ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread Part XLV

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Re: Official Trade Thread Part XLV 

Post#581 » by pcbothwel » Sat May 27, 2023 12:37 pm

9 and 20 wrote:If we're taking back bad salary, what about Jordan Poole. He drives the tank for a few years, drops 25 or 30 a game, and then gets traded when he has a year left on his deal. Warriors add some draft picks, however many we can get out of them.

Beal could be sold on taking over for Steph Curry once he retires. Could see the warriors retooling around Beal and maybe Ayton? Who knows. Just blow this turd up already.

GSW is a perfect fit for Beal, but any trade would require Klay going out. If that doesn’t happen it simply isn’t feasible. Poole + Wiggins would hurt their depth and make them extremely expensive.

Beal is significantly better than Klay, but I’m not sure GSW see it that way. But who knows.
That said, I’m sticking to my belief that we don’t move Biel until the deadline. He’ll get the scoring record which will allow for a amicable split from the organization… It also allows more suitors to present themselves. I.e. Orlando, pacers, etc.
joshuacf
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#582 » by joshuacf » Sat May 27, 2023 12:57 pm

pcbothwel wrote:
9 and 20 wrote:If we're taking back bad salary, what about Jordan Poole. He drives the tank for a few years, drops 25 or 30 a game, and then gets traded when he has a year left on his deal. Warriors add some draft picks, however many we can get out of them.

Beal could be sold on taking over for Steph Curry once he retires. Could see the warriors retooling around Beal and maybe Ayton? Who knows. Just blow this turd up already.

GSW is a perfect fit for Beal, but any trade would require Klay going out. If that doesn’t happen it simply isn’t feasible. Poole + Wiggins would hurt their depth and make them extremely expensive.

Beal is significantly better than Klay, but I’m not sure GSW see it that way. But who knows.
That said, I’m sticking to my belief that we don’t move Biel until the deadline. He’ll get the scoring record which will allow for a amicable split from the organization… It also allows more suitors to present themselves. I.e. Orlando, pacers, etc.

In regards to Beal getting his scoring record, I agree that the record is important to Beal. Do you think it would be possible to convince Beal to move now if Ted offered him assurance that he'd be able to retire as a Wizard and break the record?

I'm sure Beal wants to spend his last couple prime years on a contender and not toiling away at the bottom of the East. If we tell him he's going to get the record no matter what, maybe he's willing to move now. I'm sure he'd rather break it now just to get it over with, but I'm sure he'd also rather be on a good team.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#583 » by payitforward » Sat May 27, 2023 1:46 pm

These are both pretty solid points

badinage wrote:I’d be sick if this team just tossed away Deni like that. ...a kid we drafted and invested in, who’s worked (and is working) hard, and who has room still to grow, and who is already a defensive stud and a terrific rebounder — would be a big-time mistake....

gambitx777 wrote:I highly oppose trading anyone on this team younger than 25 not named Todd. Every young guy we have has shown something.

Kispert is a rotation level player right now.

Deni is a rotation level defender, rebounder and passer. He is 22 younger than some of the picks in this draft are gonna be....

Even Johnny Davis improved massively from day one to the last game!

...Kispert, Deni, Goodwin, Davis should not be included in any deals as to add value to an out going trade package.

Now, obviously, anyone can be traded if the deal is good enough, but I agree that the key next steps are:

1. Make a really good set of draft picks -- bringing in at least 3 rookies.
2. Commit to trading Brad -- get the best deal we can, based around young players, picks, & (if necessary) expiring vets. By next deadline.
3. Do NOT re-sign Kyle Kuzma. Sign and trade or, if it's the only way, let him walk.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 250

Post#584 » by gesa2 » Sat May 27, 2023 2:17 pm

I don’t want to pay Kuzma 25 million a year for the next 4 years. But if Winger/ new GM under him sign him I’ll hope that they understand the market and think he can be moved at the deadline for value
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#585 » by nate33 » Sat May 27, 2023 2:48 pm

payitforward wrote:1. Make a really good set of draft picks -- bringing in at least 3 rookies.
2. Commit to trading Brad -- get the best deal we can, based around young players, picks, & (if necessary) expiring vets. By next deadline.
3. Do NOT re-sign Kyle Kuzma. Sign and trade or, if it's the only way, let him walk.

If we move Beal now, or at least think we have a pretty solid trade in mind by the Trade Deadline, then I will be much less worried about the implication of Kuzma's contract. You gotta pay somebody. If Beal is off the books, I'd be okay with Kuzma on an $18-20M a year deal as long as it was a descending contract.

