next year: Beal, KP, Kuzma, Morris, Wright, Deni, Davis, Kispert, Gafford, Gill & Todd.

In addition, we have a cheap team option on Vernon Carey at $2m, & assuming we don't make the playoffs (& have to give up our 2023 R1 pick) we'll add at least 1 rookie at @$4.5-5m & -- plus at least 1 player out of R2 (unless we keep mismanaging the draft, that is!).

That would give us 14 players at almost $152m -- i.e. over this year's luxury tax line.

According to https://hoopshype.com/salaries/washington_wizards/ we have the right to give Goodwin a qualifying offer for next year. That means we have some control over him. & we would have the roster spot to give him a multi-year contract. But how much room we'll have under next year's tax line will affect what kind of deal we can make.

Plus, I assume you've noticed that none of the preceding includes Rui. Of course, we don't have to pick up Carey's $2m option, in which case there'll be a roster spot for him. But, unless he signs for that same low $2m price, it's hard to see how we can wrap up Goodwin & still remain below the tax line. Unless, of course, it takes a pretty big jump!

You've probably also noticed that I included Todd for next year. That's b/c he has a fully guaranteed contract for next year too! Why did we give him 3 guaranteed years, you're wondering...? Beats me!

Thus, it should be obvious that we'll need to make some significant moves at this season's trade deadline if we are going to keep Goodwin.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
GoneShammGone
Junior
And1: 168

Post#30 » by GoneShammGone » Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:58 pm

payitforward wrote:
closg00 wrote:

Hey, we all want to keep Jordan Goodwin! Who wouldn't? But, no, the circumstances don't remotely resemble those around Mathews. I just posted a reminder of how that went down. The current situation is not similar.

We cannot convert Jordan Goodwin to a regular contract right now -- & it's hard to see how we'll be able to do it before the trade deadline.

Right now we have 15 guaranteed contracts. I.e., if we were to waive, say, Isaiah Todd to create a roster spot for Goodwin, we'd still have to pay Todd's full salary this year.

That alone probably wouldn't stand in the way of making the move, but... we are @$90K under the luxury tax line right now. Cutting Todd & signing Jordan would take us over that line. Thus, we'd be paying a high premium to add Goodwin.

Unless there's a big move at this year's trade deadline, it's not going to be possible to add him this year. & for that matter it won't get any easier for next year either! Here's why:

As it stands, we have just over $145m in guaranteed contracts to 11 players next year: Beal, KP, Kuzma, Morris, Wright, Deni, Davis, Kispert, Gafford, Gill & Todd.

In addition, we have a cheap team option on Vernon Carey at $2m, & assuming we don't make the playoffs (& have to give up our 2023 R1 pick) we'll add at least 1 rookie at @$4.5-5m & -- plus at least 1 player out of R2 (unless we keep mismanaging the draft, that is!).

That would give us 14 players at almost $152m -- i.e. over this year's luxury tax line.

According to https://hoopshype.com/salaries/washington_wizards/ we have the right to give Goodwin a qualifying offer for next year. That means we have some control over him. & we would have the roster spot to give him a multi-year contract. But how much room we'll have under next year's tax line will affect what kind of deal we can make.

Plus, I assume you've noticed that none of the preceding includes Rui. Of course, we don't have to pick up Carey's $2m option, in which case there'll be a roster spot for him. But, unless he signs for that same low $2m price, it's hard to see how we can wrap up Goodwin & still remain below the tax line. Unless, of course, it takes a pretty big jump!

You've probably also noticed that I included Todd for next year. That's b/c he has a fully guaranteed contract for next year too! Why did we give him 3 guaranteed years, you're wondering...? Beats me!

Thus, it should be obvious that we'll need to make some significant moves at this season's trade deadline if we are going to keep Goodwin.

Agree with all this, and just wanted to note that its even worse really, because Kyle has a player option for next year, and I think it's safe to say that he will opt out, and cost even more money. Tommy needs to work some magic before the deadline.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,992

Post#31 » by DCZards » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:44 pm

payitforward wrote:
closg00 wrote:Don't think other teams are not watching, he could be pinched like Matthews

To be sure, only... Mathews wasn't "pinched." We simply let him go! We didn't give Garrison a qualifying offer, so he became an unrestricted FA.

The point isn't that Garrison Mathews is a tremendous player -- he isn't. The point is that he was an asset with value, & we simply gave him away. We didn't get another player for him. We didn't get a R2 pick for him. Nothing.

It takes two to tangle (or trade) and it could be that Garrison wasn't worth another player or a R2 pick to another team.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#32 » by doclinkin » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:16 pm

GoneShammGone wrote:Agree with all this, and just wanted to note that its even worse really, because Kyle has a player option for next year, and I think it's safe to say that he will opt out, and cost even more money. Tommy needs to work some magic before the deadline.

Kuzma is auditioning for another team right now. Pretty sure he doesn't necessarily want to be #3 behind the Quarter Billion dollar man. And it is not lost on him or the rest of the NBA that the team is winning without Beal, with Kuz playing a starring role.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#33 » by Frichuela » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:20 pm

doclinkin wrote:
GoneShammGone wrote:Agree with all this, and just wanted to note that its even worse really, because Kyle has a player option for next year, and I think it's safe to say that he will opt out, and cost even more money. Tommy needs to work some magic before the deadline.

Kuzma is auditioning for another team right now. Pretty sure he doesn't necessarily want to be #3 behind the Quarter Billion dollar man. And it is not lost on him or the rest of the NBA that the team is winning without Beal, with Kuz playing a starring role.

