ImageImageImageImageImage

Marvin Bagley thread: Redemption in the DMV?

Moderators: montestewart, LyricalRico, nate33

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 4,092

Marvin Bagley thread: Redemption in the DMV? 

Post#1 » by tontoz » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:36 pm

Nice debut for the former number 2.

https://youtu.be/l-4pkkgmuDM?si=ZSYVu3CY-WzimEV2
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Re: Marvin Bagley thread: Redemption in the DMV? 

Post#2 » by dobrojim » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:19 pm

Agreed on the debut although presumably, he'll be better at the FT line going forward.
A tarheel friend told me an issue with him has been a Mr Ball type father. I'd think
in the NBA, that wouldn't be tolerated. He has the requisite /physical/ tools without which he
wouldn't have been a #2 overall. Time has flown for him with 6 years in the Assoc
but he's still pretty young. As Yogi said, it's 90% mental, the other half is physical.
The potential is there but you have to wonder why it hasn't come together for him.
Could he be in a similar mold as our old friend JaVale who became a decent player
after a considerably lengthy period of seasoning? We have no choice but to wait and see.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#3 » by nate33 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:55 pm

I was pleasantly surprised by his defense in that New York game. He had good positioning defending the pick-and-roll and got his hands on a lot of passes. And he also knew when to step in and block shots in help defense.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 501

Post#4 » by bsilver » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:57 pm

At least he’s given us a reason to watch and take an interest in the team. This is a perfect opportunity. We stink so there’s no pressure and there’s no other alternative as backup center. Gafford is nothing special so Bagley could end up with more minutes.
Playing Galinauri at center was Wizards management saying to the fans, we don’t give damn about you and expect you’ll put up with whatever garbage we put in the floor.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
badinage
Sixth Man
And1: 1,070

Post#5 » by badinage » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:32 pm

^ Not really. It was: we need to ensure we get a Top 5 pick.
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 501

Post#6 » by bsilver » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:20 pm

^ It was clear from the beginning that we were a bottom 3 team, talent wise. Tweaks at C weren't going to change that. The only threat is a team like Charlotte having so many injuries, they decide they're going to be worse than us.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 944

Post#7 » by WallToWall » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:37 am

Bags with 2 games in and two double-doubles. He will do fine for us. Once he starts showing his mid range game again (and he does have a mid range), he will start to play more dynamically, and the spacing on the floor will improve.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 6,137

Post#8 » by TGW » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:46 am

I've been impressed with his effort and activity so far. Good acquisition.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 4,092

Post#9 » by tontoz » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:30 pm

I can give him a bit of a pass on the 8-19 shooting since Wemby was guarding him. However I definitely don't like seeing him shooting 3s. I don't want to see another Josh Smith scenario.

With his size and athleticism he can do a lot of damage inside, both on the offensive glass and as a passing outlet. Standing around on the perimeter just makes things easier on the defense.

Good job on the boards and on defense.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 492

Post#10 » by Halcyon » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:27 pm

Seems like his big issue is staying healthy. Otherwise he plays solid
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#11 » by nate33 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:53 pm

tontoz wrote:I can give him a bit of a pass on the 8-19 shooting since Wemby was guarding him. However I definitely don't like seeing him shooting 3s. I don't want to see another Josh Smith scenario.

With his size and athleticism he can do a lot of damage inside, both on the offensive glass and as a passing outlet. Standing around on the perimeter just makes things easier on the defense.

As you said, with Wemby around, maybe it was part of the strategy to camp out on the perimeter just to keep Wemby away from the rim.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,425

Post#12 » by Kanyewest » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:28 pm

tontoz wrote:I can give him a bit of a pass on the 8-19 shooting since Wemby was guarding him. However I definitely don't like seeing him shooting 3s. I don't want to see another Josh Smith scenario.

I missed the game but theoretically I don't mind seeing him shoot 3s - maybe there is a chance that he can improve down the line.

Bagley made his 1st 3 since October. Low sample size theater but by shooting 1 of 3, Bagley is shooting a higher percentage from deep than both Muscala(29) and Gallinari(31%)
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#13 » by WallToWall » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:56 pm

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/marvin-bagley-shot-chart-by-season

He is able to make 3 pt shots. Granted it’s very low volume. His past playing style and shots taken was a function of the type of offense he was in, and the position he was playing. Look at what he did in college also. He is capable of making mid-range shots, and can make enough 3ptrs to keep defenders honest.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 4,282

Post#14 » by DCZards » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:52 pm

It’s nice to have a center who can make short jumpers and an occasional 3 like Bagley is capable of doing.

Gaff has been great this season. Probably his best season thus far as a Zard. So I’m not about to complain about his performance. Gaff plays hard, almost always makes shots at the rim when given the opportunity, and is an above average rim protector. (Although I do wish he was a better rebounder.)

But Gaff is never going to be a threat to score from anywhere other than right at the basket. So having Bagley gives the Zards an offensive dimension that we lack with Gaff.
Gusto1903
Sixth Man
And1: 2,466

Post#15 » by Gusto1903 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:25 am

As a fantasy owner of Bagley, is there any chance of Gafford and Bagley coexisting on the court? The minutes drop after Gaffords comeback makes me wonder, if i drop bagley or not.
On the Alperen Sengün hypetrain since 2020
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#16 » by dobrojim » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:17 pm

bsilver wrote:At least he’s given us a reason to watch and take an interest in the team. This is a perfect opportunity. We stink so there’s no pressure and there’s no other alternative as backup center. Gafford is nothing special so Bagley could end up with more minutes.
Playing Galinauri at center was Wizards management saying to the fans, we don’t give damn about you and expect you’ll put up with whatever garbage we put in the floor.

I take some exception to this. I wouldn't call him elite or an AS but it seems to be he is among the least
of our lineup problems. Our keepers are BIlal, Deni and Gaff and maybe Kispert. Jones is very good
but I doubt he stays and might best be flipped assuming we get fair return.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 7,057

Post#17 » by FAH1223 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:32 pm

Gusto1903 wrote:As a fantasy owner of Bagley, is there any chance of Gafford and Bagley coexisting on the court? The minutes drop after Gaffords comeback makes me wonder, if i drop bagley or not.

If both of them are there after the deadline, potentially.

But Kuzma has to be traded since he is playing a lot of PF minutes.
WallToWall
Veteran

Post#18 » by WallToWall » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:11 am

3rd double double in 4 games. He needs to shoot 100 FT’s in practice. He shouldn’t miss all those free points.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 6,137

Post#19 » by TGW » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:58 am

He's damn good. It's hilarious that he couldn't get minutes on a terrible Pistons team and that pathetic frontcourt they have there.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,189

Post#20 » by J-Ves » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:36 am

I had a feeling he would play well for us. This team didn't know what a offensive rebound was until Bagley showed up

Return to Washington Wizards