Official Trade Thread Part XLV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,360

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLV 

Post#1901 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:31 pm

Frichuela wrote:Despite the latest ramblings from the West Coast that GS would "loathe to trade Kuminga", I still think he is a plausible target for the Wizards. I also think a versatile player such as Kuz makes a lot of sense for GS. He brings championship experience and is signed to a good value descending contract. How about this 3-team trade scenario:

WAS sends Kuzma+Kispert and gets Kuminga+GS 2026 1st (top-10 protected) +our own 2024 2nd back from Detroit+fodder (Harris, Hayes). Lowering the protection on GS 2030 1st (top-20) could be also discussed, although this is probably too much for GS to agree.

GS gets Kuzma+Kispert and sends Wiggins+Kuminga+2026 1st (top-10 protected)

DET gets Wiggins and sends Harris+Hayes+WAS 2024 2nd.

GS gets two rotation worthy players that replace the discontent Kuminga and they get out of the contract for the underperforming Wiggins.
DET gets an experienced young vet (Wiggins) in the hope of resurrecting his career. Beggars can be choosers I guess...
For us, we get a core of Kuminga/Deni/Bilal as our 3 wings of the future with 2-way development potential.

I like it!

I think GS is giving up a bit too much though. Maybe if we give back that heavily protected 2030 pick they owe us it could make sense. That gives them more flexibility to make a future trade, and frankly, I don't think that pick will ever convey.

So it would be:

WAS outgoing: Kuzma, Kispert, 2030 GSW FRP (top 20pr)
WAS incoming: Kuminga, 2026 GSW FRP (top 10pr), 2024 WAS SRP, Harris (exp), Hayes (exp)

GSW outgoing: Wiggins, 2026 GSW FRP (top 10pr)
GSW incoming: Kuzma, Kispert, 2030 GSW FRP (top 20pr)

DET outgoing: Harris, Hayes, 2024 WAS SRP
DET incoming: Wiggins

I'd push to reduce the protection on that incoming 2026 pick from top 10 to top 4, but if stays at top 10, I'd want their 2027 pick if the 2026 doesn't convey.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1902 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:38 pm

penbeast0 wrote:
Frichuela wrote:Despite the latest ramblings from the West Coast that GS would "loathe to trade Kuminga", I still think he is a plausible target for the Wizards. I also think a versatile player such as Kuz makes a lot of sense for GS. He brings championship experience and is signed to a good value descending contract. How about this 3-team trade scenario:

WAS sends Kuzma+Kispert and gets Kuminga+GS 2026 1st (top-10 protected) +our own 2024 2nd back from Detroit+fodder (Harris, Hayes). Lowering the protection on GS 2030 1st (top-20) could be also discussed, although this is probably too much for GS to agree.

GS gets Kuzma+Kispert and sends Wiggins+Kuminga+2026 1st (top-10 protected)

DET gets Wiggins and sends Harris+Hayes+WAS 2024 2nd.

GS gets two rotation worthy players that replace the discontent Kuminga and they get out of the contract for the underperforming Wiggins.
DET gets an experienced young vet (Wiggins) in the hope of resurrecting his career. Beggars can be choosers I guess...
For us, we get a core of Kuminga/Deni/Bilal as our 3 wings of the future with 2-way development potential.

Is Kuminga worth more than Kispert? I'm not nearly as high on Kispert as Nate but he has shown he's an efficient 3 point shooting threat and his usage is up this year. Kuminga is a freak athlete but hasn't shown an NBA skill set yet. He's more inefficient than Kuzma and his efficiency numbers are down this year, hasn't developed any real range on his shot, and doesn't play with a high BBIQ either offensively or defensively though, as I said, very athletic. I'd deal Kispert for him straight up as his ceiling is higher, but if Kuzma is worth two bad 1sts or 1 good first (supposedly our ask), I don't think Kuminga is worth that much more than Kispert. Maybe Kispert and Johnny Davis or the like.

I view the trade as basically Kispert for Kuminga and Kuzma for a mid-FRP plus a high-SRP. Seems about right to me. And as I said, I'd probably give back that 2030 GSW pick to sweeten the deal, which might assuage those who believe Kuzma isn't worth this much.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Post#1903 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:05 pm

penbeast0 wrote:... if Kuzma is worth two bad 1sts or 1 good first (supposedly our ask)....