If we signed him for, say, a 4-year deal paying him $23.5M, $21.5M, $19.5M, $17.5M, that might be kinda interesting. He has posted some pretty nice volume numbers in the absence of Beal (about 24 points and 8 boards and 4.5 assists per 36 on a .55 TS%). That could boost his trade value over the next year or two as we tank for picks. Then in Summer 2025, when he has 2 years left on his deal at just $18.5M per year, while averaging 25 points a game, we trade him for picks/prospects.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#586 » by gambitx777 » Sat May 27, 2023 4:54 pm

payitforward wrote:These are both pretty solid points

badinage wrote:I’d be sick if this team just tossed away Deni like that. ...a kid we drafted and invested in, who’s worked (and is working) hard, and who has room still to grow, and who is already a defensive stud and a terrific rebounder — would be a big-time mistake....

gambitx777 wrote:I highly oppose trading anyone on this team younger than 25 not named Todd. Every young guy we have has shown something.

Kispert is a rotation level player right now.

Deni is a rotation level defender, rebounder and passer. He is 22 younger than some of the picks in this draft are gonna be....

Even Johnny Davis improved massively from day one to the last game!

...Kispert, Deni, Goodwin, Davis should not be included in any deals as to add value to an out going trade package.

Now, obviously, anyone can be traded if the deal is good enough, but I agree that the key next steps are:

1. Make a really good set of draft picks -- bringing in at least 3 rookies.
Depending on how many body's we dispose of. Let's say 5 rookies lol.

I would like to see Beal traded before the draft.

Kuz should find a new home quickly once free agency starts and I hope we get a good sign and trade for him.

Then I'd like to see us trade Morris and wright for something.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
payitforward
RealGM

Post#587 » by payitforward » Sat May 27, 2023 6:07 pm

nate33 wrote:
payitforward wrote:1. Make a really good set of draft picks -- bringing in at least 3 rookies.

If we move Beal now, or at least think we have a pretty solid trade in mind by the Trade Deadline, then I will be much less worried about the implication of Kuzma's contract. You gotta pay somebody. If Beal is off the books, I'd be okay with Kuzma on an $18-20M a year deal as long as it was a descending contract.

If we signed him for, say, a 4-year deal paying him $23.5M, $21.5M, $19.5M, $17.5M, that might be kinda interesting. He has posted some pretty nice volume numbers in the absence of Beal (about 24 points and 8 boards and 4.5 assists per 36 on a .55 TS%). That could boost his trade value over the next year or two as we tank for picks. Then in Summer 2025, when he has 2 years left on his deal at just $18.5M per year, while averaging 25 points a game, we trade him for picks/prospects.

This is thoughtful, but... do we have to pay somebody? That is, do we have to pay somebody this coming year?

In a sense, I suppose so -- with Beal gone, & supposing we'd just let Kuz walk (rather than found a desirable sign and trade), we'd have to work to hit the minimum salary level.

We'd be at $89m for 11 guys. Plus any rookies.

In that case, I guess it would be a matter of who was available in free agency....? IMO, we ought to be able to do better than Kuz.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#588 » by dckingsfan » Sat May 27, 2023 9:24 pm

This is why I think a Beal for Irving would work. The only question in my mind would be could we have a 3-team trade and move Irving on or could we get Irving to sign a 1 year contract with a team option for the following year(s). LA Clippers have enough expiring contracts to help with this as well.

Mavs: Beal
Clippers: Irving
Wizards: Gordon, Covington, Batum

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271714/Mavs-Have-No-Plans-To-Assist-Kyrie-Irving-In-Changing-Teams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#589 » by payitforward » Sat May 27, 2023 10:00 pm

Why do we want either Kyrie Irving or the trio of Gordon, Covington & Batum? Don't we want to move Beal for youth & picks?

The guys who are going to make the next generation of the Wizards a good team aren't in the league yet.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#590 » by dckingsfan » Sat May 27, 2023 10:06 pm

payitforward wrote:Why do we want either Kyrie Irving or the trio of Gordon, Covington & Batum? Don't we want to move Beal for youth & picks?

The guys who are going to make the next generation of the Wizards a good team aren't in the league yet.

So, I think you would need to wait a few years to do that when he is closer to an expiring no?

But if you have a viable trade that lands us youth and picks - I am all ears (or eyes :))

It will be interesting to see what direction the new GM goes..
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#591 » by gambitx777 » Sun May 28, 2023 3:43 am

dckingsfan wrote:
payitforward wrote:Why do we want either Kyrie Irving or the trio of Gordon, Covington & Batum? Don't we want to move Beal for youth & picks?

So, I think you would need to wait a few years to do that when he is closer to an expiring no?

But if you have a viable trade that lands us youth and picks - I am all ears (or eyes :))

It will be interesting to see what direction the new GM goes..
It's a weak draft with a little t of question marks in the loto and Beal is definitely worth something and has value yes his contract is large but his play hasn't declinedmuch infact play wise he had one of his more efficient and better years. He has value to teams looking to make a year or two run before the new rules kick in.

Portland, Miami, new York, a couple others. They have the contracts and a combination of young players or picks to add in.

joshuacf
Sophomore

Post#592 » by joshuacf » Sun May 28, 2023 3:44 am

dckingsfan wrote:This is why I think a Beal for Irving would work. The only question in my mind would be could we have a 3-team trade and move Irving on or could we get Irving to sign a 1 year contract with a team option for the following year(s). LA Clippers have enough expiring contracts to help with this as well.

