ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2023 Wizards OFFSEASON Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 955

Re: Official 2023 Wizards OFFSEASON Thread 

Post#441 » by tleikheen » Sun May 28, 2023 9:52 pm

My order of preference is : 1) Simons 2) Herro 3) Fultz 4) Sexton 5) Hayes ..... S&T Kuzma for any of these 1st 4 guys

I C alot of sport forums pushing Blazers Simons and #3 for an impact player ....... On Locked on Wizards they've said the Blazers weren't interested in Bradley Beal BUT would they be interested in KP ? KP for PG) Simons 22 mil, C) Jusuf Nurkic 15 mil #23 pick
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#442 » by Wizardspride » Mon May 29, 2023 8:30 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=BhmuYQv1F_olTOPPqptBRg&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Endless Loop
Sophomore
And1: 174

Post#443 » by Endless Loop » Mon May 29, 2023 9:39 pm

This offseason, the Wiz will surely be thinking not only towards next season, but also towards 2025. Things will look a lot different in two years. That's when the league negotiates a new TV rights package, which they currently are seeking to triple over now:

"The NBA's national television rights package expires after the 2024-25 season, and the league could be looking at a massive windfall in its new deal. Last March, CNBC's Jabari Young reported that the NBA would "seek a $75 billion rights package, up from its current $24 billion deal, which pays $2.6 billion per year."" (The current deal dates back to 2016. TV now makes up 25-30% of total NBA revenue.)

That's from https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2022/08/05/why-nba-teams-should-already-be-planning-for-the-2025-offseason/?sh=119f0bab27c4

In not too long, you may have players making salaries of $70-80 million a year. In two years, Beal for two years at $54 million will most likely be a relative bargain, assuming he's in good health. In fact, many if not most players with time left on their contracts will seem to be bargains! Seems to me that the Wiz today, with arguably only Beal's contract that's an overpay- and that by maybe, what, $10-15 million a year- are in good shape. That $10 million is only 6% of the luxury tax limit.

That's the way of the NBA. In a world where no contract exceeds 5 years, a team's outlook can change very quickly, assuming they're not dealing away half of their first round draft picks for the next several years like Minnesota did!

I think Winger was a super solid choice to deal with these strategic issues. It was the biggest step in the right direction I can remember Ted ever taking for the Wiz. Fixing the process!
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#444 » by payitforward » Tue May 30, 2023 12:26 am

Endless Loop wrote:This offseason, the Wiz will surely be thinking not only towards next season, but also towards 2025. Things will look a lot different in two years. That's when the league negotiates a new TV rights package, which they currently are seeking to triple over now:

"The NBA's national television rights package expires after the 2024-25 season, and the league could be looking at a massive windfall in its new deal. Last March, CNBC's Jabari Young reported that the NBA would "seek a $75 billion rights package, up from its current $24 billion deal, which pays $2.6 billion per year."" (The current deal dates back to 2016. TV now makes up 25-30% of total NBA revenue.)

That's from https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryantoporek/2022/08/05/why-nba-teams-should-already-be-planning-for-the-2025-offseason/?sh=119f0bab27c4

In not too long, you may have players making salaries of $70-80 million a year. In two years, Beal for two years at $54 million will most likely be a relative bargain, assuming he's in good health. In fact, many if not most players with time left on their contracts will seem to be bargains! Seems to me that the Wiz today, with arguably only Beal's contract that's an overpay- and that by maybe, what, $10-15 million a year- are in good shape. That $10 million is only 6% of the luxury tax limit.

That's the way of the NBA. In a world where no contract exceeds 5 years, a team's outlook can change very quickly, assuming they're not dealing away half of their first round draft picks for the next several years like Minnesota did!

I think Winger was a super solid choice to deal with these strategic issues. It was the biggest step in the right direction I can remember Ted ever taking for the Wiz. Fixing the process!

Main point -- I agree that hiring Winger looks like a great call. All the more if he brings in an equally good choice at GM.

Perhaps the Beal of 2-5 years ago would be a bargain at $54m in a couple of years. But, Brad does seem to have entered a period of decline -- slow, one hopes, but a downward slope all the same.

