Ryan Rollins

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,360

Re: Ryan Rollins 

Post#21 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 1:46 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Seriously, they better hope Bilal hits and they hit a double with our 2024 pick, because right now I’m not impressed with the FO moves.

Well, it means that the Chris Paul trade was a bust, but I haven't been disappointed in their other moves. The Phoenix package for Beal might turn out pretty well. Bilal was a good pick. Deni was a good contract. Kuzma's contract is looking like it has value.

Let's face it, they didn't have much to work with when they came aboard.

A real test will be what happens at the trade deadline. Will they manage to turn our expiring contract vets and TPE's into picks?
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#22 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jan 9, 2024 2:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Seriously, they better hope Bilal hits and they hit a double with our 2024 pick, because right now I’m not impressed with the FO moves.

Well, it means that the Chris Paul trade was a bust, but I haven't been disappointed in their other moves. The Phoenix package for Beal might turn out pretty well. Bilal was a good pick. Deni was a good contract. Kuzma's contract is looking like it has value.

Let's face it, they didn't have much to work with when they came aboard.

A real test will be what happens at the trade deadline. Will they manage to turn our expiring contract vets and TPE's into picks?

Agreed Nate. There is a litany of decisions on the horizon that will shape this team for the next 6-8 years, but there is a butterfly effect here. "Getting nothing" from the CP3 trade would be one thing, but we have Poole for 3 MORE years. He is taking PT/Shots away from Kispert, Davis, Butler, and Bilal while simultaneously being TERRIBLE.
I have a feeling that we still haven't seen the bottom of this trade and its effects.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,910

Post#23 » by TGW » Tue Jan 9, 2024 2:53 pm

The Poole trade was an absolutely disastrous trade. A top-20 protected pick in 2030 is not worth Poole's damage to the team's rebuilding efforts.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,323

Post#24 » by NatP4 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:12 pm

Dumping Baldwin was a good move though, he’s a non prospect. Signing Jared Butler was a home run. The front office is doing good things IMO.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#25 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:18 pm

NatP4 wrote:Dumping Baldwin was a good move though, he’s a non prospect. Signing Jared Butler was a home run. The front office is doing good things IMO.

They dumped Baldwin? I haven't seen that anywhere. My Twitter is excited about Baldwin getting 30 points and 9 boards with the Go-Go last night (on 14-19 shooting):

Read on Twitter
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,323

Post#26 » by NatP4 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:21 pm

Meant Rollins, but Baldwin is also a total non prospect that should be released soon.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#27 » by nate33 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:56 pm

Rollins actually had $600K in salary guaranteed for next year. The only real explanation for this was that there was an off-the-court issue. I just don't see why they would cut Rollins of all people to generate a roster spot - particularly when all they did with the roster spot was add Hamidou Diallo.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by pcbothwel » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:52 pm

NatP4 wrote:Meant Rollins, but Baldwin is also a total non prospect that should be released soon.

Ehh. He has a guaranteed deal and while Im not a fan of his archetype, there is a slim chance that he turns in MPJ...which is certainly something. When his shot is falling its like KD, MPJ, Hot Bertans... you really cant do much when a guy that size is hitting long 3's.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 838

Post#29 » by 9 and 20 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:21 pm

This was kinda out of nowhere and I agree that it looks like maybe it was an off the court thing. On the court, we have plenty of worse players, and we're probably about to dump at least one guard at the trade deadline. Doesn't make too much sense to just cut this guy unless there's more there.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?
PaulinVA
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#30 » by PaulinVA » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:18 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,971

Post#31 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:59 am

Read on Twitter

ALEXANDRIA, Va. — Former Washington Wizards guard Ryan Rollins, who was waived by the team Monday night, is accused of repeatedly shoplifting from a Target store, according to documents on file at Alexandria General District Court and obtained by The Athletic.

Police said in court documents that Rollins stole small household items such as groceries, body wash and candles from a Target store on seven different occasions from Sept. 9 to Nov. 9, when he was on the Wizards’ roster. He was charged with seven counts of petit larceny, and the items alleged to have been stolen in each incident were valued at less than $1,000.

Petit larceny of goods worth less than $1,000 from a business is classified as a Class 1 misdemeanor in Virginia.

A court hearing has been scheduled for early February, and Rollins has yet to enter a plea.

Rollins’ attorney Nathan Muyskens and agent Mike Silverman declined to comment when reached Thursday by The Athletic.

