Re: Out of Nowhere: the Official Jordan Goodwin Thread 

Post#41 » by dckingsfan » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:17 pm

Any update on the injury?
JAR69
Senior
And1: 224

Post#42 » by JAR69 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:51 pm

It's unfortunate that he is not eligible for ROY because he played [checks notes] 3 minutes over 2 games with the Wizards last season. He would be first or second in RAPTOR among rookies if he was (depending on where you make the minutes cutoff). For goodness sake, he is 43rd in the entire league in RAPTOR for players with more than 100 minutes.
"It takes talent, strategy and millions of dollars to compete in the N.B.A. But regret is the league’s greatest currency." - Howard Beck
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#43 » by DCZards » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:46 pm

I’m really digging the combination of poise and fire that Goodwin is bringing when he’s on the court. Wes Jr. must like it too because he’s letting Jordan close out games where his pestering defense, as well as his ability to bring the ball up court under pressure, has been a real asset.

Goodwin is also taking a lot of the late game ballhandling responsibility away from Beal, which is in the best interest of both the Zards and Beal.

Starting to see some nice offensive moves from JG as well, including a floater that has enabled him to get into the paint and shoot over taller defenders.

I recall reading this article about Goodwin last May. Made me start paying more attention with him as a Go-Go.

The Wizards need new blood at the back-up point guard position. Could Jordan Goodwin be the answer?

"Jordan Goodwin, who spent his first year as a professional basketball player with the Capital City Go-Go, joined me on the Bleav in Wizards podcast this week. Goodwin also had a 10-day contract with the Wizards this season but the majority of his production came at the G League level. He was very insightful in this interview and just hearing about his mindset and desire to be a high-level defender left me hoping Sheppard and company give him a real chance to make next year’s team."

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2022/5/16/23074087/washington-wizards-backup-point-guard-jordan-goodwin-capital-city-go-go-jose-alvarado-defense
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Post#44 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:28 pm

The good news is that we have Goodwin under team control for another year. As a two-way player on an Exhibit 10 contract, all we have to do is extend a $2M qualifying offer this summer and he will be ineligible to join any other team. I'd definitely look to lock him up to a longer deal though. I'd love to have him for 3 years, $12M or something like that.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,335

Post#45 » by dobrojim » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:46 pm

He's playing great both in his poise and generally his execution.

Creates a good 'problem' for when Wright gets back.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#46 » by NatP4 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:24 pm

nate33 wrote:The good news is that we have Goodwin under team control for another year. As a two-way player on an Exhibit 10 contract, all we have to do is extend a $2M qualifying offer this summer and he will be ineligible to join any other team. I'd definitely look to lock him up to a longer deal though. I'd love to have him for 3 years, $12M or something like that.

Quality starting PG of the future. We are pretty set at guard with Wright/Goodwin for the next 2 years.

In 300 minutes per 36:

12.1 points 4.9 assists 6.2 rebounds 1.5 steals 1.5 blocks 1.6 turnovers 63% TS. Plays both ends at a high level.

For as good of a find as Goodwin is, I think Dotson is an even better find.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#47 » by nate33 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:28 pm

NatP4 wrote:
nate33 wrote:The good news is that we have Goodwin under team control for another year. As a two-way player on an Exhibit 10 contract, all we have to do is extend a $2M qualifying offer this summer and he will be ineligible to join any other team. I'd definitely look to lock him up to a longer deal though. I'd love to have him for 3 years, $12M or something like that.

Quality starting PG of the future. We are pretty set at guard with Wright/Goodwin for the next 2 years.

In 300 minutes per 36:

12.1 points 4.9 assists 6.2 rebounds 1.5 steals 1.5 blocks 1.6 turnovers 63% TS. Plays both ends at a high level.

For as good of a find as Goodwin is, I think Dotson is an even better find.

Yeah, I'm not sure he could be the starting PG on a a PG-driven team built around a high pick-and-roll offense (like, say, Atlanta or Phoenix), but he really looks like he could be a role-playing starting PG alongside a primary ball handling forward or shooting guard. His defense and shooting efficiency are exactly what teams want in a role-playing PG. He's the kind of guy that brings a lot to the table without taking anything away.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#48 » by NatP4 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:33 pm

Someday when Johnny Davis turns into our Donovan Mitchell, Goodwin will be a nice fit next to him at PG.
GoneShammGone
Junior
And1: 168

Post#49 » by GoneShammGone » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:49 pm

Bumping this. Ok, its pretty clear now that Jordan is a legit NBA rotation player. His defense and shooting alone makes him playable, and I think there is still room for his overall floor-game to develop. We lucked into him, so we better keep him.