"Good health" will be important, of course. But, the effect of time is a different thing. & at 32, almost all players have seen their games decline from their prime years. We'll see, of course. But, it's not something that can be made irrelevant.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 898

Post#445 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed May 31, 2023 3:00 am

I only hope we trade Brad "Bad Deal" Beal. I'm so tired of watching this guy. When I watch Miami, and I see Butler play, I see a player that I would love to root for, a true franchise player. Is he more talented than Bad Deal? No. But he is everything that Bad Deal is not. Butler is all heart, Butler won't let his team down, Butler gives everythintie's got. He is what we as fans want. And that is all we ask for. Play the game like you care.

Bad Deal was completely worthless this season, and that's saying alot when he's making 50 mil. He is the supposed leader, his team stunk, and he goes up there and says my name isnt Tommy Sheppard or Ted Leonsis. Are you kidding me??! He throws those 2 under the bus, the 2 men that put their faith in HIM, said You're our guy, and paid him a literal fortune to lead this team and that's what he does?? So Tommy gets fired. Bad Deal was non existent this year, missed a ton of games, and when he plays he plays with no heart, thinks being the leader is taking the ball and dribbling the entire clock down to get off a midrange step back if he doesnt turn it over first. He literally plays NO DEFENSE. He doesnt even attempt to play it. Watch him. 90% of the time he comes down court, finds an open space where no one is and stands there. He doesnt guard anyone, doesnt defend a passing lane, doesnt contest anyone, he just stands there. And thats when he actually makes it up court and isnt too busy crying to the ref. I'm so tired of his pouting face, his disengagement from his teammates, his chumming up with the other team. This guy is the complete opposite of Jimmy Butler, in other words he is a loser. Hes definitely no franchise player. And I'm tired of everyone kissing his a$$!!
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#446 » by TGW » Wed May 31, 2023 3:12 am

Endless Loop wrote:This offseason, the Wiz will surely be thinking not only towards next season, but also towards 2025. Things will look a lot different in two years. That's when the league negotiates a new TV rights package, which they currently are seeking to triple over now:

With this line of thinking, I wonder if they believe Kuzma at 100MM is actually market value and a fair-ish deal? I hope not, although that might be what they're thinking.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#447 » by Tyrone Messby » Wed May 31, 2023 3:50 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I only hope we trade Brad "Bad Deal" Beal. I'm so tired of watching this guy. When I watch Miami, and I see Butler play, I see a player that I would love to root for, a true franchise player. Is he more talented than Bad Deal? No. But he is everything that Bad Deal is not. Butler is all heart, Butler won't let his team down, Butler gives everythintie's got. He is what we as fans want. And that is all we ask for. Play the game like you care.

Bad Deal was completely worthless this season, and that's saying alot when he's making 50 mil. He is the supposed leader, his team stunk, and he goes up there and says my name isnt Tommy Sheppard or Ted Leonsis. Are you kidding me??! He throws those 2 under the bus, the 2 men that put their faith in HIM, said You're our guy, and paid him a literal fortune to lead this team and that's what he does?? So Tommy gets fired. Bad Deal was non existent this year, missed a ton of games, and when he plays he plays with no heart, thinks being the leader is taking the ball and dribbling the entire clock down to get off a midrange step back if he doesnt turn it over first. He literally plays NO DEFENSE. He doesnt even attempt to play it. Watch him. 90% of the time he comes down court, finds an open space where no one is and stands there. He doesnt guard anyone, doesnt defend a passing lane, doesnt contest anyone, he just stands there. And thats when he actually makes it up court and isnt too busy crying to the ref. I'm so tired of his pouting face, his disengagement from his teammates, his chumming up with the other team. This guy is the complete opposite of Jimmy Butler, in other words he is a loser. Hes definitely no franchise player. And I'm tired of everyone kissing his a$$!!

All of this. +1
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#448 » by Dat2U » Wed May 31, 2023 12:11 pm

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:I only hope we trade Brad "Bad Deal" Beal. I'm so tired of watching this guy. When I watch Miami, and I see Butler play, I see a player that I would love to root for, a true franchise player. Is he more talented than Bad Deal? No. But he is everything that Bad Deal is not. Butler is all heart, Butler won't let his team down, Butler gives everythintie's got. He is what we as fans want. And that is all we ask for. Play the game like you care.

