Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dolevi
Senior
And1: 402

Re: Deni Avdija - Part II 

Post#41 » by Dolevi » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:13 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
DCZards wrote:This is where I hope you’re wrong. I’ve argued against Deni being the starting PG or the primary ballhandler, but given that Deni has shown what he’s capable of doing when he does get the opportunity to handle the ball, next season I think it’s incumbent on Wes to ensure that he gets more opportunities to be a ballhandler and playmaker—even when he’s on the court with KP, Kuz and Beal.

It would be a mistake to not take advantage of Deni’s improving ability to take defenders off the dribble or find open teammates for easy hoops.

100%, Wes or (much better) if they get a replacement HC.

Isn't this on Tommy/Ted first?

Assuming Wes stays, if they bring back Kuz, do we really think Wes will have Deni start? I would say no, unless we see a material change in Deni's game, right?

Or to say it another way, if you have Beal/Kuz/Porzingis starting - what do you need next to those guys? I would argue 3-point shooting to space the court.

But you assuming the team will look alike the same next season. If the Wizards aren't a failure organziation (and so far they haven't proven me wrong) - they gonna next season continue with the 3'some of Beal-Kuz-KP. In order for Deni to take a larger leap and unleash the 'Denitail' - he gotta take the 'kuz' role in the good meaning of it, I don't mean he will start to take a lot of jumpers and weird shots like Kuz likes. It's just that he will be a true secondary ball handler and will touch the ball less or more as he touches now. So he will make 'winning' plays for the team. Beal / Kuz one of them gotta move if Washinghton want Deni to improve (and so do the potential of the team).
My hopes are they will do it. And i'm truly objective and want the Wizards to be successful. And yes, I do believe that making a change in this trio will help us win more. We saw how far they can take us this season.

What you do need - is to keep KP with Deni as a BH. and put around them a lot of shooters. If you can get rid of Beal's awful contract (and you can't lol) and bring another good BH next to Deni, the better. So put around them a lot of Kisperts, and it's a dub.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,015

Post#42 » by dckingsfan » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:32 pm

Wizraeli wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:We clearly don't agree on this. Given that - let's just agree to disagree and move on...

We actually agree on a lot of things, we both want Deni to get Kuzma's spot, or at least be more involved, what we don't agree on is how it's going to happen, you think it should be, or going to be with Deni plowing his way through and pushing other players aside by having good performances while the big 3 are playing, what I think it should be, and probably isn't going to happen is the team will have an actual organized system of throwing its young players into the water, not only with minutes, but with actually having the ball in their hands and young prospects will have roles based on what they are expected to do in the future, not what they are doing right now.

My way isn't that uncommon, usually that's the way teams treat their top 10 picks, especially if the picks are already in their 3rd year, and especially if the team is rebuilding.

Deni has shown in the last 3 years that he's not going to push anyone out or step on anyone's toes, it's just not his personality, he's a nice guy that wants to play team ball, thinking he'll change his personality in his 4th year is optimistic, but I doubt it's going to happen, the last 3 years made me pessimistic about that, if Kuzma will stay I highly doubt next season will be any different for Deni, if he won't stay it's a different story, it will also be a statement from the team that they'll put the ball more on Deni's hands which is exactly what I think should happen.

Okay, we are down to what we want. Fair enough - we both want Deni to be featured.

My argument is that Wes was never going to do that this year until Beal/Kuz got injured. My argument is that unless Kuz isn't resigned or traded, that won't happen next year - UNLESS, Deni takes a major step or two where the argument to feature Deni becomes irrefutable.

I am still hoping he becomes a budding all-star. Sadly, this is going to be entirely on him.
Runner300
Freshman
And1: 47

Post#43 » by Runner300 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:26 pm

Showcase Deni this season as much as possible.
Trade him the next one.
With all the new contracts and extensions the Wizards simply can't afford him after the rookie contract.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#44 » by dckingsfan » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:23 pm

Runner300 wrote:Showcase Deni this season as much as possible. Trade him the next one.
With all the new contracts and extensions the Wizards simply can't afford him after the rookie contract.

