ImageImageImageImageImage

Woj: Wizards finalizing deal to acquire Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Livers and picks for Galinari and Mike Muscala…

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,735

Re: Woj: Wizards finalizing deal to acquire Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Livers and picks for Galinari and Mike Muscala… 

Post#61 » by gambitx777 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:39 pm

The dudes 24 how could he not be part of a rebuild ?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,360

Re: Woj: Wizards finalizing deal to acquire Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Livers and picks for Galinari and Mike Muscala… 

Post#62 » by nate33 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:56 pm

gambitx777 wrote:The dudes 24 how could he not be part of a rebuild ?

He has been in the league for 6 years and has shown virtually no statistical improvement in the last 3 years. I think he is what he is - a backup 4/5 scorer who doesn't help you win. Let's face it, he was unwanted by two bad teams. Sacramento only got a SRP for him when they unloaded him in the middle of his 3rd year of his rookie deal. And now Detroit paid two SRP's just to dump the last year of his salary.

I think the best we can hope for is that he's a better fit on this team with our superior shooting, and he ends up as a respectable backup center hopefully worth nearly what he is actually paid. But even in that case, he will still be an unrestricted free agent in 2025 who will cost well less than the MLE (meaning our Bird Rights would be essentially worthless).

The bottom line is that he will almost surely end up as a random journeyman free agent in 2025. He is not an asset for anyone's future.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,355

Post#63 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:12 am

nate33 wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:The dudes 24 how could he not be part of a rebuild ?

He has been in the league for 6 years and has shown virtually no statistical improvement in the last 3 years. I think he is what he is - a backup 4/5 scorer who doesn't help you win. Let's face it, he was unwanted by two bad teams. Sacramento only got a SRP for him when they unloaded him in the middle of his 3rd year of his rookie deal. And now Detroit paid two SRP's just to dump the last year of his salary.

I think the best we can hope for is that he's a better fit on this team with our superior shooting, and he ends up as a respectable backup center hopefully worth nearly what he is actually paid. But even in that case, he will still be an unrestricted free agent in 2025 who will cost well less than the MLE (meaning our Bird Rights would be essentially worthless).

The bottom line is that he will almost surely end up as a random journeyman free agent in 2025. He is not an asset for anyone's future.

The Pistons actually gave up 2 2nd rounders and Trey Lyles who is posting a TS% of 61% since the Kings acquired him.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,965

Post#64 » by Klomp » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:04 pm

nate33 wrote:
PaulinVA wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting.

I'm assuming it was because TPE's were involved. I guess Detroit had a TPE large enough to absorb Muscala so that was treated like a separate trade: Muscala for TPE, which left us with a $3.5M TPE.

What I don't understand is the remaining portion of the deal. It was effectively a trade of Bagley's $12.5M salary and Gallo's $6.8M salary. The difference between those two salaries is $5.7M, which is where the Detroit TPE was created, but how did we execute a trade that was this lopsided? We weren't $5.7M under the cap and we didn't have a TPE big enough to absorb Bagley's total salary. The CBA lets you make lopsided trades with a salary differential as high as $5M. I don't know how we absorbed a $5.7M differential to generate a TPE.

I wonder if we somehow used our large $12.3M TPE for the Porzingis trade. If so, that would suck because that's a valuable asset to help some other team get under the luxtax.

Just popping around here, and figured I'd chime in with my interpretation of what happened. Remember that each team can arrange their books however they'd like.

I think Livers perhaps went into the CP3 exception. That looks like it dropped from $3,344,643 to $1,508,547.
Then I bet you combined the Gallo and Muscala numbers to match the Bagley contract.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Washington Wizards