Where'd you read that valuation for Kuz? Or that it's what we're asking...?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#1904 » by penbeast0 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:23 pm

“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,323

Post#1905 » by NatP4 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:36 pm

Kuminga would just show up and fill the box score every night on a tanking team and command way too much money as a RFA. He’s redundant with Bilal. Trading one guy in Kispert that is great for team culture, for another guy that is reportedly disgruntled and displeased with his role with his dynasty/hall of fame team.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1906 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:53 pm

NatP4 wrote:Kuminga would just show up and fill the box score every night on a tanking team and command way too much money as a RFA. He’s redundant with Bilal. Trading one guy in Kispert that is great for team culture, for another guy that is reportedly disgruntled and displeased with his role with his dynasty/hall of fame team.

This is a reasonable take. There is definitely a downside risk to a Kispert for Kuminga swap.

But I'd still do it because of the 4-year age disparity and the possibility that Kuminga is more suited as an on-ball shot creator than an off-ball 3&D role player.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1907 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:55 pm

NatP4 wrote:Kuminga would just show up and fill the box score every night on a tanking team and command way too much money as a RFA. He’s redundant with Bilal. Trading one guy in Kispert that is great for team culture, for another guy that is reportedly disgruntled and displeased with his role with his dynasty/hall of fame team.

Agreed..this trade is awful.
First, we trade Kispert, who I think has much more offensive upside than we have seen so far. But even if he doesn't, he's a young playmakers best friend as a guy who can be highly efficient on little usage.
We trade him for Kuminga, who will put up counting stats and get a huge contract in FA despite is nominal at best effect on winning.

But is no one seeing that we trade Kuz (3/64M left) for Wiggins (3/85M left). Kuz is playing much better on both ends of the court, 6-months younger, 25% cheaper, and likes playing here.

What is this mess? Do you really want to be paying $60M to Wiggins and Kuminga in 2 years?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1908 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:58 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

First, we trade Kispert, who I think has much more offensive upside than we have seen so far. But even if he doesn't, he's a young playmakers best friend as a guy who can be highly efficient on little usage.
We trade him for Kuminga, who will put up counting stats and get a huge contract in FA despite is nominal at best effect on winning.

But is no one seeing that we trade Kuz (3/64M left) for Wiggins (3/85M left). Kuz is playing much better on both ends of the court, 6-months younger, 25% cheaper, and likes playing here.

What is this mess? Do you really want to be paying $60M to Wiggins and Kuminga in 2 years?

We don't get Wiggins in this trade. We are essentially trading Kispert for Kuminga and then turning Kuzma into expiring contracts plus the WAS 2024 2RP and a minimally protected GSW 2026 FRP.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#1909 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jan 8, 2024 7:23 pm

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

We don't get Wiggins in this trade. We are essentially trading Kispert for Kuminga and then turning Kuzma into expiring contracts plus the WAS 2024 2RP and a minimally protected GSW 2026 FRP.

Ah ok... But why would ANY team give up expirings and a top 35 pick for Wiggins? He's Jordan Poole level bad (maybe not quite) so far this year and turning 29.
The return is fair, but I would rather keep Kispert and/or move Kuminga to another team for another protected 1st.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1910 » by payitforward » Mon Jan 8, 2024 7:50 pm

1. Wiggins is toast. He was never as good as he was supposed to be, & this year he's been absolutely awful. OTOH, he's owed $110m. No way I can see that Detroit would want to acquire him

2. Any FRP would be a great deal in return for Kuz. Would the appeal of his declining contract suffice to get more than that? Who knows?

3. Kispert is having a down year so far -- but, don't exaggerate! He's posting a 61.2% TS%. Yes, Kuminga is 3.5 years younger, but the truth is that he's hasn't shown the ability to be a productive NBA player. & he's logged @3500 minutes, so....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1911 » by NatP4 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:09 pm

Would the pelicans give us Dyson Daniels for Tyus Jones? Pelicans should be buyers at the deadline.

Kispert to Orlando for #18+Filler (Jonathan Isaac?)
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1912 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:14 pm

NatP4 wrote:Would the pelicans give us Dyson Daniels for Tyus Jones? Pelicans should be buyers at the deadline.

