ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2023 Wizards OFFSEASON Thread

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,466

Re: Official 2023 Wizards OFFSEASON Thread 

Post#61 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:48 am

queridiculo wrote:These clowns are talking about bringing back Kuzma and extending Porzingis.

There's no hope for this franchise.

At this point I wouldn't even mind if it seized to exist, and Seattle got their Supersonics back in its stead.

I love it. Give them to Seattle, let them play at the Key Arena and keep calling them the Washington Wizards.

Let Bezos buy a franchise, call them the DC Bullets. And let’s rock!
In Rizzo we trust
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 923

Post#62 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:49 am

queridiculo wrote:These clowns are talking about bringing back Kuzma and extending Porzingis.

At this point I wouldn't even mind if it seized to exist, and Seattle got their Supersonics back in its stead.

I really don't have a problem with those 2 coming back..IMO the problem is Beal. They need to move him. I don't know what they can get at this point. If you can get a PG, like Murray, great! If not, I don't know. If you can only do something similar to the Westbrook trade that brought back smaller more manageable contract, maybe get a player or 2 that can actually help, any kind of draft picks, any kind of moveable assets or cap relief. I really don't care. If we have to eat it and go with a rookie PG and Delon rotation at PG and roll with Kispert and Davis at SG, I don't care. I've had enough of Beal.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
Jay81
Starter
And1: 487

Post#63 » by Jay81 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:51 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:

I really don't have a problem with those 2 coming back..IMO the problem is Beal. They need to move him. I don't know what they can get at this point. If you can get a PG, like Murray, great! If not, I don't know. If you can only do something similar to the Westbrook trade that brought back smaller more manageable contract, maybe get a player or 2 that can actually help, any kind of draft picks, any kind of moveable assets or cap relief. I really don't care. If we have to eat it and go with a rookie PG and Delon rotation at PG and roll with Kispert and Davis at SG, I don't care. I've had enough of Beal.
Beal was one of few players in league who scored 20 on plus 50% shooting. He is still a very good player. He still has value but that window is closing

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,587

Post#64 » by pcbothwel » Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:32 pm

I still think the best way to keep rebuilding while selling us as competing for the playoffs is to keep Brad and KP.
SnT Kuz, trade Delon, and maybe even Gafford.
I love Delon, but Davis and Goodwin can fill that role.
If you can add a late 1st this year and future protected 1st it’ll go a long way towards the continued rebuild.

Our top 8 pick is the wildcard. But adding Cissoko and Edey with the late 1st and our 2nd would really do well to filling out our youth/depth.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,579

Post#65 » by nate33 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:13 pm

pcbothwel wrote:I still think the best way to keep rebuilding while selling us as competing for the playoffs is to keep Brad and KP.
If you can add a late 1st this year and future protected 1st it’ll go a long way towards the continued rebuild.

Our top 8 pick is the wildcard. But adding Cissoko and Edey with the late 1st and our 2nd would really do well to filling out our youth/depth.

We won 35 games this year. We won 35 the year before. 39 (82 game adjusted) before that. 29 (adjusted) before that. What on Earth makes you believe that sticking with the status quo plus a few minor tweaks is a solution?

Beal has got to go. And it has to be done before his contract grows and his play declines to the point that he is untradeable. It is absolutely the first step in any type of rational plan for the future.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,990

Post#66 » by FAH1223 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:19 pm

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:I still think the best way to keep rebuilding while selling us as competing for the playoffs is to keep Brad and KP.

We won 35 games this year. We won 35 the year before. 39 (82 game adjusted) before that. 29 (adjusted) before that. What on Earth makes you believe that sticking with the status quo plus a few minor tweaks is a solution?

Beal has got to go. And it has to be done before his contract grows and his play declines to the point that he is untradeable. It is absolutely the first step in any type of rational plan for the future.

But you heard Brad himself yesterday. He doesn’t want to leave, he has the NTC, and he even jokingly accused the media of trying to get him out of town (cause the fan base knows there’s no path to contention with him and the reporters are coming with that feedback).

So what is the ideal offseason under Ted’s middle built orders?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,949

Post#67 » by payitforward » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:13 pm

pcbothwel wrote:...to keep rebuilding ...the continued rebuild....

