ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Wizards finalizing deal to acquire Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Livers and picks for Galinari and Mike Muscala…

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,266

Woj: Wizards finalizing deal to acquire Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Livers and picks for Galinari and Mike Muscala… 

Post#1 » by MikeTheKid » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hibachi_0
Sophomore
And1: 95

Re: Woj: Wizards finalizing deal to acquire Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Livers and picks for Galinari and Mike Muscala… 

Post#2 » by Hibachi_0 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:30 pm

Well, didn't expect to get nothing for them tbh. At least we get to experience Bagley is not worth anything I guess.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Re: Woj: Wizards finalizing deal to acquire Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Livers and picks for Galinari and Mike Muscala… 

Post#3 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:47 pm

Great deal. I had resigned myself to the likelihood that Gallo and Moose would be bought out. I didn't think they had any value at all. Getting two SRP's, particularly if they're Detroit SRP's, is awesome!

EDIT: Looking at their picks owed, they already owe their SRP in 2024, 2025, and 2026. So I'm guess we are getting some of the picks they had stockpiled from other trades. They currently own our 2024 SRP, a complicated 2026 that looks like it will be pretty late, the Dallas 2027 SRP (or Brooklyn, whichever is worse), and the 2029 Milwaukee SRP (which might be pretty good).
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,606

Post#4 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:51 pm

Interesting.
We take on bagleys 12.5M salary next year, so at least one of those 2nds needs to be a top 40 pick this year. We’ll see

Bailey is a good get for us. We need another big to eat minutes, especially if we move gafford.
Bailey has actually turned into a solid scorer that will put up counting stats, but he is still below average defensively.
This is good as I believe one of the linchpins to winning comes is a good defender at the 5… so we’ll still lose enough this/next year… lol

Livers sucks and just chucks 3’s. Filler only.
Again. We are taking on 6M this year and 12m next year, so at least one 2nd needs to be a real good one.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,281

Post#5 » by DCZards » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:52 pm

Maybe Bagley can resurrect his career after having a very good rookie season. At the very least, he’s a big body and probably a better rebounder than anyone else currently on the roster (other than Deni.) I know that’s not saying much.

Livers in past years has been a good 3pt shooter…not so much this year. Played with Poole at Michigan.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#6 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:56 pm

It's shocking how bad Isaiah Livers is. The guy is averaging just 9 points per 36 and posting a TS% of .460. How can you shoot that poorly when your usage is that low? He is posting a -10.1 point differential on the worst team in league history.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,815

Post#7 » by closg00 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:57 pm

Win-win, we upgraded the corpses of Dano/Mike for a more useful front court player, that fact that he is mediocre doesn’t bother me as-much as seeing Dano/Mike painful play on the floor.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#8 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:59 pm

pcbothwel wrote:Interesting.
We take on bagleys 12.5M salary next year, so at least one of those 2nds needs to be a top 40 pick this year. We’ll see.

Yikes! I thought Bagley was expiring. This downgrades my assessment of the deal considerably. We just paid $12.2M for two SRP's. That's not much of a bargain.

I see no value in Bagley at all, except as a minutes eater. He has been around the league long enough to show us who he is. And who he is is a guy that doesn't help you win games and isn't getting any better.

Ultimately, the opportunity cost is that 2024-25 salary. If lack of cap room keeps us out of a potential BOYD trade this summer, then this deal would be bad.

That said, we do have a couple of large TPE's to put to work this summer even if we don't end up with much raw cap room. So maybe it won't matter. Maybe it's just Ted's money that was spent and not any true cap flexibility.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,189

Post#9 » by J-Ves » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:07 pm

Bad trade. We take on 12 million in salary next year for two useless picks(likely picks in the 50-60 range). We would have been better off doing nothing
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,495

Post#10 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:19 pm

Not sure what I’m missing here. This feels like highway robbery. We sacrificed a bit of cap room and got back two seconds and, maybe just maybe a rotation player.

Why would Detroit do it?
In Rizzo we trust
trast66
Rookie
And1: 618

Post#11 » by trast66 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:46 pm

nate33 wrote:
pcbothwel wrote:Interesting.
We take on bagleys 12.5M salary next year, so at least one of those 2nds needs to be a top 40 pick this year. We’ll see.