I've been trying to come up with a rationale for New Orleans to trade Daniels to us, but I just can't find one.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1913 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:11 pm

The team that could probably use Kuzma the most is the LA Lakers. But I just can't figure out a good trade to make it work because they don't really have anything I want. They can trade their 2029 FRP, but that's a long time off.

If we wait until after the draft this summer, they can trade us their 2025 FRP. That's definitely something that would interest me, particularly if that pick is unprotected or minimally protected. It's a distinct possibility that Lebron or AD get hurt and the Lakers finish with 30 wins.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#1914 » by pcbothwel » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:18 pm

nate33 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:Would the pelicans give us Dyson Daniels for Tyus Jones? Pelicans should be buyers at the deadline.

I've been trying to come up with a rationale for New Orleans to trade Daniels to us, but I just can't find one.

I mean, I love Daniels defense & IQ...but he's closing in on 2k minutes in the NBA and has shooting splits of 42/30/66 and doesnt draw fouls. A guard that shoots 30% from 3 (All Catch and shoot BTW) is hard to overcome.
Assuming the offer is fair, are they really going to hold out hope that he becomes Marcus Smart?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1915 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:31 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I mean, I love Daniels defense & IQ...but he's closing in on 2k minutes in the NBA and has shooting splits of 42/30/66 and doesnt draw fouls. A guard that shoots 30% from 3 (All Catch and shoot BTW) is hard to overcome.
Assuming the offer is fair, are they really going to hold out hope that he becomes Marcus Smart?

He is 20 years old and is now in the regular rotation of a 22-15 team in the west. He is an elite defender, averages 2.2 steals per 36, and has a 3:1 A/TO ratio. He is actually posting numbers quite similar to 20-year-old Marcus Smart, only with more rebounding, fewer turnovers and better efficiency.

I suppose the real argument against him is that we already have the same type of player in Deni Avdija. It's hard to fit two non-shooting wings on the court at the same time. But I just think this team has such a desperate need for a backcourt defender that it would be worth it.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#1916 » by NatP4 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 10:58 pm

Daniels put up 14-6-5 on 6 total shots last night. He’s one of the most under the radar outstanding young players in the league in my view, and a realistic target for us, just can’t find a trade that would make sense for NOP.

There’s just not any filler contracts on that roster. Gafford+Tyus for Daniels+filler might make sense. NOP really doesn’t need another C though with Zion and Jonas.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1917 » by payitforward » Tue Jan 9, 2024 12:41 am

Looking at the box score for that NO-Sac game I noticed that Keon Ellis had a great game for Sac'to. In a mere 12 minutes, he scored 13 points on on only 6 shots while grabbing 2 offensive boards & a steal.

Ellis went undrafted in 2022, and several of us here thought he had a chance to be a good player in the league. Ruzious for one -- & every time I think of Ruzious I wish he was still participating & I worry how he is!!

Come back, Ruzious!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1918 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:42 pm

Just a random draft thought:

Do you realize that, in the last 50 years, our best draft picks were John Wall, Bradley Beal and Rasheed Wallace? 27 of those 50 seasons were losing seasons so we had a good pick, but we never managed to draft a single All-NBA 2nd Team guy? Our draft picks collectively managed to make a grand total of two All-NBA 3rd teams? That's it?

In the past 16 years alone, OKC has managed to draft 4 guys better than our best guy of the last 50 drafts.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,936

Post#1919 » by Frichuela » Tue Jan 9, 2024 5:07 pm

nate33 wrote:Just a random draft thought:

Do you realize that, in the last 50 years, our best draft picks were John Wall, Bradley Beal and Rasheed Wallace? 27 of those 50 seasons were losing seasons so we had a good pick, but we never managed to draft a single All-NBA 2nd Team guy? Our draft picks collectively managed to make a grand total of two All-NBA 3rd teams? That's it?

In the past 16 years alone, OKC has managed to draft 4 guys better than our best guy of the last 50 drafts.

Depressing stat, but maybe OKC alumni Will Dawkins can change our fortunes…

I was impressed last night watching OKC’s potential and what they have assembled already. Shai, Chet and Williams make a young exciting big 3.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#1920 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 11:06 pm

Bilal looks like he has the skill to break that streak alone and Deni might just make an all defence team if he keeps it up

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Washington Wizards