The Wizards waived Rollins, 21, on Monday night after he had played in 10 regular-season games. The reserve guard came to the Wizards as part of a trade package over the summer, with Washington trading Chris Paul to the Golden State Warriors and receiving Jordan Poole, Rollins, Patrick Baldwin Jr., a 2027 second-pick and a top-20 protected 2030 first-round pick.

Releasing Rollins, a young player with clear potential on the defensive end, seemed like a curious move for the rebuilding Wizards, who rank last in the NBA in points allowed per possession and may trade veteran players before the upcoming NBA trade deadline on Feb. 8.

“We just recently learned of the charges against Ryan,” Monumental Basketball president Michael Winger told The Athletic. “We cannot comment on that matter, or the basis for our roster decisions.” Winger added: “We do take our role very seriously as citizens of the DMV, representatives of our fans and a team our community can be proud of. These are expectations, not aspirations. We’re eager to move forward with our team as constituted and pursue excellence on and off the court.”

On Tuesday, using the roster spot created by Rollins’ release, the Wizards signed guard Hamidou Diallo to a 10-day contract.

Rollins’ $1.7 million salary for the 2023-24 season was fully guaranteed, and $600,000 of his 2024-25 salary was fully guaranteed. Now that Rollins has cleared waivers, those salaries, which are miniscule relative to the NBA salary cap, will count against the Wizards’ cap figures in those respective seasons.

Rollins originally went to theWarriors in a draft-night trade after the Atlanta Hawks selected him 44th overall in 2022 out of the University of Toledo. He appeared in 12 regular-season games for the Warriors as a rookie.

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,910

Post#32 » by TGW » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:36 am

Him stealing from Target as a millionaire is a reflection of his attitude and lack of character. This was probably the final straw with him...lord knows what other nonsense he was doing that wasn't reported.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,355

Post#33 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:10 am

Article that discusses why rich people steal https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/04/wealthy-people-shoplift-rob-steal-why?

Apparently people may be gong through tough times or feel powerless in their current situation.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Post#34 » by gambitx777 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:13 am

Kanyewest wrote:Article that discusses why rich people steal https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/04/wealthy-people-shoplift-rob-steal-why?

Apparently people may be gong through tough times or feel powerless in their current situation.
I'm sorry I can't get down with that you making more than I'll ever make in 20 years and you gonna steal. That should be Triple the charges for stupidity.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#35 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:19 pm

TGW wrote:Him stealing from Target as a millionaire is a reflection of his attitude and lack of character. This was probably the final straw with him...lord knows what other nonsense he was doing that wasn't reported.

Yeah, the stealing itself raises a giant red flag that he is not a guy who can be trusted to follow the team rules. And the likelihood is, he has probably done worse, and the team just doesn't want to deal with the headache.

He is young and presumably immature. As long as he hasn't hurt anyone, he deserves a second chance after he has paid restitution. But I can understand why the Wizards don't want to be the team to gives him that second chance. I hope he has someone around him who can help guide him through this part of his life.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,355

Post#36 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:18 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:Article that discusses why rich people steal https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/nov/04/wealthy-people-shoplift-rob-steal-why?

I'm sorry I can't get down with that you making more than I'll ever make in 20 years and you gonna steal. That should be Triple the charges for stupidity.

Yeah it's illogical but shoplifting is happening from people who can afford it (see Winona Ryder). Not saying Rollins should have kept his job, clearly committed a crime.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by pcbothwel » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:33 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:

Yeah it's illogical but shoplifting is happening from people who can afford it (see Winona Ryder). Not saying Rollins should have kept his job, clearly committed a crime.

Wife ran a law firm in the DC area and said this happens a ton. Worst part... they NEVER stop. Mostly women, but almost every time they would have been caught twice and the convo would go:
"Hey, this is the second time and if you get caught doing this again its a felony and you'll do 10-12 months in jail"
"I know, I have a problem and it wont happen again"
...3 months later, they do it again. EVERY TIME.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,164

Post#38 » by AFM » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:15 pm

Yeah obviously it's an issue upstairs. He definitely doesn't need to be stealing candles.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,532

Post#39 » by closg00 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:50 pm

Good Lord, F’ing stealing from Target!? I am immediately of Micheal Vick who ran a dog-fighting ring, WHY :crazy: :nonono:
Poor character, it’s this kind of sh it that made Tommy fill the roster with vanilla Euro-types and clean kids.
9 and 20
Rookie
And1: 838

Post#40 » by 9 and 20 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:30 pm

Put this whole episode in the Book of So Wiz. We find so many ways to be interesting, in the saddest way possible.
Can't say I do. Who else gonna shoot?

Return to Washington Wizards