What do you mean by "keep rebuilding?" We haven't started rebuilding. Not one bit!

&, to have a "continued rebuild," we would need to start a rebuild. We haven't done that.

To rebuild requires you to recognize that the previous generation team has passed its sell-buy date. Rebuilding is not accomplished by adding peripheral pieces to a core that isn't going to change.

There is no such thing as a "mid rebuild." When you rebuild, you get rid of your old core & start over.

As Zards has pointed out, there is no guarantee that rebuilding will succeed -- that you'll create a contender or even just a "good" team. He's correct, of course.

OTOH, if you've got a bad team, & you don't rebuild, it's 100% guaranteed that you'll stay bad.

YMMV, but I would rather have the Rockets roster than ours. I'd rather by a whole lot! The Rockets are extremely likely to be a good team a lot sooner than the Wizards. Not guaranteed of course -- but I'd rather fail while trying than continue the idiotic, seemingly endless stumble stumble stumble of the Washington Wizards.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,418

Post#68 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:26 pm

What is Beal even talking about in his exit interview? His ego has just gotten ridiculously overinflated. He was nothing more than a slightly above average starter this year. Was nothing close to a leader, visually throwing a fit on the court most games. He’s up there in his exit interview throwing shade at the FO?? More cryptic comments and passive aggression. This guy has turned into such a clown.

Step 1 for this team to go anywhere, is getting rid of Beal and Kuzma.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,245

Post#69 » by AFM » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:27 pm

The Wizards are trying to do the old Mavericks “retooling” strategy where they swap out different role players around Dirk and hope everything falls in place for a single season.
The problem is, Brad is no Dirk Nowitzki…
NatP4
RealGM

Post#70 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:31 pm

What is the point of acting like this?

Read on Twitter

Trade this clown and be done with it
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#71 » by nate33 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:42 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

But you heard Brad himself yesterday. He doesn’t want to leave, he has the NTC, and he even jokingly accused the media of trying to get him out of town (cause the fan base knows there’s no path to contention with him and the reporters are coming with that feedback).

So what is the ideal offseason under Ted’s middle built orders?

I'm sure Beal would gladly accept a trade to Boston or Miami.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#72 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:50 pm

LOL the team cut out all of that nonsense from the Beal exit interview:

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#73 » by nate33 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:01 pm

FAH1223 wrote:So what is the ideal offseason under Ted’s middle built orders?

Trading away all of our talent for picks in the distant future so the team is so unbearably horrible in the interim, that Beal finally demands a trade. And if he doesn't, we will just tank with him because Beal alone doesn't keep us above 28 wins.

So something like:

Trade: Kuzma, Wright, Gafford to Dallas for Bertans, Hardaway Jr., #10 pick, 2027 1st

Trade: Porzingis to Toronto for Boucher, Poeltl (S&T) and their 2026 pick. Flip Poeltl to Portland for Nurkic and a Portland pick.
I'm just spitballing here. It's tough to find a good home for Porzingis because most contending teams are already set at center or can't afford to pay big money for his contract. Toronto could use Porzingis the most but it's hard to figure out the appropriate return.

Send Morris someplace too. And maybe even Kispert if he brings back a good first round pick.

Roll with Goodwin, Deni, Hardaway Jr., Bertans, Boucher, and Davis as teammates for Beal.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#74 » by NatP4 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:05 pm

dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,150

Post#75 » by dckingsfan » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:34 pm

So, this is what we have for next year (as of right now). Could Tommy roll it back unchanged (paying Kuzma and extending Porzingis of course)? Healthy, this is a solid play-in contender, no?

Code: Select all

Player          2023-24
Beal         $46,741,590
Porziņģis    $36,016,200
Kuzma        $13,000,000
Gafford      $12,402,000
Morris       $9,800,926
Wright       $8,195,122
Avdija       $6,263,188
Davis        $5,050,800
Kispert      $3,722,040
Gill         $1,997,238
Goodwin      $1,927,896
Todd         $1,836,096
Cooks        $1,719,864
Huff         ??
Pick         ??