But at some point the clock runs out on his 2-way time with the wizards, and at that point they have to convert him to a regular contract. So who gets cut? I mean obviously Todd is useless, but will they really cut him when he has another year guaranteed? I like what Carey has been able to do in the G-league, so I don't want to see him go. Maybe we can open up a roster space as part of a Kuz trade?

What is the plan here?
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#50 » by FAH1223 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:59 pm

GoneShammGone wrote:Bumping this. Ok, its pretty clear now that Jordan is a legit NBA rotation player. His defense and shooting alone makes him playable, and I think there is still room for his overall floor-game to develop. We lucked into him, so we better keep him.

But at some point the clock runs out on his 2-way time with the wizards, and at that point they have to convert him to a regular contract. So who gets cut? I mean obviously Todd is useless, but will they really cut him when he has another year guaranteed? I like what Carey has been able to do in the G-league, so I don't want to see him go. Maybe we can open up a roster space as part of a Kuz trade?

What is the plan here?

I think Tommy is going to make a trade which opens up a roster spot for Jordan.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#51 » by nate33 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:31 pm

GoneShammGone wrote:Bumping this. Ok, its pretty clear now that Jordan is a legit NBA rotation player. His defense and shooting alone makes him playable, and I think there is still room for his overall floor-game to develop. We lucked into him, so we better keep him.

What is the plan here?

I don't think there is an issue.

A two-way player can play up to 50 NBA games without having to be converted to a full vet-minimum contract. As long as Goodwin isn't needed for 51 or more games, he'll just stay a two-way player (and thereby will not count against our cap or luxtax). Basically, once Wright gets back, they'll just need to park Goodwin in the G-League for 27 more games and there will be no problem.

The alternative is to give him a real NBA contract, but then he will count against the cap and put us over the luxury tax. I don't think that's going to happen unless we make some unrelated traded that frees up about $1.1M in additional luxtax room.
GoneShammGone
Junior

Post#52 » by GoneShammGone » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:20 pm

nate33 wrote:

What is the plan here?

I don't think there is an issue.

A two-way player can play up to 50 NBA games without having to be converted to a full vet-minimum contract. As long as Goodwin isn't needed for 51 or more games, he'll just stay a two-way player (and thereby will not count against our cap or luxtax). Basically, once Wright gets back, they'll just need to park Goodwin in the G-League for 27 more games and there will be no problem.

The alternative is to give him a real NBA contract, but then he will count against the cap and put us over the luxury tax. I don't think that's going to happen unless we make some unrelated traded that frees up about $1.1M in additional luxtax room.

OK that is good to hear! I had the impression that the 2-way player was limited to 50 *days* not games. That gives us a ton more wiggle room. Although I don't like the idea of planting Goodwin back in the G-League when I'd much rather watch him play for the Wiz than Will Freaking Barton. But these are the things we have to sacrifice for the tank....
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,932

Post#53 » by Frichuela » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:55 pm

Yeah! Time to refloat this. Well deserved contract for Jordan!

His per 36 numbers are very strong:

12.6 pts on 45% FGs, 39% 3pt, 75% FT, 6.5 rebs, 2.0 steals, 1.0 block, 4.9 assists, 1.8 turnovers and 3.3 fouls.

He has a ORtg of 114 and DRtg of 111.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by Frichuela » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:07 pm

Looking at 538's Raptor, Goodwin is our 2nd best defender after Delon Wright and ahead of Porzingis, Gafford and Deni:

Defensive Raptor:
Wright +4.8
Goodwin +3.2
Porzingis +1.7
Gafford +1.1
Deni +1.0
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/
GoneShammGone
Junior

Post#55 » by GoneShammGone » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:17 pm

Love it! Any word on whether this contract is for more than the remainder of this season?
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#56 » by FAH1223 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:56 am

GoneShammGone wrote:Love it! Any word on whether this contract is for more than the remainder of this season?

I believe he was on a 1-year two way. So it’s a converted 1-year minimum deal.

I’d give him a 3-year $10M deal right now. Similar to what Spurs did with Bassey.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#57 » by FAH1223 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:55 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#58 » by W. Unseld » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:18 pm

dobrojim wrote:
DCZards wrote:.

There were one or 2 of us who got intrigued after the last (or 2nd to last) preseason game in which
he made a couple of positive plays but since we're all Wizard's fans, any notion of optimism about JG
was summarily dismissed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NatP4
RealGM

Post#59 » by NatP4 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:59 pm

Seems like a solid deal. Lock up a solid rotation piece, and a winning player for his age 24/25/26 seasons.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by Frichuela » Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:01 pm

NatP4 wrote:Seems like a solid deal. Lock up a solid rotation piece, and a winning player for his age 24/25/26 seasons.

Yep. Good signing indeed!

Return to Washington Wizards