Yeah, it sucks that Brad is not Jimmy Butler. Luckily so many NBA players are built just like Jimmy so I'm sure it will be real easy to scoop up another Jimmy B in the draft or with the MLE. Then we dump Beal for expirings and still have a better roster than the Heat do now. :wink:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#449 » by nate33 » Wed May 31, 2023 12:35 pm

tleikheen wrote:
My order of preference is : 1) Simons 2) Herro 3) Fultz 4) Sexton 5) Hayes ..... S&T Kuzma for any of these 1st 4 guys

I C alot of sport forums pushing Blazers Simons and #3 for an impact player ....... On Locked on Wizards they've said the Blazers weren't interested in Bradley Beal BUT would they be interested in KP ? KP for PG) Simons 22 mil, C) Jusuf Nurkic 15 mil #23 pick

I'm only trading KP if we also have a deal in place to move Beal.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#450 » by Dat2U » Wed May 31, 2023 12:46 pm

tleikheen wrote:

Of course Portland would love to upgrade the C position with a late 1st and a young guy they deem as expendable. Simons & Beal play the same position so unless Beal is getting moved too I don't see the fit at all.

I'm not against moving KP but he's young enough and his skill is valuable enough that I'm ok with him being here for at least the beginning of the rebuild.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#451 » by TGW » Wed May 31, 2023 1:00 pm

The problem with KP is that we've only seen his upside here in Washington. We haven't really seen the downside, and that's how he was obtained for so cheap. If we expect a regression towards the mean, we will have more Porzingis DNP-CDs in the near future.

Not sure where Winger wants to go with the team, but I'm shipping KP off for positive value. Simons, Nurkic, and a first would be a fantastic package.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#452 » by gambitx777 » Wed May 31, 2023 2:08 pm

Well on the ko issue I'm gonna spend time and have a serious talk with the medical staff. What's the likely good of him regressing. How are the deep issues with his body what are you guys noticing. If he seems ok I'm open to keeping him, kuz you don't find good quality vets with his kind of production often who if healthy are always tradable. Idk if he comes in at or under his current contract I'm open to a new deal. But if we trade Beal and Kuzma And a team like Portland or a team like the hornets, or Brooklyn make me a strong offer. It would be hard to not take them up on it.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
joshuacf
Sophomore
And1: 109

Post#453 » by joshuacf » Wed May 31, 2023 3:01 pm

My issue with keeping Kuz or KP is this: It keeps us in the middling grind we've been in the past 5 years where we are neither seriously competing nor are we going full on rebuild.

KP and Kuz are both 27. This team is at least 4 years away from being competitive. By the time we are ready to compete, they will both be 31 or older. They don't fit with our timeline at all.

In the meantime, they are going to win us more games than if we didn't have them, which is going to hurt our lottery odds and decrease the chance we can get a star player in the draft. They are also going to take playing time away from our young guys, which is going to hurt the younger guys development.

I just don't see any reason to keep KP or Kuzma. The only type of veteran player I would be willing to spend money on would be a good playmaking PG who can make players around him better, which will help the young guys development. Otherwise, what's the point? Let's blow it up.
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#454 » by Dat2U » Wed May 31, 2023 3:11 pm

joshuacf wrote:My issue with keeping Kuz or KP is this: It keeps us in the middling grind we've been in the past 5 years where we are neither seriously competing nor are we going full on rebuild.

KP and Kuz are both 27. This team is at least 4 years away from being competitive. By the time we are ready to compete, they will both be 31 or older. They don't fit with our timeline at all.

In the meantime, they are going to win us more games than if we didn't have them, which is going to hurt our lottery odds and decrease the chance we can get a star player in the draft. They are also going to take playing time away from our young guys, which is going to hurt the younger guys development.

I just don't see any reason to keep KP or Kuzma. The only type of veteran player I would be willing to spend money on would be a good playmaking PG who can make players around him better, which will help the young guys development. Otherwise, what's the point? Let's blow it up.

An entire roster of young guys is a disaster waiting to happen. Keeping a floor spacing big as a legit scoring option to make life easier & provide spacing for your young guys makes a ton of sense. The influence of guys like Anthony Gill or some backup PG is often muted because their influence is only in the locker room and not on the floor because their on-court roles are so limited. I wouldn't want a scenario like Houston where its a bunch of young guys will no real direction just taking turns shot jacking and establishing bad habits that become impossible to break.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,309

Post#455 » by NatP4 » Wed May 31, 2023 3:29 pm

Houston also drafted like idiots. Kevin Porter was a walking red flag, why try and build around him?