Yikes! I thought Bagley was expiring. This downgrades my assessment of the deal considerably. We just paid $12.2M for two SRP's. That's not much of a bargain.

I see no value in Bagley at all, except as a minutes eater. He has been around the league long enough to show us who he is. And who he is is a guy that doesn't help you win games and isn't getting any better.

Ultimately, the opportunity cost is that 2024-25 salary. If lack of cap room keeps us out of a potential BOYD trade this summer, then this deal would be bad.

That said, we do have a couple of large TPE's to put to work this summer even if we don't end up with much raw cap room. So maybe it won't matter. Maybe it's just Ted's money that was spent and not any true cap flexibility.

Good point on the TPEs, not sure how new CBA plays in to their utility.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,576

Post#12 » by mhd » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:48 pm

J-Ves wrote:Bad trade. We take on 12 million in salary next year for two useless picks(likely picks in the 50-60 range). We would have been better off doing nothing

We still have to reach the 90% ceiling that is required for the new CBA. This deal helps accomplish that. Better to get a couple of 2nds and the ability not to overpay in next year's weak FA. We also get a much needed backup center.

We want to be bad for the foreseeable future to ensure that Knick's pick never triggers. Heck, the Athletic article from Josh Robbins stated as much.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 944

Post#13 » by WallToWall » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:53 pm

2nd rnd picks are valuable. Remember, we had to move up to get Bilal… and sacrificed a 2nd rnd pick to make it happen.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,606

Post#14 » by pcbothwel » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:14 pm

J-Ves wrote:Bad trade. We take on 12 million in salary next year for two useless picks(likely picks in the 50-60 range). We would have been better off doing nothing

Looks like the picks are our 2025 2nd (top 40) and the better of 2026 Knicks or Twolves (Probably Knicks in the 48-53 range).
Ehhh. Fair trade.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,120

Post#15 » by Frichuela » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:15 pm

I mean better than nothing to be honest.

It seems that one the 2nd rounders would be the worst of 2025 WAS or DET 2nds. Not a bad pick to be honest, likely to be 31-35 next year.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,120

Post#16 » by Frichuela » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:23 pm

pcbothwel wrote:

Looks like the picks are our 2025 2nd (top 40) and the better of 2026 Knicks or Twolves (Probably Knicks in the 48-53 range).
Ehhh. Fair trade.

Agreed. More specifics on the 2026 pick

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=ICcggtNoAgpgLzxKVsmDBw
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,189

Post#17 » by J-Ves » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:24 pm

Frichuela wrote:I mean better than nothing to be honest.

It seems that one the 2nd rounders would be the worst of 2025 WAS or DET 2nds. Not a bad pick to be honest, likely to be 31-35 next year.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=GWeuz7j_sc5cBYZzdD92Tw

Ok I think this is a fair trade then
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:33 pm

So, probably the Detroit 2025 pick and the NY 2026 pick. I'm guessing maybe the 34th pick and the 49th pick.

I like that they're from the 2025 and 2026 drafts, which look a bit stronger than the 2024 draft.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,728

Post#19 » by 80sballboy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:58 pm

Nothing exciting but I'm back after missing about 3-4 months for the first time from this board possibly ever and am hopeful we can get better picks for other guys (Jones, Kuz). We got two seconds for crap and yes, took on a bad contract in Bagley (we're not winning next season either). Welcome to the NBA of 2024. The rebulid is not going to take months, it will take years. Tough when you are getting older and already saw a rebuild that didn't work out completely, but you have to trust whatever we're calling this, Trust the Walkins. :)
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,810

Post#20 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:37 pm

Really underrated move. We were really struggling with our center position and Mike wasn't ever gonna be the answer. We were also I like kicking the tires on livers. Two second rounders and some young guys with potential to turn it around. I love it. A+

Bagley will get time

Livers might get cut or end up on the gogo. Depends on if he has a connection to the front office. With Bernard, Omoruyi and diallo he's a bit redundant pulling bench warmer duty.

We Bassically paid 17 mill for a look at Bagley and 2 seconds pricy but creative.

Det saves 4-5 mill this year and 12.5 next.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

Return to Washington Wizards