Of course they can, they would just have to trade other players.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#45 » by Kanyewest » Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:33 pm

Google says Ted Leonsis is worth more than Lacob. He's going to catch up a few light years to keep this team together...
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#46 » by Kanyewest » Sat Apr 8, 2023 9:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,162

Post#47 » by AFM » Sat Apr 8, 2023 10:01 pm

trade them both immediately
GoneShammGone
Junior
And1: 168

Post#48 » by GoneShammGone » Sun Apr 9, 2023 2:14 am

That's bobble-head material right there.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#49 » by FAH1223 » Thu Jun 1, 2023 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#50 » by dobrojim » Thu Jun 1, 2023 5:56 pm

A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#51 » by prime1time » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:57 pm

Without a major breakout from Avdija, it's tough to imagine that he'll be here next year. And with our first-round draft pick likely being in the same position he is, it'll be fascinating to see how much of a leash Avdija gets this year.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,318

Post#52 » by NatP4 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:41 pm

Whatever that means
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#53 » by dckingsfan » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:18 pm

prime1time wrote:Without a major breakout from Avdija, it's tough to imagine that he'll be here next year. And with our first-round draft pick likely being in the same position he is, it'll be fascinating to see how much of a leash Avdija gets this year.

I agree with your first point, he is going to have to make a material jump this coming year if he is going to get that contract he wants to stick around.

I don't agree with the minutes he is going to get to play unless the Wizards have a miracle and get some really good players that take from his minutes. I think he gets the ~ 2000 minutes again this year.

I have my toes and fingers crossed for that jump...
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#54 » by tleikheen » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:43 pm

We've all seen that trading Rui was to give Deni the minutes to expand his game . WUJ and Tommy Shepard made the choice of Deni over Rui so they'll always be linked together by their decision.
Rui is on the verge of getting offers of 4 yrs/80 million to play for the Lakers or other teams that want 3 level scoring and defensive versatility.
Deni's opportunity will dry up if he doesnt make imptovement quickly if Wizards get a Ausar Thompson in the draft.......and the Rui trade by WUJ and Shepard ,a serious error in talent evaluation.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 837

Post#55 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 10:20 pm

I could see Deni getting shipped out this offseason, with a new front office not really invested in him. Either on his own for a first rounder or attached to some bigger deal. I remember some stories during the season about being one of Beal's buddies, so maybe that's something.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#56 » by payitforward » Fri Jun 2, 2023 10:25 pm

tleikheen wrote:We've all seen that trading Rui was to give Deni the minutes to expand his game . WUJ and Tommy Shepard made the choice of Deni over Rui so they'll always be linked together by their decision.
Rui is on the verge of getting offers of 4 yrs/80 million to play for the Lakers or other teams that want 3 level scoring and defensive versatility.
Deni's opportunity will dry up if he doesnt make imptovement quickly if Wizards get a Ausar Thompson in the draft.......and the Rui trade by WUJ and Shepard ,a serious error in talent evaluation.

I'm plenty impatient w/ Deni, but the above is the usual blow-hard nonsense.

In every one of his 3 seasons with the Wizards, Deni Avdija has been better than Rui Hachimura. Hugely better? No. But better all the same:

In 2020-21, as a rookie, Deni was better than Rui that same year (i.e. Rui's second).
In 2021-2, his second year, Deni was better than Rui that same year (his third).
In 2022-23, his third year, Deni was better than Rui that same year (his fourth).

Neither of them was good. But Deni was better than Rui. Just look at the numbers.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#57 » by prime1time » Sat Jun 3, 2023 11:49 am

dckingsfan wrote:
prime1time wrote:Without a major breakout from Avdija, it's tough to imagine that he'll be here next year. And with our first-round draft pick likely being in the same position he is, it'll be fascinating to see how much of a leash Avdija gets this year.

I agree with your first point, he is going to have to make a material jump this coming year if he is going to get that contract he wants to stick around.

I don't agree with the minutes he is going to get to play unless the Wizards have a miracle and get some really good players that take from his minutes. I think he gets the ~ 2000 minutes again this year.