Mavs: Beal
Clippers: Irving
Wizards: Gordon, Covington, Batum

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271714/Mavs-Have-No-Plans-To-Assist-Kyrie-Irving-In-Changing-Teams

I think it's much easier said than done getting Kyrie to sign a contract with only one year of guaranteed money. Kyrie is 31. I think he wants long-term security in case of injury.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 944

Post#593 » by tleikheen » Sun May 28, 2023 11:55 pm

I think KP should be the guy to build around because he hasnt played with a good PG ever in DC yet was nearly a 50/40/90 player BUT if Wizards pursue a rebuild trade then look at Charlotte ....KP for the #2 pick and Gordon Hayward's 30 mill contract and use the #2 pick on Scoot Henderson.
KP joins LaMelo & Scoot Henderson gives the Wizards the PG theyve coveted for yrs.
joshuacf
Sophomore

Post#594 » by joshuacf » Mon May 29, 2023 1:15 am

tleikheen wrote:I think KP should be the guy to build around because he hasnt played with a good PG ever in DC yet was nearly a 50/40/90 player BUT if Wizards pursue a rebuild trade then look at Charlotte ....KP for the #2 pick and Gordon Hayward's 30 mill contract and use the #2 pick on Scoot Henderson.
KP joins LaMelo & Scoot Henderson gives the Wizards the PG theyve coveted for yrs.

The Hornets have the cap space to sign KP outright.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#595 » by gambitx777 » Mon May 29, 2023 4:20 am

tleikheen wrote:I think KP should be the guy to build around because he hasnt played with a good PG ever in DC yet was nearly a 50/40/90 player BUT if Wizards pursue a rebuild trade then look at Charlotte ....KP for the #2 pick and Gordon Hayward's 30 mill contract and use the #2 pick on Scoot Henderson.
So on no earth is scoot going before miller. Scoot might eve fall further than you think. Also the hornets won't trade #2 and I doubt they are gonna do anything wild with a sale on the horizon. Also yes they have cap room but they also have a lot of resigns to make. They also are not trading #2 that's gonna be Brandon miller. Unless mitch really is the stupidest GM of all time.

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Post#596 » by Kanyewest » Mon May 29, 2023 5:23 am

pcbothwel wrote:

Beal is better than Klay at this point but looking at it from GSW point of view, it may be hard for the Warriors to break up the band considering that he's helped them win 4 championships. I think the big thing is Klay just forces up a lot of ill advised shots and can't really finish in the paint right now. He had some good stretches to close out the season but not really sure if he's going to show up even 50% of the time in a postseason setting.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 250

Post#597 » by gesa2 » Mon May 29, 2023 2:25 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:

Beal is better than Klay at this point but looking at it from GSW point of view, it may be hard for the Warriors to break up the band considering that he's helped them win 4 championships. I think the big thing is Klay just forces up a lot of ill advised shots and can't really finish in the paint right now. He had some good stretches to close out the season but not really sure if he's going to show up even 50% of the time in a postseason setting.

Even after his injuries Klay is a much better defender than Beal. It’d be a very small back court for GS. If they want a big change I’m not convinced they’d see Brad as the best option
payitforward
RealGM

Post#598 » by payitforward » Mon May 29, 2023 2:34 pm

More important... why would we want Klay Thompson? The guy is 33 years old & has had multiple injuries.

This team needs to rebuild. From the ground up (even if there are a few guys we might like to keep).

Hence, what we need in return for Brad are picks & young players. & whatever expiring salaries we need to absorb in order to make a trade work. Period. Nothing else.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#599 » by gambitx777 » Mon May 29, 2023 2:50 pm

payitforward wrote:More important... why would we want Klay Thompson? The guy is 33 years old & has had multiple injuries.

This team needs to rebuild. From the ground up (even if there are a few guys we might like to keep).

Hence, what we need in return for Brad are picks & young players. & whatever expiring salaries we need to absorb in order to make a trade work. Period. Nothing else.
I assume the idea would be trade Beal for clay and try to get a couple picks or a young player with him since he's an expiring and very well below beals level at this point but I doubt they do that . I think the new rules really ham string them on trades I need some studying to really know them.

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#600 » by pcbothwel » Mon May 29, 2023 3:55 pm

payitforward wrote:More important... why would we want Klay Thompson? The guy is 33 years old & has had multiple injuries.

PIF. No one wants Klay. He would be sent to a third team for filler/asset. My point was that Klay is a shell of what he used to be, but still gets hyped up by the GSW crowd. I don’t see GSW sending out picks plus one of Moody/Kuminga to upgrade from Klay to Beal… but they should.

Every day that goes by makes me more assured that Beal will be here to start the year. Winger knows that Beal is biggest opportunity to rebuild and he’ll take his time getting the right offer. Winger is a big thinker/creative guy with trades/contracts. I could see him taking calls over months putting this together.
I think we’ll focus on the draft and how to deal with KP & Kuz before worrying about Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards