ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread Part XLV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,937

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLV 

Post#1921 » by Frichuela » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:51 pm

Posted this trade on the realgm trade board...

DET gets Kuminga+Wiggins
GSW gets Kispert+Kuzma
WAS gets Ivey+Isaac+ORL 1st
ORL gets Bogdanovic
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,375

Post#1922 » by doclinkin » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:06 pm

nate33 wrote:Just a random draft thought:

Do you realize that, in the last 50 years, our best draft picks were John Wall, Bradley Beal and Rasheed Wallace? 27 of those 50 seasons were losing seasons so we had a good pick, but we never managed to draft a single All-NBA 2nd Team guy? Our draft picks collectively managed to make a grand total of two All-NBA 3rd teams? That's it?

In the past 16 years alone, OKC has managed to draft 4 guys better than our best guy of the last 50 drafts.

You know? It's like: did we build our franchise over a Native burial ground or something? They say even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes, to me I'm like: can we hire that blind squirrel for GM? Something. I mean any one of us has a roster of players they liked in the draft that would be better than what we ended up with.

Idea for a thread I guess, the Woulda Coulda Shoulda Re-Draft that includes both the mistakes you would have made, as well as your top pick at that spot if you were the talent evaluator. Or because our memories are flawed, 2 teams, the team you would have made if you picked the best player you liked in that draft, vs the team made with the worst pick you would have made at that spot. Pretty for sure some of us, building a team with even the worst guy (of our top choices) would have made for a better team than the lost sock and holey underwear collection we ended up with over time.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#1923 » by tontoz » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:41 pm

doclinkin wrote:
nate33 wrote:Just a random draft thought:

Do you realize that, in the last 50 years, our best draft picks were John Wall, Bradley Beal and Rasheed Wallace? 27 of those 50 seasons were losing seasons so we had a good pick, but we never managed to draft a single All-NBA 2nd Team guy? Our draft picks collectively managed to make a grand total of two All-NBA 3rd teams? That's it?

In the past 16 years alone, OKC has managed to draft 4 guys better than our best guy of the last 50 drafts.

You know? It's like: did we build our franchise over a Native burial ground or something? They say even a blind squirrel gets a nut sometimes, to me I'm like: can we hire that blind squirrel for GM? Something. I mean any one of us has a roster of players they liked in the draft that would be better than what we ended up with.

Idea for a thread I guess, the Woulda Coulda Shoulda Re-Draft that includes both the mistakes you would have made, as well as your top pick at that spot if you were the talent evaluator. Or because our memories are flawed, 2 teams, the team you would have made if you picked the best player you liked in that draft, vs the team made with the worst pick you would have made at that spot. Pretty for sure some of us, building a team with even the worst guy (of our top choices) would have made for a better team than the lost sock and holey underwear collection we ended up with over time.

I remember an old thread with a poll about who everyone DIDN'T want to draft at 6 in 2011. The overwhelming winner was Jan Vesely who of course was our pick. :nonono:
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,679

Post#1924 » by penbeast0 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:25 pm

To be fair, Vesely was a much stronger choice than trading the #5 pick (Rubio, could have been Curry) for Randy Foye (who we didn't even resign) and the aged corpse of Mike Miller. And we were all pretty clear on the board then too.

For that matter, I was in the Cap Center yelling for the team to take Karl Malone when they went for Kenny Green.

Fan choice would certainly have been an improvement over reality even though the majority opinion was frequently wrong as well.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1925 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:16 am

penbeast0 wrote:To be fair, Vesely was a much stronger choice than trading the #5 pick (Rubio, could have been Curry) for Randy Foye (who we didn't even resign) and the aged corpse of Mike Miller. And we were all pretty clear on the board then too.

For that matter, I was in the Cap Center yelling for the team to take Karl Malone when they went for Kenny Green.

Fan choice would certainly have been an improvement over reality even though the majority opinion was frequently wrong as well.