I have my toes and fingers crossed for that jump...

Just doing the math, the team has three positions clearly locked. Assuming there is no major turning of the ship.

Beal - Kuzma - Porzingis

After those three, we have Davis, Kispert and our first-round draft pick. Where does Deni Avdija fit into that? Davis showed major improvement going into the end of the year. Kispert showed major improvement from 1st year to 2nd year. FG% increased, 3p% increased and points increased by significant amounts. And when you look closer at the numbers Kispert over the last 22 games Kispert shot 53% from the field, 45% from 3 (on 6.9 3's a game) and 15 ppg. Now the x-factor is what position will the Wizards end up drafting. But regardless, things don't bode well for Avdija.

His 3-point shooting decreased in from year 2 to year 3. His PER dropped from year 2 to year 3. His VORP dropped from year 2 to year 3. And, perhaps the worst of all, if you could isolate his performance to focus solely on how he performed when Beal, Kuzma and Porzingis were healthy, his numbers really fall off the cliff. To put it another way, Avdija was at his best when the Wizards core players were not playing and the offense could run through him. Given these are the facts (and they are not up for dispute) where does this leave us? Davis and Kispert fit better with our core 3 players.

If someone can make an argument for Avdija being part of the long-term vision for this team I'd love to hear it. The only realistic scenario I can think of is if we just decided to tear it down and rebuild. Then Avdija could lead the tank.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#58 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 3, 2023 2:40 pm

prime1time wrote:... the team has three positions clearly locked. Assuming there is no major turning of the ship.

Beal - Kuzma - Porzingis...

Well, just for starters, this is a recipe for certain failure.

1. Beal cannot be part of the long-term future of this team. For all the reasons that have been detailed too often to repeat.
2. Kyle Kuzma is not a good NBA player. Period.
3. Porzingis -- while an enormous talent, & even though he wasn't injured last year -- has a long history of missing parts of seasons or all of seasons. You can't talk about him without acknowledging his history -- tho yes it would be great if it stayed in the past!

prime1time wrote:... Davis showed major improvement going into the end of the year....

Not if you mean that he actually played well. From the first game where he logged 20 minutes through to the end of the season, Johnny went 50-132. Including 16-61 on 3-pointers.

prime1time wrote:... Kispert showed major improvement from 1st year to 2nd year. FG% increased, 3p% increased and points increased by significant amounts. And when you look closer at the numbers Kispert over the last 22 games Kispert shot 53% from the field, 45% from 3 (on 6.9 3's a game) and 15 ppg....

Absolutely! That kid is a keeper.

prime1time wrote:...things don't bode well for Avdija.....

Agreed. But not because he got worse his third year. Just because he didn't get better.

But that suffices. This is his last chance. Guys who haven't made big strides in 4 years don't do it going forward either.

prime1time wrote:... for Avdija being part of the long-term vision for this team... The only realistic scenario I can think of is if we just decided to tear it down and rebuild. Then Avdija could lead the tank.

Of course we're going to tear it down and rebuild!

We have an all-new FO. The new guys have a full runway starting now: they get no blame for the condition of this team.

You think they're going to build on this mess? There's nothing they need to salvage. You don't hire Michael Winger & Travis Schlenk to dick around. You hire them to change things.

With the exception of Kispert & maybe Gafford &/or Goodwin, I'll be shocked if any current Wizard is still on the team 2 years from now.

That includes Deni -- even if he gets a lot better.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,902

Post#59 » by TGW » Sat Jun 3, 2023 5:37 pm

I think they should offer him a modest contract extension now.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#60 » by tleikheen » Sat Jun 3, 2023 8:12 pm

Neither of them was good. But Deni was better than Rui. Just look at the numbers.

You dont watch much basketball other than Wizards,easy to see.
The numbers that count are the Lakers looking at signing Rui 4yrs at 80 million to hold onto him and wondering if the Wizards getting a Jarace Walker, Ausar Thompson ,Grady Dick in the draft is Avidja's days in DC in jeopardy.

Return to Washington Wizards