Jabari Smith over Keegan Murray? Jalen Green over Suggs&Mobley?

Is it having too many young players? Or being a dumb organization?
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#456 » by gambitx777 » Wed May 31, 2023 3:46 pm

NatP4 wrote:Houston also drafted like idiots. Kevin Porter was a walking red flag, why try and build around him?

I think it's both.
They drafted bad and made some questionable trades and deal given out.

But they should have some vets on the team and like John wall said they wouldn't listen to him because they knew he wasn't gonna be around long or play.

A young team needs a professional anchor. KP would be that guy. I don't see Kuzma as that guy I think he gets his deal and probably wants to be traded as soon as the bag is secured. The only reason he didn't ask for a trade is the agent knew that his chance to get as much money as he could was with Tommy and Ted, cuz they have a track record of doing so. KP genuinely seems to like it here, has been a model citizen and a great locker room leader and professional. That's why unless we get offered over market value I keep KP.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#457 » by Dat2U » Wed May 31, 2023 3:50 pm

NatP4 wrote:Houston also drafted like idiots. Kevin Porter was a walking red flag, why try and build around him?

Porter Jr as the PG was questionable. A veteran PG would have worked wonders and made like alot easier. A real offense and actually running plays for Jalen Green would have been even better. Same with Jabari. He's not a bad prospect but why aren't you putting him in the best position to suceed?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#458 » by pcbothwel » Wed May 31, 2023 3:54 pm

Dat2U wrote:
joshuacf wrote:My issue with keeping Kuz or KP is this: It keeps us in the middling grind we've been in the past 5 years where we are neither seriously competing nor are we going full on rebuild.

An entire roster of young guys is a disaster waiting to happen. Keeping a floor spacing big as a legit scoring option to make life easier & provide spacing for your young guys makes a ton of sense. The influence of guys like Anthony Gill or some backup PG is often muted because their influence is only in the locker room and not on the floor because their on-court roles are so limited. I wouldn't want a scenario like Houston where its a bunch of young guys will no real direction just taking turns shot jacking and establishing bad habits that become impossible to break.

Agreed. SnT Kuz for whatever, resign KP, and let Winger get settled.

I cant help but feel as though Winger is real long-term thinker. Which to me means he WILL NOT trade Beal this offseason. Why?

1) As previously mentioned, the Kuz and KP situations need be addressed NOW and we have a top 10 pick in the draft. Focus needs to be on getting a GM and taking care of those.
2) I know Im a broken record on this, but a guy like Beal needs to be traded at the deadline. The teams most interested in Beal need salaries to match and quite frankly dont have them. We will need them to resign some guys with Bird rights, MLE, draft picks, etc. to make the trade as easy as possible and extract the most value.
3) If Winger is really the long term/big picture guy he is touted to be. I think he tries to get an unprotected pick in the future. After the draft, teams will be able to move their 2030 1st round picks. This allows teams that want to trade a 2028/2029 1st to add at least some protection to their pick (I.e. 2028 1st with top 10 protection, top 5, then unprotected).

A great example of points 2 & 3 are the Lakers. Point 2) They cant trade for Beal as they dont have the contracts, but if they resign Dlo for ~25M, then they could trade Dlo, Beasley, Christie, and Whoever they pick at 17 (Livley?) for Beal & Morris.
Point 3) LAL needs to add value here, but an unprotected 2029 pick is VERY risky, but by the deadline they can trade the 2029 pick with some protection.
joshuacf
Sophomore

Post#459 » by joshuacf » Wed May 31, 2023 4:02 pm

Dat2U wrote:

Doesn't have to be all young guys. You can have guys on the roster like Gill who are veteran leaders on cheap contracts.

But signing Kuzma or KP doesn't make sense at all, IMO. What young rebuilding signs a borderline AS who isn't a young guy? Spurs, Pistons, OKC, Magic. It isn't just the Rockets.
joshuacf
Sophomore

Post#460 » by joshuacf » Wed May 31, 2023 4:15 pm

These other teams know what we don't: Superstar players are what wins championships. In order for a team like us to get a superstar player, you need to hit on a draft pick. You are much more likely to hit on a draft pick if you have a top 3 pick than if you have the 8th or 9th pick.

KP gets us farther away from a top 3 pick. We need to be losing games.

Return to Washington Wizards