My dad mentioned that several times over the years. :lol:
penbeast0

Post#1926 » by penbeast0 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:43 pm

So many of us mentioned it, they quit having draft parties at the arena
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,361

Post#1927 » by nate33 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:54 pm

penbeast0 wrote:To be fair, Vesely was a much stronger choice than trading the #5 pick (Rubio, could have been Curry) for Randy Foye (who we didn't even resign) and the aged corpse of Mike Miller. And we were all pretty clear on the board then too.

Sadly, this is incorrect. Vesely was, in fact, even worse than a one-year rental of Mike Miller and Randy Foye.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1928 » by tontoz » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:06 pm

nate33 wrote:

Sadly, this is incorrect. Vesely was, in fact, even worse than a one-year rental of Mike Miller and Randy Foye.

This is what we've been reduced to, debating the magnitude of suckage in our draft failures.
penbeast0

Post#1929 » by penbeast0 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:07 pm

For 40+ years.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#1930 » by Frichuela » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:07 pm

I wonder if this ends up being a 3 team trade where the Wiz are the 3rd leg sending Kuz to GS…

Apparently IND rather trade for a more defensively minded forward than Kuz…although not sure Wiggins is that guy either…

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw
The Consiglieri
Starter
And1: 510

Post#1931 » by The Consiglieri » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:28 am

nate33 wrote:The team that could probably use Kuzma the most is the LA Lakers. But I just can't figure out a good trade to make it work because they don't really have anything I want. They can trade their 2029 FRP, but that's a long time off.

If we wait until after the draft this summer, they can trade us their 2025 FRP. That's definitely something that would interest me, particularly if that pick is unprotected or minimally protected. It's a distinct possibility that Lebron or AD get hurt and the Lakers finish with 30 wins.

I also just think Lakers 1sts are the least valuable picks of a mismanaged team with remarkable consistency because they are so unbelievably effective at luring elite free agents. It's LA, for one, and then there's the history for two, which includes being competitive for titles just about every decade going back to the sixties. I would not want to ever be in a situation where I'm praying every offseason elite free agents refuse to join that team. It just feels like its not remotely worth the trouble. Better to target teams that have trouble luring free agents, and might fall off a cliff suddenly at any time (teams like Indiana, Toronto, Milwaukee etc). Their long term futures at least are potentially intriguing because no free agents want to go to places like that. I'm just spit balling on teams, but I do believe in that approach. Every once in a while you have a team in an attractive spot that's so sabotaged by an idiot owner, that acquiring their firsts still makes sense (the knicks the previous couple of decades, the clippers under Sterling), but with the Lakers? Man, I just don't think they're firsts are worth anything unless they're like 5-50 and its February and its this year's first.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 838

Post#1932 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:51 am

I do kinda smell a Kuz trade coming. Golden State and Lakers both need another guy.

Tbh, we should trade for all of the Suns picks in the 2030s. Bilal Coulibaly's grandkids might lead the Wiz to 50 wins and the second round of the playoffs.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1933 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:33 pm

Frichuela wrote:I wonder if this ends up being a 3 team trade where the Wiz are the 3rd leg sending Kuz to GS…

Apparently IND rather trade for a more defensively minded forward than Kuz…although not sure Wiggins is that guy either…

Read on Twitter

Wiggins to Indiana makes pretty good sense from Indiana's standpoint. Wiggins was pretty darn good until this season's inexplicable collapse. Given the size of his contract, he will probably cost nothing but Hield's expiring contract to obtain. Golden State might even offer some incentive to offload him.

But from Golden State's standpoint, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't think Golden State is ready to blow things up and announce an end to the Curry era just yet. So they're not going to want to extinguish Wiggins' salary slot. They could move Wiggins, but they want a viable veteran player back, not an expiring contract of a guy that they don't want going forward.

If a third team is involved, they would be absorbing Hield's contract and sending a useful player on a longer term contract to Golden State. I suppose we could be that third team where we send them Kuzma, but we would need additional incentive from Golden State. I'd want their 2026 FRP and for them to scale back the protection on the 2030 FRP they already owe us.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant

Post#1934 » by Frichuela » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
Frichuela wrote:I wonder if this ends up being a 3 team trade where the Wiz are the 3rd leg sending Kuz to GS…

Read on Twitter

Wiggins to Indiana makes pretty good sense from Indiana's standpoint. Wiggins was pretty darn good until this season's inexplicable collapse. Given the size of his contract, he will probably cost nothing but Hield's expiring contract to obtain. Golden State might even offer some incentive to offload him.

But from Golden State's standpoint, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't think Golden State is ready to blow things up and announce an end to the Curry era just yet. So they're not going to want to extinguish Wiggins' salary slot. They could move Wiggins, but they want a viable veteran player back, not an expiring contract of a guy that they don't want going forward.

If a third team is involved, they would be absorbing Hield's contract and sending a useful player on a longer term contract to Golden State. I suppose we could be that third team where we send them Kuzma, but we would need additional incentive from Golden State. I'd want their 2026 FRP and for them to scale back the protection on the 2030 FRP they already owe us.

Yep. And I’d also try to push for getting disgruntled Kuminga in the trade. Some on this board would disagree, but I think he is worth shoot. Bottom line: we need to get enough bites of the apple both through draft and young talented players.
penbeast0

Post#1935 » by penbeast0 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:14 pm

If we can get Kuminga for very little, sure. On his rookie scale, he's worth what he's making. If we have to give up significant future pieces, I'm highly doubtful that Kuminga ever develops into anything but a bust. Even in GS, he's been an inefficient scorer, his range is questionable, his decision making and attitude have also been questioned at times. He's an NBA caliber athlete so his potential is still there, but while I would trade a Johnny Davis for him, I wouldn't go as far as dealing Gafford, Avdija, or anything more than absolutely minimal draft capital for him. And I don't believe GS would move him for the nothingburger offer I'd make.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,119

Post#1936 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:37 pm

nate33 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Jones has been on the **** rampage! He's so good right now! Do you keep him as a stable vet or do you move him for high value!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

We should absolutely move him. The problem is, how much are teams willing to pay for a guy who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer? The teams that would pay the most for him are over-the-cap teams who would value having his Bird Rights. But how many teams really need a PG like Tyus?

Minnesota would be perfect with Tyus ultimately replacing Conley as the PG of the future, but they have no assets.

Orlando could use a PG, but they're going to have cap room this summer so they're not inclined to overpay too much for Tyus when they can try and sign him in the offseason.

San Antonio could use Tyus, but, like Orlando, they'll have the cap room to sign him in the summer, which limits how much they'd spend in a trade for him now.

Denver has no assets or matching contracts.

Miami is a possibility, but they might just prefer to ride with Lowry for one more year.

Maybe the Lakers?

Orlando here.. let's work an offer then.

Fultz + 24 1st round pick for Tyus? Does that get talks moving along?
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,910

Post#1937 » by TGW » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:09 pm

Can we get Isaac and a first?
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
tontoz
RealGM

Post#1938 » by tontoz » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:13 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

Sold
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1939 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:24 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
nate33 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:Jones has been on the **** rampage! He's so good right now! Do you keep him as a stable vet or do you move him for high value!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

We should absolutely move him. The problem is, how much are teams willing to pay for a guy who will be an unrestricted free agent this summer? The teams that would pay the most for him are over-the-cap teams who would value having his Bird Rights. But how many teams really need a PG like Tyus?

Minnesota would be perfect with Tyus ultimately replacing Conley as the PG of the future, but they have no assets.

Orlando could use a PG, but they're going to have cap room this summer so they're not inclined to overpay too much for Tyus when they can try and sign him in the offseason.

San Antonio could use Tyus, but, like Orlando, they'll have the cap room to sign him in the summer, which limits how much they'd spend in a trade for him now.

Denver has no assets or matching contracts.

Miami is a possibility, but they might just prefer to ride with Lowry for one more year.

Maybe the Lakers?

Yes. That's exactly the type of deal I'm looking for.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,119

Post#1940 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:24 pm

TGW wrote:Can we get Isaac and a first?

I think Orlando would rather eek out any minutes Isaac could play in Playoffs and then cut him in the offseason for no cap hit vs trade him.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:

Return to Washington Wizards