Yes. This may well be the case come free agency. Depressing to think that this current roster may be our peak as long as Beal is in the books...
closg00
RealGM

Post#34 » by closg00 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:25 pm

payitforward wrote:
closg00 wrote:

Not sure where we disagree in-terms of what the Wizards can do, after his two-way expires they can offer another, or offer him the qualifying which is unlikely with Johnny Davis, but it's possible.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#35 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:24 am

DCZards wrote:
payitforward wrote:

It takes two to tangle (or trade) and it could be that Garrison wasn't worth another player or a R2 pick to another team.

We'll never know, will we? Because, we couldn't have traded him: we didn't have his rights.

Why didn't we have his rights? Because we gave up his rights -- we didn't give him a qualifying offer. Thus, he became an Unrestricted Free Agent.

One way or another, Garrison Mathews has demonstrated that he he's enough of a player to be worth a guaranteed, regular-roster NBA contract. & we had his rights. There's no "it could be..." story you can tell that makes it ok to simply let a guy like that go. It's an example of slipshod management. Period.

Jordan Goodwin was available to us because he "wasn't worth..." anything "to another team." Would that make it a good idea for us to have passed on him.

Anyway, the proof is in the pudding as they say: over the previous 4 seasons we played 324 games. We won 127 of them.

It's not written in the stars that we have to be a bad team, Zards. We are a bad team because of -- & only because of -- the decisions our management makes.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,452

Post#36 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:56 pm

doclinkin wrote:

I disagree. I suspect Kuzma likes it here. The Wizards have accepted him as one of the 3 headliner stars whereas he was treated as a role player in LA. He led the team in total minutes last year until the late-season injury, and he is leading in total minutes again this year.

I really do think that Beal has tried to defer to his team more this year instead of demanding to be the headliner. His FGA's are down 30% from his peak 2 years ago. That's a heck of a lot. I don't really think there's a dynamic where guys like Porzingis and Kuzma are disgruntled because Beal is undeservedly jacking up a disproportionate amount of shots. Maybe the ball is still "sticking" too much when Beal is in the game, but it's not an issue of selfishness. It's more an issue of chemistry.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,992

Post#37 » by DCZards » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:03 pm

nate33 wrote:I disagree. I suspect Kuzma likes it here. The Wizards have accepted him as one of the 3 headliner stars whereas he was treated as a role player in LA. He led the team in total minutes last year until the late-season injury, and he is leading in total minutes again this year.

I really do think that Beal has tried to defer to his team more this year instead of demanding to be the headliner. His FGA's are down 30% from his peak 2 years ago. That's a heck of a lot. I don't really think there's a dynamic where guys like Porzingis and Kuzma are disgruntled because Beal is undeservedly jacking up a disproportionate amount of shots. Maybe the ball is still "sticking" too much when Beal is in the game, but it's not an issue of selfishness. It's more an issue of chemistry.

I agree. Kuz likes it here. He’s a fan fav and has embraced (and seems to enjoy) the mantle as a team leader…maybe even THE team leader. On top of that, he’s getting to play with his childhood friend (Morris) and his college teammate (Wright), who Kuz recruited to DC.

And, contrary to previous speculation, Kuz’s relationship with Beal appears to be a good one. Since Beal’s been out, I’ve noticed that whenever Kuz comes out of the game he goes to end of the bench where he sits next to and chats/laughs with BB. The two look to be tight.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#38 » by payitforward » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:12 pm

Add me to the chorus: Kuz looks like he's comfortable, & I'm sure he & Brad get along fine -- in fact, I don't think he has a rep for being "difficult." If anything it's the opposite. & for sure the team likes him as a marketing symbol -- in fact, this is one of the things that makes me think they might actually be willing to get rid of Rui despite his unique draw on a spendy market.

The only problem is that Kuz isn't a good NBA player. Hence, what does it tell you that the organization is more than willing to push him forward into a "face of the franchise" role?

What it tells me is that Monumental Sports doesn't think that winning is particularly important. Apparently, they have seen no indication that not winning has any negative effect on their numbers.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,946

Post#39 » by Frichuela » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:53 am

payitforward wrote:Add me to the chorus: Kuz looks like he's comfortable, & I'm sure he & Brad get along fine -- in fact, I don't think he has a rep for being "difficult." If anything it's the opposite. & for sure the team likes him as a marketing symbol -- in fact, this is one of the things that makes me think they might actually be willing to get rid of Rui despite his unique draw on a spendy market.

The only problem is that Kuz isn't a good NBA player. Hence, what does it tell you that the organization is more than willing to push him forward into a "face of the franchise" role?

What it tells me is that Monumental Sports doesn't think that winning is particularly important. Apparently, they have seen no indication that not winning has any negative effect on their numbers.

Point, set and match my friend. It is what it is in Turd’s
fancy world…the bottom line is what matters and nothing else.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#40 » by doclinkin » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:20 am

Frichuela wrote:Point, set and match my friend. It is what it is in Turd’s
fancy world…the bottom line is what matters and nothing else.

And the double bottom line. He wants to be thought of as a good guy. So winning is not the only thing, you can win at being a nice guy. Admirable idea, but it doesn't translate into championships. Mostly turns to self-congratulatory back-patting and feeling smugly that you are better than other people even when you are losing, because you are doing so with good character:

TED: "When developed correctly, a double-bottom line creates a happy and what I believe to be a more successful organization. A company should strive to make profits, but it also should be in pursuit of a high calling or some larger purpose. It also provides an outlet for employees to feel that they are helping to make a difference in their community or in support of a particular cause."

Return to Washington Wizards