Porzingis and Kuzma have player options.

Morris/Wright/Goodwin
Beal/Kispert/Davis
Kuzma/Avdija
Porzingis/Gill/Cooks/Todd
Gafford/Huff
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,990

Post#76 » by FAH1223 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:38 pm

nate33 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:So what is the ideal offseason under Ted’s middle built orders?

Trading away all of our talent for picks in the distant future so the team is so unbearably horrible in the interim, that Beal finally demands a trade. And if he doesn't, we will just tank with him because Beal alone doesn't keep us above 28 wins.

So something like:

Trade: Kuzma, Wright, Gafford to Dallas for Bertans, Hardaway Jr., #10 pick, 2027 1st

Trade: Porzingis to Toronto for Boucher, Poeltl (S&T) and their 2026 pick. Flip Poeltl to Portland for Nurkic and a Portland pick.
I'm just spitballing here. It's tough to find a good home for Porzingis because most contending teams are already set at center or can't afford to pay big money for his contract. Toronto could use Porzingis the most but it's hard to figure out the appropriate return.

Send Morris someplace too. And maybe even Kispert if he brings back a good first round pick.

Roll with Goodwin, Deni, Hardaway Jr., Bertans, Boucher, and Davis as teammates for Beal.

Now different thought exercise. What will Tommy do? :lol:
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,960

Post#77 » by Frichuela » Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:53 pm

The way I see it, our only hope for the future rests on two (unlikely) outcomes:

1) Beal asks for a trade. I can't only see this in the remote case Boston implodes and losses in the first round and Brown voices his displeasure. Then Beal expresses his desire to join his pal Tatum in Boston and we get a 1-year rental of Brown (+fodder like Gallo) in
a trade for Beal.
2) We get lucky in the lottery and jump to the top-3 (ideally top-2).

As I said both scenarios are highly unlikely with the base scenario being i) picking 7th-10th in the draft and ii) keeping the mediocre 3 together. A perennial 35-win team... :banghead:
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,587

Post#78 » by pcbothwel » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:23 pm

We cant afford Beal, KP, and Kuz... and Tommy knows it. He'll SnT trade Kuz, or sign him knowing he'll have to move him at the deadline.
And trading Beal in the offseason is almost a non-starter. His salary is so high, that we need teams to have a full roster of filler salary to make it work. So that means a deadline deal most likely.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 467

Post#79 » by bsilver » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:36 pm

dckingsfan wrote:So, this is what we have for next year (as of right now). Could Tommy roll it back unchanged (paying Kuzma and extending Porzingis of course)? Healthy, this is a solid play-in contender, no?

Code: Select all

Player          2023-24
Beal         $46,741,590
Porziņģis    $36,016,200
Kuzma        $13,000,000
Gafford      $12,402,000
Morris       $9,800,926
Wright       $8,195,122
Avdija       $6,263,188
Davis        $5,050,800
Kispert      $3,722,040
Gill         $1,997,238
Goodwin      $1,927,896
Todd         $1,836,096
Cooks        $1,719,864
Huff         ??
Pick         ??

Porzingis and Kuzma have player options.

Morris/Wright/Goodwin
Beal/Kispert/Davis
Kuzma/Avdija
Porzingis/Gill/Cooks/Todd
Gafford/Huff

Hard to say. We were lucky with Porzingus’s health last year, and he was our best player. Health could be an issue.
Beal and Kuzma not getting any better.
Indiana will pass us.
Orlando is young and improving.
If Charlotte gets Bridges back, and Ball is healthy, they’ll be lots better.
We could be at the bottom with Detroit.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#80 » by nate33 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:27 pm

pcbothwel wrote:We cant afford Beal, KP, and Kuz... and Tommy knows it. He'll SnT trade Kuz, or sign him knowing he'll have to move him at the deadline.
And trading Beal in the offseason is almost a non-starter. His salary is so high, that we need teams to have a full roster of filler salary to make it work. So that means a deadline deal most likely.

If Tommy knew that, he would have traded Kuzma at the Trade Deadline when his value was highest. But instead, they chose to trade Rui.

Return to Washington Wizards